Chargers at Cardinals MNF gameday thread 10-21-24

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm very happy for the win. I'm glad I did not watch the game, I think it might have been the worst NFL highlight video I've ever seen. The only Kyler passes it contained were the big runs by Conner and most of it was defensive highlights. Dire.

Was like watching a drunk bum beat up an even more drunk bum with one arm.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the plus side Melton led the team in tackles, which suggests he played a lot more (I assume SMB went out early). Saw he had at least one PBU too. Hopefully this seems him permanently start.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm very happy for the win. I'm glad I did not watch the game, I think it might have been the worst NFL highlight video I've ever seen. The only Kyler passes it contained were the big runs by Conner and most of it was defensive highlights. Dire.

Was like watching a drunk bum beat up an even more drunk bum with one arm.
I went to bed during halftime. Although we were up 7-6 the game was a grinder.

It was a good thing most football fans didn’t have viewing access:)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda a glass half empty person huh??? Not that you won't be proven right in your assessment but you never can tell... I kinda don't think it helped this team in any way shape or form when you have the number 4 pick in the draft and a bunch of picks because you're rebuilding and the NFL decides to schedule 5 of your first 6 games against playoff teams ( Good luck rookies lol.) that made the playoffs for the past 2 seasons.. The NY Giants are 2-5 ( with and easier first 6 weeks ) than the Cardinals and they picked 6th, don't even mention the Seahawks first 6 games smh, take a look at their schedule. They should be undefeated even after week 7.
Cardinals have had the 2nd toughest schedule to date

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB's and WR's are a symbiotic relationship. While MHJ hasn't lit the world on fire it's clear that Kyler and this offence is holding him back.

This is evidenced in the one game where Kyler played well as a passer and the offense was on fire, and he had 2 TD's and 100+ yards. It's not MHJ limiting Kyler, it's Kyler limiting MHJ. Limiting the whole passing offense TBH.
Clear maybe to you. Not to many of the rest of us. I see the opposite on MHJ

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
QB's and WR's are a symbiotic relationship. While MHJ hasn't lit the world on fire it's clear that Kyler and this offence is holding him back.

This is evidenced in the one game where Kyler played well as a passer and the offense was on fire, and he had 2 TD's and 100+ yards. It's not MHJ limiting Kyler, it's Kyler limiting MHJ. Limiting the whole passing offense TBH.

I really don't think you can objectively say this. I see a body catching WR, who is playing at a slow game speed, dropping very catchable balls, and rarely getting separation from DBs. What I also see is a combo not on the same page, and a bunch of couch jockeys trying to convince each other that their bias represents the correct answer.

Reality is, we don't know squat, but regardless of of which opinion is correct, it sure is disappointing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole idea is to find a way to win

This is what good teams do

This team usually finds new ways to lose

Last night we found a way to win when the Chargers gave the opportunity
Ok, this is probably the best response yet. Not enough people understand what the Cardinals are trying to do. I listened again to a few more interviews last night. Cardinal coaches & players alike are saying again that they are PROCESS driven and NOT results driven. Love it or hate it, that’s how they’re attempting to build this thing. Part of that process is taking what the defense gives you. The Chargers play that annoying shell defense, so the Cardinals emphasized the run game & short passes. MHJ was being double teamed all night, so they went elsewhere. Day by day, week by week, they are pushing PROCESS. When even 2nd string DL are talking about process, believe what they say they are doing. The only players on the offense that are good enough to take any advantage of this process are Kyler, Conner, and McBride. Did Zay Jones even play last night? We need contributions from more people to force defenses to adjust to us instead of us adjusting to them. Bidwill wants SUSTAINED SUCCESS & this is what MOJG believe is the path to it. Until we have more talent on BOTH sides of the ball, this isn’t ever going to look pretty. If not for the 2 ugly losses, I think that most of us would be happy with 3-4 based on the difficulty of schedule we’ve faced.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

how many passes does MHJ have to drop before you put some blame on him?

Don't get me wrong, we aren't throwing to him enough, but maybe it's because Kyler does not trust him to make a play.

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score
The whole idea is to find a way to win

This is what good teams do

This team usually finds new ways to lose

Last night we found a way to win when the Chargers gave the opportunity

Ugly wins are great wins. It shows the team can grind out a tough game which we have never been able to do in the past. Young thin teams usually can’t win like this. It’s just more evidence JG is a good coach but man we need a lot more talent on both sides of the ball.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Ok, this is probably the best response yet. Not enough people understand what the Cardinals are trying to do. I listened again to a few more interviews last night. Cardinal coaches & players alike are saying again that they are PROCESS driven and NOT results driven. Love it or hate it, that’s how they’re attempting to build this thing. Part of that process is taking what the defense gives you. The Chargers play that annoying shell defense, so the Cardinals emphasized the run game & short passes. MHJ was being double teamed all night, so they went elsewhere. Day by day, week by week, they are pushing PROCESS. When even 2nd string DL are talking about process, believe what they say they are doing. The only players on the offense that are good enough to take any advantage of this process are Kyler, Conner, and McBride. Did Zay Jones even play last night? We need contributions from more people to force defenses to adjust to us instead of us adjusting to them. Bidwill wants SUSTAINED SUCCESS & this is what MOJG believe is the path to it. Until we have more talent on BOTH sides of the ball, this isn’t ever going to look pretty. If not for the 2 ugly losses, I think that most of us would be happy with 3-4 based on the difficulty of schedule we’ve faced.
Zay Jones was open on the last drive and Kyler missed him. Beat his man in a crosser.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the plus side Melton led the team in tackles, which suggests he played a lot more (I assume SMB went out early). Saw he had at least one PBU too. Hopefully this seems him permanently start.
He did play more, and the Chargers were intentionally targeting him, that's why he had more tackles.

He didn't really play that great, but Murphy-bunting has been far from great also.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't think you can objectively say this. I see a body catching WR, who is playing at a slow game speed, dropping very catchable balls, and rarely getting separation from DBs. What I also see is a combo not on the same page, and a bunch of couch jockeys trying to convince each other that their bias represents the correct answer.

Reality is, we don't know squat, but regardless of of which opinion is correct, it sure is disappointing.

We all saw his college tape, and multiple first round wide receivers out of Ohio (Wilson, Olave, Smith-Njigba) have said MHJ was the best WR out of the 3 of them.

He didn't suddenly get bad.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I don't think you can have the convo about any one of Petzing, Murray or MHJ when discussing the matter. They all play a part is the underwhelming production from that group. They all have to do better.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

The way our front seven shut down their running game was amazing!

A big part of that performance was coaching and leadership because it damn sure wasn't Naquan Jones out-talenting the Charger offensive lineman in front of him.

There was even a semblance of pass-rush last night too.

It was an inspired effort from the defense. Truly. Credit to JG and NR and to all 22 starters and back ups.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zay Jones was open on the last drive and Kyler missed him. Beat his man in a crosser.
Kyler was not accurate down the field in this game. Thankfully he made the short throws he needed, and used his legs to generate a critical scoring play. We would all like to see better but it was good enough for that game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
how many passes does MHJ have to drop before you put some blame on him?

Don't get me wrong, we aren't throwing to him enough, but maybe it's because Kyler does not trust him to make a play.
Meh. Petzing isn't consistently getting him the ball. Kyler has been inaccurate and not looking his way. MHJ needs to be stronger to the ball, and catch the ball. It's all 3.

Kyler not trusting him to make a play is similar to MHJ not trusting Kyler to throw an accurate ball. Gotta get over it.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score

I don’t agree with this at all.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you can have the convo about any one of Petzing, Murray or MHJ when discussing the matter. They all play a part is the underwhelming production from that group. They all have to do better.

They do, you're right, but the reason I'm going to give Kyler more criticism is that MHJ is a rookie, Petzing is in year 2 in his first coordinator role and Kyler is in year 6 and should be past this by now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way our front seven shut down their running game was amazing!

A big part of that performance was coaching and leadership because it damn sure wasn't Naquan Jones out-talenting the Charger offensive lineman in front of him.

There was even a semblance of pass-rush last night too.

It was an inspired effort from the defense. Truly. Credit to JG and NR and to all 22 starters and back ups.

It's funny because coming into this year, and still through the games so far, the defense had low expectation and the offense was supposed to continue where it left off in the last 5 games of last year.

The reality has been that the defense won the Niners and Chargers games, and while the offense played well vs the Rams, the defense was also lights out. Limiting the Rams to only 10 points with Kupp for a half, a team that then beat the 49ers and scored 27 the week after.

Arguably the defense has been the bright spot of this team. It's almost all pure effort and coaching, but still.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's funny because coming into this year, and still through the games so far, the defense had low expectation and the offense was supposed to continue where it left off in the last 5 games of last year.

The reality has been that the defense won the Niners and Chargers games, and while the offense played well vs the Rams, the defense was also lights out. Limiting the Rams to only 10 points with Kupp for a half, a team that then beat the 49ers and scored 27 the week after.

Arguably the defense has been the bright spot of this team. It's almost all pure effort and coaching, but still.

Was thinking the exact same thing.

I'm going to post on the MIA pregame thread that I hope the defense can carry us again this week. :)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think people are overlooking how good the Chargers are on defense. Their defense is top 7 in yards and #1 in scoring. This was always going to be a game that needed the defense to step up to win.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I’m void of the humor you mention.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan