Edge James to visit Saturday

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
From whats being reported, he won't be able to do that. The Cards are going to try to negotiate a deal over the weekend. If he leaves, the deal will be pulled.

The Cards seem to be very serious about signing James

i hope you're right. where are you getting this stuff and why isn't the board being updated with what's being reported that leads you to this conclusion? i'm not being contrarian, i just want more to read.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i hope you're right. where are you getting this stuff and why isn't the board being updated with what's being reported that leads you to this conclusion? i'm not being contrarian, i just want more to read.

Gambo and Ash reported it. I don't know how true it is but they are the ones that said it.

I'm hoping Jurecki comes on for confirmation

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Gambo and Ash reported it. I don't know how true it is but they are the ones that said it.

I'm hoping Jurecki comes on for confirmation

Keep us posted on what you hear on the radio for us out of towners.

spanky1

Reaction score
Stout said:
Ah, gotcha...I forgot, you guys are on stupid...I mean, Arizona time :D

Just razzing you. Get him in here, and get him signed.

All of a sudden you are excited.....Edge versus the idea of Kosier and all the other "scrubs" Green et al want to bring in and sign.....you puppet master wannabe.

I used to like you....but you are no different than "sails in a wind".

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm really excited about this! For the Cards to be this aggressive at the start of FA is very unusual. I love the fact that we want to get a deal done this weekend.

This also opens up the possibility for Jamal Lewis if Edge doesn't sign.

spanky1

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i love your enthusiasm, but adding edge won't improve our oline. they're the same guys and if they can't be motivated to block for one guy 'cuz he's not edge, i don't want 'em on my team. the oline still sucks.

sorry to be the wet blanket but i'll believe the cards have a shot at edge when he signs. i won't be the least bit surprised if he cancels or uses us as the old bargaining chip.

You are a wet blanket...never offer any anything but "it can't possibly happen or he's a loser..or he's too fat....or he...or he or he.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
You are a wet blanket...never offer any anything but "it can't possibly happen or he's a loser..or he's too fat....or he...or he or he.

LMAO!!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
All of a sudden you are excited.....Edge versus the idea of Kosier and all the other "scrubs" Green et al want to bring in and sign.....you puppet master wannabe.

You spout off on here like you are all knowing and the final word on anything Cardinals. The you turn around and personally attacl stout in that manner? Completely unprovoked and way out of line. I hope it garners you the nice vacation that it warrants.

Last edited by a moderator:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Been out most of the day but was listening to Jurecki this morning when they were talking to Jay Glazer. He stated that Edge would be here this Saturday and was told to bring in his agent Drew. All hell broke loose after that with call ins from Cards fans. One thing that Jurecki did say was that Edge was a very strong and popular lock room influence and that players really looked up to him. Bickley also said that after the Card Colt game last year many Cardinal players asked Edge for his cell phone number and he gave it to them. Don't know what that is all about??

Finally, one of Denny's real strengths is recruiting. Even Graves last year after signing several of the free agents that the Cards wanted (Warner, Ross & Okeafor) said that Denny was a real master on selling the Cardinal program to them. IMO very optimistic on us having a real shot at getting Edge.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Less than 2 hours from free agency (unless another pushback)

I want edge, and I'd give him SA money in a heartbeat.

I hope that when edge shows up they say we're going to go see the new stadium. Do you want to see your contract now or after?

CDogg

Reaction score
I think the organization knows they need to make a big splash in FA this year with new stadium, and making sure they fill it up. Edge may have been to pricy before the new labor agreement, but now they have more money to spend. The extra 7.5 mil they have to spend is somewhere in the range of what they would have to pay Edge a year with bonuses and all so now it made it option to go after him and still stay on course with their original plan.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower the rhetoric folks.

We are all borderline insane right now wondering what is going to happen.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Lower the rhetoric folks.

We are all borderline insane right now wondering what is going to happen.

Nothing tonight.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

Dude, get over yourself. Act like a mature adult, please...I mean, what's your deal here?

I got upset with the reports of scrub FAs we may have been interested in. Then I get happy when I hear reports of bringing in quality FAs. This irks you so badly why? I mean, really, you're getting on people's cases for being wacky, but you're the one who's out there right now, bro.

Chill out, relax, and let FA unfold.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Here is some new info on Jamal Lewis out of ESPN

Lewis waiting: The phones were quiet for Ravens halfback Jamal Lewis on Friday night. He didn't receive any calls in the first hour after the start of free agency and doesn't have any visits scheduled at this early date.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Have there been any reports other than what was said on KGME this morning in regards to Edge visiting here? I would hate to think we are getting all worked up over an unverified report.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Azlen said:
Have there been any reports other than what was said on KGME this morning in regards to Edge visiting here? I would hate to think we are getting all worked up over an unverified report.

As of yet ... no. However the report was done by Glazer and confirmed by Jurecki so my guess at this point is that its legit.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0311cards0311.html

Cards to talk with James

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 11, 2006 12:00 AM

The Cardinals reportedly have reversed field and decided to pursue an elite running back in free agency after all.

In an interview Friday morning with KGME-AM (910), Jay Glazer of Foxsports.com said Indianapolis running back Edgerrin James and agent Drew Rosenhaus are scheduled to visit the Cardinals today, the opening day of free agency.

Rosenhaus declined comment Friday morning. League rules forbid team officials from talking to players and their agents before the start of free agency, although nearly every team in the league does it anyway.

If the report is true, it's a departure in philosophy for the Cardinals. Both coach Dennis Green and Vice President for Football Operations Rod Graves have said the team wasn't likely to pursue free agents at the top of the market.

That would include James, 27, who has twice led the NFL in rushing and is considered the best running back in free agency.

James played last year under the "franchise" designation, which paid him $9.1 million. In early February, James said he expected to play elsewhere in 2006, as the Colts made re-signing receiver Reggie Wayne a priority.

That deal is done. Without the recent extension of the collective bargaining agreement, it was questionable if the Colts had the cap space to re-sign James and extend the contract of defensive end Dwight Freeney.

The extension of the CBA, approved by owners this week, could help the Colts keep James. The new salary cap is $102 million, a $7.5 million increase over what it would have been without an extension. That makes it easier for the Colts to re-sign James.

The added cap room also apparently has convinced the Cardinals to pursue free agents at the top of the market.

"It allows us to take a look at more guys than we would under the pre-existing situation," Graves said Friday. "Our target list has expanded. That's about as much as I'll say about it."

The market appears to be set for elite running backs. Seattle re-signed Shaun Alexander earlier this week to an eight-year, $62 million deal.

That $62 million figure is a mirage, however, because Alexander is likely to earn just a fraction of it. The Seahawks could cut Alexander after three years and take a minimal hit to the salary cap.

The real numbers to pay attention to are in the first three years of the deal. Alexander received an $11.5 million signing bonus. The three-year value of the contract is $23 million, and the four-year value is $28.6 million. Alexander's cap figure is $6.5 million in 2006 and increases less than $1 million in the first three years of the deal.

The Cardinals have plenty of cap space to make a similar deal work. They're believed to be about $28 million under, and even budgeting for rookie salaries, possible contract extensions and to cover injuries, they should have around $18 million of space to use for free agency.

In addition, the new CBA allows teams to prorate signing bonuses over six years, lessening the salary-cap impact of new contracts.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It just seems weird that with a free agent as big as James and an agent as well known as Rosenhaus that there isn't any other reports mentioning his visit other than what was said on KGME or reporting what was said on KGME.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Azlen said:
It just seems weird that with a free agent as big as James and an agent as well known as Rosenhaus that there isn't any other reports mentioning his visit other than what was said on KGME or reporting what was said on KGME.

It was on KFFL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05