Is nobody else concerned about Fitz not getting seperation so far in camp?

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes.

sean taylor looked great last night.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there some reports of concerns about Sean Taylor's level of performance in practice? Yes, I seem to recall several gleefully posted on this board.

I'll wait and see how Fitz does in actual games before I get concerned.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
This was a rap on him coming out of school. Per Shane's update from camp it looks like it's holding true.

Yes, but his strength, and supperior jumping ability might help supress those feelings.

Peace
:thumbup:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Wasn't there some reports of concerns about Sean Taylor's level of performance in practice? Yes, I seem to recall several gleefully posted on this board.

I'll wait and see how Fitz does in actual games before I get concerned.
i hope yer right!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Yes, but his strength, and supperior jumping ability might help supress those feelings.

Peace
:thumbup:

Unless we are only going to throw fade route to Fitz.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
This was a rap on him coming out of school. Per Shane's update from camp it looks like it's holding true.

That's part of my confusion. Do we indeed have the best receiving corp or do we have a dang good secondary or neither or both. :shrug:

We'll start seeing next weekend I guess.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:

Yes and no, I've seen so many reports positively glowing about how good he is I've stopped worrying. That was my concern, I said several times I was concerned he was neither fast enough nor explosive enough and was relying on ability to get the ball in the air.

But I've just seen so many people who SHOULD know, drool over him at this point I've stopped worrying.

But that was my point about Roy Williams which I made weeks BEFORE Roy made the same point himself in suggesting he should be the first WR picked. If you watched films, most of the great Fitz players were in coverage, same often with Mike Williams, but with Roy you not only got those catches, you got the ones where he was 10 yards behind the defender (but didn't get the ball often with Young running so much).

So I absolutely WAS worried about it before, but no longer I'm convinced he's one of those guys who knows how to get open "enough" to catch the ball. I watched TO for years, he was never WIDE open either, but he was always open.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You guys are nuts. He was never supposed to be the burner, Bryant Johnson is. He is more of a Q type reciever with more size.

I saw several incredible catches last week at camp including one (8-10 yards) where he went very low between three defenders - keeping his body positioned in a way that no one but he could catch the ball. Most recievers don't get to that ball and not only did he get to it he somehow kept his feet for a couple more yards.

The second was a one handed, effortless Moss-like catch to the sidelines. This guy is the real deal and with a healthy Q and Johnson they will be very difficult to defend.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
That's part of my confusion. Do we indeed have the best receiving corp or do we have a dang good secondary or neither or both. :shrug:

We'll start seeing next weekend I guess.

Best question I've seen all week.

Fitz plays the slot. He's matched man-to-man by a safety - Adrian Wilson is on him most of the time. Adrian is very fast, that's why so many of you want him to play corner.

But I will say this, our secondary is so much better I was afraid to build it up too much. Forget that depth chart crap. The whole damned secondary with all the new guys is hugely upgraded.

Fitz still looks good most days. NOBODY looks good every day in camp. Aches, play calls, schemes, protection, all factor in.

Fitz is Chris Carter. Yes he is. And with Quan hurt, I'm damned glad we drafted him.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, not surprised at all. Saw it against Miami U. for 2 years. Tried to tell y"all.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Fitz plays the slot. He's matched man-to-man by a safety - Adrian Wilson is on him most of the time. Adrian is very fast, that's why so many of you want him to play corner.

But I will say this, our secondary is so much better I was afraid to build it up too much. Forget that depth chart crap. The whole damned secondary with all the new guys is hugely upgraded.

Fitz still looks good most days. NOBODY looks good every day in camp. Aches, play calls, schemes, protection, all factor in.

Fitz is Chris Carter. Yes he is. And with Quan hurt, I'm damned glad we drafted him.

I agree. Also, the defense is whole lot better as a whole. Better coaching and prep. We'll see. With Starks and KVB back, it adds depth at the line and in the secondary. IMO

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:

I am not worried yet since he is still in the adjustment phase to the speed of the NFL and to DBs who, even if they are deemed average by NFL standards, they were pretty top notch in college. He is going to HAVE to rely more on his jumping ability though because even that can be schemed against to an extent. He, like a pass rusher out of college, is going to have to learn a new repertoire (sp?) of moves in order to take his game to this level.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

That's good to hear. I have been in the pro-Wilson camp since he arrived. I was not real comfortable with just trying to out score every opponent. Some improved defense is a good sign.

Fitzfan1

Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Nope, not surprised at all. Saw it against Miami U. for 2 years. Tried to tell y"all.
Miami defense only shut Fitz down by sacking the qb 10 times a game and keeping him under constant pressure. I also watched those games and saw Fitzgerald open many times only to watch 6 Miami defenders crawl off the pile that was on top of Rod Rutherford.

Fitz has never had blazing speed but does have a knack for getting open and runs very disciplined routes. The great thing about him is that he does not need to be open by much. If the qb has confidence in him and puts the ball in at least a position where a normal receiver has a 50/50 chance to catch it then Fitz will come down with it 75-80% of the time.

And for whoever mentioned the fade route, Fitz is nearly unstoppable on this play especially if the qb has a little touch.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I oretty much agree with what skkorp said.

Fitz looks the part for sure. he just isnt getting much separation from Wilson. I think he will be fine. Hes so damn big!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:

No more concerned than I am of Steven Jacksons's recent fumbling problems...

Damn, I have never seen someone so eager to call someone on his 'supposedly' favorite team, a bust. Get over it, the draft is over, the Cards didnt draft Stephanie Jackson. Go to the Rams board and spew your incessent man-love dribble! :rolleyes:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
No more concerned than I am of Steven Jacksons's recent fumbling problems...

Damn, I have never seen someone so eager to call someone on his 'supposedly' favorite team, a bust. Get over it, the draft is over, the Cards didnt draft Stephanie Jackson. Go to the Rams board and spew your incessent man-love dribble! :rolleyes:
whatzup with that ramsfan anyways?

:)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Isn't the real problem that we keep comparing him to Boldin?

Fitz is probably the most polished receiver to ever come out of college, BUT it's still unrealistic to expect a Boldin kind of impact. Give him time. He needs to adjust to the NFL as all other rookie receivers.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitzfan1 said:
Miami defense only shut Fitz down by sacking the qb 10 times a game and keeping him under constant pressure. I also watched those games and saw Fitzgerald open many times only to watch 6 Miami defenders crawl off the pile that was on top of Rod Rutherford.

Fitz has never had blazing speed but does have a knack for getting open and runs very disciplined routes. The great thing about him is that he does not need to be open by much. If the qb has confidence in him and puts the ball in at least a position where a normal receiver has a 50/50 chance to catch it then Fitz will come down with it 75-80% of the time.

And for whoever mentioned the fade route, Fitz is nearly unstoppable on this play especially if the qb has a little touch.

Hee Hee. VF is back. Or is it VF Lite?