Kyler Murray Appreciation Thread

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had an absolute meh game with a ton of garbage time stats to prop it up. The bed crapping was a team effort but Kyler was part of that. It's not like he three fro 350 yards and multiple TDs in a loss. He had 170 ish yards and 1 TD through 3 Qs. Maybe 100 yards or so in the 1st half. He was meh on the road vs an ok team with a bad defense.

Not saying we lost because of Kyler but he was also part of the reason it wasn't a competitive game. This team isn't good enough to withstand meh game's from it's QB.

It's completely not normal to have a 215 yard game when you are down the entire game and have no run game to speak of.

The book is written on stopping this team and our 2 wins have come against teams too arrogant to adjust how they play because they thought they could stomp us with their usual scheme.

All our losses have been against the same defense. Nobody is scared of Kyler beating them with his arm. You pack the box, you mush rush and you play man coverage. The Bills, Lions, Commanders and Packers all did the exact same thing. The Niners and Rams both played zone and allowed their edges to over pursue.

You kill the run and make Kyler throw against man.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like that he didn't get sacked today. He's learning. I remember, on at least one occasion, that he actually threw the ball away when being chased, instead of running out of bounds and losing yardage.:rockon:

He didn't get sacked because teams are not committing to the edge rush, they would rather contain him and stop him running than stop him throwing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I saw this mid game, it was just before the half. He had about 5 rushing yards and 140 passing yards at the time and an 12 of 21 passes completed. That is not "playing well". The yards were average at best, and a bunch of those came off screens or YAC.

In a game we scored 13 and was behind the whole game he completed 3 passes over 10 yards and only attempted 5.

The majority of his completions were less than 5 yards.

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Allen is averaging fewer ypg than Kyler and has a lower completion percentage than Kyler by over 8 percentage points this year. Allen is still an amazing QB, but he has also suffered from a lack of receiving options. Every QB does. Even Mahomes is having the worst year of his career without reliable receivers, and he still has arguably the best pass catching TE of all-time out there with him.

By no means am I saying Kyler is a better QB than either of those guys, but downplaying the need for solid receiving options for good QBs is just irrational.

He has MHJ, McBride and Wilson.

That's the best receiving options he's had in his career.

You could drop Davante Adams and Justin Jefferson into this offense and they would look like ass.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
He has MHJ, McBride and Wilson.

That's the best receiving options he's had in his career.

You could drop Davante Adams and Justin Jefferson into this offense and they would look like ass.

Wow, no.

In 2020 and 2021 we had DHop, legitimate, proven top five WR in the league DHop, and a dangerous Christian Kirk at WR. In 2021 we had dual threat Maxx Williams at TE until Williams got hurt and then had Ertz.

You would have to be crazy to take the current receiving corps over either the 2020 or 2021 group.

I'm confident MHJ will be great. But shockingly he's a liability while on the field now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is what is so frustrating about this team. Mahomes is playing mediocre for overall standards, not even just Mahomes standards. Doesn’t even matter because their defense is awesome. I badly want that.

This is not even taking away from Mahomes because he’s still the best QB in the league & a top 2 QB of all time to me, but man it’s so infuriating.
Here is where I will defend Kyler.

This defense is so bad that it highlights/emphasizes his mistakes. Look at two "mistakes" from the Green Bay game.

1 - The missed placement on the ball to Wilson on 3rd down. Yes, Wilson still had an opportunity to catch the ball, but if Kyler leads him more the defender has no play. Is it the biggest error? No. Lots of QBs make mistakes like that it games. The difference is that the defense just gave up a TD drive, and this was the Cardinals chance to answer. Instead they punt, and the defense gives up another TD drive which puts the team down 14, on the road.

2 - The missed TD to Weaver. Flat out miss and Kyler has to be better. That said, the Cardinals were down 14, and hitting that would have cut it to 7. Instead they kick a FG only cutting it to 11, and then the defense gives up another TD which puts the game out of reach.

The big issue is that every mistake Kyler makes is magnified because he doesn't have a defense to consistently keep the game in reach. Luckily the defense found some stops vs SF and Kyler was able to bring the Cardinals back. That is where Monti did Kyler the biggest disservice this offseason. He didn't give him a defense to give him a larger margin for error. This is something most teams with QBs who are 12-14th in the league have.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is where I will defend Kyler.

This defense is so bad that it highlights/emphasizes his mistakes. Look at two "mistakes" from the Green Bay game.

1 - The missed placement on the ball to Wilson on 3rd down. Yes, Wilson still had an opportunity to catch the ball, but if Kyler leads him more the defender has no play. Is it the biggest error? No. Lots of QBs make mistakes like that it games. The difference is that the defense just gave up a TD drive, and this was the Cardinals chance to answer. Instead they punt, and the defense gives up another TD drive which puts the team down 14, on the road.

2 - The missed TD to Weaver. Flat out miss and Kyler has to be better. That said, the Cardinals were down 14, and hitting that would have cut it to 7. Instead they kick a FG only cutting it to 11, and then the defense gives up another TD which puts the game out of reach.

The big issue is that every mistake Kyler makes is magnified because he doesn't have a defense to consistently keep the game in reach. Luckily the defense found some stops vs SF and Kyler was able to bring the Cardinals back. That is where Monti did Kyler the biggest disservice this offseason. He didn't give him a defense to give him a larger margin for error. This is something most teams with QBs who are 12-14th in the league have.
And this is less so about Kyler & more so about this being an organizational failure for the past 10-15 years. Ever since Warner, I believe the only time we have fielded a stout defense was the 2013 season.

The 2015 & 2021 defenses were beneficiaries of high-powered offenses. Majority of the time they played a good offense, we had to win in a shootout.

It is so aggravating to not have a blue-chipper front-4 player. We’ve only had 3 in the past 10 years & 1 got fooled around cause the coaches didn’t know how to use him until it was too late, we let another go in his prime, & the other we didn’t even draft.

Caleb Williams has arguably the best situation out of every QB right now, not even just rookie QBs! He has the weapons, but he also has a championship-level defense to go along with it. I’m jealous as hell of that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1 got fooled around cause the coaches didn’t know how to use him until it was too late
I really wonder about this with Reddick. Arians compared him to Von Miller when he was drafted. I wonder if Keim went over his head and insisted he play in the middle because of his obsession with Daryl Washington.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, no.

In 2020 and 2021 we had DHop, legitimate, proven top five WR in the league DHop, and a dangerous Christian Kirk at WR. In 2021 we had dual threat Maxx Williams at TE until Williams got hurt and then had Ertz.

You would have to be crazy to take the current receiving corps over either the 2020 or 2021 group.

I'm confident MHJ will be great. But shockingly he's a liability while on the field now.

Dude Max Williams was out of the league after that season. He had like 4 games then missed the rest of the year. Kirk was no better than Michael Wilson is now.

Peak Nuk obviously better than current MHJ but as a whole the options he has now are better.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Dude Max Williams was out of the league after that season. He had like 4 games then missed the rest of the year. Kirk was no better than Michael Wilson is now.

Peak Nuk obviously better than current MHJ but as a whole the options he has now are better.
Kirk was legitimately better than Wilson currently. Kirk was even a legitimate deep threat with Kyler throwing him the ball. Wilson has at most looked like a solid possession receiver this year.

Also glossing over Nuk like that is crazy. Having Nuk alone makes a gigantic difference as he was at times completely un-guardable. You add a prime Nuk to this offense in place of MHJ and we are quite a bit better IMO.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also glossing over Nuk like that is crazy. Having Nuk alone makes a gigantic difference as he was at times completely un-guardable. You add a prime Nuk to this offense in place of MHJ and we are quite a bit better IMO.
Except for the time he was out for multiple games due to a suspension and/or was injured. When he was available and on the field, he was good but could have been used better, IMHO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22