Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whose word of the weekend is split? I dont believe you can control most of the asfn posters like you do the ones you do.. The word of the weekend for me is sweep at the garden!

Obviously it woud be MY word. Since I posted it.

The green is going to your head, Cee.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Very bad...very bad opinion piece...of crap. That is nothing more than a bashing of past Laker teams and players with absolutely no thought put into it. He over simplifies everything based on nothing. Shaq's over-weight problem? 19 shots good but one extra shot bad? That's his science for discrediting the 20 shots or more stat?

That was a love letter to Kobe...is what it was.
:thud:

You just hate and that is what it is.

The article was spot on in most of its points.

I have said it for years while listening to my Kobe hater friends whine about him being a ball hog. If the other players would move, rotate, and cut, as you are supposed to in the triangle, Kobe WILL pass you the ball. This year they are and he is. They do revert back every once in awhile and you can see INSTANTLY how the offense stops. Just as instantly, the Kobe haters come out of the woodwork and scream ball hog.

Joe, you say you were a Laker fan at one time but you cannot stand Kobe. I refute that. If you are a true laker fan, then you are so regardless of the players any given year. I suggest, with the knowledge of your join date suspiciously close to Shaq's (for the Suns), that you are simply a Shaq hugger and nothing more.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is with the fonts man?

Thanks for fixing that...my eyes were bleeding.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']You just hate and that is what it is.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The article was spot on in most of its points. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have said it for years while listening to my Kobe hater friends whine about him being a ball hog. If the other players would move, rotate, and cut, as you are supposed to in the triangle, Kobe WILL pass you the ball. This year they are and he is. They do revert back every once in awhile and you can see INSTANTLY how the offense stops. Just as instantly, the Kobe haters come out of the woodwork and scream ball hog.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Joe, you say you were a Laker fan at one time but you cannot stand Kobe. I refute that. If you are a true laker fan, then you are so regardless of the players any given year. I suggest, with the knowledge of your join date suspiciously close to Shaq's (for the Suns), that you are simply a Shaq hugger and nothing more.[/FONT]

Whoa..

and at the same time.. lmao..

That is hilarious..

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, you say you were a Laker fan at one time but you cannot stand Kobe. I refute that. If you are a true laker fan, then you are so regardless of the players any given year. I suggest, with the knowledge of your join date suspiciously close to Shaq's (for the Suns), that you are simply a Shaq hugger and nothing more.

See, Brian In Mesa

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
LOL. Whatever man. What-ever.

It was dead on about the Shaq/Kobe fued. Read a few books by Lazenby, or his blog, and you might learn something. But if what you took away from the article was it was about Shaq's "weight problem" then I doubt you'll glean any knowledge from the other books. :shrug:

No, I got the article completely but for the guy to bring in things that have absolutely nothing to do with discrediting Christopher Reina's study on Kobe Bryant's shooting habits is cutting into his own creditability as a writer. IMHO.

I don't know who Lazenby is but I do know who PHIL JACKSON is. He wrote a little book not too long ago...know him? Here are a few excerpts from that book...courtesy of Bill simmon's article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080605

1. "Last spring, during a particularly acrimonious team meeting, Rick Fox complained to Kobe and Shaq. 'The thing that hurts about this season,' Fox said, 'is that you have both acted like you're apart from us, and that we're not any good.' ... Shaq, clearly affected, began to respond when Kobe cut him off. 'Quit your crying,' Kobe said. I then jumped in. 'Kobe, you're as much to blame as Shaq is, if not more.' "

2. 2. "After the gun sounded, Kobe went over to Devean, berating him for not calling timeout when the play broke down. Kobe was right, but he was wrong to reprimand his teammate on the court, in front of the crowd and cameras."

4. "Despite our recurring conflicts over our four years together, I was genuinely concerned for [Kobe], concerned about how this young man could, in the soul-consuming NBA world, become a mature adult. "

6. "[Trainer Gary] Vitti told us that Kobe has been threatening again to opt out of his contract, vowing 'to take Slava with me.' Slava. Was this an indication of Kobe's being totally out of touch with reality?"

8. "'You can't make that pass,' I told Kobe when he came off the court on the next timeout. 'Well, you better teach those motherf------ how to run the offense,' he said. I sat him down on the spot. 'Watch your mouth,' I said."

10. "Why don't the two get along? I have my theories, one of which is that Shaquille is making the type of money -- about $25 million a year -- that Kobe will never earn due to the changes in the league's collective bargaining agreement. No matter how many MVP trophies he might collect in the decade ahead, there is nothing he can do about this discrepancy. In fact, the word I got was that Kobe was the only player in the entire league who voted against the agreement because of the cap it puts on salaries."

12. "We convened in the locker room, everyone on time except for Kobe, who, when he did arrive, began to fiddle with the mobile phone in his locker. ... When I asked Kobe to stop his habit of screaming at his teammates on the court because it creates insecurity, he came right back at me. 'That's bulls---,' he said. 'You're the one that's causing them to be anxious.'"

13. "If a player tries to score every time he touches the ball, the system will break down. Success depends on everyone, at one time or another, accepting, if not embracing, the role of playmaker."

16. "We have agreed ... to cover a percentage of [Kobe's] private plane expenses to and from Colorado for court hearings. This will cost thousands of dollars. Kobe was unhappy with the type of plane that was selected; he wanted one with higher status. He should feel fortunate he's not footing the whole bill himself."

17. "This is another example of the basic difference between [Shaq] and Kobe. Ask Shaq to do something and he'll say: 'No, I don't want to do that.' But after a little pouting, he will do it. Ask Kobe and he'll say, 'OK,' and then he will do whatever he wants."

24. "Now I was the one who was angry. I went upstairs to see Mitch in his office. Wasting no time, I went off on a tirade about the need to deal Kobe before the trading deadline in mid-February. 'I won't coach this team next year if he's still here,' I said emphatically. 'He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid.'"

26. "[Kobe] was angry about the allowances the Lakers afford Shaq, failing to note the hypocrisy in his accusation. Nobody this year, or any year I've coached, has received more 'allowances' than Kobe Bryant."
29. "'Will Shaq's presence on this team color your decision to come back or not?'" I asked him.
'Yes, it does,' he said.
'I meant what I said the other night after the [final] game, that the two of you could co-exist and play well together,' I went on.

'There's no doubt about that,' he said. 'I've done that for eight years with him, but I'm tired of being a sidekick.'"

30. "Today at practice, Kobe went from player to player, shoving the article with the anonymous quote in their faces. I have rarely seen him that incensed. 'Did you say this?' he demanded of each player. ... Nobody said a word, until Karl [Malone] finally broke the silence. 'Obviously, Kobe, no one said it or wants to admit they said it,' Karl said. 'You've just got to let it go now.' Karl and Kobe, who have become buddies, launched into a shouting match that I had to stop."

Phil's actual words. Nuff said!

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
You just hate and that is what it is.

The article was spot on in most of its points.

I have said it for years while listening to my Kobe hater friends whine about him being a ball hog. If the other players would move, rotate, and cut, as you are supposed to in the triangle, Kobe WILL pass you the ball. This year they are and he is. They do revert back every once in awhile and you can see INSTANTLY how the offense stops. Just as instantly, the Kobe haters come out of the woodwork and scream ball hog.

I never said I was a "true" Laker fan...ever. I said I liked the Lakers during their "show time" era. Even then i wasn't a fan...I just admired the success. I was a pre-teen when I went to my first game (78-79) and it was the only team in LA. It was more a case of an experience than a love for a team.

Conspiracy theorists need not apply.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
I never said I was a "true" Laker fan...ever. I said I liked the Lakers during their "show time" era. Even then i wasn't a fan...I just admired the success. I was a pre-teen when I went to my first game (78-79) and it was the only team in LA. It was more a case of an experience than a love for a team.

Conspiracy theorists need not apply.

I thought, and I could be wrong, I read posts where you said you were a laker fan and went to the championship parades etc.

No biggie. My bad.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I thought, and I could be wrong, I read posts where you said you were a laker fan and went to the championship parades etc.

No biggie. My bad.
I did, 2 out of the 3 but going to see what was arguably the best thing in LA during that time was more of an experience and being part of than going signing over my fandom to a team. Plus, when the neighborhood friends get together and go, not all tend to be "die hard" fans or fans for that matter.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
more words out of PJ's mouth.

"[Shaq] is the one guy that didn't really like to work," said the coach who boasts nine NBA championship rings. "I know Pat [Riley] got him working here in Miami. We had a hard time getting him to work. All the other players -- Michael [Jordan], Scottie [Pippen], Dennis Rodman, all those guys that we had, Horace Grant, they're all hard-working practice and personal work players."

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FFS, if your talking ancient history go ahead and start posting snippets from The Jordan Rules.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I got the article completely but for the guy to bring in things that have absolutely nothing to do with discrediting Christopher Reina's study on Kobe Bryant's shooting habits is cutting into his own creditability as a writer. IMHO.

I don't know who Lazenby is but I do know who PHIL JACKSON is. He wrote a little book not too long ago...know him? Here are a few excerpts from that book...courtesy of Bill simmon's article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080605

Phil's actual words. Nuff said!

No, not enough said. Read Lazenby's books. The Show. The Lakers. Mad Game, Blood on the Horns, Mindgames...an Emmitt Smith book, oddly. He's as close to an official biographer of the Lakers as there is...unprecedented access. Start here. http://www.yaysports.com/nba/2005/09/shaq_slapped_kobe_but_good.html. Very good friend of Tex Winter...

Phil's little book and Boston Bill dragging it out are pretty irrelevant at this point, don't you think? The fact that Phil was forced to acquiesce to Shaq to win titles kind of colors the hell out of the Kobe/Phil/Shaq relationship. I like the view of third parties. Phil's book was part political. The fact that he came back to coach "the uncoachable" and has done it so successfully just gives more weight to outside accounts of events. But that is old news...why Boston Bill tucked himself and wrote that story is dumb-de-dumb-dumb-duuuumb.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Obviously you didn't get it completely, because you got hung up on a side point.

The crux of the article is that Reina's "study" is weak and lacks any substance. Entirely correct.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not enough said. Read Lazenby's books. The Show. The Lakers. Mad Game, Bull's horns or something, Mindgames...an Emmitt Smith book, oddly. He's as close to an official biographer of the Lakers as there is...unprecedented access. Start here. http://www.yaysports.com/nba/2005/09/shaq_slapped_kobe_but_good.html

Phil's little book and Boston Bill dragging it out are pretty irrelevant at this point, don't you think? The fact that Phil was forced to acquiesce to Shaq to win titles kind of colors the hell out of the Kobe/Phil/Shaq relationship. I like the view of third parties. Phil's book was part political. The fact that he came back to coach "the uncoachable" and has done it so successfully just gives more weight to outside accounts of events. But that is old news...why Boston Bill tucked himself and wrote that story is dumb-de-dumb-dumb-duuuumb.

Nice, Henry Abbott of True Hoop is reading The Show (second half of post.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-281/The-Good-Old-Days-Weren-t-So-Different-than-Today.html

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats funny but not in the way that you think. Do you know when you are winning a discussion? When the other guy brings up something irrelevant to the discussion as a way to get a rise from him.

:thumbup:

NOW I understand why you post the way that you do in P&R. :D

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, i can't stress enough about my contempt for the 2-3-2 format.
If the LAKERS steal one of these road games BOSTON is in serious trouble.
It's a joke. When did this ridiculous format begin and what idiot approved it?
Stern?

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, i can't stress enough about my contempt for the 2-3-2 format.
If the LAKERS steal one of these road games BOSTON is in serious trouble.
It's a joke. When did this ridiculous format begin and what idiot approved it?
Stern?

I agree it is a stupid format, but you gotta consider if Boston win their 2 first home games, it will be hella hard for LA to beat them 3 straight times too even at home. I think if Boston win the first 2 at home, they wil win the championship

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The format of the schedule is not usually relevant. The best team usually wins.

In my opinion, that's the Lakers if fouling rules are enforced. If thugball is allowed, Boston is better at that and they will win.

Either way is fine with me. When the Suns lost, I lost interest.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
good god - can gasol get away with pushing off any more?! - he 2 hand shoves guys in the back on damn near every rebound - i'm honed in and it's driving me insane

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05