Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe thinking to himself : I cant believe how much Pau sucks.

You must be registered for see images

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet Kobe thinks I suck. But Powe's jock sure smelled good. Screw Kobe.

You must be registered for see images

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
As much as I hate the Lakers, I hate all Boston sports teams too.

This isn't a win win for me either way...but if I had to choose, Boston needs to kick some more yellow and purple ass...

cly2tw

Reaction score
Rondo: Wasn't drafted by Phoenix because D'antoni didn't like him as a player. Mainly because he wasn't a good shooter. :bang:

Brown: Most likely didn't sign here because he knew D'antoni wouldn't play him anyways. (Speculation on my part, of course.)

Well, DA was tunnel-visioned. He has his comfort zone and doesn't want getting out of him. Rondo didn't shoot well but shows that he is capable of improving. DA was only willing to accept full-grown players like TT, Giricek, Raja, except for his pet project Leandro.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Well so much for "Lakers in 5." I missed the game because of work, but looking at the statline it would look like Pierce again outplayed Kobe (but it was close?).

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Once again Pau Gasol proves to us all that what you do between November and April doesn't always translate into May/June.
A freakin NO SHOW to this point. It looks to me like that "soft" label thats been sometimes attatched to him has proven out in these last 2 games. He looks a little shell shocked battling in the paint with BOSTONS bigs....and very timid when trying to get his shot off in there.
BOSTON looks as though they've gained alot of focus and confidence coming out of the DETROIT series.

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
I fully expect the Lakers to get the huge disparity in fouls that Boston got esp game 2. Not gonna harp about officiating costing the game like some Suns fans do, but it played a huge part in the final outcome.

But when you let a bencher (Powe) get 21 pts in 16 minutes (thats Ceballo-esque type numbers) and he earns more ft attempts than your entire team, you will lose that contest 11 chances out of 10..............Still made a remarkable comeback that fell short.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I fully expect the Lakers to get the huge disparity in fouls that Boston got esp game 2. Not gonna harp about officiating costing the game like some Suns fans do, but it played a huge part in the final outcome.

But when you let a bencher (Powe) get 21 pts in 16 minutes (thats Ceballo-esque type numbers) and he earns more ft attempts than your entire team, you will lose that contest 11 chances out of 10..............Still made a remarkable comeback that fell short.

Lakers only have their own bad defense to blame for that though. They couldn't contain Rondo. And the #22 pick of 06 Dantoni didn't want was the deciding factor in this game.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score

But when you let a bencher (Powe) get 21 pts in 16 minutes (thats Ceballo-esque type numbers) and he earns more ft attempts than your entire team, you will lose that contest 11 chances out of 10
..............Still made a remarkable comeback that fell short.
Sounds a bit like Phil Jackson's talking points. Powe was aggressive from the start and EVERY foul the refs called was a legitimate foul...get over it. Kobe wasn't driving in the paint and neither was any of the Lakers. So to imply that the game was officiated in favor of the Celtics is absurd. If you become an outside shooting team you rarely get a call. Celtics lived in the paint in game 2 so of course they were going to get the calls.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not every foul was legit. That's just dumb to even say. And also, the shot charts for both teams are remarkably similar, until late in the game when the Lakers shoot a lot of threes trying to come back, so this "perimeter shooting team" myth can go pound sand. The game wasn't called the same on both sides, and that's cool. You work with it. There is a HUGE amount of holding going on with the celtics on defense that is being ignored. It's on the potential cutters so they can't make a move to the rim.

2nd, I don't get the Pau comments. He had a pretty good game, putting 17 and 10 together, and was really aggressive in the first half especially. The bench was horrid though, and perimeter defense is just getting worse and worse.

Rebounding and defense are the issue for the Lakers, but when two teams shoot around the same percentage and one gets an additional 17 points at the free throw line off 28 more chances, losing by just a few points is an encouraging sign...especially when they played that bad of D and rebounding was poor and lack of hustle.

I won't say that the fouls called on the Lakers weren't legit fouls (most were, if many were minor) but if that is what constitutes a foul in the game, the refs missed a huge amount on the other end. Several plays had the same feel on one end that were fouls, and the other that were not. I agree with Phil that it was due to the Lakers horrid spacing, and refs aren't going to make calls on guys they can't see. If the reffing doesn't change to balance out, the Lakers will have to adjust to it. It's no excuse..you have to win despite good or bad officiating, a fact of the game.

I don't expect the Lakers bench to look as bad at home. We'll be taking this back to boston, hopefully up 3-2. Winning in Boston is going to be terribly difficult though; the place is in the Lakers', and especially the Lakers' bench players, heads.

Last edited:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
No, not every foul was legit. That's just dumb to even say. And also, the shot charts for both teams are remarkably similar, until late in the game when the Lakers shoot a lot of threes trying to come back, so this "perimeter shooting team" myth can go pound sand. The game wasn't called the same on both sides, and that's cool. You work with it. There is a HUGE amount of holding going on with the celtics on defense that is being ignored. It's on the potential cutters so they can't make a move to the rim.

2nd, I don't get the Pau comments. He had a pretty good game, putting 17 and 10 together, and was really aggressive in the first half especially. The bench was horrid though, and perimeter defense is just getting worse and worse.

Rebounding and defense are the issue for the Lakers, but when two teams shoot around the same percentage and one gets an additional 17 points at the free throw line off 28 more chances, losing by just a few points is an encouraging sign...especially when they played that bad of D and rebounding was poor and lack of hustle.

I won't say that the fouls called on the Lakers weren't legit fouls (most were, if many were minor) but if that is what constitutes a foul in the game, the refs missed a huge amount on the other end. Several plays had the same feel on one end that were fouls, and the other that were not. I agree with Phil that it was due to the Lakers horrid spacing, and refs aren't going to make calls on guys they can't see. If the reffing doesn't change to balance out, the Lakers will have to adjust to it. It's no excuse..you have to win despite good or bad officiating, a fact of the game.

I don't expect the Lakers bench to look as bad at home. We'll be taking this back to boston, hopefully up 3-2. Winning in Boston is going to be terribly difficult though; the place is in the Lakers', and especially the Lakers' bench players, heads.
I don't see it. Pierce dominates in staples. He has had some of his best games there. After taking 2 road games in Detroit and Allen's shot coming back in that series, I say it ends in Staples in 5 games...maybe a sweep. I am backing off my "game in 6" statement. The Lakers have yet to beat them this season and it might just end up that way.

* Lakers look defeated while the Celtics are playing like they will not be denied. Kobe's mannerisms tells the tale.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like Phil Jackson's talking points. Powe was aggressive from the start and EVERY foul the refs called was a legitimate foul...get over it. Kobe wasn't driving in the paint and neither was any of the Lakers. So to imply that the game was officiated in favor of the Celtics is absurd. If you become an outside shooting team you rarely get a call. Celtics lived in the paint in game 2 so of course they were going to get the calls.

Lakers had more points-in-the-paint than Boston in Game 2. The difference was the Lakers had to score their points from the field and not the FT line.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics:
45 perimeter shots
23 shots in the key
Points in paint: 34
38 free throws

Lakers:
42 perimeter shots
41 shots in the key
Points in paint: 40
10 free throws

5 more FG made. 6 pt loss.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't see it. Pierce dominates in staples. He has had some of his best games there. After taking 2 road games in Detroit and Allen's shot coming back in that series, I say it ends in Staples in 5 games...maybe a sweep. I am backing off my "game in 6" statement. The Lakers have yet to beat them this season and it might just end up that way.

* Lakers look defeated while the Celtics are playing like they will not be denied. Kobe's mannerisms tells the tale.

Yes, like leading a furious comeback after being down 24 with 7 minutes left, cutting it to a 2 point game. Really looking defeated...err...they walked off the court confident that they can beat them. Kobe's mannerisms? Uhm, no. You are all over the map.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Yep, PJ blowing smoke again, the foul disparity was due to the lakers trying to hide radmonovic, gasol, and vujanic in their defense. These guys cant play defense worth squat, and it puts alot of pressure on the others to help out. Watching Ray Allen drive right down broadway past radmonovic to make a layup was pathetic. And yes, no suprise that rondo was too fast for the lakers guards. PJ should just shut up and coach, he sounds like a "DA type whiner". Powe is too athletic for the laker stiffs that PJ sends at him. I guess the strategy of sending help defenders off powe was a complete bust. I'll bet PJ thought making powe beat them was better than allowing the big 3 to get their games going. Ironically the laker bench, which looked like a strong point was MIA once again.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Celtics:
45 perimeter shots
23 shots in the key
Points in paint: 34
38 free throws

Lakers:
42 perimeter shots
41 shots in the key
Points in paint: 40
10 free throws

5 more FG made. 6 pt loss.
Dude, you are forgetting the most important thing:

Most of those 38 FT's were from fouls inside the paint that would have padded to the points scored inside the paint had the Lakers not fouled.
I never said they scored more in the paint, I said the dominated the paint.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of those 38 FT's were from fouls inside the paint that would have padded to the points scored inside the paint had the Lakers not fouled.

No, you said the Lakers were a jumpshooting team. They were not.

nowagimp

Reaction score

When you want to believe something, you twist the facts to fit your belief. Yeah, 38 FT's were mostly close in fouls. LOL

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe I heard the fouls called were like 28 to 21 thats not that far off. Boston played better the entire game. The Lakers started chucking up 3 after 3 when they realized that was the only chance in hell they had, so yeah Donald they turned into a jump shooting team or they would have been blown out. Kobe is a whiner he wants a call everytime he goes to the rim, and he did get quit a few and 1's. Its not the refs fault the Lakers just started chucking up shots instead of taking it hard to the basket. Kobe was pissed because he was one of the only Lakers that were playing hard and smart. Should be interesting to see how he acts if they perform like that at home, he is ready to rip into his teammates. Should be interesting to see how some of the young lakers bench is gonna respond. The Celtics got way to lazy once they had the 24 point lead and that lazyness help fuel the comeback, well that and the lakers shooting like 80% from the arc, yeah thats gonna happen every game right? I would love to see the Lakers get swept but think Stern and his ref cronies aren't gonna let that happen, game three the lakers shoot 35+ FTs book it!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Donald if you beleive that after getting pretty much smacked in the first 2 games your Lakers are gonna reel off 3 in a row, really? Do you know something that no one else knows? I mean if not for a ridiculous amount of late threes (finals record) that game 2 is an absolute blowout, even with the C's falling asleep the last 7.5 minutes of that game. Unless the Lakers get some heavily home cooked officiating the C's will win one of those 3 and be going home to Boston trying to seal the deal. Sorry just don't see the Lakers winning 3 in a row after getting HANDLED in the first 2, as much as I dislike the C's they are just bigger and tougher than the Lakers. Kobe and D. Fish are your tough guys thats not good for the Lakers. Boston in 6 !

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the Celtics...

No, you were talking about the Lakers. You said the C's were more aggressive and the Lakers became a jumpshooting team, so of course the C's shot 28 more free throws. So I put out the shot charts not to show that the C's WERE NOT in the lane, but to show that the Lakers WERE as well. Fact is, the Lakers didn't become a jumpshooting team. They were active in the paint. The fouls were not called evenly, unless you think that the Lakers were hardly fouled at all inside the paint, but only on the perimeter. Unreal. 19-2 free throw disparity in the first half. Lakers led at the end of 1. I get FT disparity, and had no issue in game one with the C's shooting 7 more FTs..however the Lakers were MORE aggressive in game 2, and shot 14 fewer foul shots. Really?

Shouldn't be an issue in the first place though...Lakers MUST defend better. Letting players dance in the lane and The Miracle shoot open threes with nobody within 15 feet is the real problem.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald if you beleive that after getting pretty much smacked in the first 2 games your Lakers are gonna reel off 3 in a row, really? Do you know something that no one else knows? I mean if not for a ridiculous amount of late threes (finals record) that game 2 is an absolute blowout, even with the C's falling asleep the last 7.5 minutes of that game. Unless the Lakers get some heavily home cooked officiating the C's will win one of those 3 and be going home to Boston trying to seal the deal. Sorry just don't see the Lakers winning 3 in a row after getting HANDLED in the first 2, as much as I dislike the C's they are just bigger and tougher than the Lakers. Kobe and D. Fish are your tough guys thats not good for the Lakers. Boston in 6 !

Handled? Both games the Lakers had chances to win despite playing horrible defense, getting seriously outrebounded and shooting poorly game 1 or huge FT disparity game 2. 2 point game with 38 seconds left in Game 2. 4 point game with 3 minutes left in game 1. You really can't ask for a whole lot more playing a good team on the road when you play terribly yourself.

The margin of error is thin, but I don't see the Lakers playing that poorly at home, especially the bench. The C's thought they had it in the bag vs. the Hawks and the Cavs after up 2-0 as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05