Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh you mean the Lakers are gonna learn how to play D by the next few games? Its a mismatch the C's have to many quality scorers and your Lakers can't defend them, not sure what you think is gonna change. And the C's have one of if not the best team D in the league, they CAN defend the Lakers. I think Lakers fans are letting the last 7 minutes that they shot lights out cloud their judgement, you got beat and were getting beaten to a pulp before the once in a lifetime 3 pointer barrage!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh you mean the Lakers are gonna learn how to play D by the next few games? Its a mismatch the C's have to many quality scorers and your Lakers can't defend them, not sure what you think is gonna change. And the C's have one of if not the best team D in the league, they CAN defend the Lakers. I think Lakers fans are letting the last 7 minutes that they shot lights out cloud their judgement, you got beat and were getting beaten to a pulp before the once in a lifetime 3 pointer barrage!

The Lakers can play d, they have all season. One of the better teams. Thing is, they AREN'T playing D. It isn't that they need to "learn to." THey just need to go out and do it. They've done it before. The Celtics D isn't better than the Spurs d, they are pretty much equal. Once in a lifetime 3 barrage? Uhm, no. Perhaps you haven't watched the Lakers much, but they quite often get down big and come storming back. It happens. More than I like.

You act like they are some JV team brought in to play the Celtics. "Learn how to play D." Lol. Whatever dude. They lost some games on the road to a damn fine home team. If you don't think they can make adjustments, you don't watch much basketball.

nowagimp

Reaction score
1 Detroit 90.07
2 Boston 90.29
3 San Antonio 90.57

Opponents PPG. Deal is, Boston is a better offensive team than SA.

Celts have allowed 88ppg postseason, spurs 94.9. Its also true that 90 points can be enough to beat a low scoring spurs team that just struggled at the end of the season with its age in the 2nd half of games. Scoring average is biased by pace and by the points needed to win. Teams will score enough to win, generally, so they will score less against a low scoring team.

Boston had a opposing FG%(41.9), SA(44.4%), 2.5% different, which was more than 2x the difference between the suns(45.6) and spurs. I wouldnt say the suns defense was equal to the spurs defense, nor are the spurs equl to the celtics. The celtics also outrebounded opponents by 3.1 a game, the spurs by only 1 a game. Defensively, the spurs were not the same class as the celtics, as the lakers have found out. On the other hand the lakers are better than their 101ppg allowed in the regualr season as their 44.5% FG against and +1.3 rebounds shows.

Last edited:

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
Lakers just need to push the tempo. Celtics are an older team and through these last two games they still had fresh legs. But now with the next several games slated for every other day, it will begin to wear on them at some point. I believe if the Lakers can indeed impose their will with tempo, hard cuts and tighten down on the perimeter shooters (let KG get his) and blow them out a couple games, it will affect their psyche. But rebounding is the key.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, even Boston Bill Simmons admits the officiating was ridiculous.

BOSTON -- For all intent and purpose, the Celtics played a perfect Game 2. They shot 53 percent from the field and made nine of 14 3-pointers. They had 31 assists on 36 field goals. They outrebounded the Lakers and shot a whopping 28 more free throws. They were given an ongoing boost by favorable officiating (that's an understatement) and a lively, joyous crowd that brought back memories of the old Garden and the Bird era.

~

Fortunately, there weren't that many Lakers fans in the crowd, nor were there many suits or pseudo-fans. This was a different crowd from Game 1 -- almost entirely Boston diehards, all of them wearing green or white -- which pushed the atmosphere to old-school Garden heights and unquestionably affected the officiating.

~

Of course, I would have said the same thing about anotherLakers-Celtics Finals. Leading by two games, needing only two more victories to clinch a 17th banner, the Celtics took the same things that worked for them in Game 1 (energy, rebounding, home court, some timely 3s) and pushed it to another level. For three quarters, the team peaked as the Lakers seemed frazzled by lopsided officiating and each other. During the first quarter, there was one sequence when Kobe threw a bullet pass through Gasol's hands for a turnover, then shot Gasol one of his patented Michael Corleone, "You disappointed me, don't be surprised if I have you killed later" glares, only Gasol fired right back and told Kobe that he should have thrown a bounce pass, followed by Kobe staring at Gasol intently and trying to make Gasol's head actually explode on the court.

Yeah, maybe it was a minor moment, and maybe these things happen during a basketball game. But it symbolized what happened with the Lakers in these first two games; they looked rattled, they couldn't get calls, they couldn't protect the rim, they couldn't keep Boston off the boards, they shot way too many jumpers and 3-pointers, and on defense they seemed one step behind except for the fourth quarter in both games. For Game 2, they had a valid excuse … an unspeakable 38-10 free-throw disparity that I won't even attempt to defend. At one point, my dad pointed to referee Bob Delaney, who was practically wearing a Celtics jersey and joked, "I like that guy. I want him for every game!"

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This quoted stat is playoffs not regular season, and its biased by pace..

No, it is based on regular season. Playoffs the Celtics are around 88 and spurs 95...though the Spurs faced three top scoring team in the 'offs.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Huh, even Boston Bill Simmons admits the officiating was ridiculous.

Yup, its the NBA and welcome to the club that realizes that officiating in the NBA sucks. All fans come around to it when their teams gets screwed. All those no calls who knows what would have happened. I find it just silly how fans ridicule untill their ox is gored, and laker fans are no different here. But dont worry the refs tried to help the lakers make up for it by calling some non calls at the end and allowing radmonivic to take a bus on the breakaway to bring them within 4. Thats entertainment in all its glory!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...but...but...he's a hater. Why do you want to believe him????;)

Broken clocks and all.

He's just the last dude I'd ever think would admit it. Hell you won't even admit it and you're not even a fan of the Celtics. :shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, its the NBA and welcome to the club that realizes that officiating in the NBA sucks. All fans come around to it when their teams gets screwed. All those no calls who knows what would have happened. I find it just silly how fans ridicule untill their ox is gored, and laker fans are no different here. But dont worry the refs tried to help the lakers make up for it by calling some non calls at the end and allowing radmonivic to take a bus on the breakaway to bring them within 4. Thats entertainment in all its glory!

I know the officiating sucks...players have to get past it. Doesn't stop it from being mind-blowingly bad though. And usually it isn't so lopsided. A call or three late in games, ok. Consistently bad on both ends? Sure. Level of contact not called the same way, all game long? That bugs. Again though, as I said, despite that, the Lakers had chances to win both games. I expect a better team tomorrow...if the calls get stupid in the Lakers favor like that I won't be happy. Oh, I'll laugh and say "that's what you get, *******" but I won't be happy.

Lakers better wake the ef up though...Kevin Ding's article today was on point.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Broken clocks and all.

He's just the last dude I'd ever think would admit it. Hell you won't even admit it and you're not even a fan of the Celtics. :shrug:

Nah simmons was ripping the celts before the finals for not closing teams out, nobody to go to in the crunch. He actually predicted a lakers win due to better talent and that the celts young guys make too many mistakes.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah simmons was ripping the celts before the finals for not closing teams out, nobody to go to in the crunch. He actually predicted a lakers win due to better talent and that the celts young guys make too many mistakes.

That was an anti-jinx article. I've read enough of the guy to know when he's too over the top. After the Detroit game 6, he was all over the C's, and he then wrote his anti-jinx article, since he feels he jinxed the patriots.

He admitted as much in his next two columns.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I know the officiating sucks...players have to get past it. Doesn't stop it from being mind-blowingly bad though. And usually it isn't so lopsided. A call or three late in games, ok. Consistently bad on both ends? Sure. Level of contact not called the same way, all game long? That bugs. Again though, as I said, despite that, the Lakers had chances to win both games.

the suns have seen the spurs getting alot of no calls on physical plays while they flop and get calls for years. Nothing new at all, ticky tack fouls early to sit the big guys down(except TD), then the spurs roll. For years the most important stat was big man foul trouble for the suns, and this year wasnt much better. When 6' 10" guys can bang your PG and cause the offense to be reset, its alot easier for the oppoenent to play defense. Then they complain on every call and then come the raft of no calls.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever Donald, excuses thats all I here when alot of Lakers fans including yourself was sure that the Lakers would take one on the road and then take them out in a short series. It should be fun to see how your young bench plays with the pressure of being down a few games and a big baby in Kobe ready to rip guys who don't play well. I would laugh until next season if your Lakers get swept that would be freaking hilarious. You guys are just like the Suns when we play the Spurs, your the soft whiny team and the C's are the tough defensive team, and we know how that usually turns out. And besides Kobe who on your team plays D?, maybe Turiaff as well but thats about it, Sucha tries but good players just pick him and roll right past him. Like I said without some homecooking (which no doubt you'll get) your team would be in serious trouble!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever Donald, excuses thats all I here when alot of Lakers fans including yourself was sure that the Lakers would take one on the road and then take them out in a short series. It should be fun to see how your young bench plays with the pressure of being down a few games and a big baby in Kobe ready to rip guys who don't play well. I would laugh until next season if your Lakers get swept that would be freaking hilarious. You guys are just like the Suns when we play the Spurs, your the soft whiny team and the C's are the tough defensive team, and we know how that usually turns out. And besides Kobe who on your team plays D?, maybe Turiaff as well but thats about it, Sucha tries but good players just pick him and roll right past him. Like I said without some homecooking (which no doubt you'll get) your team would be in serious trouble!!

Uhm, excuses? Where are the excuses? I mentioned officiating in ONE game as PART of the problem...the only reason it's even still talked about is some people deny it happened. The inability to get past the refs is solely on the Lakers. :shrug: Nobody was sure they'd get one on the road...only that the goal was a split and they had a damn good shot. They came close in game 1, and closer still in game 2. So far, nothing out of the ordinary has happened in this series. The home team won two games. Now it is the Lakers turn.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Nashman, a suns fan should realize that criticizing another teams defense is kind of hypocritical. For every laker that plays poor D, you can name at least a sun who plays it as badly or worse. Lamar Odom is a good defender, Turiaf, ariza, fisher(smart defender, but old), kobe. the euros(excl turiaf) are the bad defenders on the lakers, and amare, LB, and nash are just as bad.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow, Lakers fans sounding like Suns fans... who'd a thunk it?

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Celtics:
45 perimeter shots
23 shots in the key
Points in paint: 34
38 free throws

Lakers:
42 perimeter shots
41 shots in the key
Points in paint: 40
10 free throws

5 more FG made. 6 pt loss.

Yet another example that Joe blows a lot of hot laker hatredd air. No reason to even respond to him, anymore... Just opinions based on absolutely no facts spewed to rile up the laker faithful... wasted space and nothing more. Pathetic!

Last edited:

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, PJ blowing smoke again, the foul disparity was due to the lakers trying to hide radmonovic, gasol, and vujanic in their defense. These guys cant play defense worth squat, and it puts alot of pressure on the others to help out. Watching Ray Allen drive right down broadway past radmonovic to make a layup was pathetic. And yes, no suprise that rondo was too fast for the lakers guards. PJ should just shut up and coach, he sounds like a "DA type whiner". Powe is too athletic for the laker stiffs that PJ sends at him. I guess the strategy of sending help defenders off powe was a complete bust. I'll bet PJ thought making powe beat them was better than allowing the big 3 to get their games going. Ironically the laker bench, which looked like a strong point was MIA once again.

Ill give you that one. Radman is a friggen turnstile. Pathetic!

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Donald if you beleive that after getting pretty much smacked in the first 2 games your Lakers are gonna reel off 3 in a row, really? Do you know something that no one else knows? I mean if not for a ridiculous amount of late threes (finals record) that game 2 is an absolute blowout, even with the C's falling asleep the last 7.5 minutes of that game. Unless the Lakers get some heavily home cooked officiating the C's will win one of those 3 and be going home to Boston trying to seal the deal. Sorry just don't see the Lakers winning 3 in a row after getting HANDLED in the first 2, as much as I dislike the C's they are just bigger and tougher than the Lakers. Kobe and D. Fish are your tough guys thats not good for the Lakers. Boston in 6 !

Did you even watch the Atlanta or Cleveland series? Bostpn blew them away the two first home games. Lakers at least made it close. Lakers are undefeated at home... well see if it holds up.

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nashman, a suns fan should realize that criticizing another teams defense is kind of hypocritical. For every laker that plays poor D, you can name at least a sun who plays it as badly or worse. Lamar Odom is a good defender, Turiaf, ariza, fisher(smart defender, but old), kobe. the euros(excl turiaf) are the bad defenders on the lakers, and amare, LB, and nash are just as bad.
Do you really think Kobe is a bad defender??

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Broken clocks and all.

I didn't see it. The play where Kobe spun around to the basket and cried about a foul...wasn't. He wasn't touched. Powe was fouled on every shot under the basket. The traveling by Radman (4 steps) wasn't called. The only non call I saw was Gasol going to the basket and Garnett fouled on the wrist and it wasn't called...that's the only one I feel should have been called. Can you name a few calls that should have been made?

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Yet another example that Joe blows a lot of hot laker hatredd air. No reason to even respond to him, anymore... Just opinions based on absolutely no facts spewed to rile up the laker faithful... wasted space and nothing more. Pathetic!

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05