Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, its the NBA and welcome to the club that realizes that officiating in the NBA sucks. All fans come around to it when their teams gets screwed. All those no calls who knows what would have happened. I find it just silly how fans ridicule untill their ox is gored, and laker fans are no different here. But dont worry the refs tried to help the lakers make up for it by calling some non calls at the end and allowing radmonivic to take a bus on the breakaway to bring them within 4. Thats entertainment in all its glory!

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnno. Dont EVEN reach for that straw. Nobody..........Nnnnnnnnnnnnobody ******* and whines about officiating more than Kings (Queens) fans or Suns fans. Theres a bitch or moan at every turn from you guys about anything from foul discrepancy, to trades that did/did not happen, to suggesting the NBA do something about the opponent capitalizing on your teams most inefficient free throw chucker. Matter of fact Suns fans have just about eclipsed Kings fans when it comes to complaining.

Laker fans point to obvious discrepancies (in officiating) as playing "a role" in their defeat (taking away some aggressiveness due to the ref crews propensity to weigh the floor heavily one-sided). But we're hardly suggesting it was THE single reason we lost.

Way too often ive heard the word "cheated" when in dialogue with Suns fans. Y'all believe theres a conspiracy to keep you title-less. As if Stern is manipulating some strings...............

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Laker fans point to obvious discrepancies (in officiating) as playing "a role" in their defeat (taking away some aggressiveness due to the ref crews propensity to weigh the floor heavily one-sided). But we're hardly suggesting it was THE single reason we lost.

That sounds so very noble. But just to make sure, you might want to drop in at one or two of the Laker boards and check out the topic of several dozen new threads and about a bazillion posts since last night.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it. The play where Kobe spun around to the basket and cried about a foul...wasn't. He wasn't touched. Powe was fouled on every shot under the basket. The traveling by Radman (4 steps) wasn't called. The only non call I saw was Gasol going to the basket and Garnett fouled on the wrist and it wasn't called...that's the only one I feel should have been called. Can you name a few calls that should have been made?

There were a lot of them. Odom was fouled a few times in the lane. Kobe was as well. Pau was also fouled by KG on his dunk on him.

The travel on Radman was ridiculous, but not nearly enough to make up the difference.

I didn't re-watch the game...not going to go back to that. Flush it down, as Kobe says.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
There were a lot of them. Odom was fouled a few times in the lane. Kobe was as well. Pau was also fouled by KG on his dunk on him.

The travel on Radman was ridiculous, but not nearly enough to make up the difference.

I didn't re-watch the game...not going to go back to that. Flush it down, as Kobe says.

At some point in the second half proceedings while Breen was slobbering all over Leon Powe, they showed some Powe highlights. One in particular of Powe inexplicably blasting to the rim practically undefended. Until he gets up for the jam that is. As he slams it home, he gets fouled by TWO different Lakers plain as day. No call.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point in the second half proceedings while Breen was slobbering all over Leon Powe, they showed some Powe highlights. One in particular of Powe inexplicably blasting to the rim practically undefended. Until he gets up for the jam that is. As he slams it home, he gets fouled by TWO different Lakers plain as day. No call.

Has anyone argued that the Lakers DID NOT commit fouls at the rim? Not to my knowledge. The argument is that they were hit around the rim and got none of their own. So the refs missed some on Boston. They missed MOST of them on the Lakers.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If this was the NFL the Raiders would sign Powe to a 25 million dollar contract based on one post season game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was the NFL the Raiders would sign Powe to a 25 million dollar contract based on one post season game.

Powe is actually a damn fine player. He's had some huge games...killed Detroit in one. The biggest question is why Doc is so hesitant to play him. He treated Luke like a rag doll, or a dog with a chew toy. I haven't determined which.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Has anyone argued that the Lakers DID NOT commit fouls at the rim? Not to my knowledge. The argument is that they were hit around the rim and got none of their own. So the refs missed some on Boston. They missed MOST of them on the Lakers.

Just offering one up to offset your crying. :D

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Lakers fans sounding like Suns fans... who'd a thunk it?

Exactly what I was thinking.. Go into their smack thread and all season they been calling us whiners.. But somehow their gripe is completely justified and they are not whining.. lmao..

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnno. Dont EVEN reach for that straw. Nobody..........Nnnnnnnnnnnnobody ******* and whines about officiating more than Kings (Queens) fans or Suns fans. Theres a bitch or moan at every turn from you guys about anything from foul discrepancy, to trades that did/did not happen, to suggesting the NBA do something about the opponent capitalizing on your teams most inefficient free throw chucker. Matter of fact Suns fans have just about eclipsed Kings fans when it comes to complaining.

Way too often ive heard the word "cheated" when in dialogue with Suns fans. Y'all believe theres a conspiracy to keep you title-less. As if Stern is manipulating some strings...............

Now you are presuming you know the mindset of all suns fan, Like MS told you, go take a tour of your boards before pointing the finger.

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
Now you are presuming you know the mindset of all suns fan, Like MS told you, go take a tour of your boards before pointing the finger.

Ive visted other Laker forums and while there is bitching about officiating the predominant discussion doesnt focus on the refs as the single reason. Was it a huge reason, of course. Even the casual fan had noticed the disparity in calls. Defense is being called out...........lack of intensity is being called out. Questionable player rotations.......called out. Lamar "I'll step my game up after this blunt burns out" Odom is being called out. Rebounding ?

As for Suns fans, i work around approximately 20 or so (a quarter of em season ticket holders) and they ALL bitch and moan after just about every loss. Seems by talking with them, the Suns have never really or truly lost a game to any opponent that didnt have some influence by the refs. Suns fans will tell you, they get by the Spurs last year, its a given they'd defeat Utah and the Eastern Conf champion. They KNOW this (how is beyond the avg logical thinker).

LA this week will get its share of favorable calls (home cooking). I just wonder if there'll be a 3-1 FT ratio like we witnessed in game 2. I know one thing for certain............LA will play their best game in a long time (since game 2 vs SA).

cly2tw

Reaction score
The refs called quite consistently throughout the game. With Rondo having 16 assists, you know it's Lakers' bad defense that was the reason, both for the called fouls and for the loss. Besides, Radmanovic's decision making hurt the Lakers a lot. They couldn't get the ball to Kobe well enough, which is to the credit to Ray Allen's defense too.

In any case, Lakers will lose the series in 6 and as a Suns fan I'd like to thank them for eliminating the enemy #1, the Spurs. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it. The play where Kobe spun around to the basket and cried about a foul...wasn't. He wasn't touched. Powe was fouled on every shot under the basket. The traveling by Radman (4 steps) wasn't called. The only non call I saw was Gasol going to the basket and Garnett fouled on the wrist and it wasn't called...that's the only one I feel should have been called. Can you name a few calls that should have been made?

Here's one...watch The Miracle grab Kobe's arm as he drives the lane. That call WAS made against the lakers on the other end, a couple of times. Kobe's body jerks back. Then The Miracle throws his hands up at the refs...because..uhm...his knee told him too?

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Here's one...watch The Miracle grab Kobe's arm as he drives the lane. That call WAS made against the lakers on the other end, a couple of times. Kobe's body jerks back. Then The Miracle throws his hands up at the refs...because..uhm...his knee told him too?

I'll give you that one.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Miracle has outplayed Kobe for 2 games though...expect Kobe to get some home calls too, it is after all the NBA. You can bet they don't want Boston to win too quickly that might hurt the ratings, so they will let the Lakers win a couple to extend the series.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Miracle has outplayed Kobe for 2 games though...expect Kobe to get some home calls too, it is after all the NBA. You can bet they don't want Boston to win too quickly that might hurt the ratings, so they will let the Lakers win a couple to extend the series.

He outplayed him in game 1. Game two they played to a draw. Kobe's co-stars need to step up, especially the bench.

nowagimp

Reaction score
That sounds so very noble. But just to make sure, you might want to drop in at one or two of the Laker boards and check out the topic of several dozen new threads and about a bazillion posts since last night.

HAHAHA! Its true, the bitching and whining is very kings-like, but it is justified as it often is in the NBA. They are all in denial, mainly because they spent so much time and energy criticizing suns fans for bitching at the donaghy and other officiating fiascos. Suddenly suspensions dont happen for leaving the bench during an altercation, because it "wasnt an altercation". But there are always fans who will stick by -even the WWF- and say its real! The laker players are complaining, the coach is complaining, all under the penalty of fines, but some fans know that the officiating was not the difference in a very close game. Keep on playing the ostrich laker fans, keep that head deep in the sand. And even hope for an unfair reciprocation in lopsided calls. What a joke, what a hollywood type production the NBA has become.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He outplayed him in BOTH games because he hit big shots and WON those games and Kobe while playing well has lost both. You can call the 2nd a draw if you like but I would disagree as The Miracle hit some big shots and big FT's to seal the game!

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow! looks like Odom is the Marion of a Boston/LA series for Lakers, definetly cant handle a physical matchup with the celtic bigs, just like how our Shawn dissapears in a Suns/Spurs series.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05