Lets say we win the #1 pick

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Bosh was the best player on a team that went to the NCAA Finals the year after he declared. I think this argument is too focused on semantics.

The point is that Fultz was never on TV and didn't really play in that many competitive games. The tournament would have been a good showcase for him, but he remains unknown because of the horribleness of the team.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Drummond and Simmons are not stars. The others are good examples. I would add Shawn Marion to that list as well as Lillard.
I am confused, Drummond is a lottery pick, max player and allstar? He is not a star??

Lets turn around your question, could you name a freshman who went to a depleted B/C-tier program and lead them to the NCAA tournament?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am confused, Drummond is a lottery pick, max player and allstar? He is not a star??

Lets turn around your question, could you name a freshman who went to a depleted B/C-tier program and lead them to the NCAA tournament?

That's a good question. Marbury immediately comes to mind. But not many others.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No. Drummond is not a star. His present team would love to dump him. Good grief, Slin, do you think you have to argue every minute point. I even gave you a couple names you did not come up with. Again, the problem is not your point, but your overstating it and then dying on the overstatement.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know who I'd pick between Ball and Fultz but I cannot see how Ball's shot chart is a knock on him. So he does not crank up loads of the least efficient shot in basketball? GOOD!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I also like Ball better but his Dad is going to be a major distraction and more than likely Ball will bolt to LAL once his rookie deal is up as his dad has a hard on for him being a Laker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I also like Ball better but his Dad is going to be a major distraction and more than likely Ball will bolt to LAL once his rookie deal is up as his dad has a hard on for him being a Laker.
He won't be under his dads influence as much by then. And if his team is good and he likes them he isn't taking less dough just to satisfy his fathers *****.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Haha aren't YOU the one who keeps telling us that Drummond sucks?!?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nope. You said guys that never made it into the NCAA tournament. They count! LMAO.
I didn't say anything, did I?

But that's just semantics. We want to know, if the kid played college ball was he good enough to elevate his team? That's the real question.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. You said guys that never made it into the NCAA tournament. They count! LMAO.
Well, I posed the question first and I asked about players WHO PLAYED DIVISION 1NCAA BALL. So high schoolers don't count.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lonzo Ball? He took a sub 500 team and turned them into a 31-4 team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't be under his dads influence as much by then. And if his team is good and he likes them he isn't taking less dough just to satisfy his fathers *****.

We've been debating that on UCLA boards. Will he be around UCLA complaining Gelo isn't play enough, or will he be hounding Lonzo's NBA coach because the brand is his business now and Lonzo will be the one with an NBA salary?

He came out before the Cincy game and said if Alford goes to IU his sons will not follow they'll stay in LA. He didn't say stay with UCLA, lots of UCLA fans including myself suspect if Alford leaves, UCLA will pull the plug on Gelo and Melo just to avoid the dad. The problem is Gelo is just not that good and if the dad thinks he's a 1 and done it's going to be an issue. melo might be really good but that's too far down the road.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lonzo Ball? He took a sub 500 team and turned them into a 31-4 team.
lol they were the opposite of depleted.

They kept basically their whole lineup and added two top rated prospects plus another that is on future draft boards and in Alford already had a player that garnered some draft consideration in the past.

They had one down year where they were 15-17, the year before they were 22-14 and before that 28-9 and 25-10.

Throughout that process they kept Alford, Hamilton and Welsh.

Worst possible example to chose a team that was underperforming and below expectations for 1 year.

Calling UCLA a B/C-tier team is really stretching it.

Washington was barely better than UCLA last year and lost their top 3 guys.

Washington just by those 3 guys lost over 50ppg over 15rpg and over 10apg.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They kept basically their whole lineup and added two top rated prospects plus another that is on future draft boards and in Alford already had a player that garnered some draft consideration in the past.

They had one down year where they were 15-17, the year before they were 22-14 and before that 28-9 and 25-10.

Worst possible example to chose a team that was underperforming and below expectations for 1 year.

Hey slin,

Before the matchup between MSU and KU a reporter asked Jackson why he chose KU over MSU. He smirked and said "I wanted to win a National Championship".

Why do you think Fultz chose Romar and UW? Did he think he could "Carmelo-ize" the team since they were losing so much production and was woefully wrong on his abilities or do you think he really didn't care about winning in the NCAA?

Edit to add: I'm not trying to disparage Fultz and I'm less inclined to think NCAA success leads to NBA success than others here, I just have no idea why the kid chose where he did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hamilton and Welsh were not on the 28-9 team, that whole team essentially left except for Alford and Powell. I Ham was a redshirt that year, Welsh a senior in HS.

That opposite of depleted roster went 15-17 finished 10th in the Pac 12 and had the coach on the hotseat.

Obviously Leaf and Anigbogu are good but Ike is playing about 13 mpg, he's not the reason UCLA is better. Leaf is terrific but UCLA played without him and won, including a 32 point win over UW in the game Leaf got hurt and played 5 minutes. Make no mistake the reason UCLA won 16 more games this year is a combination of Lonzo Ball and the coaches being willing to turn the team over to Lonzo and let him play his style.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hey slin,

Before the matchup between MSU and KU a reporter asked Jackson why he chose KU over MSU. He smirked and said "I wanted to win a National Championship".

Why do you think Fultz chose Romar and UW? Did he think he could "Carmelo-ize" the team since they were losing so much production and was woefully wrong on his abilities or do you think he really didn't care about winning in the NCAA?

Edit to add: I'm not trying to disparage Fultz and I'm less inclined to think NCAA success leads to NBA success than others here, I just have no idea why the kid chose where he did.

Fultz choose Washington because they recruited him early and went hard for him. Also when he committed he didn't know that Chriss and Murray would leave early.

Washington was the first school to make him an offer.

He also said he wanted to go away from home in order to grow up.

PS: If Jackson choose Kansas because he wants to in a National Championship, why in the world did he choose Kansas?! :mad:

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be over the moon if we finally received the #1 pick then pray we don't somehow screw it up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be over the moon if we finally received the #1 pick then pray we don't somehow screw it up.

In this draft it could happen. That's why I entertain a trade down a notch or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05