Lost

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im guessing the others have another one of the capsules with a computer and they had a different training tape. Maybe to tempt the people in this capsule :shrug:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
What other forms of communication were there pre internet via computer?

I know I had internal email for years before the internet, and I know there was FTP and things like that but pre internet how did you communicate with the outside world via computer? Not saying you're wrong just that I never did it pre internet so I have no idea how it was done.

I thought the military created arpanet which was the precursor to the internet precisely to solve that problem?

I can remember back in 1981 having the capability via an internet precurser to communicate with others on the net - Universities across the country. Wasn't pretty, but it worked.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
What other forms of communication were there pre internet via computer?

I know I had internal email for years before the internet, and I know there was FTP and things like that but pre internet how did you communicate with the outside world via computer? Not saying you're wrong just that I never did it pre internet so I have no idea how it was done.

I thought the military created arpanet which was the precursor to the internet precisely to solve that problem?
I think email along with TCP/IP were actually invented in the early 70's. The basic principles of networking have been around though since the early 60's. Basic communication through a terminal like that really isn't that complicated. The main question I would have is who else besides "Walt" is also connected to the network.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
nm132 said:
The main question I would have is who else besides "Walt" is also connected to the network.

That is if it is even Walt.

Remember Michael put in his name first and then the computer new exactly who to answer as based on that info to be the most tempting to keep on communicate, a hook if you will. So depending on who answered the call I bet the name answering back would have been different. Just one theory.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
That is if it is even Walt.

Remember Michael put in his name first and then the computer new exactly who to answer as based on that info to be the most tempting to keep on communicate, a hook if you will. So depending on who answered the call I bet the name answering back would have been different. Just one theory.

So if he had typed in Kate, the answer would have come from the horse? :D

I assume it is Walt, I'm just wondering is he really just using the computer, or is this one of Walt's "powers" at work? I've been assuming the reason people keep seeing Walt is somehow connected to that.

Along the lines of what happened to Desmond, when are they going to get back to the storyline about turniphead and why Clare was warned not to let anybody else raise her baby?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watch, now that Michael used the computer to type in chat he wont be able to enter the numbers to stop the countdown. :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was Walt - afterall, when Walt appeared to Shannon and Sayid, he spoke backwards. Same for what he typed on the computer.

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
I think it was Walt - afterall, when Walt appeared to Shannon and Sayid, he spoke backwards. Same for what he typed on the computer.

I didn't even realize until just now that Dad is a palindrom!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:

He type Hello and Who is this not backwards. :shrug:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I assume it is Walt, I'm just wondering is he really just using the computer, or is this one of Walt's "powers" at work? I've been assuming the reason people keep seeing Walt is somehow connected to that.

Only 2 people saw Walt and one of them is dead after trying to follow him. Was it really Walt or just more Island head games, like when Jack saw his dad, the black lady seeing here husband, and a few other illusions or Ghosts that people have seen.

Plus the video said they will be "tempted" to communicate. What is more tempting then his lost son?

I bet the next episode "Walt" will tell Michael to not tell anyone else about their communication.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the guy on the film say something about "Station 3 will try to tempt you [to use the computer for communication]?" I'm not sure, but I thought it said something like that.

Walt is in "station 3."

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Didn't the guy on the film say something about "Station 3 will try to tempt you [to use the computer for communication]?" I'm not sure, but I thought it said something like that.

Walt is in "station 3."

That is what they said. But why would Walt "temp" his dad into communicating with him, which would start the process of the "incident" to happen again.

And the word Tempt has sort of negative meaning to it. "To try to get (someone) to do wrong, especially by a promise of reward." is that really something he son would do. Unless the "incident" isnt the "Big Bad" we all think it is.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
That is what they said. But why would Walt "temp" his dad into communicating with him, which would start the process of the "incident" to happen again.

And the word Tempt has sort of negative meaning to it. "To try to get (someone) to do wrong, especially by a promise of reward." is that really something he son would do. Unless the "incident" isnt the "Big Bad" we all think it is.
Unless it's a set up. For some reason the film imples that station 3 wants the incident to happen, doesn't it? So, they could be using Walt as either bait, or simply set him to his own devices in his hatch, knowing he'd tinker with the computer (just as his dad was doing).

Anyway, I think the big thing to take away from it is: Station 3 wants the incident. Why?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Unless it's a set up. For some reason the film imples that station 3 wants the incident to happen, doesn't it? So, they could be using Walt as either bait, or simply set him to his own devices in his hatch, knowing he'd tinker with the computer (just as his dad was doing).

Anyway, I think the big thing to take away from it is: Station 3 wants the incident. Why?

It has to be a setup. But I still dont think it was Walt. The person on the other end of the computer aske for Michaels name first, once they knew who was on the other line they knew who to reply as. Come on this is Lost can it really be as simple as Walt really being onthe other line, thats just to easy. It has to be something sinister about it. It just has to gosh darn it. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
It has to be a setup. But I still dont think it was Walt. The person on the other end of the computer aske for Michaels name first, once they knew who was on the other line they knew who to reply as.
Although, if it is Walt, what's he supposed to do, type "Dad?" instead of "Hello?"

It might not be Walt, but I think the fact that Michael typed his name first isn't enough evidence to point to that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
First, everybody knows that Michael is the most common male name in the world, right? :)

Second, just as an aside, when Kate and Sawyer see the horse at the end, you can see the horse wrangler's hand in the shot on the far right--at least, on the HDTV feed you can. Just a little mess up--like the ole microphone in the shot flub.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
First, everybody knows that Michael is the most common male name in the world, right? :)

Second, just as an aside, when Kate and Sawyer see the horse at the end, you can see the horse wrangler's hand in the shot on the far right--at least, on the HDTV feed you can. Just a little mess up--like the ole microphone in the shot flub.

I heard that and went back and still didn't see what people are talking about...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I heard that and went back and still didn't see what people are talking about...

Mike

It's the final shot of the horse, a long shot--the horse's head moves toward the right side of the screen in response to the wrangler's hand.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two 'Lost' Stars Arrested Within Minutes Of Each Other

December 2, 2005

HONOLULU --
Two cast members of the hit ABC series "Lost" were released on $500 bail each Thursday after being charged with driving under the influence of an intoxicant.

Police said Michelle Rodriguez -- who plays Ana Lucia -- and Cynthia Watros -- who portrays Libby -- were arrested in separate cars within 15 minutes of each other in Kailua.

Watros was arrested at 12:05 a.m. and Rodriguez at 12:20 a.m., according to police records.

Police said the two were spotted weaving on Pali Highway and later failed field sobriety tests.

Rodriguez, 27, and Watros, 37, are to appear at a driver's license revocation hearing at Kaneohe District Court on Dec. 29.

Rodriguez was booked under the name Mayte Michelle Rodriguez.

Motorists arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant automatically have their driver's licenses revoked. They are given a temporary license that allows them to drive, but under several restrictions.

:| :|

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05