Lost

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
V was great! (the mini series...I don't remember the regular series)

Remember "The Martian Chronicals" based on ...crap I forget the famous sci fi writer that did that one...I know it.....wait for it....nope. Anyway, I remember that one freaked me out as a kid--I don't even remember the specifics except for some sort of desert sail boat, I just know I was freeaaaked.

Ray Bradbury?

Do you remember when they made Planet of the Apes into a weekly series? That was another example of a truly great idea being ruined because they had to put out a weekly show so they just got downright rididulous. Lost is nowhere near that now, you read where JJ says he still has 2-3 seasons worth of material already worked out so I don't think he has to invent stuff anytime soon. I'm just finding it harder to follow, between the long delays on hiatus, and all the back stories it is just getting really hard to remember without reading a bunch of Lost devoted websites. It certainly passes my test for greatness in that it makes you think and debate long after the episode has ended.

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
As long as the show is selling commercials like crazy, they'll keep the show going. Which means they need to keep coming up with new angles.

Once the show's end is announced, you can bet they'll start wrapping it up. But, in the mean time, why kill you cash cow?

from what i've heard they have the show arched out for a 7 year run. the creators have the character arches worked out and the story worked out for the most part. i've heard a 7 year run and then it's done.

shawn

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
from what i've heard they have the show arched out for a 7 year run. the creators have the character arches worked out and the story worked out for the most part. i've heard a 7 year run and then it's done.

shawn
Sweet. That's the way to do it.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Alias didn't go that badly IMHO they had a combination of an ever increasingly convoluted plot, and a situation where a key actress, Garner, got into movies, got pregnant, and forced the show into a long hiatus that lost much of its fan base. But Alias was spinning out of control before that her absence just exacerbated the problem.

Lost is nowhere near that yet but I gotta wonder how long will people wait for answers that never seem to come before the ratings start to decline?

Not saying I won't be watching next season or that it's not still my favorite show, it is, I just am getting a bit tired of the excess. If you've ever read the long version of the Stand you might understand, there are so many characters and so much back story and side story etc that it gets incredibly hard to follow. Lost is kind of getting to be like that, you almost need a reference binder of information so that you can remember hey Clancy Brown was in the backstory of Sayid torturing in Iraq.

Oh well, off my pedestal, still easily the most creative show on in years but I really hope after 2 seasons of insisting he's not going to go Twin Peaks on us, I really hope JJ is telling the truth.

Well, I'll give you some of my thoughts on why this show is so much NOT like Alias...

1. Consistency - Have you noticed how freaking consistent and amazing everything fits together? I mean, from Locke looking down the hatch with the light coming on and it being Desmond looking up at him, to Desmond running in the same stadium as Jack, when Penny asks him what he's "running from" and then when he saw Jack in the finale last year, he asked him "Yoou look like you're running from the devil, brotha"...

It's amazing how it all fits. Alias was never that good. And it makes me realize that they have it all planned out for the most part, and there is an ending.

2. I think that people expect new answers every week, but if you enjoy the characters themselves (which I do)...it's okay to have background episodes that don't have a ton to do with the main plot. And to me, that means they have time to tell the big story.

So far to me...there are more questions, yes...but they've answered some, and we're starting to get a bigger picture of what is going on. Sure, we don't know WHY the others want them...but we know that this island was some kind of science project or experiment...and maybe it went wrong, and it ended...and that's the others running around, etc...or maybe it's still going, and that's why they brough these people here.

I don't know...but I really have faith, from what I've seen...that the writers KNOW what is going on, and will remain focused on keeping it from becoming Alias, or Twin Peaks...or even X-files for that matter.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
V was great! (the mini series...I don't remember the regular series)

Remember "The Martian Chronicals" based on ...crap I forget the famous sci fi writer that did that one...I know it.....wait for it....nope. Anyway, I remember that one freaked me out as a kid--I don't even remember the specifics except for some sort of desert sail boat, I just know I was freeaaaked.

Dude, that is so weird...I have the same creepy memory of something in that show...

All I remember is "Martian Chronicles"...and some lady looking out on her front porch at some glowing figure and asking him if it was her son...

And I was FREAKED...and that's all I remember.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Ray Bradbury?

Do you remember when they made Planet of the Apes into a weekly series? That was another example of a truly great idea being ruined because they had to put out a weekly show so they just got downright rididulous. Lost is nowhere near that now, you read where JJ says he still has 2-3 seasons worth of material already worked out so I don't think he has to invent stuff anytime soon. I'm just finding it harder to follow, between the long delays on hiatus, and all the back stories it is just getting really hard to remember without reading a bunch of Lost devoted websites. It certainly passes my test for greatness in that it makes you think and debate long after the episode has ended.

Supposedly they will put a stop to the pauses between new episodes...I heard something either like 24, or having three major chunks of the season with breaks inbetween each one...so we get more all at once...

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:

shawn

Wow I had heard 4-5 years and we're 2 years in. 7 years means 5 more years of not knowing, not sure I can handle that. :D

But if that's the case at least I don't have to worry about JJ totally going out of his mind to keep the show going.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Supposedly they will put a stop to the pauses between new episodes...I heard something either like 24, or having three major chunks of the season with breaks inbetween each one...so we get more all at once...

Mike

Yes, next year they are running 7 episodes starting in Sept. and then will take a break and start again in Jan. running to straight through like 24. Thank God!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Wow I had heard 4-5 years and we're 2 years in. 7 years means 5 more years of not knowing, not sure I can handle that. :D

But if that's the case at least I don't have to worry about JJ totally going out of his mind to keep the show going.

I heard 5 somewhere too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Mike

Yes and that should make a big difference, I usually don't watch the repeats, if I did, it would probably help me to remember things during the layoffs.

I think the main reason I'm getting frustrated is Alias went from being my favorite show to a show I was so disinterested in I neither watched nor taped the Series finale. I have no idea what happened, and I don't really care.

I just don't want to get to that point with Lost but it looks like JJ has learned his lesson from Alias.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yes and that should make a big difference, I usually don't watch the repeats, if I did, it would probably help me to remember things during the layoffs.

I think the main reason I'm getting frustrated is Alias went from being my favorite show to a show I was so disinterested in I neither watched nor taped the Series finale. I have no idea what happened, and I don't really care.

I just don't want to get to that point with Lost but it looks like JJ has learned his lesson from Alias.

Yup...I feel the same way Russ...wife and I used to love Alias, until it just lost its course.

But I will say this about Alias...the network really wanted them to make changes to appeal to those fans who couldn't follow a serialized show...

Suddenly Lost came out, and serialized shows are all the rage...too bad Alias didn't come out a bit later.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I was expecting a bit more of a "WTF?!?" cliffhanger. Having Jack and Kate nod, Sawyer look confused, Brutha's gf working with the Russians to find him and Mr. Eko, John and Brutha being buried in a pile of rubble is pretty cool, but it just didnt seem to have that classic TV finale cliffhanger.* Am I wrong?

*I still admit that I prob am missing some stuff and will rewatch the finale

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I guess I was expecting a bit more of a "WTF?!?" cliffhanger. Having Jack and Kate nod, Sawyer look confused, Brutha's gf working with the Russians to find him and Mr. Eko, John and Brutha being buried in a pile of rubble is pretty cool, but it just didnt seem to have that classic TV finale cliffhanger.* Am I wrong?

*I still admit that I prob am missing some stuff and will rewatch the finale

I thought the end with the russians looking for him, and his wife being called was a "WTF?" type of ending :)

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Others are in fact scientists/doctors who are studying the EM aberration.

Some people get sick from the high magnetic forces and some don't. The EM has healing properties - like the universes' largest Q-Ray wrist band.

The shots are some kind of innoculation to keep the iron in the blood from actually breaking down due to the high magnetic levels. Some people are resistant to the blood disease.

The plane, boats, etc, all came there due to the instruments going haywire when the EM is strong.

I believe Widmer is some sort of a bad dude who possibly created the Dharma Initiative with the possibility of harnessing the magnetic power for profit. However, research needed to be done to actually find out about the effects.

So much more...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I thought the end with the russians looking for him, and his wife being called was a "WTF?" type of ending :)

I wonder how many people watching that didn't even know the show was still going? They went black for a second, then we see the ice the wind and cold and then the Russians. By that point Lucy was almost to the bathroom grumbling about not answering enough questions when I said "it's still on, this is still Lost" and she came back.

So Penny's father is very familiar, I think he was the real estate tycoon dad on the OC when I watched that a few years ago. Is that where I know him from, or have we seen him on Lost before?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I wonder how many people watching that didn't even know the show was still going? They went black for a second, then we see the ice the wind and cold and then the Russians. By that point Lucy was almost to the bathroom grumbling about not answering enough questions when I said "it's still on, this is still Lost" and she came back.

So Penny's father is very familiar, I think he was the real estate tycoon dad on the OC when I watched that a few years ago. Is that where I know him from, or have we seen him on Lost before?

He was on the OC and died last season I believe. Or the season before, can't remember.

The one thing though, that is funny...that show was set in Newport Beach, and that was on the back of Libby's boat :)

As for the end of the show...if I hadn't had HD, I wouldn't have realized it was still the show, as many didn't. Some people skipped ahead thinking it was a commercial.

Since it was still widescreen, and commercials being widescreen are kind of rare at times, I knew it was still the show.

And also...I knew, just KNEW, they had to end with a bang...

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I so agree. I was like, that's it? I thought it was a beer commercial! :D
I'm actually re-watching it now to try and catch whatever I might have missed.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I wonder how many people watching that didn't even know the show was still going? They went black for a second, then we see the ice the wind and cold and then the Russians.

I thought that too. Good thing I was DVRing! ;)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
and if things weren't crazy enough - check this out: Widmore

shawn

Best disclaimer ever;

"Caution: This is a real site.
If this wasn't a real site you couldn't be here.
This site is also officially unofficial, whatever that means.
If you don't want your mind expanded beyond 27 diagonal inches,
you should leave immediately."

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone catch the guy from the Hanso Foundation on Kimmel last night?!? I DVR'd it, but havent watched it yet.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
Did anyone catch the guy from the Hanso Foundation on Kimmel last night?!? I DVR'd it, but havent watched it yet.

same here - tivo'd it, but haven't watched it yet.

shawn

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Experience the Dharma® Organic when you put
your lips to this divine libation.
Open your senses to the cup that
connects you to coffee fields
cultivated in sustainable,
chemical-free fashion by
small farmers in harmony
with the local environment.
You must be registered for see images

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Something I thought was pretty cool was finding out that the guys in the Pearl hatch watching the guys press the button and writting it down were apart of some sort of experiment as well. The books they were writting in and the tubes they put it in went no where and they were doing it for nothing.

Whats up with that?

and

And the 4 toed giant foot statue???????????????

and

Henry - "We are the Good guys"????????????????