Lost

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question I meant to ask. Was the computer an older terminal where it's all part of the computer, or was it a monitor and keyboard connecting to a computer? Locke picked up the monitor and smashed it, but did that mean that they couldn't have just typed in the numbers and hit enter and it still would have reset the timer?

In other words, if I disconnect my monitor right now and keep typing, you will still see the ramblings from me even though I can't because my monitor isn't hooked up. So did Locke destroy the whole thing, or just the monitor?

And if the whole point of entering the numbers was to prevent the EM deal, why not automate it so the computer types the numbers itself every 108 minutes take away the human element of mistake?

And the bird, what the hell was that?

I guess that's 3 questions.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Another question I meant to ask. Was the computer an older terminal where it's all part of the computer, or was it a monitor and keyboard connecting to a computer? Locke picked up the monitor and smashed it, but did that mean that they couldn't have just typed in the numbers and hit enter and it still would have reset the timer?

In other words, if I disconnect my monitor right now and keep typing, you will still see the ramblings from me even though I can't because my monitor isn't hooked up. So did Locke destroy the whole thing, or just the monitor?

And if the whole point of entering the numbers was to prevent the EM deal, why not automate it so the computer types the numbers itself every 108 minutes take away the human element of mistake?

I never noticed if the keyboard was plugged into the monitor (like an old school terminal) or plugged into something else.

I thought about the automation of the number entry the first time I saw it. Even with some old operating system/programming language it would be possible.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I never noticed if the keyboard was plugged into the monitor (like an old school terminal) or plugged into something else.

I thought about the automation of the number entry the first time I saw it. Even with some old operating system/programming language it would be possible.

Maybe they thought the automation could fail...whereas a human in there with no place to go, was more failproof?

I dunno...I guess he could have a heart attack and die too, lol.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also just realized that Pen and the Russian guys was the first time something off the island has occurred in present day.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
And the bird, what the hell was that?

Dont know what kind of bird it was but remember on the glow in the dark map there was mention of a zoological station somewhere on the island. Presumably to do experiments of course on different animals. Hence the odd bird and Polar Bear on a tropical island.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I also just realized that Pen and the Russian guys was the first time something off the island has occurred in present day.

Yup, that's why it was so shocking.

There are people out there looking for this place...

Maybe she knows about a few things too...maybe not only Desmond, but she knows there was a plane that disappeared out there as well...we have no idea what she knows.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey, can one of you folks who recorded it in HD look at something for me. I set mine to record in old school picture so I can't tell, but some of the "others" are barefoot when they are on the dock and I can't tell if they have 4 toes. There is a shot of Henry walking back to the ones tied up after he says "bon voyage" to Michael that has a decent shot of his bare feet.

Also, when I turned on my set it was still on the same station from last night and there was Micheal on The View. He said he was told he wouldn't be on season 3, but then went on to say after seeing the final he couldn't see how he wouldn't. He said they told originally he would be in season 4 and that they would get off the island, but now he's confused and is wondering if the writers have decided to change things around.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O.M.G.

Great episode...just awesome. Fauxnry Gale is just brilliant and creepy. The Dharma Doors to a brick wall...excellent. Kelvin and Desmond...awesome. So odd that Kelvin knew nothing could hurt him outside, yet he went out anyway with the suit on all the time (even before Desmond showed up). That he and his previous partner drew the map on the blast door with detergent mix (great call by people on thefuselage.net/com) blind.

Micheal and Walt getting away...for now....

The 4 toed Colossus looking statue.

Sawyer shooting an Other.

Arguably the three most popular characters in Jack, Kate and Sawyer with the others.

The appearance of the Ferry Station, referenced in the Pearl's Orientation video.

The button...all of it. Locke's little "I was wrong" at the end. The result if you don't push it. "I think I crashed your plane." The failsafe.

If the time that Desmond missed the button pushing caused the plane to crash (and it was only going off for a little bit) what will be the result of this one's magnetic pulse? It was going for a long time, and heavily enough to crush the 108 timer onto itself. Something is going to come of this...another plane or a boat wreck?

Not only is the computer destroyed, but is the counter destroyed since it crushed in on itself? Did the failsafe fix the magnetic pulse problem for good? Did it really blow the hatch up? We didn't see that, but assume it. I assume nothing with this show now. Are Locke and Eko dead? Is Desmond dead (he'd be safer, I'd think, a few levels below)?

Charlie and Claire...good, maybe he'll stop being a pouty, whiny b.

Outsiders in real time looking for Desmond and tracking the EMP? I am so happy this was brought in, as I posted something about this far back in the thread...in that post though I was hoping for flashbacks of family/friends of the Survivors of 815. This was great though...it's the one thing I thought this show was missing...the real world and how it would react to a plane/boat/person just going "off the map" missing.

Monster bird saying Huuuur-leeeeeeeee. Creeeeee-pyyyyyyy

And a whole lot more.

Now I'll go off to TheFuselage, get a ton of other weird coincidences and theories and observations (best Lost site out there) and rewatch the episode.

Good stuff, JJ...you witch.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Monster bird saying Huuuur-leeeeeeeee. Creeeeee-pyyyyyyy

Right after it crapped gold. ;)

Glad you finally watched it D-Dogg!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
So odd that Kelvin knew nothing could hurt him outside, yet he went out anyway with the suit on all the time (even before Desmond showed up).
I think the only reason he was wearing the suit was to scare desmond into staying in the hatch. Where did you get the idea that he was wearing the suit without Des around?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
Right after it crapped gold. ;)

Glad you finally watched it D-Dogg!

Did the bird really say Hurley? I thought Sawyer's line about crapping gold was basically saying it didn't say Hurley you just heard that?

That bird was the one part that didn't seem to fit to me, it didn't even look real, but I guess it could be a mutant experiment sort of deal like Joe mentioned.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Did the bird really say Hurley? I thought Sawyer's line about crapping gold was basically saying it didn't say Hurley you just heard that?

Yeah that's the line, I went back to hear the bird and got Sawyer's smartass response again too. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I think the only reason he was wearing the suit was to scare desmond into staying in the hatch. Where did you get the idea that he was wearing the suit without Des around?

When he came out in the suits to get Desmond off the beach.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

That bird was the one part that didn't seem to fit to me, it didn't even look real, but I guess it could be a mutant experiment sort of deal like Joe mentioned.

Yes, we ran it back and it says Hurley... Huuuur....leeeeeeee. I could hear it. Sawyers line was great though, but that just means he didn't hear it, not that the bird didn't say it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
When he came out in the suits to get Desmond off the beach.

But that was to get Desmond so he could have been wearing the suit just to scare Desmond.

When that scene started I thought there was more than one guy in a suit but maybe that was because Desmond's vision wasn't clear?

Considering I originally was unhappy with the finale I have to admit I'm still thinking about it so it was clearly pretty damn good.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Maybe they thought the automation could fail...whereas a human in there with no place to go, was more failproof?

I dunno...I guess he could have a heart attack and die too, lol.

But if thats true and you want the humans to do it, why enter sucha weird number combination, why not just have a big red button and you go push it like a gas shut off button at a gas station? Wouldn't that be much easier, and probably install them in several locations thruought the hatch so that if during a lockdown your locked out and the timer is near 0 you can still push it???

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, stylistically, the finale was a little different too. The scene where Brutha was washed up and taken to the hatch had a very cool tweaker feel to it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
But that was to get Desmond so he could have been wearing the suit just to scare Desmond.

When that scene started I thought there was more than one guy in a suit but maybe that was because Desmond's vision wasn't clear?
I had the same thoughts --on both counts.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
But if thats true and you want the humans to do it, why enter sucha weird number combination, why not just have a big red button and you go push it like a gas shut off button at a gas station? Wouldn't that be much easier, and probably install them in several locations thruought the hatch so that if during a lockdown your locked out and the timer is near 0 you can still push it???

yep I wondered that too, why have a sequence, and not just a big red button you push every 108 minutes?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Yes, we ran it back and it says Hurley... Huuuur....leeeeeeee. I could hear it. Sawyers line was great though, but that just means he didn't hear it, not that the bird didn't say it.

I ran it back like 10 times and still think the thing says Hurley.

Maybe it sounded like it said Hurley because of of the power of suggestion.

Hurley says he heard it so we think we hear it to. Busting out some physicology on this one. I think the writters of the show are doing this sort of thing all the time to confuse us, missdirection, or just to cause plain old debate and water cooler talk.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.