Lutui back

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
At 381 lbs. on August 1st, I can't envision him being in shape by September. Probably headed for the PUP list.

People were saying the same thing last season.

Lutui was 396 in June of last year and was down to 360 or so by the end of July. Ended up playing at what 340? I don't see why everyone is bagging on Duece who does this and then plays well every season.

A loser? The Cards were 1-8 when Duece took over as starting guard in 2006. They won 35 games, two NFC West titles and an NFC Championship over the next 3.5 years before DeWreck Anderson showed up. :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lutui was 396 in June of last year and was down to 360 or so by the end of July. Ended up playing at what 340? I don't see why everyone is bagging on Duece who does this and then plays well every season.

A loser? The Cards were 1-8 when Duece took over as starting guard in 2006. They won 35 games, two NFC West titles and an NFC Championship over the next 3.5 years before DeWreck Anderson showed up. :D
Would you rather have a player who stays in shape during the offseason or one who doesn't? Seems like the guy who doesn't wait to lose weight in training camp will be better conditioned. Just my opinion.

And does it not say something about Deuce that that he couldn't stay at weight during an off-season where he was playing for a contract?

That said, I am glad Deuce is still in the mix. Cards liked him enough to bring back, good enough for me.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would you rather have a player who stays in shape during the offseason or one who doesn't? Seems like the guy who doesn't wait to lose weight in training camp will be better conditioned. Just my opinion.

All things being equal I would. However I'd rather have the best players playing and I think Deuce is better than the alternatives on the roster.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All things being equal I would. However I'd rather have the best players playing and I think Deuce is better than the alternatives on the roster.
Ya, I think he at the very least adds quality depth. I like him I really do. :)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've seen Lutui do over the years is he aways seems to get down field and make a hit on the 'pile' to try to squeeze out any extra yardage. I like that very much...seems to be the extra effort not every OL guy does

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What I've seen Lutui do over the years is he aways seems to get down field and make a hit on the 'pile' to try to squeeze out any extra yardage. I like that very much...seems to be the extra effort not every OL guy does

That is exactly why I like Lutui so much. Goes back to the Dallas game his rookie year. Everyone else had quit or failed to even show up but there was Duece still hustling downfield blowing up defenders in the 4th quarter. Who cares what he does off the field as long as he's performing well on the field?

Well his wife might since it appears to have cost him $4 million or so.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is exactly why I like Lutui so much. Goes back to the Dallas game his rookie year. Everyone else had quit or failed to even show up but there was Duece still hustling downfield blowing up defenders in the 4th quarter. Who cares what he does off the field as long as he's performing well on the field?

Well his wife might since it appears to have cost him $4 million or so.
In your mind, is there any possibity Deuce might be even better if he stayed in better shape? Match his intensity with a leaner meaner fighting machiner, WATCH OUT! :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In your mind, is there any possibity Deuce might be even better if he stayed in better shape? Match his intensity with a leaner meaner fighting machiner, WATCH OUT! :)

If every season had been like last season maybe. But come on we've had one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL for most of the time he's been starting.

Of course that also brings up the questions how much better can you get? What is in shape for NFL Guards? I'm sure Marcel Shipp worked hard and was in great shape every season. What if being leaner made him less effective?

Like it did ChrisW. :p

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If every season had been like last season maybe. But come on we've had one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL for most of the time he's been starting.

Of course that also brings up the questions how much better can you get? What is in shape for NFL Guards? I'm sure Marcel Shipp worked hard and was in great shape every season. What if being leaner made him less effective?

Like it did ChrisW. :p
Looks like 381 is not in shape. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This. Almost all players lose a ton of weight during training camp. Wolfley even specifically mentioned Calais Campbell last year being a "freak" because he can put on weight in camp (started at like 290, walked out over 300 lbs.).

Almost all players also lose weight in-season, as well. With a big guy like Deuce without (contractual) workouts, he's going to put on weight, but it's also worth understanding that for the last 10 years of his life (from freshman football onward) it's been drilled into him that he needs to be putting on weight. Add in cultural factors (those Polynesians put on weight like crazy when you combine a high-carb diet with a low-work lifestlye), and you can see how he comes in heavy every year.

But Duck's right that Coach said pretty much the exact same thing last year--maybe word for word. The press even mentioned it during his presser yesterday. I'd expect Deuce to be playing with the third team for the first week of the preseason, then working his way back into the starting lineup for the Carolina game. He's a very good player.

Welcome back, Deuce. You're my favorite signing of free agency.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deuce is in better shape than I thought.... seriously. I do not think the Cardinals were shocked.
Ya, not really a big deal since Cards took him back. Strange it mattered so much to Cincy all of the sudden when this should be a well known thing with Deuce.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Triple Wow.

Our guards are now Hadnot, Womack, Colledge, and Lutui ?

Jeez, that is one too many for the ol' depth chart. Maybe put Hadnot as the backup center ?

OT:
Brown
Keith
Bridges

OG:
Lutui
Colledge
Womack

OC:
Sendlein
Hadnot

That is pretty impressive, not dominate, not great, but impressive. I would be shocked if the Cardinals can't find a solid 5 out of those names.

Porkchop can play OT. He did it for the Hawks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Porkchop can play OT. He did it for the Hawks.

Lutui and Womack are the guys fighting for a roster spot, IMO. Womack is not a very good football player, and he's old. Lutui has had friction with the coaching staff, but is a draft pick and knows the personnel around him. I think that one of them don't make the final 53, and the other will likely be a starter.

I think the Cards would be happiest with both Bridges and Hadnot being swing linemen who can combine across all 5 OL positions.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad we got Deuce back. Love his nasty attitude on the field.

He can shed the weight.

Welcome home Deuce!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about Deuce's tendency to miss blocking uassignments and jump the snap.

Based on what? Deuce had 2 false start penalties all year last season, with 4 different QBs playing next to him. He has 5 false starts the past three years COMBINED.