Matt Leinart's Personal Life Merge Thread

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Namath could do it because he had a ring
In 1965, Joe Namath completed fewer than 50% of his passes and had only 18 TDs to 15 Ints in a year when his team went 5-8-1.
In 1966, Joe Namath completed fewer than 50% of his passes and had only 19 TDs to 27 Ints in a year when his team went 6-6-2.

I'm not saying Leinart has done better (he has completed a higher percentage of passes), but he hasn't done worse.

Kornheiser and Wilbon are idiots.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
In 1965, Joe Namath completed fewer than 50% of his passes and had only 18 TDs to 15 Ints in a year when his team went 5-8-1.
In 1966, Joe Namath completed fewer than 50% of his passes and had only 19 TDs to 27 Ints in a year when his team went 6-6-2.

I'm not saying Leinart has done better (he has completed a higher percentage of passes), but he hasn't done worse.

While I agree they are both idiots, Wilbon actually stood up for Matty, saying he can do whatever he wants during the offseason.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Per the official blog:

On Leinart and his off-time

Obviously Matt Leinart has been in the news over the last 24 hours or so, thanks to some photos taken at a party at his house and those shots showing up on the internet. It has spawned newspaper articles and a mention, for instance, on this afternoon's Pardon The Interruption show on ESPN.

I haven't had a chance to talk to Leinart (although Matt did attend voluntary workouts both Monday and this morning) and I'll also leave the debate about the situation to others. But with the Cardinals' braintrust in Florida for the NFL owners meetings and with coach Ken Whisenhunt set to meet, along with the other NFC coaches, the media at a breakfast Wednesday morning, here is Whisenhunt's statement on the matter:

"Matt called me Monday morning and we spoke for a while," Whisenhunt said. "I reiterated to him the type of behavior that we expect at all times from our players. He understands that as well as the level of scrutiny that he's under because of who he is. It's being handled internally. I was disappointed but at the same time have no doubts about his commitment to this football team or his ability to lead it."

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. Namath was "Broadway Joe" before he won the Super Bowl.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
While I agree they are both idiots, Wilbon actually stood up for Matty, saying he can do whatever he wants during the offseason.

Exactly, if it was the season, then critcize Matt. So long as he's at training and studying the playbook, let him blow off steam how he wants. At least Matt wasn't at a strip club where someone got shot. At least Matt didn't drive drunk, crash his car and then call cops saying his car was stolen. At least Matt partied at his house.

Why is that such a freaking crime? Fourth of July, my friends and I get together, drink way too much and act like immature idiots and they all have kids and we're all 32. It's called having fun once in a while. Call me when he does this in training camp or during the season. Until then, leave him alone. Last I looked, the freaking draft hasn't even happened and they're talking like it's going to affect the season.

Kornholio is an idjut anyhoo.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I wonder where the public outrage was when pictures of prominent members of the Phoenix Suns partying with UofA girls during training camp surfaced on dirtyscottsdale? I don't recall Bickley throwing a tantrum back then.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet Whis told Matt to hire security guards to pat people down now, no cameras or phones allowed.

He attended voluntary workouts Monday and today, isn't that what he's supposed to do? No, it's not, they are voluntary. Edge is in Florida, isn't Fitz still in Argentina? Looks like Matt is committed to the team to me.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't care what Leinart does but if he doesn't get a career eventually all the hot babes are gonna disappear.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet Whis told Matt to hire security guards to pat people down now, no cameras or phones allowed.

He attended voluntary workouts Monday and today, isn't that what he's supposed to do? No, it's not, they are voluntary. Edge is in Florida, isn't Fitz still in Argentina? Looks like Matt is committed to the team to me.

No! He is young, rich and handsome and therefore should be admonished. Yes I said handsome. He shows up at work when he needs to. What he does in his free time is his business.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No! He is young, rich and handsome and therefore should be admonished. Yes I said handsome. He shows up at work when he needs to. What he does in his free time is his business.

He shows up at work when he doesn't need to, as well. I can't wait for the draft, because these threads get a :bigyawn: from me.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thread to be closed in 4-3-2-1????

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thread closure coming in 3-2-1 ?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

guys, sorry to crash this board (I usually only share my opinions on the Suns Forum). However, for 40 some guys on the team, I think the above is 100% correct. However, for a few, including Leinhart, they have a larger responsibility to the team and organization that just 'showing up for work'. His is the face of the franchise in the community, he is supposed to be the leader in the locker room, and he is supposed to show poise under pressure. His personal time antics take away from each of those areas. Quarterbacks and other team leaders get paid more because they assume these roles in addition to those on the field.

just my $.02... you can give me back my change if you want.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
guys, sorry to crash this board (I usually only share my opinions on the Suns Forum). However, for 40 some guys on the team, I think the above is 100% correct. However, for a few, including Leinhart, they have a larger responsibility to the team and organization that just 'showing up for work'. His is the face of the franchise in the community, he is supposed to be the leader in the locker room, and he is supposed to show poise under pressure. His personal time antics take away from each of those areas. Quarterbacks and other team leaders get paid more because they assume these roles in addition to those on the field.

The guy had a house party for crying out loud. This is ridiculous. Go read a star magazine.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

You very much nailed it. When you become a high priced public figure in a public forum your so called free time is not like other peoples. What you do and what your say away from work do have an impact on the team. Matt in particular is supposed to be the QB of the future. So far he has not done much of anything and for him the future is now. If he is a bust the first game of two or three you can bet fingers will be pointing at him. His team mates may wonder did this guy do his homework or is he just another pretty face. With all that money he received comes a lot of responsibility that extends beyond the fieldd

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Kids. That is the only reason I think this is even news. Cause a kid can see this and it is not a good example.

Cause seriously, at first (meaning when I got home a saw the pics) I was SHOCKED that this was even news. But I guess that is the way the world is these days, I mean I thought people were joking when J.Shockey was having a beer at the Superbowl.

I have now realized that was supposed to be bad, and Shockey is bad for doing it.

I can't say I agree, or that I am not completely tweaked right now that this is how ultra sensitive things are these days.................. . .

Well, regardless I guess the situation is what it is.

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You very much nailed it. When you become a high priced public figure in a public forum your so called free time is not like other peoples. What you do and what your say away from work do have an impact on the team. Matt in particular is supposed to be the QB of the future. So far he has not done much of anything and for him the future is now. If he is a bust the first game of two or three you can bet fingers will be pointing at him. His team mates may wonder did this guy do his homework or is he just another pretty face. With all that money he received comes a lot of responsibility that extends beyond the fieldd
I have never been a fan of the off-field ML, but this whole this is nothing more than overblown BS. The guy was having some drinks and getting some strange at HIS HOUSE in the OFFSEASON!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would that upset his teammates??? If NFLers aren't allowed to party responsibly during the season or the offseason, how will they continue making kids they dont raise?????

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Wow. You're right.

That says a lot for many an athelete. I couldn't image being under a microscope 24/7 where you can't even have a party in your own house without taking into consideration what could happen.

Just never thought of the extent of being an professional athelete, and how you can't do anything without someone, somewhere watching.

I don't know if I could give up my life like that for anything. Even to play football for a living and even if I got paid millions to do it.

But I guess why they get paid millions of dollars. Cause they are always punched in at work.

Good posts!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew Whis would have to say something about it. Leinart is going to have to say something too.

Personally, I don't think closing threads about what has become a national discussion about one of players is fair to our members. I understand there was a concern based on the completely bogus rumor posted about Leinart last season. It went from a couple of pics to some posters claiming Leinart played hungover and/or high the next day. Personally, I think we should remember that experience. I don't doubt the pics are real. But, we don't have any clue as to whether he's doing what the coaches want him to do.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder where the public outrage was when pictures of prominent members of the Phoenix Suns partying with UofA girls during training camp surfaced on dirtyscottsdale? I don't recall Bickley throwing a tantrum back then.

If Leinart grew up on a farm, attended Kansas, and didn't have any celebrities as friends there wouldn't be 1/10th of the attention this is getting.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Whiz should have let it go, it's not worth even responding to. The guy had a party, I still don't get the big deal. He even attended the voluntary work outs Monday and today. The guy is not only not missing work, he's showing up for voluntary work. Other then this small party, he's been the shining example of how to behave since his injury. He's done everything right, and some would blast him for having a party at his own house. Simply amazing.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiz should have let it go, it's not worth even responding to. The guy had a party, I still don't get the big deal. He even attended the voluntary work outs Monday and today. The guy is not only not missing work, he's showing up for voluntary work. Other then this small party, he's been the shining example of how to behave since his injury. He's done everything right, and some would blast him for having a party at his own house. Simply amazing.

No, a statement was smart. Otherwise, he would've been hounded by reporters in every press conference until he did say something. Off the cuff, he might say something he regretted. Now, he can say, "I said all I'm going to say about that" if asked. He's done with it. If Leinart's smart, which I'm kind of doubting now, he'll release a statement too.