Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And how would phxsuns.net have that inside knowledge? I mean this much wasn't even posted on realgm.

I think whoever posted it on phxsuns.net got the summary from a poster on the espn board. It wasn't clear who compiled the summary so I didn't know how to site it. I wasn't trying to take credit for it though. Someone took the time to research it and summarize it. All of the info in the summary I have read from other threads from realgm to espn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
i didn't realize KG had a no-trade clause. if so, that defintely chages things, in our favor as far as Barbs or no Barbs. but does anyone know if this is actually true with the "no trade clause"- it's the first I've heard of it. I know Kobe's got one, not sure about KG.

Well he definately has a trade kicker that is his option to exercise when he gets traded.
A trade kicker pays a player 15% of his contract as a bonus, and that bonus counts against the cap averaged out on the years of the contract. Not sure if its 15% of his total contract or the remaining money left on the contract.

In case of his full contract that would be ~17M$ bonus, in case of his remaining contract it would be 7M$ bonus. An additional ~3M$ on the cap.

I believe its the full contract, so it would be a 17M$ bonus and an additional 3M$ caphit.

Quite possible a trade kicker on a huge contract like that is seen as a no trade clause. I can't see many teams willing to trade for KG if he doesn't waive the trade kicker..

On the other hand players like Lebron, Wade, Ilgauskas, Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Bowen, Barry, Kobe, Kwame, Carmelo all have trade kickers.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Folster where did you get that summary?

Makes sense..

The part I don't get is why the leak from the Wolves thought that the fans would put pressure on Kerr to include Amare. If we had to include Amare and whoever for filler to make the salaries match the Suns wouldn't be any better next year, just older and thinner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he definately has a trade kicker that is his option to exercise when he gets traded.
A trade kicker pays a player 15% of his contract as a bonus, and that bonus counts against the cap averaged out on the years of the contract. Not sure if its 15% of his total contract or the remaining money left on the contract.

In case of his full contract that would be ~17M$ bonus, in case of his remaining contract it would be 7M$ bonus. An additional ~3M$ on the cap.

Quite possible a trade kicker on a huge contract like that is seen as a no trade clause. I can't see many teams willing to trade for KG if he doesn't waive the trade kicker..

hmmm. other guys who have trade kickers have been traded though, although KG's contract is extremely outside the norm. Still, not exactly a no-trade clause though if a team is able to matchup salaries.

I can't believe we're all going so nuts about this considering it's just the word of an anonymous internet poster (regardless of his past or whatever) this just seems like a stretch of epic proportions that we would get such an incredible inside scoop, but I guess with the advent of the internet, anything's possible.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't know, if its the full contract. I can't see ANY team other than the Knicks trading for Garnett unless he waves his kicker.

We are talking about 17 Million $ immediately paid as a bonus and an additional caphit of slightly over 3M$.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
The knicks are hemmoraging money, I dont see how they could even fathom absorbing KGs contract

Arent they the highest over cap in the league by a ridiculous amount?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0619suns0619.html

Ugh, not exactly the most encouraging news. Basically echoing what gambo said, "a long shot".

Let's just hope this is the sports version of "Dan-Rather-Gate," where the Internets and blogosphere are way ahead of the old-school media.

Damnit basketball gods you owe us one! You know you do. (Actually you owe us about 657, but right now we'll all settle for one).

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Of course an Amare trade is a long shot. But just because SI is reporting a rumor of Amare KG discussions doesnt mean Coro has to

I agree its a long shot, but when a realgm mod locks then unlocks a thread due to legit sources, and the thread gets 40k views in 3 days, I put more weight in that than what Coro writes.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe is the only player w/ a no trade clause in his contract. Garnett has an opt out and a kicker, but he doesn't have a no trade clause. So this "family member" made at least one claim we know isn't true.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
the family member wasnt the one who posted the statement about a no trade clause, that was just some noob on a forum filled with 12 year olds.

He is the one saying it was 90% sure. I would believe he had a source from KGs family before I believed he was a family member who thought KG couldnt be traded.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
The knicks are hemmoraging money, I dont see how they could even fathom absorbing KGs contract

Arent they the highest over cap in the league by a ridiculous amount?

The New York Knicks are the Chicago Cubs of the NBA. They throw money at anyone who moves and they always suck but for some reason they still have a fanbase :doi: . Only reason you hear them mentioned is because sites like realgm, espn and hoopshype want to get thosee 12 million people or so in NY to go to their sites so they have to put together those half-assed "Knicks want (insert player here)" articles you always see.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's so wrong dude. Can't tease us like that, and this thing doesn't come true.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
From the Phoenix RealGM board:

Magic fan here. Following events with curiousity.

A Magic poster posted this on our forum. No idea how legit they are:
"I talked to my friend that works for the NBA and here is what he told me about the deal:

1) Their is a deal on the table between the Suns and T-Wolvs for KG. The deal is very preliminary, no contracts have been drawn up or anything.

2) The deal does involve Amare. Why? Because dispite all of what the Suns say in the media, they don't trust Amare's knee. The are not 100% certain that his knee will not have problems in the future. Also they feel that they can still be a contender without Amare (see the season that he went down). Lastly, they feel that they have a better chance at getting full value for Amare then Marion.

3) The deal, at this time, does not involve Diaw, Marion, or Barbosa. I expect this to change before a deal does happen.

4) At the present time the deal is a very bad deal for the T-wolves. People that I have told the deal to were like "you got to be kidding me".

5) If a deal does happen it will most likely happen before the Draft.

This is all that I can say at the present time. I was asked to keep this low key so that it would not hurt the trade talks. The Only reason that I posted this much is because their was an article on the wiretap about the trade talks between Suns and T-Wolves."

Kerr wont trade amare his first year, period. This deal is a no go.

I dont see why Marion/KT/ATL '08/#24 isnt getting more momentum in the rumor mill.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of any possible trade where Minnesota gets Amare in return for KG and it is considered a bad deal for them. That is just impossible.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the Phoenix RealGM board:

Kerr wont trade amare his first year, period. This deal is a no go.

I dont see why Marion/KT/ATL '08/#24 isnt getting more momentum in the rumor mill.

The first guy on Real GM that posted the original Rumor has more validity then that one...and I question that one too. The Suns cannot get full value for Amare if all they get in return in KG. No freaking way. Marion for KG I will buy. Not Amare.

This rumor is trash... urban legend the way it is stated.

:thumbup:

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I think that the reason I´m in favor for this trade is that it gives us the best chance to win a title in Nash´s last years. That should be all that matters. Ask the Heat (who are completely screwed right now by the way) if they´d mortgage their future for that ring.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
probably because Minny would laugh at that deal.

No because the media loves to throw around big names and Amare draws a lot more attention...

You know Amare is a selfish cancer, troublemaker that the Suns wish to unload and they also are scared of his knee. [/sarcasm]

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
No because the media loves to throw around big names and Amare draws a lot more attention...

You know Amare is a selfish cancer, troublemaker that the Suns wish to unload and they also are scared of his knee. [/sarcasm]

Minny would be getting taken to the cleaners in that deal. They´d much rather do something with Chicago like 9-Ben Gordon-Tyrus Thomas.