Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Minny would be getting taken to the cleaners in that deal. They´d much rather do something with Chicago like 9-Ben Gordon-Tyrus Thomas.

Except that deal is impossible. There are very little deals that are possible without mortgaging an entire team.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Minny would be getting taken to the cleaners in that deal. They´d much rather do something with Chicago like 9-Ben Gordon-Tyrus Thomas.

Here's a math equation that explains how to successfully get taken to the cleaners:

gordon + thomas + #9 = Garnett/3

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Gordon, Thomas and #9 for Garnett... And you are still more than 15M$ away from matching Garnetts contract and The Wolves would have to worry about extending Gordon right away, The Bulls would have to include Ben Wallace which together with Gordons extension would make the Wolves payroll EXPLODE. They would be worse off than with keeping Garnett for over 20M$ a year. Esentially they would pay luxury tax for a rebuilding team.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=3960907
Add ATL '08 to Minnesota and #29 to boston if necessary

Minny now has
Thomas, Ratliff, Gomes, #5, #24, ATL '08 ... 2 Veteran PFCs, an up and coming SF, #5,7,24 in an amazing draft, and ATL's lotto pick next summer. Expiring contracts and awesome picks this year... and they only get rid of one player.

Boston has
Marion and #29 to give a lineup of Pierce Jefferson and Marion in their front court, West and Green in the back. A solid starting five to be a valid contender in the east.

Phoenix has
a ring

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think "IF" there was a shot at Garnett the Suns would have to send Marion & Barbosa, along with Atlanta's 08 Pick.

I still do it

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=3960907
Add ATL '08 to Minnesota and #29 to boston if necessary

Minny now has
Thomas, Ratliff, Gomes, #5, #24, ATL '08 ... 2 Veteran PFCs, an up and coming SF, #5,7,24 in an amazing draft, and ATL's lotto pick next summer. Expiring contracts and awesome picks this year... and they only get rid of one player.

Boston has
Marion and #29 to give a lineup of Pierce Jefferson and Marion in their front court, West and Green in the back. A solid starting five to be a valid contender in the east.

Phoenix has
a ring

I would be stoked with this deal. What do some of you guys think the chances are? Iknow Gambo was adamant that they would not trade for one of the big 2 on the block.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I would be stoked with this deal. What do some of you guys think the chances are? Iknow Gambo was adamant that they would not trade for one of the big 2 on the block.
Zero. Minnesota ain't trading Garnett for salary cap room, an undersized PF, and a draft pick that's not named Durant or Oden. Minnesota at the very least wants a trade built around proven impact prospect such as in a Bulls trade featuring Luol Deng or around a veteran impact player such as Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, or Lamar Odom.

Maybe if you replace Gomes with Al Jefferson but then the Celtics wouldn't bite.

Last edited:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is a basic problem with all the Suns trade proposals. The Suns don't have enough trading pieces. It doesn't matter how much you shuffle the deck, the Suns cannot give up enough players for the other team to get value and still be able to field a competative team.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns dont have enough trading pieces? I beg to differ, the Suns have more trading pieces than any other team in the league, it is just a question of someone offering a deal that the Suns would consider good enough.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There is a basic problem with all the Suns trade proposals. The Suns don't have enough trading pieces. It doesn't matter how much you shuffle the deck, the Suns cannot give up enough players for the other team to get value and still be able to field a competative team.

I'm not sure why a package of Marion/Barbosa is so universally slammed, especially by you, George. Shawn Marion, the #1 role player in the league, and Leandro Barbosa, the current 6th Man of the Year, and that isn't good enough? I know we're all pretty fickle about our own team, but come on now. That's as good a package as you'll EVER see around the league today.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Barbosa is untouchable though I think.

He is very good, young, extremely good character, very loyal, a bargain, loves Phoenix and would probably falter anywhere if he is traded because his confidence would be shot and he would have trouble adjusting to another city and team.

I don't think the Suns would trade him right now although his value is probably as high as it will ever be.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Marion/Barbosa pick is a pretty damn good package, I just don't think it's good enough to land Kobe or Garnett because of the inter-conference trading issues that GM's are so adamant about and because it's missing a cornerstone player. Good enough to land a star, but not good enough to land the elite franchise players the aforementioned guys are.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
No other offer has more potential than a marion package/boston-phx combo of some sort. Minnesota knows this

asudevil83

Reaction score

the suns have more than enough trading pieces to make trades work.....but there are two problems.

1.) suns fans rate their players a step ahead of everyone on the same level. for example trading Marion for a guy like Lewis/Gerald Wallace/Carter is out of the question because they arent as valueable as Marion. so, trades like this are out of the question.

2.) we are setting our sites way too high. the majority of trade ideas involve Kobe and KG. that itself is going to cost a crap load of talent. other teams in the league would have to GUT their roster to make a play at them. sure the suns would be giving up a lot, but they'd still be contenders in a deal for those two.

the suns have more than enough pieces to make REASONABLE trades. will reasonable trades make the team better?....hard to say. its the crazy trades, where the suns give up a lot of talent, that seem difficult to work.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure why a package of Marion/Barbosa is so universally slammed, especially by you, George. Shawn Marion, the #1 role player in the league, and Leandro Barbosa, the current 6th Man of the Year, and that isn't good enough? I know we're all pretty fickle about our own team, but come on now. That's as good a package as you'll EVER see around the league today.

I haven't been slamming that one, just saying I don't believe it will be enough. I think as described has some cap match issues due to Barbosa's base year contract. Also, I have a feeling that the Wolves think Foye is their version of Barbosa, so Leandro would not be the center piece.

Realistically, unless the Wolves really really want Leandro, this deal doesn't get it done for them. The Suns simply cannot afford to give up Amare and Nash with any hope of winning a championship and there just isn't anyone that is going to be much of a substitute.

Beyond anything else, I think the Wolves have to get a lot of picks. A lot!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The problem with Garnett and Kobe and their respective teams is that they will NEVER get equal value back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven't been slamming that one, just saying I don't believe it will be enough. I think as described has some cap match issues due to Barbosa's base year contract. Also, I have a feeling that the Wolves think Foye is their version of Barbosa, so Leandro would not be the center piece.

Realistically, unless the Wolves really really want Leandro, this deal doesn't get it done for them. The Suns simply cannot afford to give up Amare and Nash with any hope of winning a championship and there just isn't anyone that is going to be much of a substitute.

Beyond anything else, I think the Wolves have to get a lot of picks. A lot!
If they really want to be rid of him, they aren't going to get a lot of picks. It just won't happen. The good teams that could really use him don't have the picks to trade, and you know Garnett won't be ok with a trade to a team that has a ton of picks.

Out of all the top teams, we even have the best draft pick situation, with 3 picks this year and 3 next year.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they really want to be rid of him, they aren't going to get a lot of picks. It just won't happen. The good teams that could really use him don't have the picks to trade, and you know Garnett won't be ok with a trade to a team that has a ton of picks.

Out of all the top teams, we even have the best draft pick situation, with 3 picks this year and 3 next year.

Actually, there is only one way KG comes to Phoenix. He insists on it.

Short of that, I see no way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually, there is only one way KG comes to Phoenix. He insists on it.

Short of that, I see no way.

Well, duh... Any superstar that wants to come to a serious title contender will have to insist on it because their original team won't want to make the rich richer.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The problem with Garnett and Kobe and their respective teams is that they will NEVER get equal value back.
Granted but they'll at least want a player in return that has the potential to build a contending team around. Barbosa and Marion with their respective ages and talent levels don't apply. Luol Deng, Al Jefferson, and Amare Stoudemire (just to name a few) have that pedigree which is why the Lakers and Wolves likely won't budge unless one of those names is made available.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I would really like the guy who spread the recent rumor on the realgm boards to come back with a status check. Granted, he wont be able to reveal anything more for a while, but at least a "I stand by my statements" or "fell through, isnt gonna happen"

You cant drop a bomb like that and not give an update.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would really like the guy who spread the recent rumor on the realgm boards to come back with a status check. Granted, he wont be able to reveal anything more for a while, but at least a "I stand by my statements" or "fell through, isnt gonna happen"

it's the internet - a world without accountability. people can do whatever they want with no fear of repercussions. it's why you should take anything off the internet with a bag of salt.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Marion/Barbosa pick is a pretty damn good package, I just don't think it's good enough to land Kobe or Garnett because of the inter-conference trading issues that GM's are so adamant about and because it's missing a cornerstone player. Good enough to land a star, but not good enough to land the elite franchise players the aforementioned guys are.

I'm not saying either of these trades are going to happen (and if they did it would be KG to PHX - Kobe ain't coming here) but i would like to provide a little ammo for everyone who thinks that the Suns don't have enough acquire a superstar WHO IS FORCING HIS WAY OUT OF TOWN. The cards are stacked against the teams who have these players because all the leverege is with the player and the teams trying to acquire said player. We can all debate the percieved status for these players at the time of the trade but there are questions about Garnett and Bryant too. Thats just the nature of the beast:

Vince Carter for Eric Williams, forward/centre Aaron Williams and centre Alonzo Mourning, along with two first-round draft picks

T-Mac in his prime for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobely and Kelvin Cato

Shaq for Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and 1st round pick

Iverson for sends Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks to the Sixers for Iverson

Thats the point of these trades - you get cents on the dollar. Minnesota especially is in a precarious position because Garnett is 31 and will opt out after next year. Marion is arguably better than any of the players listed in the trades above (as far as the team trading for the superstar) and Barbosa is a better young talent than any of those player other than possibly Butler. Plus we are giving up a very likely top 10 pick next year. Obviously all this would be alot easier if we had this years #4 or #5 but i don't think it as impossible as some would have you think. And no Barbosa is NOT untouchable.

As for Bryant. He is the best player in the league in his prime. We have never really seen a situation like this. Unless he forces a PHX trade or the Suns include Amare there is no chance in hell he comes here.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Well this guy, http://slumz.boxden.com/showthread.php?t=927248&page=6, who stated the story a whole day before the realgm guy is certainly sticking by it.

He says he and the realgm guy know each other, I'm not sure if that is encouraging news or not.