Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Marion/Barbosa pick is a pretty damn good package, I just don't think it's good enough to land Kobe or Garnett because of the inter-conference trading issues that GM's are so adamant about and because it's missing a cornerstone player. Good enough to land a star, but not good enough to land the elite franchise players the aforementioned guys are.

come on, the marion/barbs/pick for kg trade is better than the horny/perry/lang for barkley trade by a mile. marion is the equivalent of horny, if not better, and barbs is better with more potential than either perry/lang.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
come on, the marion/barbs/pick for kg trade is better than the horny/perry/lang for barkley trade by a mile. marion is the equivalent of horny, if not better, and barbs is better with more potential than either perry/lang.
Being in a different conference does affect trades and the climate surrounding trades is also quite different these days with the salary cap.

If you really think Minnesota will take Marion/Barbs/ATL right now then congratulations, but it's not going to happen. Perhaps at the deadline or next offseason, but not until Minnesota exhausted every avenue to improve around him. Nor will the Lakers for Kobe. It will be Amare or nothing I'm afraid as both the Lakers and Wolves as of right now still have too much leverage.

T-Mac in his prime for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobely and Kelvin Cato
The conference rule applies. Plus at this point in time Stevie Franchise was considered one of the best combo guards in basketball and Cat Mobley was also well regarded. Although wrong at the time, it was thought that you could build a franchise around Francis.

Shaq for Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and 1st round pick
Again the conference rule applies plus with Kobe on the verge of signing with the Clippers and the Lakers wanting to accomodate Shaq with a warm weather Eastern Conference city there weren't too many options. Odom was also coming off the best year of his career and Caron Butler was a year removed from finsihing only behind Yao and Amare for ROY.

Iverson for sends Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks to the Sixers for Iverson
Iverson was intentionally sitting out games and was viewed leaguewide as over-the-hill and not worth his contract. Plus the conference rull still applies and Philly was better after he left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They can't wait to next offseason, Garnett will be a FA next offseason.

2. To wait until the deadline is utterly stupid, Garnett makes 22M$ a trade at the trade deadline will hurt the Wolves A LOT more. Trading Garnett is hard enough, at the deadline it will be nearly impossible.
Edit: Trading Garnett at the deadline WILL be impossible. The team that trades for him has to bring up all those salaries, they can't extend his contract, they have to pay his kicker if he doesn't waive it and they face losing KG in the offseason again.

The Wolves have absolutely no leverage if KG privately asks them to trade him or that he is opting out next offseason.

Conferences also mean little in KG's case.. If they trade KG they are in total rebuilding mode and are YEARS away from competing with the top teams anyway. They will also have to respect KGs wishes and Garnett in most trade scenarios will have the last say wether he wants to go there or not as no team will accept his trade kicker and take him if he is not telling them that he will sign an extension with them.

The Lakers have leverage, they are not that bad of a team, Kobe is signed for more years, Kobe is younger, Kobe is cheaper. But the Wolves? They have no leverage at all, ZERO.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That's correct, Minnesota does go in rebuilding mode if they trade KG which pretty much eliminates Shawn Marion from their list due to his age and contract and therefore puts Phoenix's deal on the ropes. Unless of course they can swing Marion for young assets (Al Jefferson seems most likely) to go to Minnesota.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way Shawn Marion makes sense for Minnesota is if he is getting moved to a third team in return for young players or draft picks. Otherwise... forget about it.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't believe a rumor this big, with no legit sources (except for those mentioning amare) has everyone so worked up into a lather. ah, the powers of the internet!

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
another blurb from the twolves mod @ realgm

"a lil birdy told me, ok, 3 lil birdies, that it is 3 teams bidding against each other. One of the teams is trying to work a 3 way deal (ironically with another one of the bidders) because they are hesitant to give up their best piece. But they will give it up if they cant get the 3 way to produce more fruit than the other 2 teams can."

so i think its safe to say

chicago
phoenix
boston

phoenix is probably the team trying to make the 3 way imo

fordronken

Reaction score
The only way Shawn Marion makes sense for Minnesota is if he is getting moved to a third team in return for young players or draft picks. Otherwise... forget about it.

Joe

You forgot about one factor. The general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves is Kevin McHale. I think the only reason he didn't already trade Garnett and the 7 pick for Wally Szczerbiak and Theo Ratliff is because Fred Hoiberg locked him in a room with a disco ball and McHale is still distracted by all the colors.

fordronken

Reaction score

"a lil birdy told me, ok, 3 lil birdies, that it is 3 teams bidding against each other. One of the teams is trying to work a 3 way deal (ironically with another one of the bidders) because they are hesitant to give up their best piece. But they will give it up if they cant get the 3 way to produce more fruit than the other 2 teams can."

chicago
phoenix
boston

If this is true, then Fred Hoiberg is doing everything (see above post regarding disco ball). The T-Wolves are getting exactly what they want-- a bidding war. My guess is the Suns are trying to convince the Celtics to take Marion for 5/West/Ratliff, and then trying to convince the Wolves to take West/Ratliff/Thomas/#5/Atlanta pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chicago
phoenix
boston

if what you're saying above is true and the Bulls are involvedm they're going to get him somehow. just too many young AND talented pieces that they can put together IMO.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

chicago
phoenix
boston

More from the mod:

Ever hear that Denial was more than a river in egypt?

I have personally spoke to two sources that cite that if a 3 way with Marion does not produce enough fruit to beat Chi/bos that Pho WILL, yes WILL part with Amare for KG. They cite the defense issues, the passing issues, the feud with him and Marion.

No offense. But you are a product of the media that you read, which tries to tell you that Amare is more than just a K.Martin "good with a great pg" athletic power forward. AMare is no where near the player KG is and that is why the people who know, and the people who get paid to know would pull the cord on this trade if they need to.

But Im glad you got a good laugh out of your own insecurities.

Ok I'm officially sick of this thing and am calling b.s. This went from a report saying the deal was done, now there is a bidding war and speculation the suns would part with amare, which would be idiotic.

fordronken

Reaction score
if what you're saying above is true and the Bulls are involvedm they're going to get him somehow. just too many young AND talented pieces that they can put together IMO.

The problem is, for the Bulls to be able to do it, it gets a LOT more complicated. It'll require sign-and-trades, which means it happens after the draft. Plus players will have to be willing to go to Minnesota. It sounds very tough to me unless Kirk Hinrich is involved.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
More from the mod:

Ok I'm officially sick of this thing and am calling b.s. This went from a report saying the deal was done, now there is a bidding war and speculation the suns would part with amare, which would be idiotic.

Also if it comes down to a bidding war, and the suns dont give up amare, they cant beat boston's maybe chicago's offer. Only chance is if kg forces himself to suns. This deal ain't happening.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Haha he seriously wrote that Amare is just Kenyon Martin with a great PG? :p

Didn't Martin play with Kidd too?

geez

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If this is true, then Fred Hoiberg is doing everything (see above post regarding disco ball). The T-Wolves are getting exactly what they want-- a bidding war. My guess is the Suns are trying to convince the Celtics to take Marion for 5/West/Ratliff, and then trying to convince the Wolves to take West/Ratliff/Thomas/#5/Atlanta pick.
I'm guessing the Suns are trying to get Jefferson/#5/fillers for Marion/ATL and then swing that and Barbosa to Minny for KG. Ainge is saying no because he has no frontcourt w/out Jefferson, Kerr's not budging because he doesn't want to lose Stoudemire, and McHale ain't moving because the #5 pick, expiring K's, and mediocrity will not be enough to sell the fans.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if we ended up ponying up amare in this deal and only get KG back it will officially signal to me that... well... i don't know, but i will be FURIOUS. the only way that works is if we somehow get Boston's pick in the draft as well. even then, I still would be pretty damn upset and that certainly ain't happening.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Phoenix could get #5 and Jefferson for Marion they would never trade those 2 pieces with Barbosa for KG EVER.

Seriously, Minnesota has no leverage in this.

Crash

Registered
Reaction score
More from the mod:

Amare isn't going anywhere, Steve Kerr knows that he is the man come playoff time. In any other system Amare's stats would go up for the year, but the run and gun hurts his game. IMO that is why Amare seems to step it up come playoff time. When the Suns are forced to slow it down. Marion on the other hand plays Houdini come playoff time. That is why we are not already champs.

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score

chicago
phoenix
boston

my take on this:

Phoenix - Marion/KT/Atlanta's Pick/maybe another first
Boston - Jefferson/Ratliff/#5
Chicago - Deng/#9/PJ (S&T)

the Wolves want AMARE in the deal.....the suns would rather throw in Marion instead, but the Wolves dont want Marion.
the Wolves want Jefferson from the Celtics, but Boston is reluctant to give him up.
the Wolves dont want to pay PJ $10mil for one season of nothing

so the Suns go to Boston and say "we'll give you Marion so you can keep Jefferson. all you'll have to give up is Ratliff/#5/Gomes or West."

and the suns would probably include Amare in the deal if they could net themselves the #7 pick from the Wolves.

------------

the funny thing though is that this type of story above could EASILY be made up with the knowledge we all have been getting from the media.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the funny thing though is that this type of story above could EASILY be made up with the knowledge we all have been getting from the media.

It's a take on how weak most of the sports media is that we actually considered an internet post as credible as some actual reporters. I mean chad ford hears boston is interested in kg, and makes up his own trade where boston gives up 47 players and reports it as fact.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Chicago deals are way too complicated.

Even if Brown agreed to go to Minnesota for 1 year and 10M$, they would still need about 6 Million more included with Brown and Deng.

Boston isn't giving up #5, Jefferson and Ratliff, not to mention they still need to throw in about 6 Million as well to make salary match.

fordronken

Reaction score
Chicago deals are way too complicated.

Even if Brown agreed to go to Minnesota for 1 year and 10M$, they would still need about 6 Million more included with Brown and Deng.

Boston isn't giving up #5, Jefferson and Ratliff, not to mention they still need to throw in about 6 Million as well to make salary match.

Sign-and-trades require longer than a 1 year deal.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
if three teams are bidding for KG, as I believe there probably are, you're dead wrong.

In the end it comes down to KG and wether he agrees to sign an extension with his new team and waive his trade kicker.

Minnesota isn't in a position to get these teams into a bidding war.

Boston will not give up #5 AND Jefferson plus 20M$ more salary that would be needed.
Chicago deals are way too complicated. They have to make sign and trades that the players have to agree to and then they are still a good way from matching salarys and they won't give up Deng and Gordon.
Phoenix has the most options to match salaries, but we won't give up Amare.

Minnesota, Boston, Phoenix makes sense.

Boston has an easier time acquiring Marion who Ainge wants most likely simply due to salary, Phoenix has an easier time acquiring KG, most likely the team KG wants to go to as well.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Amere isn't going anywhere, Steve Kerr knows that he is the man come playoff time. In any other system Amere's stats would go up for the year, but the run and gun hurts his game. IMO that is why Amere seems to step it up come playoff time. When the Suns are forced to slow it down. Marion on the other hand plays Houdini come playoff time. That is why we are not already champs.

The claim that Marion disappears is just a total myth. In the playoffs, Marion's rebounds per game went up and his scoring as a percentage of the total was up in the Laker series and down only 0.2% from the regular season.

Regular Season - 9.8 rpg
First Round - 10.2 rpg
Second Round - 10.5 rpg

In terms of points

Regular Season - 17.5 ppg
First Round - 18.4 ppg
Second Round - 15.7 ppg

The Suns total offense was:

Regular Season - 110.2 ppg
First Round - 108.4
Second Round - 100.5 ppg

Marion's scoring as a percentage of the total: