Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
why not publicly?
if he does that, i think the wolves will be pressured to trade him just like what VC, iverson, etc. did..

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score

The thing I dont get is he makes it sound like the direct PHX-MIN trade has more of a chance than the 3 way. which makes no sense.

Boston WILL have to gut their team to get garnett, and there are no rumors saying garnett would even be happy going there.

KG and Nash are friends, and boston has expressed interest in marion, not to mention Ainge likes him and phoenix as well. I think boston is more credible as a smoke screen for a 3way than as an actual contender for garnett.

Until I realize im not dreaming and some mediocre deal between boston and minn goes through and we once again get the shaft.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i pity KG if he goes to boston,
but,
atleast he has PP there..
the two of them might do some damage in the EAST.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
why not publicly?
if he does that, i think the wolves will be pressured to trade him just like what VC, iverson, etc. did..

Because thats not like KG. He is a proud and honorable athelete. He has been with the gimpy wolves forever and wanted to be like kirby puckett and stay loyal until he brings a championship to the city.

Except, he has the odds stacked against him with a selfish and stubborn front office who are just milking ticket sales and endorsements instead of keeping their end of the deal

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Except, he has the odds stacked against him with a selfish and stubborn front office who are just milking ticket sales and endorsements instead of keeping their end of the deal

Huh? The Wolves' front office is incompetent, but they aren't stingy. They have one of the larger payrolls in the league. They are already near the luxury tax line for next season ($69.2 million in guaranteed salaries), and that's before adding their draft picks.

They're spending plenty of money.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
After the trade deadline last season, KG was discussing his team's lack of activity, and he said something to the effect of, 'that's what opt-outs are for'. That was the first time he'd threatened to leave, in public at least.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Huh? The Wolves' front office is incompetent, but they aren't stingy. They have one of the larger payrolls in the league. They are already near the luxury tax line for next season ($69.2 million in guaranteed salaries), and that's before adding their draft picks.

They're spending plenty of money.

Where did I call them stingy? Dont put words in my mouth.

I said they were milking ticket sales. Not putting in the effort to pursue the sufficient talent, and being "near" the tax line would be milking ticket sales. Going under cap by more they are now would be a direct insult to KG. In its current form they are milking. Dont you think going over the cap would be a sign that they are trying to hold up their end of the bargain? Theyre spending plenty, but not enough, and definitely not putting in enough effort. And why would they. Garnett drives ticket sales and brings endorsements to the team enough by himself. Why work harder to win more when your gross profit margin is acceptable to its investors?

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
just saw this on FOXSPORTS.COM, date June 20, 2007 - hadn't seen it posted, but apparently more smoke in the air:

http://www.benmaller.com/nba_rumors_notes#145706

"Latest Kevin Garnett trade rumor: The Wolves send the 31-year-old all-star to the Phoenix Suns in a convoluted three-way deal with the Boston Celtics that includes Shawn Marion going to Boston and Minnesota getting the No. 5 pick from the Celtics, plus several young players. The Wolves already have the No. 7 overall pick in the June 28 draft. It's unclear, though, how Garnett's $22 million salary would match up for the deal."

Today Ben Maller's rumors : "Expanded Timberwolves trade rumor: Kevin Garnett to the Phoenix Suns as part of a three-way deal with the Boston Celtics that would bring the Wolves 6-9 Kurt Thomas from Phoenix and 6-10 Theo Ratliff from Boston, both of whom have contracts that expire after next season. The Suns would send forward Shawn Marion to the Celtics, who would send guard Sebastian Telfair to the Wolves. The Wolves would get the Celtics' No. 5 overall pick and the Suns' No. 24 overall pick in next week's NBA draft, and keep their No. 7 overall pick. In addition, the second-round conditional pick they owe Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak deal would be eliminated".

quoting the minneapolis/st paul press : http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_6190206

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Today Ben Maller's rumors : "Expanded Timberwolves trade rumor: Kevin Garnett to the Phoenix Suns as part of a three-way deal with the Boston Celtics that would bring the Wolves 6-9 Kurt Thomas from Phoenix and 6-10 Theo Ratliff from Boston, both of whom have contracts that expire after next season. The Suns would send forward Shawn Marion to the Celtics, who would send guard Sebastian Telfair to the Wolves. The Wolves would get the Celtics' No. 5 overall pick and the Suns' No. 24 overall pick in next week's NBA draft, and keep their No. 7 overall pick. In addition, the second-round conditional pick they owe Boston in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak deal would be eliminated".

quoting the minneapolis/st paul press : http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_6190206
That's interesting, you rarely hear anything about conditional second-round picks in ANY rumor.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd be shocked if Minnesota took a KG deal without getting at least one young asset in return. Marion, KT, and the 24 is a very small price to pay for Garnett. This rumor is probably too good to be true.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
they are getting young assets:

plus several young players
Sebastian Telfair to the Wolves.
I would have assumed a west or gomes instead of telfair, but thats makes sense too i guess

That has us keeping the 29, our 2008, and ATL's 08, which I think is too good to be true.

If we get garnett AND keep ATLs pick I'd make love to a cherry pie on national television.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Where did I call them stingy? Dont put words in my mouth.

I said they were milking ticket sales.

That's a distinction that eludes me, but okay.

Going under cap by more they are now would be a direct insult to KG.

They aren't under the cap. They are way over it. They have easily a top-ten payroll in one of the league's smallest markets.

Dont you think going over the cap would be a sign that they are trying to hold up their end of the bargain?

Yes, I think being near the luxury tax line is an excellent sign that they are holding up their end of the bargain, especially since we are talking about a lottery team.

In terms of spending, what more do you want them to do? They used their MLE last summer on Mike James, and I think they used it the summer before that too. They haven't sold any picks recently. Their trades have usually resulted in taking on more salary, not less.

Why work harder to win more when your gross profit margin is acceptable to its investors?

There is no evidence that they aren't working hard to win. What is clear is that they aren't very good at it.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
That's interesting, you rarely hear anything about conditional second-round picks in ANY rumor.
You seem to forget the infatuated value of second round picks. Trade rumors looks SO much more authentic with it.

They forgot the last touch of authenticity, though : including the rights of overseas draftees. I'm pretty sure Vujanic'd like to play with his old fella Jaric in Minnesota.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You seem to forget the infatuated value of second round picks. Trade rumors looks SO much more authentic with it.

They forgot the last touch of authenticity, though : including the rights of overseas draftees. I'm pretty sure Vujanic'd like to play with his old fella Jaric in Minnesota.

True, but if that were the case, how come you never see CONDITIONAL 2nd round picks in rumors? And it's just an owed one at that.

You have a point that it can be used to hide the fact that it is fake, but that's pretty cynical. ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is interesting. The trade scenario seems a little "detailed" especially with the picks for there not to be some smoke with this trade.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If it doesnt happen today and drags off into next week Im gonna crap on Kerr's doorstep.

asudevil83

Reaction score
IF this trade were to go down.....and we dont have to give up our Atlanta Pick, then i would be extatic.

i'm not even going to get excited yet, as this seems too good to be true. just another rumor.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
There sure is a lot of smoke going on. I am holding back so I dont get too excited.

But I dont see how we DONT have to add the atlanta pick. That for sure will have to be part of the deal.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So we give up KT and Marion for KG

We need bigs

Amare and KG would be good, but if we have pat burke and piakowski backing them up......We need 3-4 good bigs at a minimum. Giving 2 up and getting 1 back when we're already short on them isn't that good and at 29 I don't think we will get a big that would contribute next season.

Again I don't feel we need to trade at all.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I just caught this thought

When does the trade restriction on KT end? Was it after the last game of the Finals, after the draft, or July 1st?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IF this trade were to go down.....and we dont have to give up our Atlanta Pick, then i would be extatic.

i'm not even going to get excited yet, as this seems too good to be true. just another rumor.

Or Barbosa!

Line up:

Nash
Bell
Diaw
KG
Amare

Bench:
Barbs!
Jones
Banks
Ski

Grant Hill and P.J. Brown come on down. You are the next contestants on "Eyes on the Prize"!

Last edited: