Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Well, KT can't be traded until he pick his option, but that's not really a trade restriction, that's plain logic.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some guy just asked Bickley and MJ about the trade on the whine line. Both know absolutely nothing.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, KT can't be traded until he pick his option, but that's not really a trade restriction, that's plain logic.

Oh, right, sorry, forgot about that. I don't know when his option deadline is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Some guy just asked Bickley and MJ about the trade on the whine line. Both know absolutely nothing.

So that can be read that they don't know anything about the trade happening, and the don't know anything about the trade NOT happening.

Semantics sucks. ;)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So that can be read that they don't know anything about the trade happening, and the don't know anything about the trade NOT happening.

Semantics sucks. ;)

Not saying one or the other. Just saying that they no nothing.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
But I dont see how we DONT have to add the atlanta pick. That for sure will have to be part of the deal.
This is how I look at it:

2007 Kevin Garnett > 2004 Tracy McGrady

2007 Marion = 2004 Marion
2007 Barbosa = 2004 Joe Johnson (with contracts thrown into consideration)
Atlanta's pick in 2008 < 7th overall pick in 2004

To make this trade happen, the Atlanta pick obviously has to go in, and a bunch of other small assets probably get thrown in as well. Where the Suns are trying to hold the line is Barbosa, just as they held the line with Joe Johnson in 2004.

And, of course, if KG is willing to go to Boston and re-sign there, the Suns have no chance to get him. :shrug:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'm not sure I quite agree with that. Garnett is a better player and is more durable, but McGrady's contract was better and he was younger.

Also, Marion+Johnson+high pick was a ripoff for McGrady and I doubt the Suns ever seriously considered it.

I like Barbosa, but if he's the price for upgrading Marion to Garnett, that's the way it goes.

asudevil83

Reaction score
This is how I look at it:

2007 Marion = 2004 Marion
2007 Barbosa = 2004 Joe Johnson (with contracts thrown into consideration)
Atlanta's pick in 2008 < 7th overall pick in 2004

To make this trade happen, the Atlanta pick obviously has to go in, and a bunch of other small assets probably get thrown in as well. Where the Suns are trying to hold the line is Barbosa, just as they held the line with Joe Johnson in 2004.

And, of course, if KG is willing to go to Boston and re-sign there, the Suns have no chance to get him. :shrug:

2007 Garnett - 31 years old making $22mil
2004 McGrady - 25 years old making $16.5mil

HUGE difference

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 Garnett - 31 years old making $22mil
2004 McGrady - 25 years old making $16.5mil

HUGE difference

Sorry but if your team salary is a consideration then I take McGrady without hesitation. Better contract and lots of talent.

Then again if Salary wasn't a consideration, I just find a way to get them both on my team. :D

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In Boston they are now saying it will be Wally instead of Ratliff.

Wally, Scalabrine, Telfair, Jefferson and #5 for Garnett.

No way Minnesota would touch that. Jefferson is getting a max extension this offseason or near max, and they have to sign 2 lottery picks plus a lottery pick in 2008. None of the contract expires in 2008 except Teflair I think. Minnesota would take on roughly 20M$ in payroll for 2008-2009.

They would be at ~80M$ payroll if they let Ricky Davis, Sebastian Telfair and Craig Smith go for nothing.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score

I'm not sure I quite agree with that.
From what I remember, the concern about McGrady's back at the time was intense. McGrady has actually been significantly more durable than a lot of people predicted.

Also, as you say, Garnett is the better player, and since bigs are generally worth more than smalls...

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From what I remember, the concern about McGrady's back at the time was intense. McGrady has actually been significantly more durable than a lot of people predicted.

I'm not sure I'd agree. 2005-06 he played only 47 games. He played 71 games this year, but did not seem to be 100%. He scored 24.6 ppg, but shot only 43.1% and 33.1% for three.

T-Mac's stats before he started having back problems were a lot more impressive. He's still a great talent, but for a variety of reasons IMHO has become something of a volume scorer.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure which of the billion threads I should post this but:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2912075

If the Minnesota Timberwolves are listening to offers for Kevin Garnett, the player is trying to make their job easier.

Forget Boston, is the word from the star center.

Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that Garnett made it known to the Wolves and Celtics late Wednesday that he had no interest in playing for Boston. The implication was clear: If Minnesota dealt him to Boston, Garnett would opt out of his contract next summer.

"The Boston trade isn't happening," Miller told Sheridan on Thursday. "If a trade were to happen, that's not a destination that we're interested in pursuing."

Asked where Garnett would prefer to be dealt, Miller replied: "Too early. Ask me in two days."

Garnett has "a good handle on the possibility of being traded," Miller said. "Kevin is an extremely loyal person, and loyalty is not a common factor among pro athletes, but in this situation he understands he has to put his long-term considerations ahead of the Minnesota Timberwolves' long-term considerations."

Kevin McHale, the Timberwolves' vice president of basketball operations, has been pressed of late on Minnesota-Boston discussions over Garnett following Danny Ainge's admission to The Boston Herald that he has talked to McHale about Garnett.

"Who knows what's going to happen?" McHale told reporters Wednesday after the Wolves worked out college stars Jeff Green and Al Horford in preparation for the draft. "But we're not out there actively shopping Kevin Garnett around the NBA. I can tell you that much."

Because Garnett can opt out of his contract after next season, the Timberwolves run the risk of losing him without compensation if they don't trade him before then and he tires of not playing on a competitive team. That has ramped up speculation that he could be on the move, and the possible destinations are popping up all over the place as they always do this time of year.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
ill start from the top
-friday june 15
friday night kg is notified of a preleminary trade agreement with phx for stoudamire and phx pick from atl and is asked if he will waive his opt out clause which he agrees to do
-mon jun 18th
kg agent speaks with phx to confirm details and to express his clients' willingness to play there
-tues june 19th
in the mounring paperwork on trade to phx for amare starts..phx however is trying to change deal to involve boston. so that they would send marion and thier picks to boston and boston would send the twolves all them players and their pick.
this is halted because marion whos contract expires next year tells boston he doesnt want to play for them and wont past next season
-wednesday jun 20th
unknown to kg, kevin mchale and danny ainge work out a deal not involving phx. late wednesday night kg's agent gets wind of deal which infuriates kg being that he never told the wolves he would go to boston and doesnt like mchale telling him hes goin to phx and then goin behind his back to make a deal wit boston.
thursday jun21th
kg tell media he doesnt want to go to boston which nix's this deal cuz boston wont take him unless waives his opt out clause.

now phx has agreed to give wolves amare but they have asked for time to try involve another team to get the wolves a better package (like the one boston was gonna give)
this is because phx would like to get something for marion who they konw that wont be resigning next year

which means that the suns are trying to find a team marion would be willing to sign to long term to who will agrre to send the twolves players and picks. They have untill the draft to do this and if they dont find a team they will send the wolves amare..

basically kg is goin to phx for amare unless phx can find another team to get rid of marion so they dont have to give up amare.

now as far as why kg wants to go to phx over boston is that 1 he and nash are mad cool and he thinks he can win a championship there...secondly kg doesnt want to play in in large market like boston or l.a. he doesnt want to have to deal with all the media like that and prefers phoenix smaller market feel ...similar to mn.

this is all fact!
let the hate begin

Ok , I might stop believing this guy.

I am sure the Amare stuff is made up, no way we would first give up Amare and Atlantas pick and then we change it to Marion and Minnesota would still do it..

There is zero chance the Suns offered Amare and Atlantas pick for KG..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am sure the Amare stuff is made up, no way we would first give up Amare and Atlantas pick and then we change it to Marion and Minnesota would still do it..

i can't believe a word of this either. It makes the Suns look like the biggest retards in the entire world.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

i think maybe amare for kg and mn's pick is more like it:D

but i dont think that trade he said was too far fetch'd. Kg is an ex-mvp, amare is still a rising star who may or may not be plagued with injury

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
i can't believe a word of this either. It makes the Suns look like the biggest retards in the entire world.

And Minnesota would be even worse, considering they were supposedly offered Amare and Atlantas pick and are now waiting for the Suns to find a taker for Marion so they can trade KG for less than Phoenix supposedly offered in the first place..

cly2tw

Reaction score

And that wouldn't make sense with the resulting team. KG/KT/Marion/Bell/Nash with Diaw/LB will have even more problem with the Spurs.

Edit: To make salaries match, KT has to go in the trade too. Ugh!

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Well if this is true, which I'm very skeptical, then again dude did start this way back on saturday.

Either:

1) kerr is a genius who dangled amare to get kg determined to come to phx, then pulled amare back
OR
2) kerr and d'antoni (because I'm sure mike is the one saying we can win without amare) will be run out of town on the first thing moving

We will see..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think maybe amare for kg and mn's pick is more like it:D

but i dont think that trade he said was too far fetch'd. Kg is an ex-mvp, amare is still a rising star who may or may not be plagued with injury

kg is 3 full years removed from an MVP. Amare Stoudemire was first-team ALL-NBA C in his first year back from what should have been career devastating surgery. The MVP argument lives in the past, we're in the present. Amare is more valuable right now than KG. When this trade doesn't happen, that will be the iron clad proof.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
ill start from the top
-friday june 15
friday night kg is notified of a preleminary trade agreement with phx for stoudamire and phx pick from atl and is asked if he will waive his opt out clause which he agrees to do

etc.

This 15-year-old kid is having the time of his life. Convincing the world that Garnett is about to be traded is even more enticing than his old stack of Playboys.

Crash

Registered
Reaction score
kg is 3 full years removed from an MVP. Amare Stoudemire was first-team ALL-NBA C in his first year back from what should have been career devastating surgery. The MVP argument lives in the past, we're in the present. Amare is more valuable right now than KG. When this trade doesn't happen, that will be the iron clad proof.

Amare 1st team all NBA 24 years old

KG 2nd team all NBA 31 years old.

No thanks on that trade! lol