Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Amare, but do you think the Suns front office would move him if they didn't absolutely believe they had to? That doesn't mean to aquire another player, but because of his 'tude. I hope there's no truth to any rumor including him, but if he goes.. it's to get rid of him, not to bring another player in that's the motivation IMO.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if you read the original post it says "former/current player" which leads me to believe its a current player that used to play for the twolves.. so who is that? billups never played for the twovles did he?

im about 90% sure he did.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would the Celtics trade their curent #5 pick in a very deep draft for a chance at a handful of mid firsts next year?

no idea.. all I am saying is the only way I would trade Amare, is if we got KG, and two top 10 picks in THIS years draft.. and we got to get rid of Banks' salary..

I took a shot of what a deal COULD look like, but my point was only to say Amare's price tage better be more than a 31 year old and the #7 pick... Even if that 31 year old is Garnett....

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. I don't believe Garnett can be obtained without giving up Amare.
2. The above scenario will not make us better next season, and it will hurt in the long run. Amare is 24, Garnett is 31.
3. The above scenario would be a dream trade for TWolves. They cannot realistically get a player better than Amare in exchange for Garnett.

Garnett can make us better, but only if we get to keep Nash and Amare. I would not make this move otherwise, unless Amare wants to be traded.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
We need to cease the amare trade talks, even in speculation, its a moot point, because it will never happen this year.

Kerr will not be trading Amare, or even discussing it.

Joewhiz

Reaction score
Being a former michigander and piston fan I would just like to let all of you suns fan know that you want nothing to do with SHEED he is a joke and will only kill your/our team.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare for KG won't happen because it's a cap nightmare. The Suns would also have to unload Thomas or Diaw to make it work under the cap.

So the deal, as reported, would remove one starter, one key rotation player, while making it more difficult to expand roster depth. That doesn't make the Suns better, and I don't care if Nash and KG combined for No. 1 and No. 2 in MVP voting. It doesn't make the Suns better and it exacerbates the cap problem.

Don't believe any of the Amare trade hype. The only way trading Amare makes sense is for the rights to draft Oden. They won't trade Amare to dump salary. If they wanted to do that, they'd give Marion away for a song already, and Marion presents a great deal more cap help than Amare (to the tune of $4.5 million a year -- x 2 in cap tax dollars).

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Being a former michigander and piston fan I would just like to let all of you suns fan know that you want nothing to do with SHEED he is a joke and will only kill your/our team.

Theres like 2 detroit threads on this forum where that comment may have made much more sense.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ahh i'm new to this site give me a break ok

Go up to the trades subsection.

I realize this is confusing. For reasons I can't figure out, the Kobe and KG stuff is down on the main board rather than the trades section.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With the way the KG stuff just broke, is it being discussed on the radio in Phoenix? Seems strange to have nobody say anything about even Gambo talking about this.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With the way the KG stuff just broke, is it being discussed on the radio in Phoenix? Seems strange to have nobody say anything about even Gambo talking about this.

They talked about kobe and kg. Nothing new, basically rehashing of si column etc..., they had no extra insight, but whats new.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gambo said today on the afternoon show that there was zero chance that either Kobe or KG was coming here and it was basically a pipe dream.

Nor does he believe the Suns will trade Marion.

He thinks Banks + #24 are gone. The Suns give 1 year deals to PJ Brown and Grant Hill and that is the off season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They talked about kobe and kg. Nothing new, basically rehashing of si column etc..., they had no extra insight, but whats new.

No they talked in depth about why neither of those players are coming here.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Amare for KG won't happen because it's a cap nightmare. The Suns would also have to unload Thomas or Diaw to make it work under the cap.

To further prove this point.

Currently under contract:
KG: 25 (22 + est. 3 trade kicker)
Marion: 16.44
Nash: 11.375
Diaw: 9
Barbosa: 5.6
Bell: 4.75
Banks: 3.888
Jones: 2.904

Total salary of 8 above: 78.957 million

Bench
Pike: 1.22
#24: .87
#29: .78
FA (Hill): 2
FA (Diener): 1
Total: 5.87

Total team salary: 84.827

Luxury tax (assuming tax line is at 68 million): 16.827

Total Team Payroll: 101.65 million

There is no chance in hell Sarver would pay that so you would then be looking at a Shawn Marion salary dump which would effectively make this a Marion/Amare/KT for KG :thud:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pretty much sums up what Gambo said above. He said the Suns aren't looking to add payroll and any trade that included Garnett does just that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pretty much sums up what Gambo said above. He said the Suns aren't looking to add payroll and any trade that included Garnett does just that.

this is the same GGambo who once proclaimed that the Suns were going to get Kobe AND T-Mac during the 2004 offseason, right? me thinks anything he says should be taken with a BAG of salt, one way or the other.

that being said, Id be beyond shocked if we were able to pull off either of these deals a) because we're in the same division as Kobe and b) because Garnett alongside Nash, Amare, me and Ouchie wouldbe guaranteed to win the next two NBA titles and that's just too good to be true.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
If we trade Amare for KG than I am not a fan. I guarantee there is a way to package Marion,Barbosa, and everyday draft pick we have for either Kobe or KG. I don't care if we give up picks for a long time because we could then have the cap space a few years down the road to get the Melo/LeBron/Wade generation.

DON'T TRADE AMARE....

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Gambo is actually totally clueless about stuff like that. A KG trade for example wouldn't really add to the payroll.

Sure Gambo thinks that the extension Garnett will get will start at the same money he already is making right now while Garnett will obviously whereever he goes take a considerable paycut in his extension.

Nevermind if you stay at the same payroll you are already at and replace Marion with Garnett, you are obviously going to increase ticket sales and whatever..

Considering the volume of this trade (the 125% rule) the Suns could also give up more salary than they take back.

Example: (works under the cap)

Marion, Diaw, Barbosa (~31M$)

for Garnett (22M$) not considering trade kickers which I believe Garnett could waive anyway. Now even if you threw in Garnetts trade kicker however high it is, the Suns still save a TON of money.

The Suns would save 9M$ right away next season. Then you sign Garnett for an extension 4 years/60M$ that would start 2008-2009 and Thomas expires, shaving another 16M$ off of the cap.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is actually totally clueless about stuff like that. A KG trade for example wouldn't really add to the payroll.

Sure Gambo thinks that the extension Garnett will get will start at the same money he already is making right now while Garnett will obviously whereever he goes take a considerable paycut in his extension.

how considerable a pay cut though? You positted a somewhat naive number of 5 years for 60 million, which I believe is just laughable. He'll easy get a contract from whatever team he lands on that hovers between 17-20 mil/season. To think one of the best players in the game (still and with no signs of slowing down and in impecable shape) would get a 12 million dollar deal just doesn't hold much water IMO. That's basically the same deal that Ben Wallace got last year, at a similar age and he's pretty much half or sixty percent the player Garnett is. At a MINIMUM his next contract averages 16.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Is it against the CBA for KG to void his remaining contract altogether as part of a s&t at, say, 5yrs/$80M effective immediately? The money's essentially the same as if he signed an extension next year at 4yrs/$60M, but it gives us an immediately good cap number ($16M vs. $25M)....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it against the CBA for KG to void his remaining contract altogether as part of a s&t at, say, 5yrs/$80M effective immediately? The money's essentially the same as if he signed an extension next year at 4yrs/$60M, but it gives us an immediately good cap number ($16M vs. $25M)....

i don't think you can do that and 4/60 isn't enough. Again, if you want to look at a contract for a guy at a similar age who was a big FA, look backto last summer when Ben Wallace got 4 years for 50 million. That's 12.25 per year for a guy who has half of a basketball game, as opposed to KG, who has the complete game and will be roughly the same age that Ben was when Ben signed. KG is easily worth another 5, if not 6 million more on that deal, according to the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05