Murray to Sit

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone whose position and role are already locked in shouldn’t see the field at all in preseason.
I’m not sure where Patty Mahommes fits into that but apparently he will play in tonight’s first preseason game. But what would KC know about being successful. Lol
Also reported this morning that Trevor Lawrence, Burrow and Jordan Love will see playing time today.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I guess the first few games will be of preseason quality. I’m not a fan of this strategy…
This is the way. The Jets beat the bills by 1 point in week 1 last year.

People should notice that no one is saying Gannon is stupid for playing Harrison. I’m not an expert; I just think criticizing coaches for playing/not playing vets in the preseason is silly.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I’m not sure where Patty Mahommes fits into that but apparently he will play in tonight’s first preseason game. But what would KC know about being successful. Lol
Also reported this morning that Trevor Lawrence, Burrow and Jordan Love will see playing time today.

Just when you think that Murray has matured, he pulls a stunt like this. Is he the only healthy QB in the league not taking any snaps in Preseason?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Don't care.

Playing established players in meaningless exhibitions is dumb.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the way. The Jets beat the bills by 1 point in week 1 last year.

People should notice that no one is saying Gannon is stupid for playing Harrison. I’m not an expert; I just think criticizing coaches for playing/not playing vets in the preseason is silly.

I will chime in here...

Harrison shouldn't be playing either.

Preseason football, in its entirety, is stupid.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just when you think that Murray has matured, he pulls a stunt like this. Is he the only healthy QB in the league not taking any snaps in Preseason?
Healthy QBs that didn't play
Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield
Brock Prudy
Geno Smith
Justin Herbert
Aaron Rodgers
Desbaun Watson
Jared Goff
Bryce Young

I stopped looking after 14 games.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do those teams have in common?

Better records than this team
Carolina had the worst record last year, Seattle is predicted to finish last in the division, the Jets and Chargers were right there with us. And again, I did look at every games. 9 of 28, that a third of QBs not playing.

I'll trust JG over anyone in this board.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I remember 1972 browns preseason, they played to be ready for game one in a 12 game season. 1/4 of the schedule was preseason, 3/4 of a season was regular season, Super Bowl winners played an additional 1/4 and was fresh and top of their game. the first is as important as the last, sometimes even more important!

I remember Murray’s great 7-0 start and also remember slow starts to a season, not clicking until game 4 of a 16 game season.

I remember browns facing the undefeated dolphins with their back up earl Morrell. Bob Griese was hurt during the playoffs. But the Dolphins run game quality was spectacular and went undefeated.

Morrell also started for the colts years earlier in the greatest game of the all time, then old veteran John Unitis came in and came up short trying to rally a come back.

I believe in 4 preseason games and sitting starters after they prove they are ready to go. I also believe 12 game season would provide the highest quality football, less injuries and season fatigue.

I mean the marathon of 23 games to the Super Bowl now is a grind, and pushes players past their prime physical ability, and more injuries.
But that’s just one fans experience over 50 years,

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All games now (Current teams previous record)
Dax Prescott (12-5)
Sam Bradford (10-7)
Tua Tagovailoa (11-6)
Kirk Cousins (7-10)
Jalen Hurts (11-6)
Kyler Murray (4-13)
Baker Mayfield (9-8)
Brock Prudy (12-5)
Geno Smith (9-8)
Justin Herbert (5-12)
Aaron Rodgers (7-10)
Deshaun Watson (11-6)
Jared Goff (12-5)
Bryce Young (2-15)
Lamar Jackson (13-4)
Russell Wilson (8-9)

16 of 32 (50%) not playing this weekend. 5 teams with losing records, so 31% of the teams not playing their starter had a losing record.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will chime in here...

Harrison shouldn't be playing either.

Preseason football, in its entirety, is stupid.
I mostly agree, but I liked JG’s explanation as to why MHJ played. He just wanted Marvin to get into the rhythm of preparing for an NFL game. We were never going to throw him the ball. We ran it 3 times, and then Marvin went to the bench. This team is finally being run by a great GM & HC.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Some of you people complain to complain. Get a life! I was at the game and it was like watching a practice. It was so boring. I’m totally fine with them getting rid of all preseason games because the only thing that comes out of them is to identify who your 45-53 players are.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of you people complain to complain. Get a life! I was at the game and it was like watching a practice. It was so boring. I’m totally fine with them getting rid of all preseason games because the only thing that comes out of them is to identify who your 45-53 players are.
Agree 100%. We go so long without football, that we can’t wait to even watch a preseason game. 5 minutes into the game, I’m turning the channel
to watch an old episode of Dateline

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
MHJ just basically stood on the field because the qb couldn't complete a pass and the Oline 2nd team couldn't hold up very well. He might have actually caught a pass if there was any semblance of sustaining a drive. Expect rust for Murray. These guys don't practice enough in today's pro ball. It also isn't a bode of confidence for the Oline with the coaching staff benching Murray for the PS. They were probably like I'm not getting my quarterback killed out there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MHJ just basically stood on the field because the qb couldn't complete a pass and the Oline 2nd team couldn't hold up very well. He might have actually caught a pass if there was any semblance of sustaining a drive. Expect rust for Murray. These guys don't practice enough in today's pro ball. It also isn't a bode of confidence for the Oline with the coaching staff benching Murray for the PS. They were probably like I'm not getting my quarterback killed out there.
MHJ was never going to get a pass thrown to him. He was out on the field for FOUR PLAYS.

Huge Old Man Yells at Cloud energy.

Bills gonna own us in Week 1, because Josh Allen played 8 snaps against Chicago.