Official - Texans Sign Leinart

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
After all the speculation one way or another, when the rubber meets the road, this is the most telling fact. When you're passed over for Zac Robinson by your former coach , and Dan Orvlovsky even with the pleading of Carson, that's all you need to know.
So by this rationale, Carson likes Leinart better than his own brother. Right?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:mulli:

Look - I simply refuse to accept the backlash from many of you who are so quick to belittle the impact Whiz has had on what has transpired here since he took over. Where were all of these "Whiz isn't a good QB coach", "Whiz has been lucky" comments prior to Matty's departure? Just ridiculous... And again - IMHO, it really makes me question the validity of the fanbase. I have never seen fans turn on the one guy, their coach, who has pulled them out of the cesspool within which this franchise has dwelled since coming to the valley, anywhere else in my life. I mean, I could understand if the guy was some sort of Buddy Ryan type... maybe even a Parcells...

Hey, if this team does in fact take a major step backward, say... puts up 5-6 wins this year and another 5-6 in 2011, I might be right here with you. However, I don't see that happening and IMHO, Whiz himself has already done enough to prove that this team will not fall back to the basement again...

That's a head scratcher, since I think we are still an 8-8 to 9-7 team regardless of the QB. And that's even thinking DA is a disaster. That's solely based on the quality coach that CKW is. I don't expect this team to see a 10 loss season under CKW, ever. He's that good. So you'd never be "right there with me" because I'm not there.

But now you are spinning that CKW was the guy that made KW (he wasn't) and that our entire fanbase, CKW included, weren't a bit lucky that the stars aligned in Kurt climbing out of the grave (we were). You are spinning too hard to compensate for attacks on CKW, and giving him FAR too much credit for things that aren't due him. No, you aren't flat out oblivious to the real world, like THESMEL, but trying to say Whis and not Haley was the most important factor in Kurt's resurgence is pretty much not based in reality...and you are arguing this with KW fanboys. You are taking people's comments out of context (catching lightning in a bottle with KW = CKW sucks and needs luck to win, etc). It's just silly.

CKW doesn't need defending with the vehemence you are bringing, because he really hasn't done anything worthy of criticism.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Perfect!

hastheball.gif

I really hope i am wrong.I have no confidence in Anderson and many rookies have dazzled ineseason and totally flopped when the games are real.Plus the defense hasn`t shown the fact that they can play the whole game and not let the other team come back.Thats why i am not jumping up and down for this season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's a head scratcher, since I think we are still an 8-8 to 9-7 team regardless of the QB. And that's even thinking DA is a disaster. That's solely based on the quality coach that CKW is. I don't expect this team to see a 10 loss season under CKW, ever. He's that good. So you'd never be "right there with me" because I'm not there.

But now you are spinning that CKW was the guy that made KW (he wasn't) and that our entire fanbase, CKW included, weren't a bit lucky that the stars aligned in Kurt climbing out of the grave (we were). You are spinning too hard to compensate for attacks on CKW, and giving him FAR too much credit for things that aren't due him. No, you aren't flat out oblivious to the real world, like THESMEL, but trying to say Whis and not Haley was the most important factor in Kurt's resurgence is pretty much not based in reality...and you are arguing this with KW fanboys. You are taking people's comments out of context (catching lightning in a bottle with KW = CKW sucks and needs luck to win, etc). It's just silly.

CKW doesn't need defending with the vehemence you are bringing, because he really hasn't done anything worthy of criticism.

Donald - I never uttered those words as I don't believe CKW "made" Kurt Warner. What I believe is that Kurt was very fortunate to land on a team that was coached by a guy like CKW, who was smart enough and EGO-less enough to allow Warner to be the QB he knew the team would mesh best with. Kurt took it from there and cemented his HOF status. But IMO, it's not at all a stretch to suggest that had Denny remained as coach, or, if any one of a number of other coaches had replaced Denny, Kurt's ability to perform at the levels he did under Whiz would have been dramatically lowered.
As for the defense of Whiz - well, unless I am in some sort of parallel universe and really hanging with THESMEL, I have seen loads of criticism launched at Whiz on this board. Some of which not at all directed at the Matty situation, but, remarkably, now all is fair game and suddenly Whiz is just lucky, hasn't proven anything and is a poor QB coach...

Time will tell... but man, seeing fans turn on a guy like Whiz si simply shocking.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

This is too stupid to even respond to. Please explain how on earth you came to that conclusion, I'm dying to figure it out.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald - I never uttered those words as I don't believe CKW "made" Kurt Warner. What I believe is that Kurt was very fortunate to land on a team that was coached by a guy like CKW, who was smart enough and EGO-less enough to allow Warner to be the QB he knew the team would mesh best with. Kurt took it from there and cemented his HOF status. But IMO, it's not at all a stretch to suggest that had Denny remained as coach, or, if any one of a number of other coaches had replaced Denny, Kurt's ability to perform at the levels he did under Whiz would have been dramatically lowered.

That's why Shane was your compatriot there - he's suggesting that Whis was responsible. I'm lumping you two together, so there. :)

As for the defense of Whiz - well, unless I am in some sort of parallel universe and really hanging with THESMEL, I have seen loads of criticism launched at Whiz on this board. Some of which not at all directed at the Matty situation, but, remarkably, now all is fair game and suddenly Whiz is just lucky, hasn't proven anything and is a poor QB coach...

Time will tell... but man, seeing fans turn on a guy like Whiz si simply shocking.

I don't think you are seeing as much criticism as you think you are - the vast majority of the posters are firmly in CKW's corner, even if they might not agree with the moves he makes. Such is the nature of being a fan. There are some outliers, sure, but like THESMEL, those who are ragingly anti-whis or ragingly pro-leinart are the minority (even if they post a lot about it). No real need to bang your head against the wall.

Let's sit back, watch DA hopefully be much better than expected and wait for Max Hall to prepare to dazzle us or depress us, whichever he ends up doing. CKW has more than proved his mettle out there.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There are some outliers, sure, but like THESMEL, those who are ragingly anti-whis or ragingly pro-leinart are the minority (even if they post a lot about it). No real need to bang your head against the wall.

Let's sit back, watch DA hopefully be much better than expected and wait for Max Hall to prepare to dazzle us or depress us, whichever he ends up doing. CKW has more than proved his mettle out there.

Well said.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I think it means that he likes Leinart as the #3 better than the rookie 6th round pick who was already cut this preseason and claimed off the waiver wire.

Jordan Palmer will be the Bengals #2.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I support Whiz, I'm putting that out front, but I would like those that use Carroll not wanting Leinart as a QB as evidence of his ineptitude ,please explain why the Steelers passing on Whiz is not evidence of some underlying problem with his methods or coaching ability.

Maybe the Steelers chose Tomlin because he was better suited to work with Rothlisberger.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think it means that he likes Leinart as the #3 better than the rookie 6th round pick who was already cut this preseason and claimed off the waiver wire.

Jordan Palmer will be the Bengals #2.

You must be registered for see images attach

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Donald this is 2010. We're playing in the NPL, National Passing League. If DA is a disaster we can very easily go 5-11. We're not the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh baloney. Whis benched him and had to play him because Leinart got hurt. It was Whis' offense that the Cardinals wisely abandoned and Warner went out and put up 27 TD's with a bionic arm.

Whis didn't take on Warner as a reclamation project he inherited him. He didn't fix Warner, the gloves allowed him to once again take snaps and hand the ball off without fumbling.

Whis is a hard-nosed, disciplinarian and from what he's done a pretty darned good HC overall. But his QB relations pretty much suck. Let's see where this conversation is after Anderson continues to turn the ball over in the regular season.

okay, you're right, the HC/OC didn't turn around a left for dead washed up QB and put him in a position to play HOF football or lead a rookie to a 15-1 record and then a Super Bowl.

Overwhelming evidence shows he's worked with 3 QBs... and 2 of the 3 of them played great football with him, both at the end and beginnings of careers.

the above is laughable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're saying Whis was being held back in Pittsburgh and really wanted Roethlisberger to throw the ball 600+ times per year rather than the sub 300 times that Whis himself called as the OC?

Or that the run heavy, Edge first approach that Whis took in '07 and again in '08 even after the 8-3, 27 TD effort by Warner and the offense in '07 wasn't Whis' actual offense?

good OC/HC ADJUST according to their players strengths.

this argument is beyond silly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
okay, you're right, the HC/OC didn't turn around a left for dead washed up QB and put him in a position to play HOF football or lead a rookie to a 15-1 record and then a Super Bowl.

Overwhelming evidence shows he's worked with 3 QBs... and 2 of the 3 of them played great football with him, both at the end and beginnings of careers.

the above is laughable.

Was Warner really washed up? How washed up was he if he comes in after 11 weeks on the bench and in the last two games of the 2006 season goes 31-45 for 461 yards?

But CKW taught the perennial losers how to win. QBs, TEs, WRs, DBs... everybody. And we owe him for that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many W's does Whiz need to put up this season in order to remove the "luck" tag??

He's a damn good coach. But, what happened with Warner was something no one could see coming. The luckiest SOBs I've ever seen in the NFL were Tom Landry and Roger Staubach. Doesn't mean they weren't a great coach and a great QB.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's in reference to the year under CKW without Haley - that's when Kurt practically coached himself.

And Haley took over playcalling in the second half of Whis' first year, correlating with the rise of Kurt. Then throughout the super bowl year. But it is less about calling the plays and more about coaching the player - Haley was Kurt's coach, flat out and no bones about it.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/01/28/20090128sb-haleywarner0129.html

Physical turnaround as a player? The gloves were something he did on his own. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/inside-the-nfl-kurt-warners-gloves/hc01f12

Warner came into 2008 training camp in fantastic shape, thanks to John Lott, who wanted him to drop 10-15 lbs.

All of that reflects greatly on CKW, yes, but he was a chemist on that one..putting the right ingredients into the beaker, turning on the heat and watching it work the way he hoped it would. But it is a stretch to say that the reason Kurt turned his career around was because of CKW when it was common knowledge that Kurt & Haley were perfect for each other. CKW was the matchmaker, I guess.

As a measure of where he worked more, Ben was CKW's project and he excelled there.

Ok what year was there that Whiz had KW under him without Haley? I'm pretty certain they have been together the whole time?

Your article reference Haley and Warner basically states the same thing I said. They were on the same page in relation to how the offense was run and plays that were called. They were in tune with each other and would constantly talk about it. Which is a good thing considering they are the QB and OC. I really at that point in time find it highly unlikely that Haley was actually "coaching" him in the true sense of the word. Not anymore than Whiz would have or could have.

Warner absolutely got into better shape at the direction of John Lott. I don't deny that. He also started wearing gloves. But as another poster in here has pointed out I don't believe the gloves are the reason for the fumbling going away.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2296891&postcount=65

The stats tend to back it up. It make s a lot of sense IMO.

I think that the HC needs to be given credit where it is due in all aspects. To say he just got lucky with Warner and had nothing to do with it is hugely naive. But we can just agree to disagree.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we got the worse of this deal, when live bullets fly week 1. Matt never picked the easy team, Shaub will be a challenge to beat out for the starting job.

I think Matt is better but not as experienced. that field leadership and chemistry has to happen on the field, not on the bench. I think our team is to drunk on their own kool aid, can afford to throw top talent down the drain.

one fans opinion.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13891873/agent-confirms-leinarts-oneyear-deal-with-texans

HOUSTON -- Matt Leinart has agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Texans, according to agent Tom Condon.
Leinart was cut by Arizona on Saturday. Condon confirmed in a phone interview with the Associated Press on Monday that Leinart had reached a deal with the Texans.
SOOOO Leinart would have a hard time beating out Schaub, who has taken his team nowhere and has a history of injuries, but would have no problem beating out the two time Super Bowl Champion Ben Roethlisberger? Yeah, ok thesmel.

ps Schaub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leinart.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok what year was there that Whiz had KW under him without Haley? I'm pretty certain they have been together the whole time?

Last year.

I think that the HC needs to be given credit where it is due in all aspects. To say he just got lucky with Warner and had nothing to do with it is hugely naive. But we can just agree to disagree.

Yes, giving the credit that is due. And he didn't have "nothing to do with it." But I would never point to Kurt as an example of CKW being a great QB coach. He simply didn't have that much impact there. BR, absolutely that's a feather in CKW's cap. Max Hall may turn out to be. I also wouldn't hold ML up as a failure of CKW, for that matter - wasn't his guy and never got his system.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wah. You have a tougher skin than that.

And I'm being hyperbolic, not spiteful.

My skin is fine don't ever worry about that. ;)

Still gives some WOW. To compare the two of us to him or it or whatever that poster is.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
But I would never point to Kurt as an example of CKW being a great QB coach.

It's not about being a "great QB coach." It's being a great manager of talent, coaching and player-wise, since you're willing to at least give Haley some credit. If it was all about Kurt, are you trying to tell me that Eli Manning is a better QB/person/player than Kurt? Oh, and how's Haley doing with his USC quarterback? Huh?

I swear to God. I have never seen so many people seriously defend a lazy, self-entitled, pretty-boy, "Hollywood" brat against a hard-working, hard-thinking engineer in my life.

Ridiculous comes to mind.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's not about being a "great QB coach." It's being a great manager of talent, coaching and player-wise, since you're willing to at least give Haley some credit. If it was all about Kurt, are you trying to tell me that Eli Manning is a better QB/person/player than Kurt? Oh, and how's Haley doing with his USC quarterback? Huh?

I swear to God. I have never seen so many people seriously defend a lazy, self-entitled, pretty-boy, "Hollywood" brat against a hard-working, hard-thinking engineer in my life.

Ridiculous comes to mind.

:notworthy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05