Philip Rivers

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
WOW!!! Rivers played lights-out, and there is NO DOUBT...his release is not a problem.

Only one problem, and it's going to break a few hearts on here...anyone who thinks we'll get him in the 2nd round is INSANE. Unless Losman does just as well, Rivers is going to be the 3rd QB taken, and it will be in the first round. My guess is he doesn't make it past 11. Losman will likely be gone in the 1st round as well.

So, IF we want a top-flight QB this year, we better take Eli or Ben if either of them are available!!!

Still, I can dream, can't I? Taylor AND Rivers!!! Like I said, ain't gonna happen, but I can dream!

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout, I'm with you on Rivers.

What touch! What quick reads! All combined with a 72% completion rate. Rivers blew me away.

Joe Theisman had a lower release than Rivers and he won a Super Bowl.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, you've got to admire a guy who sees his moment to star and grabs it by the throat.

Philip Rivers can play. Maybe for us. Right now, I'd have a tough time choosing between Manning, Ben, and Rivers. Maybe trade down and get Rivers later in round 1.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rivers is legit. A lot of teams are looking at him. The Steelers and Buffalo for eg. He will be gone before the Cards pick again. A lot of scouts like Rivers.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Philip Rivers can play. Maybe for us. Right now, I'd have a tough time choosing between Manning, Ben, and Rivers. Maybe trade down and get Rivers later in round 1.

No way. We trade down too far, last year might happen all over again-we don't think he'll go off the board, but he does. Could work out for us, but unless it's someone selling the house, AND we don't have to move far, I don't want to trade this pick. When you have the #3 pick, you have to get #3 value. That's why, if Eli and Ben are gone, I say go for Taylor, at the moment.

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
sorry, I have to make a correction...

I hate to correct all those FOOTBALL experts who were reporting at the Senior Bowl, especially Kiper, but Rivers was not 4-0 in bowl games. He was QB when STATE lost to Pittsburgh in the 2001 Tangerine Bowl 34-19.

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
This is very intersting fact on Rivers. It is from another dude on anohter board but it is intersting.

"In high school. He led the state of Alabama in interceptions as a senior in high school -he had 10. No, I'm not saying he THREW the most interceptions, he MADE the most interceptions playing as a safety.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmo...A7-C4AAB0551A56

"Still, Rivers' ability as a quarterback has been questioned since his days in high school. Alabama offered him a chance to play quarterback but talked about moving him to safety (Rivers led the state in interceptions as a senior safety with 10).

- end quote -

That may be the most amazing thing I have read about a prospect this year. Some 6'5 slow white guy led the state of Alabama in interceptions in high school. He must have simply amazing mental/coordination skills."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've been touting this guy all winter/fall. He has had tremendous success at State, and he'll be a winner in the NFL.

You have to remember that Rivers has been proving the detractors wrong ever since high school. He's from Alabama, but Auburn and Alabama wouldn't recruit him as a quaterback. So he went to the only school that would take him as a QB, NC State.

All he did at State was win. His game isn't pretty, but it's a effective.

Stout, I was the one who wanted him in the second. But I always prefaced that by saying he probably would jump into the first round or possibly drop because of his workouts.

I would love to draft him, he's really easy to pull for. :p

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
phillip rivers is the man. as far as i'm concern manning pussed out of the senior bowl. it would have been great to see manning compare skills with the other qb. at least everyone would be able to compare the other qb to the #1 prospect of the draft. then again that is probally why manning decided not to play in the senior bowl. afraid their wouldn't be to big of gap in talent at the qb position.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he'll be a first round pick by either Miami or Pittsburg.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i live in raleigh and this kid married his high school sweetheart, has children now, is great with the fans. he is the only qb in the draft who can start and win next year, but dan marino loves him so i cant see him being there for the cards to steal.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
It looks like Rivers just secured a spot for himself in the first round with his play at the senior bowl. What will now have to be figured into the draft equation is the teams that were going to try and trade up to get either Manning or Roethlisberger may now be willing to sit back and wait to draft Rivers. I think this is great for us because we should have an even better chance at drafting Ben or Eli now.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
Philip Rivers is great. I was at the game last night. He seemed like he was on a mission. He was very poised in practice and at the game. I think he will be a great pickup for any team. I just hope the team that picks him up will not try to change his delivery too much. I think that could be damaging. Like rivers said in an interview. With his delivery now he still hasn't had many batted balls. So if the team don't try to change him he will do great in the NFL. Another Monster I saw was Greg Jones. I talked to him but he wouldn't comment on a specific team he would like to go to. Good answer.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me being a Carolinas homer, but I like Rivers more than any other Qb in the draft. Still, I think it would be a PR nightmare for the Cards to take him @ 3. I hope he wows em at the combine.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll repeat what I said on another thread -

All 3 of these guys - Manning, Roethlisberger and Rivers - finds the open man and then hits him accurately - nearly every single time.

None of our current QB's (or, for that matter, past ones dating back to maybe Boomer, Rosenbach or Lomax) could do this.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Originally posted by Redrage
Maybe it's just me being a Carolinas homer, but I like Rivers more than any other Qb in the draft. Still, I think it would be a PR nightmare for the Cards to take him @ 3. I hope he wows em at the combine.

QBs,

The Senior Bowl was the first time I've seen any of the big 3 QB's play. But how could Eli or Ben look any better than Rivers? Man that guy looked sharp and the 'experts' said he always plays that way.

In other great QB years (Elway, Blacklegde,Kelly, Eason, O'Brien, Marino... and Couch,McNabb, Akili Smith, McNown, Culpepper) the best QBs weren't always drafted first.

I'm wondering about P Rivers. It sure looks like that kid can play and he has the X factor of stepping in up in Bowl games! If Green/Graves want a QB, they have to consider Rivers. Screw the experts about where the QBs are ranked. I'd rather they pick the Marino than the Blackledge, or the Culpepper rather than the Akili Smith. Right now if they drafted Rivers 3rd I'd have no problem with that, even if Theisman wets himself.

Shuesters :thumbup:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
h

Ha! Those fools don't deserve an "h". I'm not wasting letters on some has been team. I've got to conserve, you know.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I vote for Rivers, easier to spell and most people around here still can't get Bidwill correct. How many signs at the stadium would say Rothersmnbtrpodhjtgpowejrvher?

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
I vote for Rivers, easier to spell and most people around here still can't get Bidwill correct. How many signs at the stadium would say Rothersmnbtrpodhjtgpowejrvher?

But then you will have people saying "Revers stinks." We need someone without the letter i in their last name. That eliminates Eli Manneng and Ben Roethlesberger. Sean Taylor is the only clear choice.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We should have a trade down worked out on draft day. If Eli and Ben are gone, we trade down 2 to 4 spot and draft Rivers.