Shannon Brown Impresses Suns

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns like 21st pick but are keeping options open

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 20, 2006 12:00 AM

Eight quartets of draft candidates have visited the Suns, with each player leaving town sure that he is an ideal match for their style. The players even have told other teams that.

The way things stand, only two would be so lucky. Eight days from the draft, Phoenix sits with the 21st and 27th picks and no second-round slot.

The Suns agree that someone at No. 21 could help them, particularly after the playoffs cried out for depth. But the Suns could become draft-day dealers by packaging the picks for one mid-first round choice. advertisement

"Everybody goes into the draft trying to get to where their guy is," Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin said. "Having two picks in the same year sometimes helps you move up.

"We don't have anything particularly hot and heavy right now, so we're looking at No. 21 as the pick we're going to use first and we kind of dig it."

Of the visitors so far, the top candidates include Michigan State guard Shannon Brown, Florida State power forward Alexander Johnson, Memphis wing Shawne Williams, Swiss off-guard Thabo Sefolosha, Michigan State wing Maurice Ager, Spanish point guard Sergio Rodriguez and Kentucky point Rajon Rondo.

Thursday's group likely will add Ukrainian power forward Oleksiy Pecherov, raw but tantalizing Senegalese center Saer Sene and Temple 6-foot-6 point Mardy Collins to the list.

"If we can take something off (Steve Nash's) back, that'd be great, but I'm thinking Leandro Barbosa is developing into the player who will do that," coach Mike D'Antoni said.

Brown, trying to show he can play point, wowed the Suns on Monday with his high-rising game. Unlike most teams, the Suns run full-court, two-on-two games. Just when he looked tired, Brown kept scoring on Missouri's Thomas Gardner.

"I like to run, they (the Suns) like to run," Brown said. "I like to shoot, they like to shoot."

Monday's group also had Matt Haryasz, a Stanford graduate as of Sunday. The likely second-rounder showed a good face-up jumper in his first arena visit since Page High School's 2002 state title game loss.

On Saturday, the Suns saw Johnson's consistent shot and passion for dunking.

"I feel being here would really bring me out," he said. "I like to do all the things I see Shawn Marion and Amaré Stoudemire do."

Option status

Pat Burke exercised his $810,000 option to return to the Suns next season. Eddie House ($932,015) and Brian Grant ($1.8 million) have until June 30 to pick up their options.
Suns draft options
The Suns pick 21st and 27th in the June 28 draft. They could:

• Keep both picks. The guaranteed contracts are not the hit they once were. First-round picks only have two guaranteed years with two team option years. Over the first two seasons, the 21st pick would make a maximum of $2,372,880 while the 27th pick would top out at $1,892,400.

• Move up in the draft. The Suns are interested in acquiring a higher pick and might be able to package their choices to do so.

• Only trade No. 27. The Suns could get someone they like at No. 21 and trade the No. 27, perhaps for second-round picks.

- Paul Coro

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
I can see the headline now:

"Haryasz Itching To Be A Sun"

Be bold, SOH. Draft day headline on sidebar of Suns reaching at No. 27:

Suns reach deep, pick Haryasz

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I watched Shannon Brown play a couple times this year and he and Paul Davis were the reason i liked this team in the tourney (that didnt pan out so well)

He is the type of player who is more made for the NBA than college and i feel after watching his play, he would have been a top 5 pick had he played for a up tempo team like the Wildcats. I know nothing about his personality or drive, but in terms of skills - he is a top 5 player in the draft IMO. And i remember thinking that after watching him play poorly against Wisconsin this year.....

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
"Haryasz Happy To Be Riding The Pine"

"Suns Scratch Haryasz.... From Rotation"

Nice

Or

"Suns Haryasz isn't all he's cracked up to be"

Last edited:

Kolo

Reaction score
Alexander Johnson at 21, Haryasz at 27--if only we could find a way to draft Rudy Gay as well. Endless possibilities.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"Suns' unsure which path to take. Enter Haryasz."

"Amare disappointed with Haryasz"

"Scouting department fired for trying out Haryasz"

Ok, I'm done.

Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
"Suns frontcourt duo ready to kill -- Burke and Haryasz"

I agree with AF about Shannon Brown. I've seen his games on TV for the past 2 years and I should say he is damn impressive when he has his 'A' game. He looks a lot like Wade when he drives to the hoop and hangs in the air for a while to make circus shots. A superb athlete with great speed as well. His build seems NBA ready as well.

There was a lull in MSU's bball mid-season and I remember Brown wasn't in the headlines for a while. Dunno why though...injury, lack of drive or whatever. So thats the part that has me concerned.

If the Suns deem him to have the right attitude, I'm sure he can be a contributor right away. I'd love to have Farmar on the team as well. We need a young backup PG to secure the future and help Nash. Barbosa is BS in the PG position. He has a hard time making decisions for himself on the court, leave alone directing a team on offence.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:deadhorse:

Maybe we should start an ASFN Mock draft or something to keep us entertained, this stuff is getting old.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So is Brown 6-1 or 6-3??

[SIZE=+6] [/SIZE]
You must be registered for see images
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shannon Brown
Birthdate: 11/29/85
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
College: Michigan St.
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-3
Wt: 200
Hometown: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maywood, IL
High School: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Proviso East[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team Site Profile[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2005 Stats[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NBA Comparison: Fred Jones

Strengths: Shannon is a phenomenal athlete comparable to few prior. A true highlight-film waiting to happen on the fastbreaks, he is just as likely to rise up and dunk on the defense in a half-court setting. An on-target shooter with a high-rising jumper and pretty form. A capable handle despite not having to play the point guard spot with his high school team. He also is a solid defender when he sets his mind to shutting down his opponent. Exciting player with supreme athletic gifts, draws comparisons to Ronnie Fileds. Has the ability to play the point guard position on the next two levels. With his athleticism coupled with very large hands, bigger than his 6'9" teammates, and long arms, he has the tools to dominate.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weaknesses: Classified as "great" in about every category, his passing ability, while above par, is not yet at the elite level. At times becomes lax on the defensive end when he is not totally entrapped in the game. Like many great shooters, he will most always try to shoot himself out of a slump, and at times this can serve as a deficiency to his game. A natural shooting guard, his size at 6'1" is a setback, but with capabilities at the lead guard spot, he will be alright.

Notes: Shannon's high school has one of the richest traditions of basketball taletn of any school in the country, the list of alma maters includes: Michael Finley, Doc Rivers, Sherel Ford, Donnie Boyce, Dee Brown, Steven Hunter

-Frank Rusnak - High School Elite
[/FONT]

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like that report on Shannon Brown is from his HS days so he may have grown a little. It's possible he was 6'1 barefoot, grew an inch and his shoes add an inch to make him 6'3.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Sunsfn: maybe you did hear Collins name in the video cause it sure is on this report.
Haryasz could be a bust for sure but with a second round pick he'd be a cheap bust.
I'm happy to have confirmation of a Thabo workout.
And I don't want Shannon Brown unless we dump Barbosa because there is only so much room for undersized combo guards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake