Suns meeting Amar'e Stoudemire, final deal extension push before July 1

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Getting to Game 7 of the NBA Finals is running out of gas?

Not to mention they actually coasted during the regular season and turned it on during the playoffs.

Saying Dirk will run out gas in the playoffs is along the same lines as Nash being too old 6 years ago. Sure Dirk like all players will eventually slow down but I'd take my chances on him in the post-season with playoff averages of 25+ppg and 11rpg.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he is offering the 4 year extension, then its more than what any other team can offer. Can't see why Amare would not just do that.
We don't know that Sarver actually made that offer. I think Amare would take a five-year deal from the Suns, but I am not sure that's a good idea for the Suns.
They could use that trade exception to pick up any other FA in a sign and trade (like a Lee or Dirk).
Dirk would have to take a pay cut, since the TPE would be for less than what a max contract for Dirk would call for. Also there's the problem of Dallas most likely not agreeing to such deal.
I know, I still have a small shred of hope the Suns will land Dirk somehow. I just fully expect Dirk to sign a 6 year max contract with the Mavs soon after FA starts.
A six-year max contract would pay Dirk close to $32M in his final year at age 38. I am not sure if Dallas wants to offer that much.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
It's the most likely, but it's not a forgone conclusion. Otherwise Nowitzki would have been saying so all along. Cuban has already said he'll offer a maximum extension, so there's no reason for Nowitzki to be silent unless he's at least considering the possibility of leaving.

Dirk could also get a no-trade clause written into his new deal by opting out (assuming he re-signs with Dallas).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dirk could also get a no-trade clause written into his new deal by opting out (assuming he re-signs with Dallas).

The current CBA does not allow no-trade clauses. Kobe was the only player in the league with one but I'm not sure if that changed with his extension.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The current CBA does not allow no-trade clauses. Kobe was the only player in the league with one but I'm not sure if that changed with his extension.

An extension does not nullify any agreed to no trade clause. It is simply an extension of the current contract.

Also, I believe the current rule is only players with at least eight years of service time and four with the same team are eligible for a no-trade clause.

Factor the rule in with the fact that very few players in the league like Kobe that can command that.....that is the reason Kobe is the only one.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also, I believe the current rule is only players with at least eight years of service time and four with the same team are eligible for a no-trade clause.

No, the most recent CBA did away with the no-trade clause all together. Kobe signed his contract before the current CBA and had it grandfathered in.

Players can get trade kickers put in the contract, which for a player like Nowitzki if he signs a max deal would make him nearly untradable.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the most recent CBA did away with the no-trade clause all together. Kobe signed his contract before the current CBA and had it grandfathered in.

Players can get trade kickers put in the contract, which for a player like Nowitzki if he signs a max deal would make him nearly untradable.

I do not believe that is correct. I could be wrong. I was just reading another article that talked about players being eligible. I am looking for it. Here is another article discussing Paul Pierces eligibility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5341636

Pierce, though, is eligible to secure a rare no-trade clause if he stays with the Celtics. Players with at least eight years of service time and at least four seasons with the same team can negotiate a no-trade provision into new contracts, which would not have been possible had Pierce agreed to an extension to his current contract before Thursday.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do not believe that is correct. I could be wrong. I was just reading another article that talked about players being eligible. I am looking for it. Here is another article discussing Paul Pierces eligibility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5341636

Pierce, though, is eligible to secure a rare no-trade clause if he stays with the Celtics. Players with at least eight years of service time and at least four seasons with the same team can negotiate a no-trade provision into new contracts, which would not have been possible had Pierce agreed to an extension to his current contract before Thursday.

Guess I was mistaken, looked it up on CBA FAQ. No idea why it's not more common. I know I'd have one put in if I were Amare with the way he has been shopped the last couple seasons.