takers for Bledsoe?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if we gave them this year's protected Miami pick with Bled?

I'd consider it but I dislike giving up the pick with the Suns having needs to fill at PG, center and possibly even PF.

Also this is a deep draft so the Miami pick should yield a good player.

I guess the key is the protection on the Miami pick. As I said previously, I'd like to keep the pick.

Also I want to see what Bledsoe yields in a trade.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd consider it but I dislike giving up the pick with the Suns having needs to fill at PG, center and possibly even PF.

I guess the key is the protection on the Miami pick. As I said previously, I'd like to keep the pick.

Yeah. I had mixed feelings myself about it. But the Miami pick might not convey to us this season and if it did it could be in the teens. Plus if we did get the Brooklyn pick without giving up the Miami pick we could have three picks in the next draft which could be overkill...but we wouldn't have to use them... could trade up or out of the draft. The big risk is if Brooklyn somehow takes off and Miami tanks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But what are we going to do with three more rookies? I would prefer to get better picks rather than more. I like the idea of swapping rights. We get the right to swap a first round pick for the Nets pick--either our pick or the Miami pick. It gives us more options for better picks and the Cavs will get some sort of pick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Can Cleveland trade the Nets pick and add protection?

No because that would penalize Brooklyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Like he said the biggest problem is all the players that cant be traded until December.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Like he said the biggest problem is all the players that cant be traded until December.

I get a sense that the Suns are going to stand firm until December. It's the McD way.

And I would not be surprised if Bledsoe plays again.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get a sense that the Suns are going to stand firm until December. It's the McD way.

I was just thinking this. If this team turns around a little, I could see Bledsoe apologizing and making nice for a while.

The problem is that the team seems to play better without him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They should stand firm.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Let's have a poll and see how many want to abandon so quickly facilitating Point Guards to go back to the bad ol' Bledsoe/Knight stopping-the-ball days.

Bring back Bledsoe? Why? I vote 'no'. And let's give Brandon Knight a bus ticket to oblivion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what are we going to do with three more rookies? I would prefer to get better picks rather than more. I like the idea of swapping rights. We get the right to swap a first round pick for the Nets pick--either our pick or the Miami pick. It gives us more options for better picks and the Cavs will get some sort of pick.

I think your math is off perhaps because I was talking about the Suns needs when I referred to PG, center and possibly even PF.

The Suns currently have two first round picks (their own and the Miami pick) to fill the holes at PG and center in the upcoming draft unless a Bledsoe trade yields more assets.

I'm hoping the Bledsoe trade fills at least one of these holes.

However, if the Suns traded Bledsoe plus the Miami pick for the Nets pick they would still only have two first round picks in the 2018 draft. Their own and the Nets pick.

Sure they have second round picks but this has not been part of the discussion.

Now if you asked me if would I consider trading Bledsoe and the Miami pick for the Nets pick, I have already said I would consider it. However, what if protection was placed on the Nets pick? Although I'm not sure it is possible.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
However, if the Suns traded Bledsoe plus the Miami pick for the Nets pick they would still only have two first round picks in the 2018 draft. Their own and the Nets pick.

If the suns traded Bledsoe and a Miami pick for the Brooklyn pick here is how I see it.

First off they'd have to send a player back which could be used for trade or whatever.

Having our own pick plus Brooklyns would give us two shots at cracking the top four where the quality bigs are. We might strike gold and get two in the top four. But least we could almost guarantee we get one of those players. If we did get two bigs that would make Chriss or Bender expendable to trade for a PG.

We could trade down and still pick up a PG with one of the picks.

James and Ulis could maybe hold down the position for a season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think your math is off perhaps because I was talking about the Suns needs when I referred to PG, center and possibly even PF.

The Suns currently have two first round picks (their own and the Miami pick) to fill the holes at PG and center in the upcoming draft unless a Bledsoe trade yields more assets.

I'm hoping the Bledsoe trade fills at least one of these holes.

Sure they have second round picks but this has not been part of the discussion.

Now if you asked me if would I consider trading Bledsoe and the Miami pick for the Nets pick, I have already said I would consider it. However, what if protection was placed on the Nets pick? Although I'm not sure it is possible.

OK I would be in favor of that as well. Bledsoe and Miami pick for the Nets pick, or the right to swap the Miami pick for the Nets pick.

I have never heard of a team adding protections to a pick that it received in trade from another team. I think the pick has to be conveyed with its original protections if any. But I have not actually seen the rule.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the suns traded Bledsoe and a Miami pick for the Brooklyn pick here is how I see it.

First off they'd have to send a player back which could be used for trade or whatever.

Having our own pick plus Brooklyns would give us two shots at cracking the top four where the quality bigs are. We might strike gold and get two in the top four. But least we could almost guarantee we get one of those players. If we did get two bigs that would make Chriss or Bender expendable to trade for a PG.

We could trade down and still pick up a PG with one of the picks.

James and Ulis could maybe hold down the position for a season.

I'm not against trading Bledsoe and the Miami pick for the Nets pick. I guess I want to see what other offers are on the table.

Bledsoe alone may get the Suns something good like a center.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bledsoe won't get the Nets pick. Doesn't matter if you add the Miami pick or take back salary. That's the only thing they have to build on once Lebron leaves.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I would be in favor of that as well. Bledsoe and Miami pick for the Nets pick, or the right to swap the Miami pick for the Nets pick.

I have never heard of a team adding protections to a pick that it received in trade from another team. I think the pick has to be conveyed with its original protections if any. But I have not actually seen the rule.

I haven't seen the rule either except it can't mess with the Nets draft going forward. However, I don't think it should.

I'd really would like to get a young player that fills a need out of the Bledsoe trade or the best trade possible, e.g., like trading for the Nets pick.

A young player and a first round draft pick might be the ceiling in a Bledsoe trade plus the Suns taking an expiring contract back.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bledsoe won't get the Nets pick. Doesn't matter if you add the Miami pick or take back salary. That's the only thing they have to build on once Lebron leaves.

Not so sure. Especially if they think adding Bled might make James want to stay and give them a final shot at a championship. If you look at it that way they 'gain' LeBron if he stays.

Plus the Miami pick has no protection after this season...I think. They could have their cake and eat it too maybe.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not against trading Bledsoe and the Miami pick for the Nets pick. I guess I want to see what other offers are on the table.

Bledsoe alone may get the Suns something good like a center.

I don't think Bled alone is going to add something substantial... probably a prospect.. maybe a pick in the teens. That's not going to do much for us. We have prospect bigs and picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what manipulating is going on behind the scenes with Rich Paul. Anyway, this could take a while.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so sure. Especially if they think adding Bled might make James want to stay and give them a final shot at a championship. If you look at it that way they 'gain' LeBron if he stays.

Plus the Miami pick has no protection after this season...I think. They could have their cake and eat it too maybe.

they're not going to make any kind of deal involving that pick until they know if IT can play and that won't be for another couple months. Now, if he's NOT healthy, maybe we get some leverage there, but it's MONTHS from now because they'll need to make a move in LeBron's last gasp, but even then, that means Bledsoe will have been sitting around gathering dust and it will prob be even more apparent how screwed Brooklyn is by then raising value of the pick.

They can be .500 all year long and still coast to the Finals. They ain't in a rush.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like McDonough, but he needs to lose the ego and get some PR training. He was on Bickley and Marotta today and again trashed Bledsoe.

This is a players league and many of the players are making more than him. He needs to bite his tongue and spit out the PR approved remarks and cliches when dealing with these situations.

There is no benefit to what he is doing.