The 2023-24 league year

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Things both players have in common: draw the opponent's toughest matchup, average-ish pass rushes.

Where both players differ: Byron Murphy has faced down Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, and Jalen Hurts. Marco Wilson has squared off with the immortal Sam Howell, Danny Dimes, and one-legged Joe Burrow. These are not the same.

Anyone who truly thinks that Marco Wilson and Byron Murphy are the same quality of player need to look up from the stat sheet/log off from PFF. CB metrics are exceedingly fake and non-predictive. Byron isn't Sauce Gardner, but you don't have to squint very hard to visualize him as the starting corner for a playoff team.

Hint: He's already been one

I've watched Murphy for 4 years. They are very much not the same player. But they very much are similar quality levels in a different style of player.

I really do not get some fans obsessions with Byron Murphy. He was a total JAG in his 4 years here. The jaggiest of jags. The Cards version of Rock Ya-Sin or Rashad Fenton. On his best days he's as mid as they come.

I know exactly what Murphy is and he's never getting better. At least Wilson is only entering year 3 and has the chance at some upside because he at least has elite physical traits. Murphy has neither the physical traits or the mental processing to hide his limitation.

As much as Wilson is pissing me off I'd still go with Wilson if they were earning the same money. The fact that Byron is earning 8x more doesn't even put him in the conversation.

Talk about clinging to a narrative. The league told you exactly what they think of Byron Murphy when nobody was interested in him for more than $9m a year and 2 years (really one year as no money G's in year 2) and the only people who think anything else are you, Chopper and a handful of other die hards.

For a 25 year old CB that's a solid F grade.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Smith was definitely known more for what he did his last 5-6 years, for sure...he defied his age and actually got better...leaned on his experience to win matchups...and never lost much of his speed.

We'd really have to do a deep dive into his mentality and how he carried himself early in his career...and compare that with Jeudy, IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Smith was definitely known more for what he did his last 5-6 years, for sure...he defied his age and actually got better...leaned on his experience to win matchups...and never lost much of his speed.

We'd really have to do a deep dive into his mentality and how he carried himself early in his career...and compare that with Jeudy, IMO.
Steve Smith was a special teams player his first season (first-team all pro) and injured his fourth. The tweet is a troll.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Steve Smith was a special teams player his first season (first-team all pro) and injured his fourth. The tweet is a troll.

True but then he had a huge career.

I think the main difference is Jeudy doesn't seem to be a dawg.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
True but then he had a huge career.

I think the main difference is Jeudy doesn't seem to be a dawg.
Bro I love Steve Smith. People said Rondale Moores size wasn’t a problem because Steve Smith exists but he’s the exception that proves the rule.

You can be a physical outlier but then you have to have a completely deranged love of football and competition to get through it.

Neither Hollywood nor Rondale seem to have that, which is why they’ll never be great.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Jeudy was hurt most of his 2nd year and is only 5 games into year 4. Dude may be a troll, but the stats are the stats. It's more about mental make-up, than talent. Maybe Jeudy can figure it out.

I'd rather see guys like Smith offer to mentor guys like Jeudy, than just tear them down publicly. JMO

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jeudy was hurt most of his 2nd year and is only 5 games into year 4. Dude may be a troll, but the stats are the stats. It's more about mental make-up, than talent. Maybe Jeudy can figure it out.

I'd rather see guys like Smith offer to mentor guys like Jeudy, than just tear them down publicly. JMO
When Steve played the guys on the other team were actually allowed to play defense

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky