The Arsenal FC thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bendtner? Aw boo!

That name shall not be spoken in this thread. Ever. Unless it's to say he is gone far, far away from Arsenal. And even then, just call him B or "that terrible, awful, scumbag player who thinks he's a star".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
GoonRambler@GoonRambler 2m
According to @Futbol_Mercado Arsenal offer 82 million euros for Özil, Benzema and Di Maria

Real Madrid will reject it, of course, but I don't know if I've ever seen a more fascinating transfer story than that (if it's true). That is quite amazing, even moreso that it's freaking Arsenal that's making the offer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Madrid will reject it, of course, but I don't know if I've ever seen a more fascinating transfer story than that (if it's true). That is quite amazing, even moreso that it's freaking Arsenal that's making the offer.

I think they are about 20m too short. 100m euros sounds about right for the caliber those players.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
GIROUD!

You must be registered for see images

That was a hell of a finish. The guy worked his tail off all game too. We need someone to help him out though. He can't play like that for 50 games this year without breaking down.

There are also rumors that Madrid are going to sell us Ozil now that they have Bale.
https://twitter.com/espcore/status/374252203160002562
Arsenal & Real Madrid have reached an agreement for the transfer of Mesut Özil on a €50m deal (via SER).

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Arsenal are able to get Ozil (and one or two others) then Wenger will have played a blinder.

I already thought they would finish above Spurs even with no signings, but Ozil is one of the best in the world. Spurs didn't strengthen in the areas they needed to, and seemed to sign the same player over and over.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Arsenal are able to get Ozil (and one or two others) then Wenger will have played a blinder.

I already thought they would finish above Spurs even with no signings, but Ozil is one of the best in the world. Spurs didn't strengthen in the areas they needed to, and seemed to sign the same player over and over.

Except that I don't think Ozil's position is a position of need for Arsenal. Would he be switched to a different spot? Maybe like what Fabregas is when he's on the field with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta?

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Deadline passed. Ozil in along with a GK, Emiliano Viviano, on loan. Ozil is great but I was really hoping the Ba deal would have gone through too. We still are short in the back and up front.

I guess the plan will be to use Theo and Podolski more at CF when Giroud needs a rest (or, God forbid, gets injured). They haven't played their best in that role but maybe it will work better with more creativity behind them now. Giroud was really our only option at the end of last year because we started playing a lot of ugly, grind-it-out football, at least by Arsenal standards. Cazorla was over used last year and really slowed down at the end of the season and it really showed our lack of creative options. But with Ozil, Cazorla and an emerging Ramsey we can get back to playing a more ascetically pleasing style and it could mean it's finally time for Theo to get a run at CF.

What was really surprising was that we weren't even rumored to be after any CBs. We only have 2 with Vermaelen injured. And he wasn't exactly at the top of his game when he was healthy last year. Flamini kind of helps because he adds some depth to RB if Sagna has to move to CB for any length of time.

Hopefully we don't have many more injuries between now and January.

Also, the new GK looks strikingly similar to Manuel Almunia:

Last edited:

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Also, it looks like Bendtner is still being kept for depth at striker. He was going to be loaned to Crystal Palace but we pulled out of that deal when we couldn't get Ba.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week's Tuesday Club is especially entertaining, including a reenactment of what the new-and-improved Aaron "Steve Austin" Ramsey sounds like on the field:

http://bit.ly/17FVx7V

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed how they laid out Arsene's genius: selling Gervihno to Rome, so Rome sold that one guy to the Spurs, so Spurs would send Bale to Madrid, so Madrid had to sell Ozil to Arsene.

:)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed how they laid out Arsene's genius: selling Gervihno to Rome, so Rome sold that one guy to the Spurs, so Spurs would send Bale to Madrid, so Madrid had to sell Ozil to Arsene.

:)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ozil got an assist today in his Arsenal debut, but the bigger story has got to be Aaron Ramsey. Is he the new midfield version of RvP? Where did this offensive juggernaut come from? It's only been a few games, but if he stays consistent... wow.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ozil got an assist today in his Arsenal debut, but the bigger story has got to be Aaron Ramsey. Is he the new midfield version of RvP? Where did this offensive juggernaut come from? It's only been a few games, but if he stays consistent... wow.

Waiting for goons to start marking/checking. Teams haven't been paying him much attention. Until now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Ramsey scoring has been a pleasant surprise so far this year.

And if that happens, the hope is that it opens the door for Jack Wilshire. Nice option.

The 2 goals so far for Arsenal Wilshire in what 70 apps? Put mean clearly on that side that Wilshire needs to show that he can put the ball into the back of the net before I make such claims. I keep hearing that he is a world class player, but he has yet to show it to me for club or country. He will be making way for Cazorla when he comes back. I think the attacking midfield of Ozil, Cazorla, and Walcott is pretty darn good.

Altidore was robbed of a goal and a chance for the 2:2 draw for Sunderland. Shame for him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, Ramsey scoring has been a pleasant surprise so far this year.

The 2 goals so far for Arsenal Wilshire in what 70 apps? Put mean clearly on that side that Wilshire needs to show that he can put the ball into the back of the net before I make such claims. I keep hearing that he is a world class player, but he has yet to show it to me for club or country. He will be making way for Cazorla when he comes back. I think the attacking midfield of Ozil, Cazorla, and Walcott is pretty darn good.

Altidore was robbed of a goal and a chance for the 2:2 draw for Sunderland. Shame for him.

Walcotts not a midfielder. He's a winger who actually prefers to play in the center.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake