The Kyler Murray is mediocre thread

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m befuddled at why some rush to prop him up.
Kurt Warner couldn’t win a race running against a cripple, yet he won with his arm.
The supporters say” Petzing needs to put in some more designed runs.” Ask yourself this…why?

I could be wrong but I seem to remember seeing charts showing Kyler intermediate passing stats being very poor. I believe that’s still the case.

Think off the big plays. A broken play for a td to MHJ. The broken play hitting MHJ on a deeper sideline pass. The insane scramble against the Raiders. The insane prayer against the Bills. Hard to remember Kyler dropping back and dropping 20 yard dimes.

If I were calling the plays this week I would would pull a Bilichek and pass the first 30 plays of the game. Everybody knew the first play Sunday was going to be a Connor run. On 2nd down We run 90% of the time no matter what the situation. We are designed to run and set up the pass. There are times you pass to set up the run.

We will never know but I think we are forced to play within Kyler’s limits.

The defense is what it is. But we are not going to win another game if we only score 14 pts. So let’s put the ball in Kyler’s hands and play like we are 14 pts. Down. Why? Because we can’t. The defense won’t defend like we are 14 pts. Down.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am afraid we have seen all that KM can do. He is in his 6th year, and he still struggles reading defenses and finding the open receiver. He is unlikely to improve. He is an average QB who will occasionally have a great game. Would he be better with more talent on the OL and more experienced WR? Of course he would. However, he was the #1 draft pick, and he is making $40M a year. He should be making other players look good, not the other way around.

The frustrating part is I believe he could be an elite QB if he worked on his mental preparation of the game. He needs to know what receivers are open before the ball is snapped. He needs to know where the mismatches are. He needs to throw WR open instead of waiting for WR to get open and then throw the ball. All of this requires a lot of studying of game film. His deep ball was great when he was throwing to Hopkins. Now, not so good.

Unfortunately, it is very costly to release him, and I don't see a trade unless a GM completely losing his mind. Every year his next year's contract is guaranteed. His 2025 salary and roster bonus are already guaranteed, $40M. On March 22, 2025, $36M of his 2026 is guaranteed. On March 22, 2026, 19.5M of his 2027 salary is guaranteed. He is also due an option bonus of $7.2M in 2025, 2026 and 2027. Thank you, Steve Kiem.
I'll defend Kyler and say I don't think he can be elite by working on his mental preparation, because I believe he has been putting in all the mental preparation he can. Problem is, some QBs just will never have that elite processing speed. But I do think he is preparing as hard as he can.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect a quarterback to be a playmaker in addition to their passing and running skills. They should have the ability to make defenses pay for their coverage. This is where I have the most questions. Kurt Warner made defenses pay with his quick decision-making.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#8 in QBR... above average and fringe elite. Exactly where he has been most his career. Needs a good roster to win a superbowl. We are far from a good roster.

Any belief outside of the above few sentences is splitting hairs and understandably emotional convo after we got our butts whooped.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
#8 in QBR... above average and fringe elite. Exactly where he has been most his career. Needs a good roster to win a superbowl. We are far from a good roster.

ual
Patrick Mahomes is #16 and Jordan Love is #17. We should call KC and offer to trade KM for Mahomes. We could possibly get a second-round draft pick to make the deal equal.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why there is a "Kyler Murray appreciation" thread that's being kept alive to get people here banned for speaking the truth. It's a discussion board, a thread where a handful of people lie to themselves to feel better serves no purpose.

Publicly whining about being banned gets you banned again. 3 days this time.

Keep it up and see where it goes.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he below average? I’m not so sure. A career passer rating of 92 and little better than 2-1 int/TD ratio. Career YPA of 7.0

He is probably right in the average category IMO as opposed to below average. Or mediocre. Sure he has some games like that but overall I think that’s probably a little hyperbolic. And we all know I’m a Kyler critic. Just because I don’t think we are getting enough return on the teams investment. IE draft status and salary he commands.

Yep he is average ish. 12-15 range. I have accepted it. Better Jake Plummer.

You can win with him but he needs talent to elevate him, not the other way around.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll defend Kyler and say I don't think he can be elite by working on his mental preparation, because I believe he has been putting in all the mental preparation he can. Problem is, some QBs just will never have that elite processing speed. But I do think he is preparing as hard as he can.

Very fair take

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22