The merged "Suspension" thread

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hoping they won't suspend the players, but this is a rule that has ALWAYS been letter of the law.

Of course this incident probably causes the greatest swing of power if it is enforced...

I'm sure that the league is worried about the precedent of letting Amare/Diaw play will set. Not just for the rest of the playoffs, but from now on they will have to more open minded on these decisions.

I hope the league will realize that game five is in Phoenix and if Amare is not playing and the Suns get blown out, they might need to bring in about ten officials to keep the game turning into a boxing match.

Reaction score
I would love to believe it but it ain't gonna fly. Diaw was standing and Amare was sitting when this happenned and they came rushing after the fact. If the league wants to look the other way using whatever logic, I all for it. Let's just hope we don't get punished for something so trivial.

They came rushing after what, though? After the whistle for the dead ball in order to check in, or after they saw a flagrant foul occur to protect their teammate? They were rushing to the scorers table, no doubt, but it was a DEAD BALL SITUATION and players are allowed to run to the scorers table if they want to.

:)

Kolo

Reaction score
Here's the actual text of the rule, Section VII(c) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game.

I'd argue an "altercation" had not yet started because Raja hadn't gotten in Horry's face, and that neither left the "immediate vicinity." And like a lot of others, I think at least Amare will be suspended. Maybe we'll cut a break, and they'll suspend him for a game next season, but I doubt it.

Here's an example of the league making an exception, even though the action of the Kings' bench seemed to violate the rule:

Fox suspended six games; Christie two for Lakers-Kings fight
Oct. 28, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Rick Fox was suspended for six games, Doug Christie was banished for two, and every member of the Sacramento Kings who left the bench during a fight with the Los Angeles Lakers got off scot-free.

In a surprising ruling Monday by NBA vice president Stu Jackson, the Sacramento Kings were not punished as badly as they may have expected for their part in a bench-clearing brawl during the first quarter of an exhibition game at Los Angeles last Friday.

Jackson ruled that because the players left the bench to join a fracas in a hallway underneath the stands, rather than on the court, they would not receive the customary one-game suspension for that offense.

"This is not a new precedent at all," Jackson said in a conference call with reporters. "In the end we felt this case was very unusual, a special case."

. . .

When the fight resumed beneath the stands, several Sacramento players left the bench area and raced down a tunnel leading to the locker rooms.

Stu Jackson noted that when the fight first broke out on the court, none of the Kings players left the bench. He also said that the Kings players likely did not know exactly what was happening under the stands when they rushed off the court to intervene.

"I don't think anybody on the benches fully knew what was going on out of sight of the bench areas," Jackson said.

. . .

Previous suspensions for leaving the bench were made in accordance with an NBA rule that states: "During an altercation, all players not taking part in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of the bench. Violators will be suspended without pay for a minimum of one game and fined up to $20,000."

Stu Jackson said any players who leave the bench during an on-court altercation will continue to be suspended for one game.

The Kings, who were relieved by the ruling, will have only nine players available for their opener against Cleveland as Mike Bibby, Lawrence Funderburke and Christie will be sidelined.

"I was glad the commissioner saw fit to understand, not just react," Christie said.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rule states:

Actual wording: During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game.

The question now becomes will the league consider what happened a fight? If they do, there is no question Amare and Diaw get suspended. If they don't then neither get suspended.

Horry not only elbowed Horry but then threw another at Bell. Horry at the very least should be gone for the series. However, if Amare and Diaw are suspended and we lose the series, I will boycott the rest of the NBA playoffs. Not that it will matter much.

D'Anotoni looked incredibly somber after the game. I think that says it all.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the team's official stance that Amare was "checking in" allows the league to not suspend him if they choose to. They have a way out, without throwing out the rule.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Amare's suspended, it's just ridiculous. It basically REWARDS the Spurs for thuggery. That's not the intention of the rule and the NBA HAS to see that.

that being said, I expect Amare to be suspended and me to be FURIOUS.

Spider TX

Reaction score
They were BOTH standing as Nash ran by, so to say Amare was sitting and jumped up just as a result of that is wrong. He was going to enter the game after the foul, but whether or not the league looks at what happened was what he was doing at that time is up to them. But both were definitely on their feet before the foul.

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
If you want to get Clintonesque (I'm a dem anyways) about it, it depends on what the definition of fight is. This was more of a fracas. :)

I would argue, Amare's intent was to check in and there was no fight.

Reaction score
Now, the question I have is, can a suspension be challenged, and if so, how long can it drag out? I would love for Amare to be able to appeal a suspension long enough to take care of the Spurs, and then maybe sit a game Vs. Utah. Not that I want him suspended at all, just thinking if it's possible to appeal this kind of suspension.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That definitely wasnt a fight!

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
Now, the question I have is, can a suspension be challenged, and if so, how long can it drag out? I would love for Amare to be able to appeal a suspension long enough to take care of the Spurs, and then maybe sit a game Vs. Utah. Not that I want him suspended at all, just thinking if it's possible to appeal this kind of suspension.

No appeals in the NBA. Period.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed the description to the actual wording. I think the actual wording is fact worse and works against Amare and Diaw.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the league wants a way out, they can easily say that the incident didn't rise to the "altercation" level.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not see any fight. I did see Horry slam Nash into the scorers table and Horry elbow Raja in the face.

And in regard to league rules, the intent of the rules just be examined. I don't think the intent of the rules is to allow teams to benefit from dirty deeds. S.A. should not benefit from dirty play. This is just plain not right.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Amare was on the local stations and is taking the stance that he was coming in the game. After the fouldhappened he was running to the scorers table
Looks like he could have a way out. The altercation started after he was running to check in. The basketball god were finally good to the Suns tonight as it feels like a curse was broken. Need another break and I feel since Bown was not suspened Amare and Boris need to be gvien the beneift of the doubt

Heavy D

Rookie
Reaction score
AZ Zenny

AZ Zenny, since you are going to the game, please allow me to live vicariously through you. I ask that you make life absolute hell for anyone related to the Spurs in any way. Did you see how the fans were in San Antonio to our guys? How many times did I see them yelling in our guys faces? Please retaliate in kind.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think they went to check on Nash, he was laying on his back and the Suns need to play that angle.

I would have been worried about him.

The rule sucks anyways.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I do not think Amare will be suspended. This was not a fight, this was a flagrant foul by Horry and Bell went after him and they had a little tussle, that was the end of it. Diaw and Amare were not near the players and I think it was obvious from watching the replay they were not going after anyone or looking to fight anyone.

They will not be suspended.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
I hope the league plays the he was checking in card too, but I'm afraid that maybe Dantoni ruined that with his post game comment. If he just would have said yes he was sending in amare and diaw we would deff. be okay.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
JAlen Rose and Pat Purke better be ready for Wednesday if this is the case, cause we will be counting on them!

cly2tw

Reaction score
If the league wants a way out, they can easily say that the incident didn't rise to the "altercation" level.

Exactly. I was thinking the same way. Aside from some arms checking by Bell, where was the main altercation?

Also, Amare was already out of the vicinity of the bench, was that his responsibility to recognize what constitutes an altercation and to rush back to the bench to abide the rule? So, in worst case, maybe only Diaw gets suspended.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Horry, for sure is done for Wednesday at least. And for those saying hes done for the series, remember last year when Bell clotheslined Kobe and got one game

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05