The merged "Suspension" thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The League loses either way. If they suspend Amare and Diaw, they award the behaviour of RH. If they don't suspend Amare and Diaw then they will have a hard time enforcing the rule for the rest of the playoffs. Not to mention that the rest of the league will accuse the NBA of making exceptions for the Suns.

Horry, for sure is done for Wednesday at least. And for those saying hes done for the series, remember last year when Bell clotheslined Kobe and got one game

The difference is AFTER horry thugged Nash, he followed that up with an elbow blow towards Raja's head. I would say that deserves at least a 2 game suspension.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
ESPN does not seem convinced anything would happen to Amare or Diaw. If they did, I expect they'd be hyping it all over the place. They said Horry is gone, and "Bell got tangled up with him." There is no question in anyone's mind that was an incredibly punk move by Horry, and Steve, although saying that he understands people get frustrated, said, "Hey, I was seeing stars."

I hope this blatant move by Horry DOES show the League, the refs, and everyone else the Spurs really are thugs -- it's not that Phoenix and the rest of the teams are all whiners. Horry was proclaiming his innocence, of course. Just hard playoff ball. :rolleyes:

You may live vicariously through me if I can borrow your vocal cords for work on Thursday -- otherwise, you'll have to get on E-Bay and nab some tickets and carry your own weight. I expect to be completely hoarse by halftime.

Ha Shemesh b'Shesh!

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
Upon further review, the rules leave a lot of room for interpretation.

The immediate vicinity is a judgement call.

Was there a fight? The fight never really started.

How are we sure it was really Diaw and Amare in question? Maybe it was their long lost evil twins.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
the reason they shouldnt be suspended is for one they didnt hurt anyone or get into it with horry or the spurs. also they could both say they were trying to check in or check on their best player (nash) because they didnt have a view of what happened. the suns only play an 8 man rotation, and taking to of the most important players out is just unfair and the suns shouldnt be punished for horry's mistakes.

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score
I hope the league plays the he was checking in card too, but I'm afraid that maybe Dantoni ruined that with his post game comment. If he just would have said yes he was sending in amare and diaw we would deff. be okay.
Agree with you 100%. Coach could have quipped something useful to affirm Stat's remarks later. Instead he buries the team with his defeatist statement.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I think they'll get Diaw but not Amare.

Wait and see, though, I guess.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Please refer to Defendants' Exhibit A, attached hereto and incorporated by reference for all purposes:

"It'd be dumb as all get-out."

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They should not be suspended because there was no fight. No fight no rule about not leaving the bench. No punches were thrown. No rules broken.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I don't see how you can call it a fight, or "altercation", when nobody threw a punch and nobody was ejected (other than Horry, and that was for the flagrant). Raja was given a T for yelling some choice words or taunting Horry, but that stuff happens all the time.

It's not like the Carmelo game against the Knicks--that was a fight! Plus, the coaches had control of the situation and kept Amare and Boris in the vicinity of the bench.

No way can you suspend these guys for this, not even in the regular season let alone the playoffs. It didn't turn into anything. However, Big Cheap Shot Bob has to sit a game for the hit on Nash.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know, on second thought, why would they be suspended at all? The rule doesn't apply, because there was no fight. It was merely a friendly peaceful gathering of players from both teams near the sideline to discuss the events that transpired during the course of the game. Amare and Diaw felt left out and wanted to join in, but they were politely asked not to participate. :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does a flagrant 2 automatically carry a suspension? Unless it does, I'm going to go ahead and predict no suspensions for anyone, not even Horry. To be consistent, the league will have to say that there was no "altercation" and that the in-game penalties were sufficient to deal with the incident. All necessary punishments have already been handed out, so we start Game 5 with clean slates all around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a flagrant 2 automatically carry a suspension? Unless it does, I'm going to go ahead and predict no suspensions for anyone, not even Horry. To be consistent, the league will have to say that there was no "altercation" and that the in-game penalties were sufficient to deal with the incident. All necessary punishments have already been handed out, so we start Game 5 with clean slates all around.

GOD I HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They did not get close to the altercation, if there was one, and did not interact with any players on the opposite team. The incident happened in the immediate vicinity of where players go when they check into the game. There is a legitimate reason for them to be there.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
not sure how you can that wasn't an altercation between bell & horry (horry was tossed and bell picked up a T) - if the league keeps the rule as it always has then there will be suspensions all around - i belive a flagrant 2 carries an automatic game

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You know I just watched ESPN and they barely mentioned Stoudemire/Diaw coming off the bench. Those damn tnt bastards blew this up like the Kennedy Assasination, ernie johnson/kenny smith may have cost us.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
doesn't matter if they were involved or not - i've seen players suspended for taking 1 step forward off the bench to get a look at what was going on and get hit

the bench is enclosed by those lines you see by the coaches - to the side of that and the out of bounds line on the court - you leave that box in an altercation and you get suspended - not the biggest fan of having the rule so black and white - but that's how they've always called it

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the league will want the series to go seven, and will probably have amare sit out a game. Then a pro-suns officiating game in game 6...then let it be well officiated in game 7.

/league bias for ratings rants

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Typically the league will suspend for one game on a flagrant 2. I can't remember one in the past two years that didn't.
It is their history in the playoffs and they are pretty consistent with that.

As for the altercation, Just the flagrant 2 and the players coming together like that is technically an altercation.

I think Stoudemire will probably be suspended because he came out on the court but Diaw never left the sideline.

Plus it would totally fit the mold here. Spurs player commits a "dirty" play and the Spurs end up benefiting from it.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Plus it would totally fit the mold here. Spurs player commits a "dirty" play and the Spurs end up benefiting from it.

this rule often works that way - the team that gets the cheapshot often has more shockwaves on the bench - look back at one of the biggest playoff examples of his when charlie ward mixed it up with PJ Brown

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05