The NFL Distributes List of Head Coaching Candidates

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
As reported on Pro Football Talk:

According to former NFL executive Mike Lombardi, the list consists of Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel, Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards, Saints assistant head coach and tight ends coach Dan Campbell, Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub, Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter and Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur.

* Notice that there are no current Cardinals' coaches included on this list. Hmmm. Harold Goodwin has garnered some interest the past year or two---and the above list is pre-dominantly white. While I think the Cardinals need to hire beyond the current coaching staff, Goodwin deserves mention.

* Why is the NFL putting out this list?

* Imo, there are some conspicuous omissions here: (1) John Fassel (Rams' STC); (2) Wade Phillips (Rams' DC); (3) Steve Spagnuolo (Giants' DC); (4) Frank Reich (Eagles' OC); (5) Matt Cavanaugh (Redskins' OC); (6) Greg Manusky (Redskins' DC); (7) Teryl Austin (Lions' DC); (8) Mike Shula (Panthers' OC); (9) Pete Carmichael (Saints' OC); (10) Harold Goodwin (Cardinals' OC); (11) Darrell Bevell (Seahawks' OC); (12) Tom Cable (Seahawks' OLC)...and that's just the NFC. Of this secondary NFC list i like John Fassel and Frank Reich. On the NFL list, I like Nagy, McDaniels, Vrabel...and most of all, Shurmur.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was also wondering why the NFL is putting out this list. Anybody know why?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Goodwin deserves to be an OL coach. It is malpractice to mention Goodwin as a HC candidate. The potential list is weak outside of the top 3-4 candidates.

I agree with Joe Banner

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shurmur & Wilks the only ones I like, tbh

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh McDaniels is the guy for me. He got humbled the first go around and IMO needed it. I think he is the guy to get now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Matt Patricia is the best on this list.

He is definitely smart, but the question is does he have the organizational knowledge to be a head coach?

He has also grown up in the Belicheck bubble and a few coaches from that tree have struggled once they left.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that Rob Chudzinski has become a leper. Getting fired after 1 year in Brownsville should not disqualify a guy from getting another gig. Maybe he gets the Colts job when Pagano gets fired. He is Andy Luck's OC.

Mike Shula doesn't get a mention either. He has done an efficient job with the Panthers. Of course there is Chucky.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kevin Sumlin gets an interview from the college ranks. Jim Harbaugh needs to come back to the NFL. A guy who would have a chance to be a college to NFL jumper would be Art Briles, but since he has become a pariah that ain't gonna happen.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why a franchise should hire Goodwin?
They did spend ton if money and high draft pick and wei still have one of the worst offensive line in the NFL

I think he is an average OL coach and like offensive lineman, they are hard to find. keep him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I do not think Josh McDaniels has the gravitas of a HC. He's a superb OC and will likely stay with the Pats as long as Brady is the QB.

I'm not that sure about Matt Patricia either. I think Mike Vrabel will be the hotter candidate if a team wants tho do like the Steelers did and go with a young defensive minded HC.

The possible candidates that intrigue me the most are:

Pat Shurmur---has HC experience (in CLE, so take that as you will) and is out-foxing defenses week after week with Case Keenam at QB.

John Fassel---has the AZ connection through his dad who was a good OC here. This guy has an uncanny command of detail that gives the entire football team an edge. It would depend on whom he could bring with him as OC and DC.

Todd Hsley---AZ connection, would be a boon for Fitz at this point in his career. Took KC to the playoffs as HC before GM Scott Pioli ruined him. Plus, at KC, Haley showcased a first-rate rushing attack---see David Johnson.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
John Fassel was out of his league as a HC, I think he’s even said as much without directly saying it “I’m happy to be back with the special teams”. Watching the Rams in all or nothing didn’t inspire and confidence in him. Sure wish he was our ST coach tho, I’d double his salary and bring him in

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
John Fassel was out of his league as a HC, I think he’s even said as much without directly saying it “I’m happy to be back with the special teams”. Watching the Rams in all or nothing didn’t inspire and confidence in him. Sure wish he was our ST coach tho, I’d double his salary and bring him in
He just got a taste...a small taste, at that. It was good experience for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd look at Haley. You know he can call the plays on offense. He's probably a top three offensive mind in the league.

I worry about Keim though. He's had some success, so you know he can do the job, but he's had a bunch of failures too.