The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't see how "an abundance of caution" leads to K1 not playing in 2023.

It would depend on how he responds, honestly. Is he fighting to get on the field, still coming to the facility after he's officially shut down, engaged in meetings, etc. Is he bringing teammates to Marcos to run routes and take snaps from under center?

It would depend on my ability to trade Kyler for anything of value. You can't cut him, and you can't hold on to him with a top QB pick on the roster. If I can trade Kyler for a couple firsts, or a first and a second, then I'm truly hitting the reset button and I'll do that.

If I can't unload Kyler for a positive result, I probably trade out from #1 overall.
I’m pretty confident there are at least 10 teams that would trade for Kyler in heartbeat, giving you your 1st round at least… there were rumors before about the Vikings before and they would certainly be intriguing w the Cousins likely gone, a lot of cap and a need to keep Jefferson happy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would feel better about the future if we got a 7-8 game sample size of Kyler playing well in this offense

Gannon said Kyler will get significant playing time -- that sounds more than 2 or 3 games. 5? 7?
I would love to see more but a minimum of 2 or 3 games is needed.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m pretty confident there are at least 10 teams that would trade for Kyler in heartbeat, giving you your 1st round at least… there were rumors before about the Vikings before and they would certainly be intriguing w the Cousins likely gone, a lot of cap and a need to keep Jefferson happy.
10?

No I don't think there is that many. Certainly not that many that would give up a first with his contract.

Potential suiters are
Tennessee, Giants, New Orleans, Commanders, Falcons, Steelers, Vikings, and Patriots could in theory - but not with Belicheck

Jets if Rodgers retires I suppose.

That is better than I was thinking the market was - but most teams would prefer to go draft pick, and one of those will get Cousins

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
10?

No I don't think there is that many. Certainly not that many that would give up a first with his contract.

Potential suiters are
Tennessee, Giants, New Orleans, Commanders, Falcons, Steelers, Vikings, and Patriots could in theory - but not with Belicheck

That is better than I was thinking the market was - but most teams would prefer to go draft pick, and one of those will get Cousins
Agree to disagree… I could easily list 10. A number of those folks and others have swung a missed multiple times on draft picks. A proven commodity at QB w dare I say just as much upside as any current 24’ draft pick is worth something… you guys need to get off this contract schtick, it’s not even going to be top 10 a year from now maybe not even top 15 money 2 years from now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree to disagree… I could easily list 10. A number of those folks and others have swung a missed multiple times on draft picks. A proven commodity at QB w dare I say just as much upside as any current 24’ draft pick is worth something… you guys need to get off this contract schtick, it’s not even going to be top 10 a year from now maybe not even top 15 money 2 years from now.
That's not the point.

The point is teams would rather draft a cheap rookie for 4 years if they have any option to spend cap space on other players if they are starting over with a new qb.

For some teams they would probably rather go with a bad qb tank and wait another year to draft one that idea is so appealing.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
10?

Potential suiters are

Kyler would be a GREAT add for the Cowboys. He's never lost in that stadium. Kyler's talent + Jerry's marketing = Greatness.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's not the point.

The point is teams would rather draft a cheap rookie for 4 years if they have any option to spend cap space on other players if they are starting over with a new qb.

For some teams they would probably rather go with a bad qb tank and wait another year to draft one that idea is so appealing.
It’s not like we are talking about a 8-10 year vet here… this isn’t Geno Smith.

Pitt, Indy, Raiders, Jets (w out Rodgers) and a handful of others are viable playoff teams w Kyler… viable as could win a game or 2 in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pitt, Indy, Raiders, Jets (w out Rodgers) and a handful of others are viable playoff teams w Kyler… viable as could win a game or 2 in the playoffs.
Pipe dreams right now. He hasn't proven he can win anything in the playoffs.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pipe dreams right now. He hasn't proven he can win anything in the playoffs.
Come on dude - let’s see the kid without possibly the worst coach in history in the most kindergarten scheme in history before judging him. He has all the skills.. and even had moments w that joke of a scenario.

Funny how we have folks crying about Kylers contract when perhaps DJs extension was the worse contract on the team.. he flat out stinks! Had had 1 1/2 good years in his entire career. Prob the same people that wanted to pay a 32 year old Chandler Jones big money. It’s the same negative people over and over again within it looking at any context of this team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. When I watch the Cardinals, I imagine Murray faced with the same circumstances as Dobbs and I can't help but think this team might actually be fairly competitive with Murray out there.

Dobbs is hitting the typical back up QB wall. Sucks in the first game, surprises for a few games, then teams start to figure them out.

If Kyler plays we are at least 3-3. Pretty confident in that.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on dude - let’s see the kid without possibly the worst coach in history in the most kindergarten scheme in history before judging him. He has all the skills.. and even had moments w that joke of a scenario.

Funny how we have folks crying about Kylers contract when perhaps DJs extension was the worse contract on the team.. he flat out stinks! Had had 1 1/2 good years in his entire career. Prob the same people that wanted to pay a 32 year old Chandler Jones big money. It’s the same negative people over and over again within it looking at any context of this team.
Kyler has potential but hasn't put it together for a sustained period of time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect week 10 to be the latest Kyler returns and to get 7 games out of him in this system. Which is enough.

But even if Kyler isn't great they are going to use the "coming off injury/hasn't had the prep/still learning the system" excuse. I don't expect them to move off him next year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect week 10 to be the latest Kyler returns and to get 7 games out of him in this system. Which is enough.

But even if Kyler isn't great they are going to use the "coming off injury/hasn't had the prep/still learning the system" excuse. I don't expect them to move off him next year.
Doesn't his contract have some injury clause that basically gives him $92 million guaranteed if he comes back this season and is hurt again? That's a huge albatross around the team's neck, IMHO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't his contract have some injury clause that basically gives him $92 million guaranteed if he comes back this season and is hurt again? That's a huge albatross around the team's neck, IMHO.

That would only be a concern if they are going to move off him, but if they moved off him it would be via trade and those guarantees would get traded with him.

I don't think it's any reason not to play him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, but most large contracts have something similar. Why people talk about it is because it could prevent another team for trading for him.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would only be a concern if they are going to move off him, but if they moved off him it would be via trade and those guarantees would get traded with him.

I don't think it's any reason not to play him.
Was just wondering - if we play him and he gets hurt:

We'd owe him a guaranteed $92 million, right? And can you then trade an injured player? :shrug:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The Stillers wouldn't be in on him. They are in on Pickett and won't back off that for a few years. It's how they roll.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's an additional guarantee. According to spotrac, Kyler's salaries for 2025 and 2026 are guaranteed for injury, which totals about $46 million in salary (non-bonus).
I figured it was just guaranteeing more of his contract. It'll be interesting to see how this year unfolds. Guess we'll find out soon enough if the coach and GM are in or out on Kyler by how much he plays this season. JG says all the right things but imagine if you took over an NFL team - would you want the guy you inherited, or would you want to pick your own guy? Tough call, especially when no one knows how Kyler will look/play after his recovery from this injury...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I figured it was just guaranteeing more of his contract. It'll be interesting to see how this year unfolds. Guess we'll find out soon enough if the coach and GM are in or out on Kyler by how much he plays this season. JG says all the right things but imagine if you took over an NFL team - would you want the guy you inherited, or would you want to pick your own guy? Tough call, especially when no one knows how Kyler will look/play after his recovery from this injury...
If I'm a defensive coach I'm probably working with the guy who's magic.