Why Carolina will win. Period.

jamos14

Reaction score
Shockey was not playing 100% but he was def. a big step up from the back up tight end. Shockey had a pretty good game. 5 catches for 50 yards, a long of 21. Carolina tends to have problems with covering TE's.

I agree with some of the things hepcat is saying, however I am not near as confident (wish I was).

The key to this game is the RUN GAME. I posted this in another thread as well. Jake will not kill anyone without having a play action. It is not because he is not accurate but rather a lack of pocket presence. With a steady run game, if gives Jake an extra 1-2 seconds. This helps him tremendously. Give Steve Smith 4-6 seconds to run a route and he will usually find space to catch the ball.

Arizona must at least ATTEMPT to run the ball, otherwise it could be a long afternoon. We have a good defense and if the Cards get to be too one-dimensional it will allow our D to just rush the hell out of Warner. I think he is kind of like Jake, if he is pressured he tends to make an errant throw.

Another key is who gets the early lead. Carolina def. loves the ball control offense and wants to dominate the Time of Possession and also play field position games. If Carolina gets a 2 possession lead early, it can really hurt.

I really do wish the Cardinals luck this season!

A quick fact about Adrian Wilson (he went to my high school, HP Andrews) - He did not play football until his junior year of high school and was offered a full scholarship to NC State the same season.

Go Panthers!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The number one problem the Cardinals have is playing on the road.

You can see the team is in fact making progress on that because division foes don't present the most problems, however other teams they aren't used to they lay eggs still.

Especially the East coast, traveling that far almost assures a loss to a quality team.

The number two problem they have is beating any team that has a really great passing game.

Carolina's run game is the least of our problems, we have no problems with the run game when healthy and with Watson in there we will not lose because of the run game.

We will probably lose due to turnovers and a flat offense more than anything, after that we might also get burnt by Steve Smith, he usually is good for one ridiculously long td against us.

I do not fear Carolina's run game at all, I respect that it's good but honestly it's about Carolina's pass defense and offense against us, if good Kurt shows up for some odd reason from the get go we'll win in a walk.

It's outside, on the east coast so the odds of that are slim and so we'll probably lose.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
I was just pointing out that what the Panthers do is no mystery, the key is they execute it well. That's why when injuries lead to a bad year, they bounce back the next year, they've bought into the system Fox uses and it works. The Cards are doing the same thing with Whiz, the players have bought in and it's working.

you're essentially throwing out Tampa Bay because of 3 turnovers and Gruden's familiarity with Carolina. We can essentially throw out the Jets because we had SEVEN turnovers in that game and were still somewhat in the game in the 2nd half for awhile. Everyone knows how to beat us too, pressure Warner and he'll turn it over, the problem is it's not always that easy to do without exposing your defense to big plays.

In the NFL there are no secrets, the Cards have had 2 weeks to prepare they're not going to be surprised because the Panthers aren't in the division.

It'll be a tough game largely because it's a road game and we've struggled on the road. If this game was in Arizona I'd almost guarantee you the Cards would win, they simply play better(9-2 under Whisenhunt) at home.

I think the Cards know exactly what they're going to face it is just a matter of execution. If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we'll be in the game, but you just never know with this team, and in particular Warner.

Sorry I missed your post earlier. Agreed that it'd be a whole different ball game if Arizona was playing at home. But don't forget, one of those loses at home came against the Panthers ;). The reason I throw out the Tampa game is for all those reasons. You could throw out the Jets game too, that was just an awful performance of not getting your team in gear before the second half. Carolina just blew it on special teams, gave up a blocked punt on their first possession for a TD and never recovered. They did the same thing against the Bears, but that game was in Carolina and the Carolina D shut down the Bears O late in the game and somehow mustered a comeback. Lot of that had to do with Jonathan Stewart catching fire that game. I wish I could find a highlight of him trucking over Lance Briggs, or one of those big Bears LBs. I think it's been pretty much agreed that this game might be decided in the first quarter...or might go right down to the final whistle. I'm hoping for the latter!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Where the hell did all of these Panther fans come from??? We didn't see a single Cowqueer fan a couple of weeks ago

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
Where the hell did all of these Panther fans come from??? We didn't see a single Cowqueer fan a couple of weeks ago

Take it as a compliment. We took the time to come over to your forum and talk straight no nonsense football with yall. Panthers fans generally have class. And from what I've seen, so do Cardinals fans.

TJ

Reaction score
Take it as a compliment. We took the time to come over to your forum and talk straight no nonsense football with yall. Panthers fans generally have class. And from what I've seen, so do Cardinals fans.

You guys seem OK with me. I switched from the azcardinals.com forum to here because of the number of obnoxious trolls on that site. I don't mind the opposition coming over to our forum, as long as they are respectful and insightful.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Shockey was not playing 100% but he was def. a big step up from the back up tight end. Shockey had a pretty good game. 5 catches for 50 yards, a long of 21. Carolina tends to have problems with covering TE's.

I agree with some of the things hepcat is saying, however I am not near as confident (wish I was).

The key to this game is the RUN GAME. I posted this in another thread as well. Jake will not kill anyone without having a play action. It is not because he is not accurate but rather a lack of pocket presence. With a steady run game, if gives Jake an extra 1-2 seconds. This helps him tremendously. Give Steve Smith 4-6 seconds to run a route and he will usually find space to catch the ball.

Arizona must at least ATTEMPT to run the ball, otherwise it could be a long afternoon. We have a good defense and if the Cards get to be too one-dimensional it will allow our D to just rush the hell out of Warner. I think he is kind of like Jake, if he is pressured he tends to make an errant throw.

Another key is who gets the early lead. Carolina def. loves the ball control offense and wants to dominate the Time of Possession and also play field position games. If Carolina gets a 2 possession lead early, it can really hurt.

I really do wish the Cardinals luck this season!

A quick fact about Adrian Wilson (he went to my high school, HP Andrews) - He did not play football until his junior year of high school and was offered a full scholarship to NC State the same season.

Go Panthers!

Welcome Jamos. Any early idea on whether Ryan Kalil and the rookie right tackle whose name escapes will be back from injury?

jamos14

Reaction score
The RT is Jeff Otah. As of know, they are still listed as day to day. Knowing John Fox that wont change much until Friday when the official injury report comes out.

Otah has been out 3 weeks now. Kalil just missed his 2nd straight game.

Otah-sprained ankle

Kalil-sprained knee

Who knows when they come back? John Fox is mysterious about injuries.

BTW, this forum is by far the most hospitable I have been on from opposing teams. I am glad that there are no Panther's trolls running around acting like idiots and embarrassing our fan base.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona must at least ATTEMPT to run the ball, otherwise it could be a long afternoon.
They'll try, but I doubt they have much success. Where I think they will have relative success is the short passing game--and that may take the place of the run game.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Gore was held to under 100, even with 1 really long one. Granted, they all count, but that long one skews the stats a little. (EDIT: I looked it up: Gore had 96 yards, 41 of which came on one run).

Other than that they held Portis to around 60 and T Jones to under 50.

So, I think they've still been pretty stout against the run on the road.

Don't forget that the one long run gore had also contained the biggest holding penalty that wasn't called this year.

Run Defense, Pass Offense, And the re-integration of Q. That is the key.

I really don't think the CB's on any team can contain the physicality of our wr's.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carolina is 5-2 lifetime against Arizona. The last time Arizona beat Carolina was October 6, 2002 @ Carolina, 16-13. Jake Plummer engineered a 10 point rally in the fourth to win it late. Since then, Carolina is 4-0 vs. the Cardinals. 2003: 20-17 win for Carolina in the desert during the Superbowl run year. 2004: 35-10 thumping after Carolina started 1-7. 2005: 24-20 late game comeback by Delhomme to squeak out a win in Carolina. 2006: Last year Carolina and Arizona didn't play. And most Cardinals fans probably remember old man Testaverde burning the Cardinals with one throw to win it. It's been a pretty one sided matchup recently, but the Cardinals have the best squad they've had in decades this year. A potent offense with a hungry oppurtunistic defense. But this thread is about why Carolina will win.

It's all about the running game. Carolina wins when they run the ball. Delhomme needs a running game to be effective. He feeds off play action and having more defenders in the box devoted to stopping the run. That opens up the pass and usually leaves Steve Smith some room to get open and make a play. The Panthers have two prolific running backs in Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams. Watch Stewart during the game. He never goes down on the first hit. And to keep him fresh, D-Will provides a nice change of pace. The only team this year that effectively stopped Carolina's running game was Minnesota. That game should be the game Arizona is watching to figure out how to beat Carolina. The Tampa game is a poor example. Tampa is a division foe that plays Carolina twice a year and knows them really well. Garcia has never lost to the Panthers (on any team). Carolina got down in the first 3 minutes of the game on a blocked punt and had to pass to catch up, which Delhomme is poor at and led to 3 INTs and big loss. I don't count on Arizona being able to do what Tampa did, especially since Arizona isn't as familiar with the Carolina gameplan. But the game on Sunday will come down to how well Arizona can shut down the Panthers ground game. Putting pressure on Delhomme won't be enough to win this game, and neither will a prolific passing game. If any of you watched Carolina shut down New Orleans top ranked passing attack this past Sunday, it might be foreshadowing what is to come for Arizona. If Carolina gets up early, there is no way Arizona wins. Carolina has one of the top ranked pass defenses and a stout run defense. This game will be won by the Cardinals defense. If the Cards can stop the Panthers running attack, force Delhomme to pass, then put pressure on him, Arizona has a shot at pulling the upset. Otherwise, this could be a blowout. But here's to a good, injury free game. GO PANTHERS!!!

I respect your opinion and I will agree this is a very tough game for us. But nowhere in your post did you mentioned just how in the hell the Panthers will stop the most prolific offense in the NFC?
Just how effective will your running game be if we rack up 30 points, which by the way is our average? We as an offense have shown an ability to simply play keep away at times with 11,12 and 15 play drives that just suck the life out of opposing defenses.
I'll tell you the REAL key to this game.
Which Warner shows up? The good Warner or the bad Warner? If it's the good Warner you guys will have your hands full.
Period!

Last edited:

pnthrfan

Reaction score
I respect your opinion and I will agree this is a very tough game for us. But nowhere in your post did you mentioned just how in the hell the Panthers will stop the most prolific offense in the NFC?
Just how effective will your running game be if we rack up 30 points, which by the way is our average? We as an offense have shown an ability to simply play keep away at times with 11,12 and 15 play drives that just suck the life out of opposing defenses.
I'll tell you the REAL key to this game.
Which Warner shows up? The good Warner or the bad Warner? If it's the good Warner you guys will have your hands full.
Period!

I think that the Panthers will use the same formula against you guys, that they did last week against the NFC #1 passing yards per game (310), and NFC #1 total yards per game (402) Saints. Foxball is no secret, and it's no secret that sometimes it doesn't work. It's all a matter of execution. You guys hate road trips, and especially coming to the East coast, We're playing lights out at home, are all to our advantage. Hopfully we take those advantages and go in to our bye with a 6-2 record. Good luck. GO PANTHERS!!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the Panthers will use the same formula against you guys, that they did last week against the NFC #1 passing yards per game (310), and NFC #1 total yards per game (402) Saints. Foxball is no secret, and it's no secret that sometimes it doesn't work. It's all a matter of execution. You guys hate road trips, and especially coming to the East coast, We're playing lights out at home, are all to our advantage. Hopfully we take those advantages and go in to our bye with a 6-2 record. Good luck. GO PANTHERS!!!

Last year you guys sucked at home going 2-5. We'll try our best to bring you back to your old ways.:)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Riiiight. The Cards don't have a "real" run defense.

You say you're not here to talk smack, but your posts reek of it. Not many here are even saying the Cards should win, yet you're continuing to throw down a-hole comments like the one above.

I'm usually all for opposition posters, but personally, you're testing my patience.

My dude Pariah. :cheers: That's why I love ya man. (In a non brokeback kind of way of course) You took the words right out of my yapper.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The cardinlas haven't allowed a guy to run for 100+y yards since week 12 of last year. That's 11 straight games. Now,Carolina likely won't have a 100 yard rusher because they split carries. BUt, 11 games without allowing a 100 yard game is pretty good. Especially when you consider they have seen Gore, Portis, Lynch, Barber,Jackson,Jones,and Lewis is that stretch of games.

I think it will be a close game and i like Carolina's team. They have 2 of my favorite players from college in Williams and Chris Gamble on their team but, if either team was going to lay a beating on the other in a blowout,i would say the Cards have a better chance of that then the other way around. Only because they have a much more high-powered offense. This is a big game for the Cards as well. They may just be on their way to an elite team and we don't know it yet. They have smacked around some pretty good teams.You figure they'll take care of the Rames, so a win here and they are 6-2 against one of the better schedules. Carolina has a good team but they have been very fortunate in their wins against SD and Chicago the first 2 weeks. I give them credit for doing what is necessary,even moreso with Smith out, but if those games go the other way they start 0-3 and probably go down the drain.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lights out at home against the Chiefs, Falcons, and Saints. Good job.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score

First I'm not sure we win this game, that being said NO has nowhere near the WR corp we have, not even close. Fitz doesn't even have to be open and he catches everything. IF Pro Bowl Warner shows up, it could be close, if fumblitis Warner shows up, we're playing catch up and probably lose by at least 10

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Would the Cardinals have held LT, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner and Larry Johnson all under 100 yards in their first 5 games?? Maybe...but I guarantee that the Cardinals wouldn't be 5-2 if they played the Panthers schedule so far.

Well, I guarantee the Cards would be 7-0 if they played your schedule thus far. So what?

Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one, and your stinks!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hepcat said:
I guarantee that the Cardinals wouldn't be 5-2 if they played the Panthers schedule so far.
Wait, so are you predicting the Cards are going to be 5-2? Sweet!

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
IF Pro Bowl Warner shows up, it could be close, if fumblitis Warner shows up, we're playing catch up and probably lose by at least 10

I think Wis calls a conservative game in the first half, or until the team gets down by more than one score.

I dont think Wis wants Warner dropping back 20 times in the first half against a very good pass rushing team. I expect a plan similiar to the Buffalo game where passes are designed to get the ball out of Warner's hands fairly quickly.

I think Wis is planning on leaning on his defense for most of the game, and then letting his offense win it in the last 20 minutes of the game.

TJ

Reaction score
Lights out at home against the Chiefs, Falcons, and Saints. Good job.

Chiefs suck. Falcons are playing with house money and I guarantee that house of cards will be crumbling down soon and the Saints are one-dimensional. This is going to be a different look for the Panthers. "Wow, this team is good on both sides of the ball!"

pnthrfan

Reaction score
Chiefs suck. Falcons are playing with house money and I guarantee that house of cards will be crumbling down soon and the Saints are one-dimensional. This is going to be a different look for the Panthers. "Wow, this team is good on both sides of the ball!"

Yea, well 3.2 yards per carry average isn't scary to say the least. That pretty much makes you guys one-dimensional. Your passing game is ranked just behind the one-dimensional Saints. They only got 231 passing yards last week against us. Some of those yards were after we had put the game away. GO PANTHERS!!!