Will the Suns do the right thing?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In my opinion there is ONLY ONE option for this team and that is to purge the roster now.

The season is short. The schedule is tight which works against us.

We are in a situation where we can create major cap space in 2012.

What we must do until 2012 is:

Amnesty Childress in 2012 unless we can manage to get him traded for a 2012 expiring deal if he plays well.
Amnesty Warrick in 2012 unless we can manage to get him traded for a 2012 expiring deal.

Scenario: Trade Gortat and Childress for an expiring contract and amnesty Warrick.

Keep Nash and let him expire or trade him for an expiring contract to a contender plus a 2012 and 2014 first round pick.
The prefered option would be to trade because we need to tank the season.
Keep Hill and let him expire or trade him for an expiring contract to a contender plus a 2012 pick.

Scenario: Trade Nash to a contender for an expiring and 2012 and 2014 first round pick. Trade Grant Hill and Frye to a contender for an expiring and 2012 pick.

The result of these moves would be that in 2012 our roster would be:

Markieff Morris, Jared Dudley, Top 5 pick, 2x #20-30 2012 pick, top 5 2nd round pick 2012, 1x 2014 pick plus all of our own future picks. That is about $10M only comitted in salaries which should be enough for 2, actually 3 max players.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the amnesty a one time deal anyway?

Yes, but of course the team still has to pay the player but the player's salary would not count towards the CAP as I understand it. It would be cheaper but less effective to amnesty a lower salary player. I think Sarver is less likely to eat a larger contract at least this season.

I think slinslin is worried that the Suns might amnesty a smaller contract like Pietrus and use up the option.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Gortat is 27, and since we won't be relevant again for 5 or 6 years, I'd be ok with trading him. Only if it gets us someone like Anthony Davis though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion there is ONLY ONE option for this team and that is to purge the roster now.

The season is short. The schedule is tight which works against us.

We are in a situation where we can create major cap space in 2012.

What we must do until 2012 is:

Amnesty Childress in 2012 unless we can manage to get him traded for a 2012 expiring deal if he plays well.
Amnesty Warrick in 2012 unless we can manage to get him traded for a 2012 expiring deal.

Scenario: Trade Gortat and Childress for an expiring contract and amnesty Warrick.

Keep Nash and let him expire or trade him for an expiring contract to a contender plus a 2012 and 2014 first round pick.
The prefered option would be to trade because we need to tank the season.
Keep Hill and let him expire or trade him for an expiring contract to a contender plus a 2012 pick.

Scenario: Trade Nash to a contender for an expiring and 2012 and 2014 first round pick. Trade Grant Hill and Frye to a contender for an expiring and 2012 pick.

The result of these moves would be that in 2012 our roster would be:

Markieff Morris, Jared Dudley, Top 5 pick, 2x #20-30 2012 pick, top 5 2nd round pick 2012, 1x 2014 pick plus all of our own future picks. That is about $10M only comitted in salaries which should be enough for 2, actually 3 max players.

Wow...lockout barely over and your already trading Gortat again. LOL.

Where is your boy in all this? Where is Lopez? I noticed you left him on this roster. Not that I am surprised.

Also, nobody is going to give us there 2012 and 2014 first round pick for Nash. Even if you could convince a contender to do so, those picks would be bottom of the barrel and would not matter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gortat is 27, and since we won't be relevant again for 5 or 6 years, I'd be ok with trading him. Only if it gets us someone like Anthony Davis though.

Teams rebuild in today's NBA in two years. Trading Gortat would be absolutely foolish.

I wait 30 years for the Suns to get a big guy that plays like a true center and guys want to trade him immediately. Good grief.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
lol!

good example. Miami never rebuild and if you think they did than they did it since their championship in 2006 which is 4 years since the big 3 summer. Horrible example especially since Miami even had a #2 pick in the meantime.

If you want to go that route you have to give up Gortat to get rid off 2 of Warrick/Childress/Frye for expiring contracts and amnesty the one that is left over. Because if the Suns do that they have nearly $50 Million caproom in 2012, a likely top 5 pick after this season and Nash might even resign.

That's the Miami Heat rebuild for you. Gortat is a good starting center, on a good contract that is rare but he is not a special or irreplaceable center. He is among a dozen centers that figure to come after the top 3.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Boston did pretty good one offseason....

And they were rebuilding since 1992 before that. They managed more than 40 wins just 3 times in the 15 years before that one offseason.

Doubt that is rebuilding on the short when first they had to acquire Al Jefferson, a top 5 pick, Perkins, Rondo etc..

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is a good center, on a good contract so he is valueable. But he is not a special player, not an allstar. If you can get a good deal that helps us rebuilding you do it.

Sounds reasonable to me!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol!

Gortat is a good starting center, on a good contract that is rare but he is not a special or irreplaceable center. He is among a dozen centers that figure to come after the top 3.

OK....shocked you even said that......but I have a question. Look how long it took us to get Gortat.

What makes you think we can get another quality caliber starting center considering how long it took us to wind up with him?

Good starting Centers are hard to come by in the NBA. I still think it's stupid to get rid of him because it's easy to say oh we can go out and get another quality starting center. If it was that easy the Suns would have had a bunch by now.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not long considering we had Shaq before and he was better.

What makes you think having a decent starting center means anything if you do not even have 1 player remotely close to making the allstar game?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
OK....shocked you even said that......but I have a question. Look how long it took us to get Gortat.

What makes you think we can get another quality caliber starting center considering how long it took us to wind up with him?

Good starting Centers are hard to come by in the NBA. I still think it's stupid to get rid of him because it's easy to say oh we can go out and get another quality starting center. If it was that easy the Suns would have had a bunch by now.
Having moved to the Valley thirty-three years ago, I know how right you are. Neil Walk has been our only legitimate ongoing starting Center.

He started 81 or 82 games each season from '69-'74. I first visited Phoenix in 1970 after his first season and have been following the Suns every since.

Although I have been very vocal about the Suns never taking that final step to become a post-season powerhouse, I know it is not about to happen in the next few seasons.

At least let me enjoy watching our team with a full-fledged starting Center for awhile. It has been a long time coming.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not long considering we had Shaq before and he was better.

Not long? We had Shaq for a short time and unless you have a short memory we have had 2 legit centers in how many years???

Should I go down the list of draft picks the Suns have made in the last 25 years to fill that gap? Again...how long have the Suns been looking at a long term solution at Center?

What makes you think having a decent starting center means anything if you do not even have 1 player remotely close to making the allstar game?

The fact that if you have a legit piece on your team, you don't give that up in the hopes that you MIGHT get one down the road. The fact that the center position has been one of the biggest challenges this organization has had in the past 25 years and history proves when you get one you hold on to it. The fact that you build on pieces you have versus keeping dead weight around like Lopez or pray you get lucky in the draft or FA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to trade Gortat. I like watching him play and I don't think he's reached his ceiling. But if someone comes calling for him and offers us the right deal, I'd certainly consider it. With a solid center, you're never too far from being at least a competitive team. We're a long way from being a Championship contender though so if someone makes us an offer that moves us in that direction, I'm all for it.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have no desire to trade Gortat. I like watching him play and I don't think he's reached his ceiling. But if someone comes calling for him and offers us the right deal, I'd certainly consider it. With a solid center, you're never too far from being at least a competitive team. We're a long way from being a Championship contender though so if someone makes us an offer that moves us in that direction, I'm all for it.

Steve
You say that with a solid Center, we can be a competitive team.

But then you say you'd give him up to become a championship contender.

How are you going to become a championship contender without a solid Center?

The Suns have tried that for decades, and those decades have proven that it just doesn't work. Our longest tenured Center weighed 212 lbs. Zero championships in 43 years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake