News of the week. 07/15/24-07/21/24

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why the Colts are the 2024 preseason darlings? I like Anthony Richardson more than a lot of the haters here, but he only started a handful of games last year and didn’t even finish a number of those.

I think it's pretty simple and reporters like simple. They went 9-8 with Minshew at QB. 7-6 of which were on Minshew.

Getting Richardson back plus 2nd year QB bump plus 2nd year coaching bump, players all more comfortable with the scheme, and added Latu and AD Mitchell, they kept all their core free agents and added whatever they get from the rest of the draft class.

Easy to see 9-8 as their floor. PLus those same guys seem to thing the Jags have plateaued and the Titans are an unknown with new coach and Levis at QB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Interesting: one of the guys noted that he thought the Cardinals' lack of pre-snap motion was a "Kliff thing", but now thinks it's a "Kyler thing". The Cardinals were last in the league in pre-snap motion from week 10 onward. Clip starts here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He goes on to say that some QBs prefer that as they can identify the post-snap picture better vs. a static O rather than against motion. "A lot of Air Raid QBs are like that. Aaron Rodgers was like that for a while in GB."
That is just not good.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From Week 10, how did the Offense rank? I see above that Stout said, just not good. But how "just not good" were we rated/ranked?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I meant not good that Kyler doesn't seem to want to play with motion in the offense, as this limits the offense.
Kollman pointed out that Rodgers didn't use much motion for a lot of his Green Bay career.

I'd prefer to use every avenue to exploit a defense, but it isn't 100% necessary.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple and reporters like simple. They went 9-8 with Minshew at QB. 7-6 of which were on Minshew.

Getting Richardson back plus 2nd year QB bump plus 2nd year coaching bump, players all more comfortable with the scheme, and added Latu and AD Mitchell, they kept all their core free agents and added whatever they get from the rest of the draft class.

Easy to see 9-8 as their floor. PLus those same guys seem to thing the Jags have plateaued and the Titans are an unknown with new coach and Levis at QB.
Maybe, but they also played the NFC South (2-2) and AFC North (2-2) on the way, plus the Pats and Raiders. Just three of their wins were by a TD or more, and they were 6-3 overall in games decided by a TD or less.

Those aren’t sticky results

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe, but they also played the NFC South (2-2) and AFC North (2-2) on the way, plus the Pats and Raiders. Just three of their wins were by a TD or more, and they were 6-3 overall in games decided by a TD or less.

Those aren’t sticky results

Their schedule ain't much this year either. Teams I expect to be worse than them are Giants, Titans x 2, Broncos, Pats, Cardinals, Steelers, and there's big question marks over the Bears, Jets, Vikings and Jags x 2.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why isn’t it good?
This is one of the overblown topics. I’ll go further and predict that the use of motion will less and less define anything about the success of an offense.

As the video explains, motion helps wide receivers get open without having to win head to head and obviously it can put a defense out of alignment where you're either moving a defender in man coverage to open up space, or overloading one side to the point where a linebacker may have to pick up a receiver.

Lots of advantages to motion and no disadvantages, unless your QB struggles to read defenses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the video explains, motion helps wide receivers get open without having to win head to head and obviously it can put a defense out of alignment where you're either moving a defender in man coverage to open up space, or overloading one side to the point where a linebacker may have to pick up a receiver.

Lots of advantages to motion and no disadvantages, unless your QB struggles to read defenses.
There are disadvantages. When motion is used, it leads to false start penalties unless it is drilled into a team. This team already struggles at times with penalties.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score

Yeah I’m pretty sure defenses are on to this. Defenses know exactly what to do with motion.
Motion also helps the defense to not have to contain a receiver off the line. If you have receivers like Wilson and MHJ you are doing the defense a favor by motioning them.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kollman pointed out that Rodgers didn't use much motion for a lot of his Green Bay career.

I'd prefer to use every avenue to exploit a defense, but it isn't 100% necessary.
Peyton didn’t like it either.

Peyton didn’t want anybody to move,” Greg said. “He wanted Marvin Harrison on the right and Reggie Wayne on the left, and that’s how they were going to play. He knew where the defense was, and he could figure out the defense.”

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guessing Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, & Dak Prescott can’t read defenses.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes just lining up and winning matchups is perfect.
Yep... and if you want to use motion, you have to have that perfect slot player. Then you have to know how to use him.

I don't think we have that on our roster to use motion like the Rams or Dolphins do.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I recall Someone once mentioned that looking at how opponent's defense reacts to your motion also help the QB diagnose their defense scheme and assignment. Guess It did not work for Kyler that way.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall Someone once mentioned that looking at how opponent's defense reacts to your motion also help the QB diagnose their defense scheme and assignment. Guess It did not work for Kyler that way.
You can. Typically if you see multiple people shifting when a player is in motion, most likely they are playing some sort of zone defense.
If a single player moves along with, they are in man to man.

There are obviously nuisances if they are playing some sort of man-zone hybrid for example...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is motion pre-snap and having motion when the ball is snapped. Motion pre-snap is generally used by QBs to diagnose the defense. Motion during the snap is generally used to out-leverage the defense or put them on their heels.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is motion pre-snap and having motion when the ball is snapped. Motion pre-snap is generally used by QBs to diagnose the defense. Motion during the snap is generally used to out-leverage the defense or put them on their heels.
Yes and also so the QB can know if they are in zone or man to man