2024 Free Agency thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BS.
Asking someone to put a name to it is simply asking what they see/saw as a solution rather than just emo dumping negativity on the board.
"Come with solutions" has always been the right thing to do. It actually adds to the conversation and elicits buy in to agreeing on a solution.
BS.
It's a silly trail to go down. It's trying to set a poster who doesn't know the rest of the league's players in total depth up for a fail.
"Name the players you'd bring in!"
"Well, I don't know a ton of them, but--"
"THEN YOU CAN HAVE NO VALID OPINION."

Sheer stupidity and a terrible argument. "Come with solutions" like a pro GM or NFL personnel expert or you aren't allowed an opinion is just dumb and disingenuous.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No big free agents. The free agents were mostly cheap type deals like Monti is doing.

Looks like a list of Monti free agents.

I agree that as bad as the 9ers roster was when Shanny and Lynch got there, the Cardinals were much worse.

The glow of the 2021 was long gone and the roster looked pretty damn ugly because player development just didn't work out, but that was a Hallmark of most the Keim era.

I think this will be a very telling year for Monti. The team is now much younger than it was under probably all of the Keim era. There are some intriguing blend of young players, but at this point it's mostly intrigue.
In 2017 Shanahan brought in two QBs, a FB (I think the highest paid FB), two starting WRs, a starting LG and a starting DT in FA/Trades. That was year 1.

Jimmy was traded for and then give a 5 year, 137.5 mil deal.

Kyle Juszczyk was signed to a 4 year, 21 mil deal to make him the highest paid FB.

Pierre Garcon was signed to a 2 yr, 22.7 mil dollar deal.

Marquise Goodwin was give a 3 year, 14 mil deal.

Laken Tomlinson was traded for and then given a 3 year, 16.5 mil extension.

Earl Mitchell was signed to be a start DT and was given 4yrs, 16 mil.

Krang...you are just 100% incorrect that the Cardinals did anything similar in year 1 as the 49ers did. And that was back in 2017. The cap in 2017 was 167 mil. The cap in 2023 was 224.8 mil. A 34.6% increase.

In today's dollars,

Garropolo was given a 37 mil deal per year.
Jusz was given a 7 mil per year deal.
Garcon a 15.27 mil deal.
Goodwin a 6.28 mil deal.
Tomlinson a 7.4 mil deal.
Earl a 5.38 mil deal.

In year 1. Monti did nothing like that.

White got 2 years, 10 mil.
Fro 2yrs, 4.6 mil.

Those lists are just not the same.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In 2018, 49ers signed Richard Sherman to a 3 year deal of an adjusted amount of 14.77 mil per year over three years.

They also signed Weston Richburg in FA to a 5 yr, 47.5 mil deal. Adjusted to the 44% increase in cap change between 2018 and 2024, that equates to a 13.68 mil per year deal.

So the year after trading for and signing 6 starters and spending 78.3 mil (in adjusted dollars), the 49ers went out and signed two more starters costing 28.45 mil (in adjusted dollars). 106.75 mil (in adjusted dollars) over the first two years for 8 starters.

Again, very different from what Monti has done.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2017 Shanahan brought in two QBs, a FB (I think the highest paid FB), two starting WRs, a starting LG and a starting DT in FA/Trades. That was year 1.

Kyle Juszczyk was signed to a 4 year, 21 mil deal to make him the highest paid FB.

Krang...you are just 100% incorrect that the Cardinals did anything similar in year 1 as the 49ers did. And that was back in 2017. The cap in 2017 was 167 mil. The cap in 2023 was 224.8 mil. A 34.6% increase.

In today's dollars,

Garcon a 15.27 mil deal.
Goodwin a 6.28 mil deal.
Earl a 5.38 mil deal.

Fro 2yrs, 4.6 mil.

Dude… don’t bother. I listed all of the above probably six months ago and was blown off as just another hater, despite the demonstrable facts you just laid out again.

Since Shanny got to the the Niners they were aggressive, using trade, FA and the draft to build their team. Doesn’t mean all the moves in trade or FA were successful, but their mode of operation was decidedly NOT limited to basically only using the draft to build the team.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dude… don’t bother. I listed all of the above probably six months ago and got the usual LOLs, or just flat out ignoring of the obvious difference in the Niners approach their first two seasons versus the Cards.

Since Shanny got to the the Niners they were aggressive, using trade, FA and the draft to build their team. Doesn’t mean all the moves in trade or FA were successful, but their mode of operation was decidedly NOT limited to basically only using the draft to build the team.
Remember when Krang was Just Asking Questions about whether Shanahan was even good after they lost the super bowl?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when Krang was Just Asking Questions about whether Shanahan was even good after they lost the super bowl?
Eh… trying not to engage in call out culture on the board as much.

And we’ve all been proven wrong about any myriad of things. I just don’t get people sticking with a certain narrative even after facts are clearly laid out to the contrary, multiple times over the course of the offseason, often by multiple posters.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

In today's dollars,

Garcon a 15.27 mil deal.
Goodwin a 6.28 mil deal.
Earl a 5.38 mil deal.

Fro 2yrs, 4.6 mil.

Who on that list is a big free agent?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Eh… trying not to engage in call out culture on the board as much.

And we’ve all been proven wrong about any myriad of things. I just don’t get people sticking with a certain narrative even after facts are clearly laid out to the contrary, multiple times over the course of the offseason, often by multiple posters.
Multiple posters all with ONE opinion.

Stout

Reaction score
Who on that list is a big free agent?
Many of them are too big for Monti, because many are moves Monti would absolutely not have made. We don't need "big" or "superstar" signings necessarily (although I don't see why we can't do that now and again); we need more than average, ho-hum impact players like we've gotten. The Kyzir Whites of the world are fine and dandy--you need a lot of guys like that on your roster--but you also need more impact players. Too many to come from a slow-as-molasses draft only rebuild.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Many of them are too big for Monti, because many are moves Monti would absolutely not have made. We don't need "big" or "superstar" signings necessarily (although I don't see why we can't do that now and again); we need more than average, ho-hum impact players like we've gotten. The Kyzir Whites of the world are fine and dandy--you need a lot of guys like that on your roster--but you also need more impact players. Too many to come from a slow-as-molasses draft only rebuild.
Those signings were all pretty much Kyzir White and Froholdt types.

Their "big" signing was (checks notes) the corpse of Pierre Garçon. He's making my point for me.

The Niners absolutely weren't signing the Hargrave of the world until they were within striking distance of a Super Bowl.

Stout

Reaction score

Their "big" signing was (checks notes) the corpse of Pierre Garçon. He's making my point for me.

The Niners absolutely weren't signing the Hargrave of the world until they were within striking distance of a Super Bowl.
Monti wouldn't be doing any of the below FA/trade deals as of yet.

In today's dollars,

Jusz was given a 7 mil per year deal
Garcon a 15.27 mil deal.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He literally shows how that wasn't the case using today's dollars.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Krang… a team that goes 6-10 and 4-12 in back to back seasons isn’t within striking distance of the Super Bowl. That what the Niners were in Shanny’s first two seasons. And it was coming off the 4-12 season, where they were so atrocious that they had the #2 pick in the draft, that they made big splashes in FA, signing Kwon Alexander, making him the highest paid ILB in league history, in addition to trading for and signing Dee Ford to a 5 year 87 million dollar contract that same off-season as well. Ford was a Pro-Bowler, coming off a 13 sack, 13 TFL season. Those were both MASSIVE FA moves that happened in the 2019 off-season PRIOR to their 2019 run, coming off back to back bad seasons.

Come on, man. These are INDISPUTABLE FACTS that the Niners went out and made BIG SPLASHES before they were contenders. I don’t understand how you’re possibly arguing against this.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang… a team that goes 6-10 and 4-12 in back to back seasons isn’t within striking distance of the Super Bowl. That what the Niners were in Shanny’s first two seasons
Reading comprehension fail. Read again and come back.

I'm saying they didn't make the big money moves like signing Hargreaves, trading for Trent Williams, or McCaffrey until the roster was already a near championship contender.
. And it was coming off the 4-12 season, where they were so atrocious that they had the #2 pick in the draft, that they made big splashes in FA, signing Kwon Alexander, making him the highest paid ILB in league history, in addition to trading for and signing Dee Ford to a 5 year 87 million dollar contract that same off-season as well. Ford was a Pro-Bowler, coming off a 13 sack, 13 TFL season. Those were both MASSIVE FA moves that happened in the 2019 off-season PRIOR to their 2019 run, coming off back to back bad seasons.
Yep, they were close and made big moves! Thanks for proving my point!
Come on, man. These are INDISPUTABLE FACTS that the Niners went out and made BIG SPLASHES before they were contenders. I don’t understand how you’re possibly arguing against this.
Initially they didn't, that's my point. Thanks for doing the research to prove my point

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
37m
Veteran return man Jakeem Grant is signing with the #Falcons on a one-year deal, per source.

A two-time second-team All-Pro, Grant is coming off consecutive season-ending injuries. But he’s been dynamic when he’s on the field. More speed for Atlanta.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat