2024 NBA Draft talk: Suns own pick 22

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That language is a bit misleading. "Utliized" is a weird word. Yes, we traded Dayron Sharpe in 2021 and didn't have a pick in 2022, but we utilized our 2023 pick -- Toumani Camara was on the team and even played in Preseason before getting traded to Portland in the Ayton trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That language is a bit misleading. "Utliized" is a weird word. Yes, we traded Dayron Sharpe in 2021 and didn't have a pick in 2022, but we utilized our 2023 pick -- Toumani Camara was on the team and even played in Preseason before getting traded to Portland in the Ayton trade.

Camara was a mid second round pick, not a first.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Someone must’ve told jones that the day of ignoring youth is behind him.

I like what I’m seeing of kolek. But the more I see the more I believe (a) he might not be available at 22; and (b) isn’t likely to be available if we trade down. He’s a 50/39/85 guy who has excellent passing skills. He works hard on defense and even comes up with 1 1/2 steals. He doesn’t look like he’s got a slight build and can take contact. And he’s had a LOT of playing time, and lead a highly ranked team. I’m not convinced of his footspeed, but nearly half of his shots were at the rim so he’s had enough for high level collegiate hoops.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Someone must’ve told jones that the day of ignoring youth is behind him.

I like what I’m seeing of kolek. But the more I see the more I believe (a) he might not be available at 22; and (b) isn’t likely to be available if we trade down. He’s a 50/39/85 guy who has excellent passing skills. He works hard on defense and even comes up with 1 1/2 steals. He doesn’t look like he’s got a slight build and can take contact. And he’s had a LOT of playing time, and lead a highly ranked team. I’m not convinced of his footspeed, but nearly half of his shots were at the rim so he’s had enough for high level collegiate hoops.
I like three guys that are reputed to be possibly available when we pick: Kolek, Edey, and Daron Holmes. But with the Suns luck, I wouldn't at all be surprised if all of them are gone when our pick rolls around and we end up with... Bronny James.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd workout incoming..

Something is cooking with Bronny and the Suns if nothing more than they want to manipulate where he is drafted.

I'm thinking the Suns might have something up their sleeve to acquire more assets.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is cooking with Bronny and the Suns if nothing more than they want to manipulate where he is drafted.

I'm thinking the Suns might have something up their sleeve to acquire more assets.
This simply can't be we are evaluating him to draft him scenario.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score

I will definitely have my popcorn ready on draft night

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is why they want to trade down.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn’t give up on him. We traded him for Kidd who was universally considered the better player at the time.

Finley was traded for Kidd.

Nash got traded because we had Kidd, KJ and Nash.

We got a future draft pick that ended up being Marion for Nash.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is why they want to trade down.
I would totally be down with that. We need a way to get at least two players. That 2031(not sure of the year?) is almost certainly gone according to Brandon Duenas of Bright Side of the Sun. So there's one, maybe two guys there? All I know is we do need some youth on this squad. So the trade down may be best.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Finley, Cassell, and Green were traded for Kidd. (Ainge was our coach at the time, I believe) Also we got Tony Dumas and Loren Meyer in that trade.

Nash got traded because we had Kidd, KJ and Nash.

Following the 1998 NBA draft, Nash was traded from the Suns to the Mavericks in exchange for Martin Müürsepp, Bubba Wells, the draft rights to Pat Garrity and a first-round draft pick (who later turned out to be future Phoenix teammate Shawn Marion).

We got a future draft pick that ended up being Marion for Nash.
I just wanted to go back to the wayback machine because of the names involved. I remember a lot of these guys on the Suns.

It was kinda a slow moving Kidd for Nash trade in a way. :) We gave up Finley but eventually got Marion back, so that evened out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to go back to the wayback machine because of the names involved. I remember a lot of these guys on the Suns.

It was kinda a slow moving Kidd for Nash trade in a way. :) We gave up Finley but eventually got Marion back, so that evened out.
Can we borrow your wayback machine for a little while? My wife and I would like to eat a nice meal at Monti's sometime in the 60's or 70's when it was still at it's best (and still open).

And the Nash, Marion, Finley era was back when we drafted fairly well and picked up great value in most of our trades.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Can we please stop discussing this fantasy?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Only thing even possibly remotely we could do with Lakers is trade Durant for Lebron. And LeBron would have to take a paycut to get the deal done. Plus we would have to wait 6 months for the trade to be able to be made after Lakers resign Lebron. All of that is even far fetched.

Gambo says we are staying in this draft, said we wouldn't trade pick for a veteran. Did not rule out trade down. Said we weren't set on Kolek. Interesting both Bronny and Kolek could be seen to be in the late first/early second range.

I am hoping we take a young big instead of two guards if we trade down, or stay at 22.