Archie Goodwin...best pick in the draft?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Archie Goodwin...steal of the draft?

The Suns selected Goodwin with their late pick in the draft and imo it was their best pick of the draft. This kid posses elite athleticism and has great size for a guard. He has Westbrook/Wade type athleticism while being taller and with a higher wingspan. Not to mention that he's only 18 years old!

He was highly touted coming out of high school was just toying with the kids in HS. He was considered as good a high school prospect guard as any in recent years.

He's great at driving to the rim and finishing with contact and drawing fouls.

I think there's a very good chance that he could be the franchise SG for us and if we get lucky, he could possibly be the superstar player that we can build around. Great selection at the end of the first round.

He does have to fix his shooting tremendously and become a better team oriented player but those are things that can be fixed...especially at such a young, its expected. Even Hornacek said that he just has the feel for the game and those are the kind of players that you can train to become better.

He will need plenty of NBA minutes to develop into the player that he can be, and I hope that he gets some quality minutes with us either over Marshall as backup PG or as SG. He needs to taste the NBA game and make and learn from the mistakes he makes.

And here's a very good read on Archie Goodwin for those who haven't already read it. It talks about Goodwin's game and how it compares to the other stars of the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60422/goodwin-could-be-a-steal-in-2013-nba-draft

I'm VERY excited for this kid :thumbup:

:thewave: :fans:

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In short.. Yes....(based on Goodwin improving upon his weaknesses and improving maturity and confidence, which is likely)

I want to buy his jersey... That's how much I like this pick.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This pick had me more excited than Alex Len, kid looks really good

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are also reports that he is uncoachable. His college coach was quoted as saying "I can't coach you."

Here's hoping he grows out of that.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm more excited about this pick than Len. The definition of high risk, high reward. If he can reach his potential the Suns are going to look like geniuses in 3-4 years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more excited about this pick than Len. The definition of high risk, high reward. If he can reach his potential the Suns are going to look like geniuses in 3-4 years.

I know what you mean but the only thing I like about this pick is that it's actually low risk. It's pretty rare for a player with his weaknesses to develop into a star. But, it's also pretty rare for a player drafted at the bottom of the round to succeed at all so if he fails there's no big loss.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
True. Low risk in that he was picked so late in the draft. I was just looking at him as a guy with a ton of "potential" to break out, with just as much potential to flame out.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If his mentality doesn't change, he will be Shannon Brown all over again. But, he has the tools to be great. Its the type of choice you have to make at that point in the draft.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yup best thing I like about Goodwin is that he loves attacking the basket. He isn't gonna settle for jumpers like the rest of the SGs that we have had for our recent years in this franchise. He takes it to the rim and draws fouls. That's what he does best.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Horny can get in his head, he will be OK. I expect a lot of one-on-one time.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm getting enthused about this kid... he drives and he defends. I was afraid we were getting another Shannon Brown. Shannon does like to drive but he does it only when he has a clear path - smart of him since he doesn't finish well when he's contested. Goodwin slithers through traffic and gets shots off at close range, making them at a good clip. His shooting stroke on jumpers is erratic but that's a reasonably fixable problem at his age. He could well turn out better than McLemore, taking defense into account which I always do.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Suns get Archie in a trade? NBA.Com says he is drafted by OKC and yahoo says by Suns.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Archie was the only thing that I liked what the Suns did as well.. Everything else was pretty meh.. At least we will be in the lottery next year and have a shot at a legitimate star..

Reaction score
Reminds me of Dion Waiters not quite the shooter but not far off or the playmaker that waiters is. But there ability to attack the basket and get to the free throw line is similar.

I kind of hope Goodwin gets the chance to start at the 2 spot they list him and have said he's a PG but there's still no reason he can't start at the 2 spot.

I think Goodwin could be 1st team all rookie if given the minutes and right role That be real interesting if he could cause he'd likely beat out either oldipo or Mclemore. Right now him and Dragic would be the primary scores believe it or not Gortat really more of a pick and pop/roll type player not really a post up type guy who needs touches and I'm not sold on them giving Len 15-20 shots a game right of the bat either i could see them expanding his role as the year goes on though.

I think Goodwin's ceiling is a better version of Tyreke Evans think he's a little more athletic than Tyreke is and his form is not to far of being textbook so to say. Tyreke's forum is kind of funky and it make his jump shots very inconsistent. I think if Goodwin just squares up better and closes his shot a little (pulls his elbow in a little) he has solid forum kind of like what Kendall needs to do its called a jump shot for a reason so jump. Really I think both of them Goodwin and Marshall are easy fixes question is are they willing to put the time in and listen. Both have pretty high upsides if they do so.

At worse Goodwin's a solid guy coming of the bench who can score a little and defend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
* Here are things McDonough said after Goodwin’s workout in Phoenix that hinted at an interest in him or Ricky Ledo:
“Where we are, we obviously need to build this,” McDonough said. “If there is a guy you think can be a starter, a good starter someday, even if he’s 18 or 19 and might not ready to play, that might be a risk you have to take.”
“(Goodwin) is so long and quick that he’s an intriguing package.”

* The criticisms of the Goodwin pick have been about him as a shooting guard. The Suns see him as an athletic 6-foot-5 point guard who can drive the lane and fly in transition. It did not go well at the point for Kentucky but he is 18 and has the skill set to make it. The Suns aimed high here and that is a lot better than taking Alando Tucker at the same No. 29 spot.

* Goodwin is tall for a point guard at 6 feet 5 and even rangier with a wingspan of 6-9 1/2, which is longer than Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams.

* Goodwin told the Louisville Courier-Journal that Phoenix was the only team he worked out for twice (one was kept a secret).
“I feel more comfortable there than any other team, just knowing they really liked me,” Goodwin told the Courier-Journal.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/p...-takes-thoughts-on-the-new-suns/?sf14460091=1

Criticism of Goodwin has actually come at him playing PG because he was great in high school and then played PG in college which is not his position as he struggled. Though he could be a Westbrook type PG over time.
http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/p...-takes-thoughts-on-the-new-suns/?sf14460091=1

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Goodwin can run coast to coast and finish with a dunk with a guy hanging off of him, if he pushes himself more he could come close to John Wall, Derrick Rose and Westbrook in terms of sheer athletic ability.

Sure Oladipo and McLemore has higher verticals but Goodwin is quicker, more agile and explodes off tough positions....

As part of coaching, they need to embed as much as possible into Goodwin, to express his development, Rondo style.
- Goodwin gets into the paint at will... In the NBA he will get stuffed by the big men or the long armed wingmen a lot of time if he just looks for shots.... He needs to learn that breaking the defense isn't just to score at the rim... He needs to know he has at least 3 options... Dish it to the open team mate or draw a defender to foul him, and third option is to finish the play with a dunk or a layup.

Hornacek and co. need to smarten him up real quick.... And at 18~19 year of age, they have 3~4 years of lecturing and coaching until Goodwin forms his mindset as a player.

Defensively, he has it all already, just need your typical coaching, but his athleticism, quickness and length at minimum makes him a tough cover... Just need to understand the game better and he will be a pretty good perimeter defender... If he reaches his potential maybe he can be top 5 in his position.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I hope they give him playing time so he can make mistakes and get experience. Bring him along slowly but give him consistent minutes and more if he plays well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goodwin reminds me of the days when the NBA could draft kids out of high school. His upside at age 18 is phenomenal. I can not believe his quickness at his size.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Goodwin's defense is a bit overrated. He looks very raw on that end, IMO.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think Goodwin's defense is a bit overrated. He looks very raw on that end, IMO.

He moves his feet very well and stays in front of players. He is very young and the youngest play to be drafted in many years. He turns the ball over a bunch and just needs to learn how to play.

The think I am most concerned with is his shooting release, with Horney there I am sure they will get that taken care of. That is also why I want them to bring back Johnson.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope they give him playing time so he can make mistakes and get experience. Bring him along slowly but give him consistent minutes and more if he plays well.

This. If they stick him in D-League or sent him to Europe or something, the kid'a not gonna learn & improve. He needs consistent mins. I would pair him with Dragic in the backcourt.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. If they stick him in D-League or sent him to Europe or something, the kid'a not gonna learn & improve. He needs consistent mins. I would pair him with Dragic in the backcourt.

Because Dragic is a proven vet? Ugh. This is a recipe for a lot of bad basketball.