azcardinals.com Reviews Dennis Green's Glendale Chalk Talk

Jim O

Reaction score
Denny Green Hosts Glendale Chalk Talk
by Chrissy Mauck, azcardinals.com

You must be registered for see images

Head Coach Dennis Green hosted the first of his two sessions of “Chalk Talk” on Wednesday, February 25 at the Glendale Civic Center. Open to the public, Chalk Talk featured an overview of Coach Green’s philosophy and a Q&A of fan questions.

Green displayed his plan for success to the fans in attendance, starting with the three D’s: desire, dedication, and determination. Green said he’ll expect those characteristics from his players and he also has evaluated his current roster based on four things, if they played hard, played smart, played physical and played consistent.

As for his goals for next year, “make the playoffs” Green said, something the Cardinals have failed to do since 1998, “and build home attendance.”

In order to reach the playoffs, Green displayed an overview that showed what the team would need to do:

Be 5-3 or better at home
Be 5-3 or better on the road
Go at least 3-3 in the NFC West

Green also drew up X’s and O’s and explained the team’s offense and defense.

Green expects to have a 1,000 yard running back next year, who will also catch between 40 and 50 passes, but his offense will mainly be run out of the three wide receiver set. When asked, Green did not name Marcel Shipp or Emmitt Smith as the team’s expected starter.

“You always have to have a number one,” answered Green. “You also have to have a backup and everyone has to accept what their role is. I don’t know who that will be right now but we will determine very quickly who that guy is.”

Offensively, he confirmed that Anquan Boldin will be moved to the split end receiver and Leonard Davis will be playing at left guard.

Green summed up his offense saying, “It is going to be like a boxing match, a jab, a counter punch, a jab to the counter punch, and every now and then we try to deliver that haymaker which is a great knock out punch. That will be or offensive system.”

Green revealed his defense will be based around the JET, a speed defense that will rely on players being in their correct gap and aggressively hitting those gaps.

“Would you rather be a bag or hit the bag?” asked Green. “I think most of us want to hit the bag. Our defense will give our guys a chance to attack. The responsibility will be on the players, they have to believe that the guy next to him as his gap and so on. We establish that you have your turf and you have to defend your turf. Everybody has your gap and you have to whip your man.”

Like in previous stops, Green does not plan on fining his players, but make no mistake he will control the climate and mindset of his team. Green used the example of the thermostat in his meeting room as a metaphor for what he expects from his players.

“If someone says it is too cold or too hot in here, I don’t care,” offered Green. “I said, and I say what goes. Somebody has to drive the car. If you are too cold, put a damn sweater on and let’s go. Everyone will understand what I expect from them and we will be on the same page.”

Green’s hard-nosed statements about his discipline received a round of applause from the fans.

“Everyone has to buy into what I am selling,” explained Green. “If I have five guys that don’t buy into this and I don’t care who they are, it is irrelevant and I have 48 guys who do understand, it is my job to get rid of the five. I am going to put the benefit of the team over any individual. If you think you don’t fit in and you think your way of showing me is being late to weight training, I am going to show you, you are absolutely right and I am going to show you the door.”

To hear more from Head Coach Denny Green, please join us Thursday, February 26 (11:30 AM) at the Phoenix Symphony Hall Terrace for more “Chalk Talk.”

You must be registered for see images

spanky1

Reaction score
Ladies a gentlemen.........I am pleased to say, we have a Head Coach who knows what his plan is.

Man, with all due respect to the fine gentleman that Dave MacInnes is.........we needed this guy.....and I for one will say a 10-6 season is very realistic!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leonard Davis is moving to Left guard.

Shelton, Davis, Kendall

Now if they can't open holes on the left side I will be very disappointed!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 100%CardsFan
AAhhh its now this is refreshing to see a coach like this here, someone pass the Kool-Aid please

I'd let you have mine 100%, but I'm afraid my dog mistook the glass for a bush and annointed it.:eek:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by 100%CardsFan
AAhhh its now this is refreshing to see a coach like this here, someone pass the Kool-Aid please

Hopefully in three years we won't be chasing him out of Glendale with a bucket of tar and a bunch of feathers. Man, I hope he gets this fixed.

Anyone else notice that Bill B. hasn't been saying much as of late? Great sign!!!

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
"If you think you don’t fit in and you think your way of showing me is being late to weight training,..."

Hmmm. Not only participate in the weight training, but show up on time as well. Sounds like the expectations for the players are going up every month.
Sweeeeeeeet.:cool:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
At the rate DG is going training camp 2005 will be in Yuma!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You guys have no idea how much I want to see DG succeed in ARI - just not at the expense of the Vikes.

Maybe that last game was an omen.
You beat the Vikes. Then Fitz is declared elligible. Then Clarett declares putting M Williams into the draft. Maybe the Cards will get some good luck now.

DG almost beat the Vikes curse (our Babe Ruth was Joe Kapp) and maybe he can beat the Cards curse (Ollie Matson?).

I got goose bumps reading this article. How I miss having a real coach and GM. Our coache's idea of good coaching is to dress up in his old uniform and jump around with the players.

Mac was NOT the worst coach in the NFL it is Tice. :(
How can a team with the #1 offense in the NFL miss the playoffs. Someone shoot me please...

PS if any of you guys can get an extra DG autograph for me please let me know thanks.

Last edited:

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Based on D. Green's 4 criteria:
Play hard, Play smart, Play physically, Play consistent.

Jeff Blake scored low on Play smart, he played hard, played physically, was consistent(just not very well).

Bill Gramatica scored low on Play smart, Play physically, he played hard, and was consistent(not very long on kickoffs, good on field goals).