ESPN Radio Trade Speculation......

sunsfn

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
the reason I really don'tlike any major trades this offseason is that it sets us up as Dallas/Trailblazers Part II - The Blazers were so close to beating the Lakers and then they kept adding and subtracting players to make a team that had gone to the Conference Finals 2 years in a row a laughingstock of the league. Dallas continues to play musical chairs with their roster and it hasn't done squat for them either.

This isn't the offseason to panic and just start trading guys away - especially considering the undeniable chemistry on the team. If they get whupped again in the WCF next year then yeah - start tinkering - but give this group - with hopefully some depth more than one year together. Get some vets on the club - mix it up and give it another run. We were basicaly playing with 6 guys all season long - HUnter was and IS a marginal player out there and don't even get me starte don Barbosa at this point. When you compare those two guys with guys like Robert Horry, Brent Barry and Rasho Nesterivic or Antonio McDyess and Lindsay Hunter - it's easy to see why those teams (The Spurs and the Pistons) beat us and the Heat. Experience and depth are the keys for our club in the future - we got a nice dose of experience this year - this offseason is where hopefully we compliment that with some depth.

There is no doubt that the suns need a stronger bench. But the problems with Dallas over the years is not the changing of the players as much as needing an inside presence and never finding it.
The suns have their inside presence with Amare, and now are going to try to find the pieces to go with him. If they think there is a player or two out there that they can get with a trade, I think they will do it.
Amare is a beast and gives the suns a great chance to go all the way next year if they can find a couple players to strengthen this team.

-

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I like Dalembert, Chandler and Kwame Brown out of the list of FA. Those are young athletic guys who can be shot blocker/rebounders.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
the reason I really don'tlike any major trades this offseason is that it sets us up as Dallas/Trailblazers Part II - The Blazers were so close to beating the Lakers and then they kept adding and subtracting players to make a team that had gone to the Conference Finals 2 years in a row a laughingstock of the league. Dallas continues to play musical chairs with their roster and it hasn't done squat for them either.

This isn't the offseason to panic and just start trading guys away - especially considering the undeniable chemistry on the team. If they get whupped again in the WCF next year then yeah - start tinkering - but give this group - with hopefully some depth more than one year together. Get some vets on the club - mix it up and give it another run. We were basicaly playing with 6 guys all season long - HUnter was and IS a marginal player out there and don't even get me starte don Barbosa at this point. When you compare those two guys with guys like Robert Horry, Brent Barry and Rasho Nesterivic or Antonio McDyess and Lindsay Hunter - it's easy to see why those teams (The Spurs and the Pistons) beat us and the Heat. Experience and depth are the keys for our club in the future - we got a nice dose of experience this year - this offseason is where hopefully we compliment that with some depth.

if the players you have aren't capable of winning a title, then more years together won't help them in their quest. the suns are awesome, and are only going to get better. unfortunately, shawn marion will not get better by growing 3 inches. this poses a problem within our current style of play, because the best post players will take advantage of this, either by drawing double teams or rebounds. i think this suns team is capable of winning a title, but only if shawn marion plays the 3 position. this means we need somebody to come in and play the 4 or 5, but this is not easy (or cheap) to find. imo, hence the trade rumors.

i don't really care whether a trade goes down or not, as long as i get to watch amare come back and become even more of a freak show.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's some language in there that Kirilenko is healthy enough to play 75+ games for the next three years, I'd do it. If not, it's pointless.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
From what I can tell, Mark Cuban is calling the shots in Dallas these days. He has put together a talented team but doesn't really have a plan for solving their biggest problem - Dirk cannot defend. Amare doesn't know how, but has the ability to be pretty good. Dirk simply cannot defend and their team is built around him.

From what I can tell, Brian Colangelo is calling the shots in Phoenix these days. He has put together a talented team but doesn't really have a plan for solving their biggest problem - Nash cannot defend. Amare doesn't know how, but has the ability to be pretty good. Nash simply cannot defend and their team is dependent upon him.

Its important to be realistic.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
There is no doubt that the suns need a stronger bench. But the problems with Dallas over the years is not the changing of the players as much as needing an inside presence and never finding it.
The suns have their inside presence with Amare, and now are going to try to find the pieces to go with him. If they think there is a player or two out there that they can get with a trade, I think they will do it.
Amare is a beast and gives the suns a great chance to go all the way next year if they can find a couple players to strengthen this team.

-

Don't compare the Suns to the Mavs, compare them to the Spurs. There are only 4 players on the current Spurs roster from the 2003 championship team. Ginobli, Parker, Duncan and Bowen. Their core is only 4 players and they let Speedy Claxton, Stephan Jackson, Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Danny Ferry move on. Robinson and Kerr retired. They were stuck with a huge contract in Malik Rose who they converted into Mohamad, who eventually supplanted Nesterovic.

That situation looks very similar to what the Suns have now. You have to determine the 4 core players or do they go with only 3. Do they stick with Marion as the fourth or do they move him. Do they hang on to Q and have that 5th long term contract bogging them down like Malik Rose's did. 5 long term contracts put a damper on the flexibility to add components like the Spurs did to get them back to the finals with only 4 players from a championship team.

If, I say if, they make this trade Marion/Q for AK47, he would probably be considered the 4th that they build around. It is probably in their best interests to cut their long term commitments down to 4, then they will be able to add the veterans such as a Horry, Barry who want to win championships.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
playstation said:
if the players you have aren't capable of winning a title, then more years together won't help them in their quest. the suns are awesome, and are only going to get better. unfortunately, shawn marion will not get better by growing 3 inches. this poses a problem within our current style of play, because the best post players will take advantage of this, either by drawing double teams or rebounds. i think this suns team is capable of winning a title, but only if shawn marion plays the 3 position. this means we need somebody to come in and play the 4 or 5, but this is not easy (or cheap) to find. imo, hence the trade rumors.

i don't really care whether a trade goes down or not, as long as i get to watch amare come back and become even more of a freak show.

We could even get away with playing Shawn at the 4 some of the time (when matchups allow). But we need another high quality option at the 4 or 5 when we are playing against the bigger pf's in the league.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I couldn't agree more cheese. The Phoenix Suns were some depth off the bench, especially in the frontcourt, away from the finals and a possible title. Look, they were not getting creamed by San Antonio. The first three games they played without one of their most important players. Part of their improvement will just involve playing together and working on defense. They are young players for the most part. The other part of the improvement will be strengthening the bench.

Hunter is not going to sign a contract that averages $2 million per season. He will get more than that somewhere. If we are extremely lucky we could sign him to a contract that starts at $2 million with yearly increases. I think he will get more from someone else though. the Phoenix Suns will let him go if someone gives him a deal averaging $4-5 million. I'll almost guarantee that.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
From what I can tell, Brian Colangelo is calling the shots in Phoenix these days. He has put together a talented team but doesn't really have a plan for solving their biggest problem - Nash cannot defend. Amare doesn't know how, but has the ability to be pretty good. Nash simply cannot defend and their team is dependent upon him.

Its important to be realistic.

Amare will become a solid defender someday, because he wants to and has the physical talent to do it. Dirk doesn't want to and is not quick enough to ever be a good defender.

The Mavs have not had a serious low post threat in ages. Walker had the talent, but not the temperment. The result is a team that relies on jump shots and layups; which is not enough in the playoffs.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
JPlay said:
I like Dalembert, Chandler and Kwame Brown out of the list of FA. Those are young athletic guys who can be shot blocker/rebounders.

I would like Dalembert or Chandler, but of course all three are RFAs and an MLE contract (if we could get them to sign it) would be matched in a heartbeat.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I would like Dalembert or Chandler, but of course all three are RFAs and an MLE contract (if we could get them to sign it) would be matched in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but we have an edge. His name is Steve Nash.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yeah, but we have an edge. His name is Steve Nash.

so the Bulls and Sixers will be afraid to match the contract because of what Steve Nash will do to them?:confused:

It's not about those guys signing here - it's about the right to match superceding our offer from the home team.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
so the Bulls and Sixers will be afraid to match the contract because of what Steve Nash will do to them?:confused:

It's not about those guys signing here - it's about the right to match superceding our offer from the home team.

Exactly, I really don't know what you meant JPlay....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the final question about this trade has to be this: Which nickname is cooler, The Matrix or AK-47? Those are definitely two of the better nicknames out there among current NBA players. If the Suns are going to make a lateral move as far as talent is concerned, they should at least gain an advantage in the nickname department.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I think the final question about this trade has to be this: Which nickname is cooler, The Matrix or AK-47? Those are definitely two of the better nicknames out there among current NBA players. If the Suns are going to make a lateral move as far as talent is concerned, they should at least gain an advantage in the nickname department.
:biglaugh:

Assuming Amare is going to be "STAT" since it's tatooed on him (lalk about a nickname sticking), at least we could use the medical analogy:

"Give me a dunk, stat"

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Dalambert is my #1 guy, I want. He would fit the Suns perfect, a front court with Amare, Marion and Dalambert all can rebound, blockshots, very athletic and can run the break!! Dalembert would be perfect :thumbup:

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Don't compare the Suns to the Mavs, compare them to the Spurs. There are only 4 players on the current Spurs roster from the 2003 championship team. Ginobli, Parker, Duncan and Bowen. Their core is only 4 players and they let Speedy Claxton, Stephan Jackson, Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Danny Ferry move on. Robinson and Kerr retired. They were stuck with a huge contract in Malik Rose who they converted into Mohamad, who eventually supplanted Nesterovic.

That situation looks very similar to what the Suns have now. You have to determine the 4 core players or do they go with only 3. Do they stick with Marion as the fourth or do they move him. Do they hang on to Q and have that 5th long term contract bogging them down like Malik Rose's did. 5 long term contracts put a damper on the flexibility to add components like the Spurs did to get them back to the finals with only 4 players from a championship team.

If, I say if, they make this trade Marion/Q for AK47, he would probably be considered the 4th that they build around. It is probably in their best interests to cut their long term commitments down to 4, then they will be able to add the veterans such as a Horry, Barry who want to win championships.

This wins my "Post of the Day" award! And for that I give you: :cheers:

:)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Dalambert is my #1 guy, I wan't. He would fit the Suns perfect, a front court with Amare, Marion and Dalambert all can rebound, blockshots, very athletic and can run the break!! Dalembert would be perfect :thumbup:

Oh, I agree. But the only question, is how does Phoenix obtain him? (Which brings me to a post I made a week ago... Marion for Dalembert + Korver. ;))

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Marion for Dalembert + Korver.

Since you and I are the only members of the "Maybe the Suns should trade Marion even though we like him" club, let me reiterate that I'd hold out for Stojakovic and Skinner. Dalembert and Korver for Marion is a ripoff. Dalembert has "potential," but he hasn't shown anything consistent yet, and just to say that the coach "didn't like him" isn't an explanation for why he couldn't keep himself on the floor. Of course, Skinner's no better in that regard, but the difference is that you are getting a premium scorer in the same package. Korver is borderline worthless. Sure, it's nice to have someone who can make three-pointers, but he also has to bring other things to the table, and Korver doesn't.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
coloradosun said:

Ok. Marion has 4 years left on his deal for 57 million. AK has 6 years at 84 million. Marion's play is a better fit for this team. AK has more of an injury history than Shawn. Marion's deal will be up at about the time we will be needing to think seriously about a replacement for Nash. At that time he might consider a lower deal, or, if he is a really hot player, we could move him (sign and trade) etc.

AK-47 is not worth Marion on the court and his contract is not more desirable (for the team) than Marion's.

If we need to move contract $, then we can trade Q for squat. Cleveland, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Charlotte all have the cap room, and picks to offer in exchange for Q.

The only thing that makes this deal worth a second look is Harpring, but you can pick up players like him in free agency. Its fun to talk about it, in this dead time, but its not a good deal.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is it about Dalembert that everyone thinks the Sixers are going to get rid of him? Jim O'Brien didn't seem to like him, but he's no longer their coach. At least 25 teams need centers and that would include the Sixers if they traded him.

Once we get the Dalembert fantasy out of our heads, reality sets in. There just aren't any useful centers available for anything less than a prohibitive price. Worrying about whether Marion is a great player doesn't change that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If, for some amazingly strange reason, the Suns offered a trade of Marion for Dalembert plus fillers, the Sixers would be insane not to take it. Dalembert's value is simply not that high.

OP
OP
asudevil83

asudevil83

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Marion for Dalembert + Korver.

Since you and I are the only members of the "Maybe the Suns should trade Marion even though we like him" club, let me reiterate that I'd hold out for Stojakovic and Skinner. Dalembert and Korver for Marion is a ripoff. Dalembert has "potential," but he hasn't shown anything consistent yet, and just to say that the coach "didn't like him" isn't an explanation for why he couldn't keep himself on the floor. Of course, Skinner's no better in that regard, but the difference is that you are getting a premium scorer in the same package. Korver is borderline worthless. Sure, it's nice to have someone who can make three-pointers, but he also has to bring other things to the table, and Korver doesn't.

i'd take Peja and Skinner for Marion. the problem with this trade is that it leaves Q to the bench.....and IMO he's paid way to much to be delegated to the bench.

i believe that marion would either have to go for a strong PF or 3-4 QUALITY role players. if we get another strong, strickly SF/SG who isnt big enough to clash with other PF's, then Q would then have to go in order to both fill that hole and keep the suns from throwing him on the bench.

then we are talking about doing A LOT with a team that went to the WCF, and get compared to the Mavs who rebuild every year.

OP
OP
asudevil83

asudevil83

Reaction score
i just thought of something that kinda builds off the rumor from the original post.....with Phoenx, Memphis, and Utah doing a huge shuffle.

Utah Trades: $27,106,316
Boozer - $11,593,816
AK - $10,967,500
Harping - $4,545,000

Utah Recieves: $25,834,688
Swift - $6,500,000
Mike Miller - $6,750,000
Marion - $12,584,688

Memphis Trades: $12,950,000
Swift - $6,200,000 (S&T 5 year $37.5mil with $500,000 raises)
Mike Miller - $6,750,000

Memphis Recieves: $12,782,500
Q - $6,300,000
Harping - $4,545,000
Voskuhl - $1,937,500

Phoenix Trades: $20,822,188
Marion - $12,584,688
Q - $6,300,000
Voskuhl - $1,937,500

Phoenix Recieves: $22,561,316
Boozer - $11,593,816
AK - $10,967,500

Utah: after an extremely dissappointing season, they really need to think about moving some of their pieces. here they get some great talent for what they give up. Marion does the job of AK, while Swift replaces Boozer for cheap, and Miller does the job of Harping, but better.

Memphis: they get something for Swift. Q would probably fit in nice with Memphis. Harping and Voskuhl also give them more than $6.5mil in expiring contracts that could help them.

Phoenix: they get some nice pieces that could bring them over the top. a starting lineup of Amare/Boozer/AK/JJ/Nash would be AMAZING.

we could then draft Ike Diogu with the #21
sign Chris Anderson as a backup PF to a 3 year $9.3mil contract
resign Hunter to a 3 year $6.6mil contract
sign Jay Williams to a 2 year $2.5mil contract.

new lineup:
amare/hunter
boozer/anderson/diogu
ak/jjax
jj/barbs
nash/williams/barbs

it would also be nice to pry that #33 from Utah to draft McCants/Hodge as a backup for the SF/SG spot.