Gambo thinks the Suns should trade Amare

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listening to Gambo today, he said Amare will most likely walk after this season so the Suns should trade him so they can get something in return. He said one trade he would think about was Amare for McGrady and maybe Houston's #1 or a young player like Brooks. Gambo doesn't even look at salaries or anything like that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He said one trade he would think about was Amare for McGrady and maybe Houston's #1 or a young player like Brooks.

No way in hell Houston considers that.

Gambo doesn't even look at salaries or anything like that.

Or put any thought into what other teams' priorities are.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Gambo is a fool. he has absolutely no idea how trades work. about the only thing he got right in his whole little amare story was that if amare walks we still wont be able to sign another big name free agent and will have no cap space.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would love them to trade Amare. I always put people up to what I call "The Amare Challenge". Watch Amare and no one else for 4-5 straight minutes on the floor. You will notice that he is the laziest man in the NBA. The guy is an offensive genius. But he isn't a leader or max player. We might as well get Zach Randolph if we want someone to score and rebound.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love them to trade Amare. I always put people up to what I call "The Amare Challenge". Watch Amare and no one else for 4-5 straight minutes on the floor. You will notice that he is the laziest man in the NBA. The guy is an offensive genius. But he isn't a leader or max player. We might as well get Zach Randolph if we want someone to score and rebound.

Wow I totally disagree.

Amare is far from perfect but he is a top 20 NBA player.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

You might want to hurry up and get the most out of that opinion because I think it's popularity might be fading. I saw him box out AND rebound a couple of times on the defensive end tonight. :D

Update: I just checked the box score and he had 9 defensive rebounds. What?

Last edited:

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the Stat Randolph comparison. Similar players. Amare is a better scorer, Randolph's a better boarder. Neither is an mvp type player.

krazyasiankid

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What are HOUSTON'S priorities?

Maximize financial flexibility, keep developing their young, scrappy core, continue to focus on giving maximum effort within a team concept, and pave the way for Yao's return. Acquiring Stoudemire would interfere with all of those plans.

Gambo knows they've benched McGrady, right? Has he put any thought into why?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am never in favor of trading a player for a worse player. Amare is a top 15 to 20 player IMO. Would I love to have a forward who is more committed on defense? Sure but we probably won't get one. So, the Suns should have tried to keep him.

Having said that it's too late. If the Suns were going to keep him they should have extended his contract already. Amare is going to opt out. There is no way in hell Amare is not going to opt out. So if your the Suns you have to trade him or get nothing back. You can't let a player of Amare's caliber walk without compensation.

Plus, if he opts out, you will not have enough cap space to sign a player of the same caliber as Amare. Stay tuned because if they let Amare walk that means they will have no choice but to start rebuilding again. Either that or they will have committed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Sucks because it took as a long time to get a player like Amare in the front court. Without a trade...how long will the Suns be without a quality big man again?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With all the other free agents out there, does anyone actually think Amare will get more than $17m a year this summer?

He won't opt out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
With all the other free agents out there, does anyone actually think Amare will get more than $17m a year this summer?

He won't opt out.

I'm with Chaplin on this one. Stoudemire's best bet is to con the Suns into extending him. No one else is going to risk a $100M deal on him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He WILL opt out he won't make the max but someone would give him a good 3 or 4 yr deal that pays him around 10 a year or something. Still to Amare its more money than 17 for a year!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He WILL opt out he won't make the max but someone would give him a good 3 or 4 yr deal that pays him around 10 a year or something. Still to Amare its more money than 17 for a year!

Really? If he stays another year and walks, he will walk into the next summer as the #1 free agent on the market, unlike this summer when he will be far behind Wade and Lebron, and maybe even Bosh.

Assuming he stays injury free, what makes you possibly think that it's either 10 million a year for 4 years now or 17 only for one year? You don't think he could get 10 million a year in 2 years? Come on now.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
If Sarver signs him I will be surprised. Sarver most likely will let him walk so he doesn't have to pay him next year. Or he will trade him for players that will to be cut so he doesnt have to pay a high salary.

Haven't you guys been reading Moron Trading 101 by Robert Sarver? How to rape and pillage an NBA championship contender in 7 years or less. Watch the expert banker deal a superstar and have nothing to show for it on the court. He is the true master of the salary dump. He pays players not to play. No draft picks, no superstars, no problems.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Really? If he stays another year and walks, he will walk into the next summer as the #1 free agent on the market, unlike this summer when he will be far behind Wade and Lebron, and maybe even Bosh.

Assuming he stays injury free, what makes you possibly think that it's either 10 million a year for 4 years now or 17 only for one year? You don't think he could get 10 million a year in 2 years? Come on now.

What needs to be considered/talked about in all of this is the impact of the CBA expiring after next season. It's already been discussed that length and size of contracts are going to decrease, and it may make more sense for a guy like Amare to sign a 6-7 year deal now as opposed to waiting a year and signing a 4-5 year deal.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score

I'm there with you on the Amare challenge I was a big defender of Amare but I watch him on defense and he is a HUGE liability. When you're 6'10 and can jump out the gym, there's no reason why you can't get 11 boards a game. Not 6 one day and 14 the next day.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

He won't opt out.

Agreed. Look at all the half empty stadiums around the country. The salary cap will continue to go down, and nobody will be paying excellent but not superior players with major injury concerns 17+ per.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm there with you on the Amare challenge I was a big defender of Amare but I watch him on defense and he is a HUGE liability. When you're 6'10 and can jump out the gym, there's no reason why you can't get 11 boards a game. Not 6 one day and 14 the next day.

Amare can't jump out of the gym anymore and (6+14)/2 =10