I keep seeing trade Marion posts....

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
I admit I don't understand the "trade Marion" camp. It seems to boil down to insisting that there is someone they like better who has a less expensive contract. So what? It isn't like giving away Marion will magically put one of these guys on the Suns roster. Nor would giving away Marion get the Suns below the cap. It would not mean they could offer more than the mid cap exemption for a free agent.

Exactly. And I'll go a step further and say it's Peja they're comparing him to. I've heard his name mentioned and frankly he's one of the very few Small Forwards worthy of being compared with Marion. OK so Peja is paid roughly 6 mill this season (compared to Marion's 10 mill) but the facts are:

1) Peja got ripped off. As of right now I'd say he's worth every bit of 10 mill a season. I'd say Marion is worth 8-9 mill (I think Rashard Lewis is getting like 9 mill and Marion is the same or better)

2) Peja is NOT the only small forward in the league!! To be fair to Marion he and his stats should be compared to ALL small forwards (except ones with rookie contracts) in the league...not just compared to the smoking deal Peja.

3) As stated prior...just because another player is getting a deal doesnt mean we can aquire that player or get the same deal.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It seems that the "trade Marion" talk is a reflection of Zarco's getting close to stepping in.

Perhaps it's not so much the idea of trading the Matrix as having a 6'11" SF replacement who might better complement the team, and trading Shawn to fill another of our needs.

No Zarco, no trade talk.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I agree with you BC. However, no one has a clue how Zarko will actually play. He had 1 good game, however, the entire team had a good game that night. He looked good in small minutes early in the season, but so did Alton Ford.

I am not saying he won't be a good player, but for god sakes no one has seen him play enough to consider him our future SF. JJ also had an impressive first few games when he came here, and there is no evidence that Zarko will not wind up being inconsistant and a tease as well.

Fact of the matter is, there is no one here who has seen enough of Zarko to make any real judgement. Are most people hoping for the best? Do they like what they have seen so far? Of course, but the same could be said for Harvey, Casey's play lately, JJ every 3 games, Barbosa ect. ect.

This trade Marion stuff is just ridiculous at this point. There is no other player who would fill in better. The fact of the matter is, despite his short comings, he does things no other person in the league does. Very few players can say that. His salary really doesn't matter unless the Cs are trying to trade him (just to get numbers to work), since we are going to be over the cap forever anyways with the current build of the team, with Shawn on it or not.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by BC867
It seems that the "trade Marion" talk is a reflection of Zarco's getting close to stepping in.

Perhaps it's not so much the idea of trading the Matrix as having a 6'11" SF replacement who might better complement the team, and trading Shawn to fill another of our needs.

No Zarco, no trade talk.

I'm very excited about Zarko, but he is not a proven star. We don't know how well he will play defense or rebound if he played the same minutes.

Right now, I see Zarko as the ultimate 6th man able to fill in at all three inside positions (in weird situations even at #2) based on matchups. Why mess that up?

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seems to me the Trade Marion people are mostly arguing he costs too much, but would be a perfect fit for the Suns at a cheaper price tag. No kidding, that Mercedes I have been eyeing is just too expensive a car, but would totally be worth it at half or a third the price. We can argue who the best small forward is in the game today, but lots of the TV comentators from other teams always rank Marion as the best or right in the top five. That to me says he is worth the max salary because it is what the market would demand anyway to get his services. Heck, I would love to have Shaq at half his salary on the Suns!! :)