Kyler Murray Debate Thread

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score
Kind of disagree. When you have bottom of the barrel players, these guys are fighting to keep their jobs every week. Tonga is going to work on his pass rush even if it likely isn't going to result in sacks. I see very few dudes on this roster who I believe are not workers. Stills seems like he is giving it his all. Lopez. Collins. ST5 is doing the best he can IMO.

I am curious what guys you think are not hard workers on this squad because I can't see many and those that aren't won't be in the league long.

You’re not gonna want to hear this but Marv might be one.

Also workers know the play book up and down. Workers don’t commit a ton of mental mistakes. Workers don’t commit penalties. Pointing out that the team doesn’t have that worker mentality doesn’t mean there aren’t any on the team. I truly believe there are some but I don’t think that is who this team is.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
FWIW on the Kyler vs Petzing debate.

Gambo says that Kyler is processing things too fast and not seeing guys getting open.

I couldn't tell if this was his opinion or if this is coming from the Cardinals.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gambo says that Kyler is processing things too fast and not seeing guys getting open.

I couldn't tell if this was his opinion or if this is coming from the Cardinals.
I just watched it. It's interesting that someone posted yesterday that the pocket breaks down in like 3.2 seconds for Kyler, while the league average was 5 seconds. That would directly contradict what Gambo is saying here. It the WR is open after the 3.2 second, or after he make a cut as Gambo says, then Kyler is already scrambling and looking for his safety valve. Sounds like a protection issue to me then.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched it. It's interesting that someone posted yesterday that the pocket breaks down in like 3.2 seconds for Kyler, while the league average was 5 seconds. That would directly contradict what Gambo is saying here. It the WR is open after the 3.2 second, or after he make a cut as Gambo says, then Kyler is already scrambling and looking for his safety valve. Sounds like a protection issue to me then.
Is it though? I remember them talking about snap to release times for most high level QBs during a broadcast. Generally the best QBs are getting rid of the ball in about 2.5 seconds. If IIRC the Goats like Tome brady and Mahomes regularly were in the 2.2 to 2.3 range...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it though? I remember them talking about snap to release times for most high level QBs during a broadcast. Generally the best QBs are getting rid of the ball in about 2.5 seconds. If IIRC the Goats like Tome brady and Mahomes regularly were in the 2.2 to 2.3 range...

That's my point. If it's take 5 seconds for the play to develop, Kyler can't get it out in 2.5 seconds. Right?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that someone posted yesterday that the pocket breaks down in like 3.2 seconds for Kyler, while the league average was 5 seconds.
I don't have a reference & can't research it right now, but I don't think ANY team provides 5 seconds of clean pocket.

Edit: Just Googled and found these lists. "time in clean pocket" is a subjective stat so take these for what they're worth, but they both have Murray around middle of the pack in time to throw.

NFL.com has Murray tied for 17th with 2.77 seconds to throw. Sam Darnold and Brock Purdy top the list with about 3.1 seconds to throw. Jayden Daniels is somehow excelling with only 2.58 seconds, and Tua Tagovailoa is at the bottom of the list with 2.4 seconds to throw.

FantasyPros lists "Pocket Time", or average time between snap and throwing the ball or pressure, with Murray tied for 15th at 2.4 seconds. This page doesn't allow filtering out very small samples, so Cooper Rush tops the list with 3.4 seconds on 19 attempts, and Mason Rudolph seconds with 2.8 seconds on 57 attempts. After those two are Purdy and Darnold with 2.7 seconds each. At the bottom of the list, throwing out the small sample sizes, are Tua and Baker Mayfield with 2.1 seconds. So these numbers generally align somewhat with the NFL.com numbers.

As expected, NOBODY gets anywhere NEAR 5 seconds on average... so whatever you read or heard is way off base.

Last edited:

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the post ! ! !.. I heard Gambo say that today and it made absolutely NO sense. If any QB has to wait for a route to develop that shortens the time he has to read other routes. Then it's the QB's fault for not processing routes fast enough ( No win situation ). It was stated before the game that Herbert is averaging about 2 to 2.5 seconds a game before his release. Asking your QB to hang on to the ball for long enough for routes to develop sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If a receiver has one-on-one and can't get open.. Sounds a a scheme problem of a receiver problem but to blame any NFL QB for not hanging on to the ball and taking their time to wait for plays to develop is Absolutely Insane. That only works with screen plays..

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He says he watched the tape, something I'm going to try to do today.

The sad thing about this segment is that it could have been run in any year in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's my point. If it's take 5 seconds for the play to develop, Kyler can't get it out in 2.5 seconds. Right?
5 seconds is not a reality for NFL QBs. Nobody expects QBs to routinely get 5 seconds. The great QBs have elite processing speed, and lagging by a few extra (fractions of) ticks will put you behind. That's one reason why Kyler isn't great. He isn't amongst the world's elite at QB processing time.

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score
Don’t ever listen to Gambo for football takes. He is a BBall guy.
The valley has terrible football analysts and reporters.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's 3 plays from the opening drive and I think they some up the issues with Kyler pretty well and tie in with what Gambo said above.

This is the 1st play of the game. I'm not sure what Kyler wants to see here when he boots out that isn't there. McBride is open immediately for an easy completion, and so is Higgins. Either of those option would be easy 1st downs.

But he also has a WR burning downfield (I think it's Zay Jones) that has beat his man and the CB has is back to Kyler. This is a difficult but no risk pass and Kyler has the time to set his feet and take it on. Instead we get a 5 yard run. It's my opinion that when a QB has a man getting open downfield and he has the time he should be attempting the pass, but I'd also accept the argument that taking the 100% shot to McBride is smarter football. What he chose was the worst option.

On the 2nd play Kyler makes a 1st read 10 yard curl to MHJ that was nicely timed, it was a good passing down and I'd like to see many more of those kinds of plays to MHJ. But then we revert back to garbage.

This is play 4 after a Conner run. The trips to the right is designed to open the middle of the field for Trey on the dig and the play is run to perfection and Trey is wide open for a 1st down and more. But Kyler comes off it way early for no reason, he has a clean pocket, Trey runs his route well, it's a really easy pass and probably 15 yards. But Kyler comes off it in the blink of an eye and stairs down the dirty side of the field where everyone is covered (by design).

And this is the problem with the Kyler discussion because I imagine in the game thread the talk was of Kyler making a play with his feet when nobody was open. But the play went exactly as it should and Kyler screwed it up.

The next play is the one he get's intercepted. This one is for the MHJ isn't getting open crowd. Pause it when Kyler throws the ball (which again is early and looks like he decided pre snap).

MHJ is open on an out route. It's not an easy throw but not a hard one either. That's a medium difficulty NFL throw. On a perfect pass he could conceivable house it with a bit of luck and just a safety to beat. At worst it's a 20 yard pick up. You also have Mike and McBride in better positions to receive the ball than JC. Of 5 options 4 of them are open and JC is the worst option of the 4.

And this is just the 1st drive. I'd be very frustrated if I was a receiver in this offense. I don't see anything wrong with Petzing's scheme and people are getting open. Will add more as I get time.