Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
talk to me about the Clips next season. If it weren't for ALL the injuries this past season we would have completed. If it weren't for the questionable trade for Gasol, you guys would not be where you are....member that!

You really need to let the Gasol thing go. You keep harping on it but you have yet to show any proof of wrong doing. So I say put up or shut up about it already.

Yes the clips had injuries, all teams do. I am a big fan of Elton Brand and that hurt you guys. But come on, you ave aways been the little sister to the Lakers and you ALWAYS will be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes I do. I have a house here and a vacation home in Havasu. Born in Inglewood, grew up in Mission Viejo.

i just bought a house in costa mesa. figured i had to move off the balboa peninsula before i turned 40. time to grow up . . .hummmm

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
You really need to let the Gasol thing go. You keep harping on it but you have yet to show any proof of wrong doing. So I say put up or shut up about it already.

Yes the clips had injuries, all teams do. I am a big fan of Elton Brand and that hurt you guys. But come on, you ave aways been the little sister to the Lakers and you ALWAYS will be.
First time mentioned...pay attention. Oh, we might be the second team in LA but since Shaq left, you guys were either NOT in the play-offs or one and done. We have gone further than you guys post shaq and ONLY up until the Gasol trade, you guys were well...nothing!!!!!
By the way, that 2005-2006 season where we got to the second round and after the Suns beat you, guess who jumped on the Clipper bandwagon? You got it...The Faker fans!!!!!!!!!

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be honest, I did call that the Lakers are the toughest team to beat when they made the Gasol trade.

But the main reason is because of Lamar.

Lamar once, Gasol came in as the third guy. Became more comfortable, his 6'10 wide frame and uncanny skills is HUGE for the Lakers.

People saying wait til Bynum comes back.... well, that would mean Radman or Odom would be off the bench. Or Bynum off the bench.... still HUGE lineup, but Odom's skill set and Gasol's skill set together on the court with Bryant is the one reason Phil Jackson can get as much out of the bench in Vujacic, Farmar, Fischer etc... Just great vision with those 3, uncanny facilitating skills from Gasol and Odom.... plus both are HUGE players...

Bynum with Gasol is not as good as Odom + Gasol, because Bynum needs room to operate, with Gasol, you have to compensate Bynum if both are on the same time, meaning Gasol might have to play up top more to free the key for Bynum. Gasol can pass, but his 7'0 and nice skills is taken out away from the 5-feet range.

Odom and Gasol with Kobe running the ball handling makes them so good..

Its a shame, that Odom might be leaving this off season.... I think that would be a BIG blow to the Lakers offense.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
To be honest, I did call that the Lakers are the toughest team to beat when they made the Gasol trade.

Lamar once, Gasol came in as the third guy. Became more comfortable, his 6'10 wide frame and uncanny skills is HUGE for the Lakers.

People saying wait til Bynum comes back.... well, that would mean Radman or Odom would be off the bench. Or Bynum off the bench.... still HUGE lineup, but Odom's skill set and Gasol's skill set together on the court with Bryant is the one reason Phil Jackson can get as much out of the bench in Vujacic, Farmar, Fischer etc... Just great vision with those 3, uncanny facilitating skills from Gasol and Odom.... plus both are HUGE players...

Bynum with Gasol is not as good as Odom + Gasol, because Bynum needs room to operate, with Gasol, you have to compensate Bynum if both are on the same time, meaning Gasol might have to play up top more to free the key for Bynum. Gasol can pass, but his 7'0 and nice skills is taken out away from the 5-feet range.

Its a shame, that Odom might be leaving this off season.... I think that would be a BIG blow to the Lakers offense.

If Odom leaves you can kiss the future goodbye. His is central in the success of the Lakers...good observation. I have been saying this even before the season started.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

Odom is definitely key to the Lakers success. When he went from the 2nd to 3rd option, he exploded and has had a great year. I'm not sure why you think he might leave in the off season, the Lakers only have 2 free agents this year (Sasha Vujacic and Ronnie Turiaf) and they are both restricted. Odom isn't going anywhere, it's no secret how vital Odom is to what the Lakers do.

When Bynum comes back, it's Radmonovic that goes to the bench. Gasol will move from Center to PF which is his natural position, Bynum will start at Center and Vlad will come off the bench.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Odom is definitely key to the Lakers success. When he went from the 2nd to 3rd option, he exploded and has had a great year. I'm not sure why you think he might leave in the off season, the Lakers only have 2 free agents this year (Sasha Vujacic and Ronnie Turiaf) and they are both restricted. Odom isn't going anywhere, it's no secret how vital Odom is to what the Lakers do.

When Bynum comes back, it's Radmonovic that goes to the bench. Gasol will move from Center to PF which is his natural position, Bynum will start at Center and Vlad will come off the bench.

wasnt Wade and Riley trying to lure him into the Heat?

I admit I didnt pay attention to his contract status, but I just had this feeling and impression that he is thinking of leaving the lakers.

Maybe even through a trade.... again not sure, but I read it somewhere..

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
wasnt Wade and Riley trying to lure him into the Heat?

I admit I didnt pay attention to his contract status, but I just had this feeling and impression that he is thinking of leaving the lakers.

Maybe even through a trade.... again not sure, but I read it somewhere..

I think your right. I heard something like that from a buddy of mine who lives in L.A. Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson syndrome. Doesn't want to be the third wheel on his team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have gone further than you guys post shaq and ONLY up until the Gasol trade, you guys were well...nothing!!!!!

If 1st in the West is nothing, then I guess you'd be right. Of course, you don't know what first in the west feels like, do you?

By the way, that 2005-2006 season where we got to the second round and after the Suns beat you, guess who jumped on the Clipper bandwagon? You got it...The Faker fans!!!!!!!!!

No Laker fans I know were on any "clipper bandwagon." LOL. Like such a thing even exists.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Odom wouldn't leave this offseason. We have him one more year under contract. If he'll take a bit less money, we might be able to keep him. What goes in our favor there is he does NOT want to be the man somewhere else. He is content to be that 3rd guy out there, making things happen, rather than have a ton of pressure on him. When he's in the relaxed role, he's something special.

They are going to run a lineup of Kobe, Fish, Lamar at 3, Gasol at 4 and Bynum at 5 next year. If that works, it's money. Gasol is a more natural 4. The only issue will be lamar guarding faster SFs, but they will have a load with him (see Shawn Marion). That's the plan at least, but nobody knows how well it will work.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your right. I heard something like that from a buddy of mine who lives in L.A. Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson syndrome. Doesn't want to be the third wheel on his team.

That goes against EVERYTHING I've heard, read and seen the guy himself say. And his play shows it.

Riley wants him in Miami, no doubt. But Lamar is very happy in LA.

KCi

Reaction score
That goes against EVERYTHING I've heard, read and seen the guy himself say. And his play shows it.

Riley wants him in Miami, no doubt. But Lamar is very happy in LA.

You're right, that's like the exact opposite of every report out on Lamar. The guy doesn't like to be the "man", he likes to be the guy in the background, quietly getting the work done. His personality is perfect next to someone like Kobe. :thumbup:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
If 1st in the West is nothing, then I guess you'd be right. Of course, you don't know what first in the west feels like, do you?
Neither do you, you don't even work in the concession stands when the Lakers play...How can you possibly know what it feels like???? I think we are taking this fan thing to a delusional state...eh?
I bet you are the type that won't be able to sleep Wednesday night...right?
I bet you are the type that will cry and probably take the day off if the Laker's lose the series...right?
I bet you are the one that likes to bash other fans and think they will be hurt by it just the way you would be if they spoke unkindly of your team...right?
Some people have have loyalty to a team like me but I keep things in perspective. I don't lose sleep, I don't cry after a loss, and I don't let it rule my world.

What didn't you understand about "up until the Gasol trade" ?:shrug:
Hey by the way, you remind me of the characters of this movie:
You must be registered for see images

How Ironic and appropriate...might want to rent this to see how fandom can get to someone. ;)

No Laker fans I know were on any "clipper bandwagon." LOL. Like such a thing even exists.

Here in LA they where all over the place. Local TV had Lakers fans say they were going to support the Clippers after the series loss to the Suns in 2006 . Hell, even a few Lakers fans from 2005-2006 season still post on the Clippers message board I am a member of and they are nothing like you. They even consider themselves fans of the Clippers. They marvel at the fact that we are loyal. I guess they realize what true loyalty means.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Good old Lakers. 2-7 in finals history against the Celtics. 0-2 against them during this season (too bad it was without Gasol). 2 less championships. Worse regular season record. No wonder there aren't any real Celtics fans on here to defend them, history does it for them.

Nothing annoys me more then those who say that the 2-3-2 favors the team with the worse record, the team with the better record is 17-6 since they switched over in the 84-85 season. Dating back to the 49-50 season the home team is 21-8 in 2-2-1-1-1 for a 72.4% win ratio and 20-6 for a 76.9% win ratio (the championships in '53, '54 and '55 were also 2-3-2 and the team with that had home court advantage won each. Not counting those three years, the 2-3-2 still has a slightly better win ratio at 73.9.

Note that the '75 and '78 finals were 1-1-2-2-1 because of scheduling issues. The '56 finals was a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 format. In conclusion, history shows that 2-3-2 slightly favors the team with home court advantage more then the 2-2-1-1-1 format. However the difference is so slight that it basically means that it doesn't really make a difference.

TJ

Reaction score

Are you kidding me??? Some of the biggest Laker fans hopped on that bandwagon. Jack Nicholson flew to PHX to watch the Clips and Vic "The Brick" Jacobs himself professed his love for the Red and Blue.

HAd the Clippers played one more good season, you would have seen LA turn from Purple and Gold to Red and Blue almost overnight

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither do you, you don't even work in the concession stands when the Lakers play...How can you possibly know what it feels like????

Ah, but I do know what it feels like, having been to a few WCF games in my time.

I think we are taking this fan thing to a delusional state...eh?
I bet you are the type that won't be able to sleep Wednesday night...right?
I bet you are the type that will cry and probably take the day off if the Laker's lose the series...right?

Yes, yes and I'll probably get teary regardless. Hell, i'm already misty hearing promos with Chick from the 80s matchups. These are bad things?

I bet you are the one that likes to bash other fans and think they will be hurt by it just the way you would be if they spoke unkindly of your team...right?

No, not really. I like to talk smack to people but I don't expect them to get hurt feelings over it. I don't. I roll my eyes a lot...I take very few things that people say serious. I do happen to take the results of my favorite sports teams seriously. Couldn't sleep after that Bears game, so I watched it again when I got home from the stadium.

What didn't you understand about "up until the Gasol trade" ?:shrug:

Well, before the Gasol trade, the Lakers were first place in the west. With Bynum. They then dropped a couple of games and the Gasol trade happened. But they weren't "nothing." They were the best team in the west. Had just recently blown out New Orleans at their house by 29 points. Rolling. That's not "nothing."

Hey by the way, you remind me of the characters of this movie:
You must be registered for see images

How Ironic and appropriate...might want to rent this to see how fandom can get to someone. ;)

I always liked that movie...typical Celtic fans. :D

Here in LA they where all over the place. Local TV had Lakers fans say they were going to support the Clippers after the series loss to the Suns in 2006 . Hell, even a few Lakers fans from 2005-2006 season still post on the Clippers message board I am a member of and they are nothing like you. They even consider themselves fans of the Clippers. They marvel at the fact that we are loyal. I guess they realize what true loyalty means.

Those aren't Laker fans. They are bandwagon fans. I marvel at the Cards fans and our loyalty. But I give Clip fans credit there as well. But jeez, doesn't mean I have to cheer for them. Wanting a team to win a series (Clippers vs. Suns) and becoming a clipper fan or joining their bandwagon are very different things.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me??? Some of the biggest Laker fans hopped on that bandwagon. Jack Nicholson flew to PHX to watch the Clips and Vic "The Brick" Jacobs himself professed his love for the Red and Blue.

HAd the Clippers played one more good season, you would have seen LA turn from Purple and Gold to Red and Blue almost overnight

LA is Lakerland. A minor playoff success for the Clippers will turn out some boosters, but nobody was on any bandwagon...they were giving love to a local team. I don't see Vic running around in a red and blue pancho, and how many Clipper home games has Jack been to this year? Again, rooting for a series and being "on the bandwagon" are two different things. I guess I was on the Suns bandwagon then for rooting for them against the spurs? Hell, I WENT to a Suns/Spurs game back when Marbury pooped on the court, and cheered for the Suns. I think it is safe to assume that nono of you would consider me a "bandwagon Suns fan."

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet there are. Too bad I don't post on Celtics boards and I don't really care a ton for the Lakers boards.

:rolleyes:

Solemme get this straight.. It sounds as if you wouldnt post on a celtics board because its trolling.. You dont wanna post on a lakers board for whatever reason.. Yet it is perfectly ok to sport a lakers avatar on a arizona board and runs your gums silly talking about the lakers in a arrogant manner with your lakers gang to Suns fans? ya ok.. that makes perfect sense.. :rolleyes:

TJ

Reaction score
LA is Lakerland. A minor playoff success for the Clippers will turn out some boosters, but nobody was on any bandwagon...they were giving love to a local team. I don't see Vic running around in a red and blue pancho, and how many Clipper home games has Jack been to this year? Again, rooting for a series and being "on the bandwagon" are two different things. I guess I was on the Suns bandwagon then for rooting for them against the spurs? Hell, I WENT to a Suns/Spurs game back when Marbury pooped on the court, and cheered for the Suns. I think it is safe to assume that nono of you would consider me a "bandwagon Suns fan."

Shame on you for cheering for the Suns! The Laker Gods would have your head for such blasphemy. You were probably giving them the monkey paw. A true fan loves his/her team and hates the other 29.

Actually, Vic considered making a Red and Blue poncho at one time, but that idea faded with the Clips' success. He's obnoxious anyway, I dont know why I brought him up (even though he is a nice guy in person)

Don't forget what happened to the LA Kings. As soon as they started sucking, LA started quacking for the Ducks. Its an ugly stigma that LA has.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Solemme get this straight.. It sounds as if you wouldnt post on a celtics board because its trolling.. You dont wanna post on a lakers board for whatever reason.. Yet it is perfectly ok to sport a lakers avatar on a arizona board and runs your gums silly talking about the lakers in a arrogant manner with your lakers gang to Suns fans? ya ok.. that makes perfect sense.. :rolleyes:

What do you care, Cee? You're a Boston fan.