McCown's Had his shot...bench him

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He just doesn't get it. He constantly looks the rush directly in the face and waits waaaay too long to do anything. Completing a pass is good in that situation, but not essential. Hell, throw it away, for crying out loud. He got absolutely lucky on that pass early on he miraculously completed. The one that he threw out there on a wing and a prayer that found the receiver. The one where the defender ran straight at his face, yet he pretended as if he wasn't there until the last second. I don't know how many more times I can watch McCown watch the rush come at him, KNOW the rush is coming at him, and completely botch the situation. I CAN THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY!!! PUT ME BACK THERE!!! Granted, maybe I'll get a grounding call, but at least I'd be trying :) You wouldn't be able to label me Rob Johsnon, part deux like McCown.

As if that's not enough, we get more of the same. Overthrows, underthrows, misses open receivers, lays receivers out to dry (how many times will he underthrow Fitz to get him sandwiched?). Can't check down. Can't figure out when to run. He wastes time in time-critical situations. He looks like he needs a frickin' hug when he walks to the sideline. None of this inspires trust and encouragement. Quite the opposite. The list goes on.

And NO, I am NOT blaming this lose solely on McCown. I would love if he didn't HAVE to worry about reacting to that huge pass rush. I would love if he had a run game to take the pressure off. I would love the defense to actually do their jobs. But even then, I seriously doubt McCown will succeed. He has all the physical tools but none of the football smarts or instincts that make a good QB. Rob Johnson part deux indeed.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McCown has no running game or defense, his receivers play HALF ASSED (and yes I mean YOU Mr. Fitzgerald), he's constantly on the run, and...

...you think HE is the problem?!

Unreal!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
McCown is the problem.

he doesn't hit receivers in the chest on their route...he hit 2 players dead on...every other pass was way to high...ask Boldin as he was flying up with his body exposed...Fitzgerald about to get killed on plays...

2) Josh's head and feet don't work together. He can't get the ball out of his hands on a three or five step drop on time. Watch the game if you have the tape and you'll see he can't get it done.

Dennis Green will see the tape and Rowen will be telling Green the same thing..."Josh can't get the ball out of his hands on the drops."

Sure Josh is strong taking hit after hit after hit, but as a fan you should see, Josh should have already gotten the ball out of there before he took the hit...therefore he shouldn't have been hit at all on most of the plays.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Its hard to imagine any QB doing well with this OL. But, Josh makes too many errant throws, even when he has time. He is not the blame, but he is not the answer.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Stout said:
He just doesn't get it. He constantly looks the rush directly in the face and waits waaaay too long to do anything. Completing a pass is good in that situation, but not essential. Hell, throw it away, for crying out loud. He got absolutely lucky on that pass early on he miraculously completed. The one that he threw out there on a wing and a prayer that found the receiver. The one where the defender ran straight at his face, yet he pretended as if he wasn't there until the last second. I don't know how many more times I can watch McCown watch the rush come at him, KNOW the rush is coming at him, and completely botch the situation. I CAN THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY!!! PUT ME BACK THERE!!! Granted, maybe I'll get a grounding call, but at least I'd be trying :) You wouldn't be able to label me Rob Johsnon, part deux like McCown.

As if that's not enough, we get more of the same. Overthrows, underthrows, misses open receivers, lays receivers out to dry (how many times will he underthrow Fitz to get him sandwiched?). Can't check down. Can't figure out when to run. He wastes time in time-critical situations. He looks like he needs a frickin' hug when he walks to the sideline. None of this inspires trust and encouragement. Quite the opposite. The list goes on.

And NO, I am NOT blaming this lose solely on McCown. I would love if he didn't HAVE to worry about reacting to that huge pass rush. I would love if he had a run game to take the pressure off. I would love the defense to actually do their jobs. But even then, I seriously doubt McCown will succeed. He has all the physical tools but none of the football smarts or instincts that make a good QB. Rob Johnson part deux indeed.

I'm a Cowboys fan, yeah...I know, so I don't see the cardinals as a die hard fan. Trust me - it's NOT Josh. Everyone around him is a joke. Put Josh on an average or above average time and he's a good QB.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
This has to be stupid cardinal fan post day. Josh had zero to do with todays loss. Did anyone watch this game or did they just watch the second half when it was hopeless? Did you see the first half? Our embarassing defense and offensive line lost this game in the first half. Had nothing to do with Josh. That hit he took in the first half would have killed Warner. Fine.. let him play. Hope you have something nice to say at his funeral.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I'm a Cowboys fan, yeah...I know, so I don't see the cardinals as a die hard fan. Trust me - it's NOT Josh. Everyone around him is a joke. Put Josh on an average or above average time and he's a good QB.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound cruel. I would like the Cardinals to do well, I've even gone to a few games at Sun Devil Stadium. But this team needs some serious changes before they'll be good. (Or even average.)

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Slacker said:
This has to be stupid cardinal fan post day. Josh had zero to do with todays loss. Did anyone watch this game or did they just watch the second half when it was hopeless? Did you see the first half? Our embarassing defense and offensive line lost this game in the first half. Had nothing to do with Josh. That hit he took in the first half would have killed Warner. Fine.. let him play. Hope you have something nice to say at his funeral.
:thumbup: I challenge anyone that can stomach it, to go back and watch just how many times Josh McCown was pummeled in this game. Every OLineman should personally go and apologize to McCown and forfeit there paycheck to charity. They sucked bad as a group as did the DLINE. They could not stop the run to save there life. Josh over threw and underthrew several balls but he is gunshy after getting rocked so much because of this line. I counted 6 solid jawbreaking hits on him in the 1st half and 4 in the second. No Qb can withstand that and be successful. NO ONE!! Say what you will about Josh's play but when he moves on he will be successful behind a decent line. He likes to compete and with a decent running game he will be a good NFL starter. Anyone that says otherwise does not know what is required to be an NFL Qb. The good ones have a good or great supporting cast. Josh does not and has not had that here. Only those that are blind can't see this. The playcalling and failure to adjust to what the other team is doing is what is wrong with this team. That and the interior lines.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Rats said:
:thumbup: I challenge anyone that can stomach it, to go back and watch just how many times Josh McCown was pummeled in this game. Every OLineman should personally go and apologize to McCown and forfeit there paycheck to charity. They sucked bad as a group as did the DLINE. They could not stop the run to save there life. Josh over threw and underthrew several balls but he is gunshy after getting rocked so much because of this line. I counted 6 solid jawbreaking hits on him in the 1st half and 4 in the second. No Qb can withstand that and be successful. NO ONE!! Say what you will about Josh's play but when he moves on he will be successful behind a decent line. He likes to compete and with a decent running game he will be a good NFL starter. Anyone that says otherwise does not know what is required to be an NFL Qb. The good ones have a good or great supporting cast. Josh does not and has not had that here. Only those that are blind can't see this. The playcalling and failure to adjust to what the other team is doing is what is wrong with this team. That and the interior lines.

Rats: I agree with ya, and to take it a little farther, I would say that this o-line isnt working the way it is. Its time to try something different. Like Move Big to LG, Well to LT. If Ross is ready try him at RG. You gota try something you just cant sit back and do nothing. Lets go DG.

P.S. Should have never let LJ go. IMHO

Rats

Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:
Rats: I agree with ya, and to take it a little farther, I would say that this o-line isnt working the way it is. Its time to try something different. Like Move Big to LG, Well to LT. If Ross is ready try him at RG. You gota try something you just cant sit back and do nothing. Lets go DG.

P.S. Should have never let LJ go. IMHO
:thumbup: :thumbup: If it isn't working then you have to try and shake it up...and I would do exactly what you suggested... :notworthy

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Slacker said:

Nope sorry Slacker, I was at the game. Josh was atrocious. Even my Cowboys friend who was at the game pointed out along with me just what Josh was doing wrong. It was clear as day. He overthrew Q on a sideline route for at least 15+ yards. Missed a slant to Q he had one on one with no safety help, and completely missed Shipp coming out the backfield because he caught him out the corner of his eye and got confused with Edwards crossing through the middle. Josh wasn't the ONLY reason we lost, but he was a BIG reason.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Slacker said:

And this has to be stupid Cards fan response day, then. You must not have been watching. I saw lots and lots of blitzers coming at Josh, yes. The O-line was atrocious. I saw McCown take NEEDLESS hit after NEEDLESS hit. When I see a guy running at me from TEN FRICKIN' YARDS AWAY, I tend to get rid of the ball. I don't wait until he's ONE yard away before I suddenly decide to react. Rob Johnson 2.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
vince56 said:
McCown has no running game or defense, his receivers play HALF ASSED (and yes I mean YOU Mr. Fitzgerald), he's constantly on the run, and...

Unreal!

Yeah, because I solely blamed Josh for the loss :rolleyes: Right, that's EXACTLY what I did :rolleyes: I must never, EVER have said any of this: And NO, I am NOT blaming this lose solely on McCown. I would love if he didn't HAVE to worry about reacting to that huge pass rush. I would love if he had a run game to take the pressure off. I would love the defense to actually do their jobs.

:rolleyes:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I thought Josh actually played pretty well today all things considered.

My biggest complaint of Josh is he shows very little touch on the ball.
He can throw that quick slant or some other route that requires arm strength but when the throw calls for a softer touch and a little more air under the ball they are very often off target.

Even if Josh is not the long term answer at QB I don't know what better choice we have for the rest of the year.

We could put Warner back in but he probably wouldn't last long. With no ability to run the ball you might as well give Warner a jersey with a big target on it.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Look, guys. Our O-line sucks, our running game and pass pro sucks. Our defense can't play well consistently. Outside of Rackers and Player, our special teams suck. Yes, I know, as do you all. But you know what? Add a sucky QB to the mix, and even with our good WRs, we won't be able to do jack.

I'm sorry. After spotting the 9ers 7, Josh came back and had a heckuva game. As you saw on this message board, I supported him starting all the way up until this point. He'd earned his second chance, and he'd earned the chance to prove himself, one way or another. He has. How many times must I watch him ignore a blitz COMING RIGHT INTO HIS FACE!?!?!? How many times? Helen frickin' Keller could see blitzes that McCown couldn't. Or, if he does notice them, it's even worse. Then he sees the blitz and becomes paralyzed. Aaaaaaaargh! How much more can one man handle!?!?!? You guys who defend his every blemish take the cake! Josh can do no wrong! If he walked into your house and whizzed on your carpet, you'd frickin' compliment him on his accuracy!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I thought Josh actually played pretty well today all things considered.

You didn't see him freeze in front of the blitz multiple times? Overthrow and underthrow receivers? Fail to check down? Wow. Take off the shades, Ray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Josh McCown is that when he plays I feel like we are being cheated. By this, I mean that if there is broken coverage or a whole in the defense, I am not coffident that McCown will see it and exploit it. I don't expect him to throw off rushing defensive linemen or scramble for 80 yards, but I do expect a capable NFL QB to find and hit open players when they get open. As a QB in the NFL you have to make the most of the opportunities that you get and I don't think McCown does this at all.

I don't want to lose out because I hate it when the Cards lose, but if they do, draft Leinart and end this QB nonsense because it is driving me crazy.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Stout said:
You didn't see him freeze in front of the blitz multiple times? Overthrow and underthrow receivers? Fail to check down? Wow. Take off the shades, Ray.

I saw some mistakes. I also saw him stand in and make a play. I also saw him avoid a rush several times.
I do not think he was blameless.

On the INT returned for a TD I thought he should have dumped it off. Of course the hit from behind probably threw off the throw.

There is no need to insult me Stout.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
On the INT returned for a TD I thought he should have dumped it off. Of course the hit from behind probably threw off the throw.

I don't think he had time to dump it off. If Leonard Davis could have stopped the rookie he was against for even a second, Josh could have done something. I'm sure Demarcus Ware is a good player, but Big made him look great today. UGH.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I saw some mistakes. I also saw him stand in and make a play. I also saw him avoid a rush several times.
I do not think he was blameless.

There is no need to insult me Stout.

Hey, I was going to say Helen :D

No harm meant, man. I'm just aghast at the lack of seeing the obvious on this board. His 'standing in and making a play', if you're refering to that early hit-and-completion, was a perfect representation of his failure as a QB. A completion a failure? Not the play, but the leadup. He's being blitzed. He sees it, or else he's a complete putz, because it's coming right down the pipe. He waits. And waits. Does nothing. Waits. Oh, yeah, NOW I'm getting hit...duh, gee, I guess I'd better try something. Hope it ain't intercepted. Oh, cool, he caught it. Waited way too long and chucked it up on a wing and a prayer. Blind luck. Same with his INT returned for a TD. Maybe if he threw it right away, before the blitz got there, he might just have scored a TD for the good guys. Instead of standing in cememt for several seconds.

Rats

Reaction score
The Josh bashers never change and call it like they see it, with jaded eyes...If the multiple blitzs were picked up then Josh would have time to throw the ball...this is the OLINEs job and the RB. If they are bringing more than can be blocked then that would be on the Qb. Watch the tape...that happened only once in the first half and twice in the 2nd half where there were more blitzers than blockers....Josh was getting beat down because the line could not hold at the point of attack and was getting pushed back and then not sustaining there block....and Josh would get smacked. If you want to feel cheated...feel cheated because the OLINE has stolen there paychecks this entire season. The Qbs that have been under center have been doing there job. The line has not allowed protection or running game to ease the pressure. Then the Dline does not stop the run and game over. That is where you should feel cheated.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Stout said:
Hey, I was going to say Helen :D

No harm meant, man. I'm just aghast at the lack of seeing the obvious on this board. His 'standing in and making a play', if you're refering to that early hit-and-completion, was a perfect representation of his failure as a QB. A completion a failure? Not the play, but the leadup. He's being blitzed. He sees it, or else he's a complete putz, because it's coming right down the pipe. He waits. And waits. Does nothing. Waits. Oh, yeah, NOW I'm getting hit...duh, gee, I guess I'd better try something. Hope it ain't intercepted. Oh, cool, he caught it. Waited way too long and chucked it up on a wing and a prayer. Blind luck. Same with his INT returned for a TD. Maybe if he threw it right away, before the blitz got there, he might just have scored a TD for the good guys. Instead of standing in cememt for several seconds.

I see, giving himself up waiting for the reveiver to come open across the middle is a bad thing in your book.

And when/if Warner stands in there and takes the hit to get the first you will blast him too I hope.

Josh makes some bad decisions, he makes some bad throws. However I don't see him as our biggest problem. He has shown he can play well enough to win some games. I don't think today was one of his worst efforts.

Like I said considering the pressure he was under and both from the rush and how many points his own defense was giving up I wasn't that disappointed in Josh today. He simply wasn't THAT bad.

I think you are as myopic about trashing Josh as you complain about other people are for defending him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My biggest complaint of Josh is he shows very little touch on the ball.
He can throw that quick slant or some other route that requires arm strength but when the throw calls for a softer touch and a little more air under the ball they are very often off target.

At least somebody is watching the games.

This is the #1 problem with McCown as a QB.

And I'll bet the DC's on the teams we play know it as well.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
vince56 said:

Unreal!

There is certainly enough blame to go around. McCown is not without his share. The only one that should escape the wrath is Rackers.