Michael Floyd

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sorry, neither Reiff nor DeCastro were worth #13 pick and it would have been a reach. It's not that the team did not know they need a tackle. They go by their draft board. Whether Floyd works out or not, we will see. The speed WR was the desire of some on this message board. I don't remember the team ever saying they need a speed guy as #2.

You forgot to add IMO to your statement, because I think you're 100 percent wrong.

Who? The next OL off the board was 10 picks later at 23. In round 1, that's a pretty big reach. Even moreseo when you factor in that Matt Kalil was the only OL off the board at the time. That pretty much means that 20 teams felt there was only 1 OL wothy of being selected in the top 20. Just because you liked DeCastro or Reiff doesn't make them worthy of a top 20 pick. Plus, it's not like there weren't a bunch of teams that needed OL help. Then, factor in that, about on average, 6 OL get selected in round 1, and it shows how weak the class was after Kalil. Taking Reiff or DeCastro at 13 would have been a classic reach pick.

Oh, my bad. You didn't think so, and since teams never, ever make mistakes, you MUST be right. Yeah, you're so not going to get me to agree. Nagannahappen.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Who? The next OL off the board was 10 picks later at 23. In round 1, that's a pretty big reach. Even moreseo when you factor in that Matt Kalil was the only OL off the board at the time. That pretty much means that 20 teams felt there was only 1 OL wothy of being selected in the top 20. Just because you liked DeCastro or Reiff doesn't make them worthy of a top 20 pick. Plus, it's not like there weren't a bunch of teams that needed OL help. Then, factor in that, about on average, 6 OL get selected in round 1, and it shows how weak the class was after Kalil. Taking Reiff or DeCastro at 13 would have been a classic reach pick.

Well I don't think Floyd was worth the #13 pick, the second WR taken in the entire draft. To me Floyd was a classic reach as you call it. I just don't see the talent there to make him any better than Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill or Alshon Jeffery. Or even Juron Criner.

However, to me there is no such thing as a reach. If you want a guy you take him. Which is what the Cards did with Floyd. Of course there is stupidity which would be taking, say, Junior Hemingway in the first round.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's always best not to draft a player and expect them to start that year. Of course there are exceptions but starting rookies right away because you have a lack of talent at their position is a slippery slope.

The Floyd pick was not about this year as much as it is the future. Fitz is what, 29 yrs old? He has 4 more Fitz type years in him before he starts to lose some of his skills. Because Fitz is an Alien and has his stinkin mind right he will be a very good WR for quite some time but the chance to get his long term replacement is not a bad option. NO I'm not saying MF is the next Fitz, will we ever see another one like him in our life times. But MF has the work ethic and physical skills to be an impact player.

Plus you will have that overlap time when both are nightmares for the opposition.

I would love for the Cards to find their next Mel Gray or Roy Green but we also needed another big boy at the WR position.

If the Cards had traded down and taken DeCastro then I would have been good with that, especially since we didn't have a 2nd rd pick.

The next couple of drafts become very interesting for the Cards because they will continue to go BPA but we have some positions that need upgrading in the worst way. This is where the ability to move up or down in the draft will become necessary.

MF, as Russ has already stated, will become at least a good WR in this league. I have faith in Whiz to allocate the proper amount of playing time for MF. Earn the reps young man.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The first two receivers taken in the 2011 draft combined for 2,016 yards and 15 TDs as rookies.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, neither Reiff nor DeCastro were worth #13 pick and it would have been a reach. It's not that the team did not know they need a tackle. They go by their draft board. Whether Floyd works out or not, we will see. The speed WR was the desire of some on this message board. I don't remember the team ever saying they need a speed guy as #2.

Sorry that's your opinion not mine and based on howbad the OL is and how Floyd has played your opinion looks no better than mine.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always best not to draft a player and expect them to start that year. Of course there are exceptions but starting rookies right away because you have a lack of talent at their position is a slippery slope.

The Floyd pick was not about this year as much as it is the future. Fitz is what, 29 yrs old? He has 4 more Fitz type years in him before he starts to lose some of his skills. Because Fitz is an Alien and has his stinkin mind right he will be a very good WR for quite some time but the chance to get his long term replacement is not a bad option. NO I'm not saying MF is the next Fitz, will we ever see another one like him in our life times. But MF has the work ethic and physical skills to be an impact player.

Plus you will have that overlap time when both are nightmares for the opposition.

I would love for the Cards to find their next Mel Gray or Roy Green but we also needed another big boy at the WR position.

If the Cards had traded down and taken DeCastro then I would have been good with that, especially since we didn't have a 2nd rd pick.

The next couple of drafts become very interesting for the Cards because they will continue to go BPA but we have some positions that need upgrading in the worst way. This is where the ability to move up or down in the draft will become necessary.

MF, as Russ has already stated, will become at least a good WR in this league. I have faith in Whiz to allocate the proper amount of playing time for MF. Earn the reps young man.

Right and if you go back to after the draft that's what several of us were saying if we weren't going to take DeCastro we could have moved back and taken an OL later. If you really think it's a reach taking an OL there move back.

But I completely agree with Duckjake it's also a classic reach to take a WR there who can't get off the LOS, can't lineup, drops balls in his hands and had serious character questions. He will eventually be a pretty good player but for that year or two where he's not you haven't really improved your team which is terrible when you have a playoff level defense and a top 3 draft choice level offensive line.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first two receivers taken in the 2011 draft combined for 2,016 yards and 15 TDs as rookies.

Which is remarkable because I heard first round pick Wr's are under enormous pressure and that makes it tough to produce.

Not we take a Julio Jones or AJ Green there, who I loved pre draft 2 years ago, this thread is never started. Those are the types of WR's you take that high because they're too good to pass on. Early last year Julio was struggling a bit catching the ball too, but he was also wide open all the time it didn't take Nostradamus to see he was going to be pretty good.

I've seen maybe one play all year where Floyd came off the LOS made a move and flat beat his man,Kolb threw the ball out to him, slightly underthrown but it hit him right in the hands, and he dropped it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Which is remarkable because I heard first round pick Wr's are under enormous pressure and that makes it tough to produce.

Not we take a Julio Jones or AJ Green there, who I loved pre draft 2 years ago, this thread is never started. Those are the types of WR's you take that high because they're too good to pass on. Early last year Julio was struggling a bit catching the ball too, but he was also wide open all the time it didn't take Nostradamus to see he was going to be pretty good.

I've seen maybe one play all year where Floyd came off the LOS made a move and flat beat his man,Kolb threw the ball out to him, slightly underthrown but it hit him right in the hands, and he dropped it.

Jones numbers to me are really impressive considering the Falcons also had Roddy White (1,296/8) and Gonzales (875/7) as primary targets.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones numbers to me are really impressive considering the Falcons also had Roddy White (1,296/8) and Gonzales (875/7) as primary targets.

Yeah I get a chuckle out of the announcers talking about how Matt Ryan has come into his own. He has, right about the time they added another elite receiver. It's a team effort, Ryan was always good but he looks better than he probably really is now because he has a solid run game and lots of weapons to throw to.

I can't wait until we play Atlanta to see how Horton attacks that offense it's going to be fun to watch Lots of touch matchups for us.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah I get a chuckle out of the announcers talking about how Matt Ryan has come into his own. He has, right about the time they added another elite receiver. It's a team effort, Ryan was always good but he looks better than he probably really is now because he has a solid run game and lots of weapons to throw to.

I can't wait until we play Atlanta to see how Horton attacks that offense it's going to be fun to watch Lots of touch matchups for us.

Another thing Atlanta has are 5 offensive linemen who have been with the team for several years. Garrett Reynolds is the least experienced and he's in his 3rd season with the team. Center Todd McClure is in his 13th season. Plus Clabo, 7th, Blalock, 6th, and their only 1st round pick, Sam Baker is in his 5th season.

McClure was a 7th round pick, Reynolds a 5th and Clabo an UDFA.

Continuity or talent?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You forgot to add IMO to your statement, because I think you're 100 percent wrong.
Really??? 100% wrong??? Ok, Mr. "know it all"...

And I say YOU are 100% wrong.

BTW, all posts are "IMO" on message boards unless copy and pasted from some other place... Just so that you know how message boards work.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Well I don't think Floyd was worth the #13 pick, the second WR taken in the entire draft. To me Floyd was a classic reach as you call it. I just don't see the talent there to make him any better than Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill or Alshon Jeffery. Or even Juron Criner.

However, to me there is no such thing as a reach. If you want a guy you take him. Which is what the Cards did with Floyd. Of course there is stupidity which would be taking, say, Junior Hemingway in the first round.

"However, to me there is no such thing as a reach. If you want a guy you take him"

"Of course there is stupidity which would be taking, say, Junior Hemingway in the first round"

That seems contradictory ;)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Another thing Atlanta has are 5 offensive linemen who have been with the team for several years. Garrett Reynolds is the least experienced and he's in his 3rd season with the team. Center Todd McClure is in his 13th season. Plus Clabo, 7th, Blalock, 6th, and their only 1st round pick, Sam Baker is in his 5th season.

Continuity or talent?

Ryan today - 53 drop backs - 1 sack

Kolb Thur - 59 drop backs - 9 sacks.

Continuity or talent? Who knows. Productive? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Continuity or talent?

they have continuity because they're talented enough to keep together.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"However, to me there is no such thing as a reach. If you want a guy you take him"

"Of course there is stupidity which would be taking, say, Junior Hemingway in the first round"

That seems contradictory ;)

Simple actually. Stupidity is if you want a guy who is half the talent of 150 other players.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
they have continuity because they're talented enough to keep together.

So why can't we get 5 guys who are talented enough to keep together using a 1st, 2nd, a 5th a 7th and an Undrafted Free Agent?

Oh wait we did but couldn't keep them together.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Simple actually. Stupidity is if you want a guy who is half the talent of 150 other players.
Then there is a "reach" unlike your claim "there is no such thing as a reach"... it just depends what you call a reach vs. others. If you reach for a mid second rounder into mid first round or a 3rd rounder into first rounder, it is still a reach.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
But Floyd was universally rated a better prospect than those other WR's. It may not turn out tobe an accurate assessment, but Kendall Wright is the only guy that was even discussed in the top 3.

The thing is, we don't know how soon Floyd would have went off the board if the Cards took someone else. We do know 10 more teams passes on Reiff, who plays a high demand position. Also, I'm on record saying I wanted Brockers or Ingram and 5 more teams passed on Ingram.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Then there is a "reach" unlike your claim "there is no such thing as a reach"... it just depends what you call a reach vs. others. If you reach for a mid second rounder into mid first round or a 3rd rounder into first rounder, it is still a reach.

If you see a guy you want you take him. Doesn't matter where the so called experts claimed he should go. Just don't be stupid and think an obvious 4th round talent is a first round talent.

Passing on a player you really like and losing him to another team because some draft guru claimed he should go lower is stupid.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It may have been mentioned in this thread. I don't have time to read back through, but Floyd WAS Notre Dame ONLY offensive weapon for the years he was in South Bend.

He was their #1 receiver.

The kid can ball. He is just out of sorts right now.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
If you see a guy you want you take him. Doesn't matter where the so called experts claimed he should go. Just don't be stupid and think an obvious 4th round talent is a first round talent.

Passing on a player you really like and losing him to another team because some draft guru claimed he should go lower is stupid.
That's understandable. But I don't think the team build their draft board based on draft gurus. I think they do their own homework. It may have weaknesses, but they build based on what they see and they go by the draft board on draft day.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Sorry that's your opinion not mine and based on howbad the OL is and how Floyd has played your opinion looks no better than mine.
Look, I understand what you are saying and do not disagree with the premise. I would love to have better tackles right now. All I'm saying, based on the draft board, the team did not think any of the OL was worth a first round pick where they stood and we did not have a second round pick. I'm sure they looked at possibilities of trading down but it takes two to tango.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Meanwhile Kendall Wright had 8 catches today for that abysmal Titans offense.

He now has 26 for the season and 2 TDs. Catching a lot of short passes apparently.

For a WR it really makes a difference where you go. Does Tennessee have anyone else to throw to? Arizona sure does.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may have been mentioned in this thread. I don't have time to read back through, but Floyd WAS Notre Dame ONLY offensive weapon for the years he was in South Bend.

He was their #1 receiver.

The kid can ball. He is just out of sorts right now.

Makes the 5-0 start this year even more incredible when they lost their only offense.

He was a very good college player, I think he'll eventually be a good pro player. I just think when OL is such a glaring problem on this team it's a shame that the guy we picked in lieu of OL, is making such minimal impact so far.

He'll eventually come around, of course we may be down to Lindley by the time he learns the plays and how to line up. We already lost one QB and it's a surprise Kolb isn't out too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser