Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh believe me I agree (although being in the east vs. the west is a huge difference).

A team of
Garnett
Kendirck Perkins
ryan gomes
pierce
delonte west bench: rajon rondo, leon powe, wally, scalabrine

They wouldn't even have that. They need to include at least 2 or 3 more players with Ratliff, Jefferson and #5 to make a trade work.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF? Barbosa is garbage? When did the 6th Man of the Year become a horrible player?

most people aren't included Barbs in the deal on this board. I'm talking about the Marion, KT, 24 and 29 ridiculouso deal floating around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pierce + KG and only scrubs isn't a serious contender, not even in the East, sorry.

Lebron+Z plus better players, Chicago, Wade+Shaq + better players, Detroit... I am sorry.

yeah, I think you're wrong. we'll see.

Again, any team who has a superstar inside/out combo with scrubs can challenge in the East and Pierce and Garnett would be that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its all about what Garnett wants. If he forces the Twolves to trade him to a team that he views as a title contender, then he's going to need a lot of convincing to sign an extension with Boston (like you said they have a shot in the East but not for a title).

Hell, I think KG would just be salivating just to get to a Finals. Once there, who knows what could happen, especially with the West beating the crap out of each other.

bottom line, I need a deal to get done one or another because I am wasting SO MUCH FREAKING TIME HERE!!!!!!!

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hell, I think KG would just be salivating just to get to a Finals. Once there, who knows what could happen, especially with the West beating the crap out of each other.

bottom line, I need a deal to get done one or another because I am wasting SO MUCH FREAKING TIME HERE!!!!!!!

The sad thind is any deal ain't get done until about draft time, so we have a week more of this.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If the Suns get Garnett, the main guy responsible will be KG himself. His opt-out gives him a lot of leverage, and his loyalty gives him a tiny bit more, so if KG spits on Paul Pierce and Boston, the Suns have a chance at him.

Even so, it's hard to see the Suns getting KG without giving up Barbosa, but stranger things have happened, I suppose...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let's just hope Garnett doesn't go McDyess on the Suns

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Here is the latest from Stein at espn.

Garnett lacks a no-trade clause like Bryant's, but he's only a year from having the right to leave Minnesota without compensation. KG can become a free agent in the summer of 2008 if he's willing to forfeit his $23 million salary in 2008-09. Bryant can't put the Lakers under the same pressure until a year from now, with his right to become a free agent on hold until the summer of '09.

"That's why Garnett, to me, has the bigger hammer," said one Eastern Conference executive.

That's also one reason why in Garnett's case, unlike Kobe's, there already have been actual trade conversations this month.

Boston's Danny Ainge has acknowledged discussing Garnett possibilities with the Wolves, and the Suns, according to NBA front-office sources, are talking to them, as well. After three straight seasons out of the playoffs with Garnett, it appears Minnesota finally has realized it must consider dealing Garnett and starting over because it lacks the trade assets or salary-cap flexibility to significantly improve the cast around him.

The big change with the Wolves, sources say, is that, for the first time in his tenure, owner Glen Taylor is unexpectedly ready to "take the lead" on moving Garnett. Shopping KG? Not exactly. Gauging KG's trade value and listening to salivating suitors make their pitches, with Taylor knowing he'll have to stand up and say this was his call if a deal goes through? It's happening.

Kevin Garnett

Melissa Majchrzak/NBAE/Getty Images

Playing alongside Steve Nash might get a thumbs-up from KG.

Which team would be more likely to get KG: Boston or Phoenix?

Because free agency is potentially just one year away for Garnett, he can discourage interested teams by sending word that he won't re-sign. I'm also told that the Wolves, in a nod to KG's 12 seasons of loyal service, intend to give him input, regardless.

Knowing that -- and knowing as we do that Steve Nash and Garnett have become good pals over the years after playing in several All-Star Games together -- it's safe to say he'd much prefer the desert.

The signals coming from the desert, though, don't make the Suns' chances sound very encouraging, with Minnesota seeking to build the return package around Stoudemire.

In spite of Amare's inexperience at 24 and some clashes of ego with Marion, he still ranks as the first high-flying victim of microfracture knee surgery to beat the most dreaded affliction in the NBA. Which means he's probably worth keeping around, right? You certainly can argue that the Suns would be better in the short term with Garnett -- especially when it comes to dealing with Tim Duncan -- but Stoudemire's presence would give them a chance to stay in the league's elite after Nash, 33, retires.

You safely can assume that Garnett also saw how the Finals played out and that he knows Greg Oden and Kevin Durant will be in the Northwest Division by next week. Boston would have to part with Al Jefferson, the No. 5 pick and more in next week's draft if it wants KG, but the Celts surely will point out to KG and his people that a Garnett-Paul Pierce tag team will have real hope of getting to the Finals no matter who's around those two.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here is the latest from Stein at espn.

Garnett lacks a no-trade clause like Bryant's, but he's only a year from having the right to leave Minnesota without compensation. KG can become a free agent in the summer of 2008 if he's willing to forfeit his $23 million salary in 2008-09. Bryant can't put the Lakers under the same pressure until a year from now, with his right to become a free agent on hold until the summer of '09.

"That's why Garnett, to me, has the bigger hammer," said one Eastern Conference executive.

That's also one reason why in Garnett's case, unlike Kobe's, there already have been actual trade conversations this month.

Boston's Danny Ainge has acknowledged discussing Garnett possibilities with the Wolves, and the Suns, according to NBA front-office sources, are talking to them, as well. After three straight seasons out of the playoffs with Garnett, it appears Minnesota finally has realized it must consider dealing Garnett and starting over because it lacks the trade assets or salary-cap flexibility to significantly improve the cast around him.

The big change with the Wolves, sources say, is that, for the first time in his tenure, owner Glen Taylor is unexpectedly ready to "take the lead" on moving Garnett. Shopping KG? Not exactly. Gauging KG's trade value and listening to salivating suitors make their pitches, with Taylor knowing he'll have to stand up and say this was his call if a deal goes through? It's happening.

Kevin Garnett

Melissa Majchrzak/NBAE/Getty Images

Playing alongside Steve Nash might get a thumbs-up from KG.

Which team would be more likely to get KG: Boston or Phoenix?

Because free agency is potentially just one year away for Garnett, he can discourage interested teams by sending word that he won't re-sign. I'm also told that the Wolves, in a nod to KG's 12 seasons of loyal service, intend to give him input, regardless.

Knowing that -- and knowing as we do that Steve Nash and Garnett have become good pals over the years after playing in several All-Star Games together -- it's safe to say he'd much prefer the desert.

The signals coming from the desert, though, don't make the Suns' chances sound very encouraging, with Minnesota seeking to build the return package around Stoudemire.

In spite of Amare's inexperience at 24 and some clashes of ego with Marion, he still ranks as the first high-flying victim of microfracture knee surgery to beat the most dreaded affliction in the NBA. Which means he's probably worth keeping around, right? You certainly can argue that the Suns would be better in the short term with Garnett -- especially when it comes to dealing with Tim Duncan -- but Stoudemire's presence would give them a chance to stay in the league's elite after Nash, 33, retires.

You safely can assume that Garnett also saw how the Finals played out and that he knows Greg Oden and Kevin Durant will be in the Northwest Division by next week. Boston would have to part with Al Jefferson, the No. 5 pick and more in next week's draft if it wants KG, but the Celts surely will point out to KG and his people that a Garnett-Paul Pierce tag team will have real hope of getting to the Finals no matter who's around those two.

It's obvious minnesota is holding out for amare. Tell them its either the marion package or nothing, if they want amare they can wait until he opts out of his contract, cause he aint leaving here for nothing less than tim duncan and tony parker.

Crash

Registered
Reaction score
It's obvious minnesota is holding out for amare. Tell them its either the marion package or nothing, if they want amare they can wait until he opts out of his contract, cause he aint leaving here for nothing less than tim duncan and tony parker.

I agree!

Crash

Registered
Reaction score
I can hear it now. (Mr Kerr, you have a phone call from Mr Mchale on line #1.)

SK: Hello Kevin
KM: Hi Steve
KM: I'm calling on the avalibility of Amare
SK: Did you guys trade for Tony Parker and Tim Duncan
KM: Ummm, No why?
SK: Because unless you have those two to offer don't even bring up Amare's name.
KM: Are you serious?
SK: Yes, When Sarver hired me the first thing he said was and I quote "You try and trade Amare and I will not only fire you, but I will have hitmen visit your house." They (Sarver and Amare) are buddies.
KM: Well KG really wants to become a Phoenix Sun.
SK: Not going to happen if it involves Amare!
KM: Well I might just leak a rumor to the press that we are about to pull off a trade involing those two.
SK: Have fun
KM: Then Phoenix fans will make you pull this trade off.
SK: Ok

(Rumor starts on the internet from a "reliable sorce" that Wolves are about to ship KG to Phx.) Everybody assumes it's Marion. 2 days later the rumor turns and it's Amare not Marion that is involed.

(Suns tell AzCentral) Amare not going anywhere.

Mchale's plan backfires, Phoenix fans are laughing at the prospect of Amare getting traded. At the same time warn the Suns front office that US Airways Center would be burned if Kerr tried something that stupid with his first trade as GM.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Agreed...you don't trade Amare, pretty much no matter what. I like KG, but if it costs Amare I want no part of it. Amare has the talent and desire to be one of the best big men in the history of the game (not to sound like Bill Walton, who loves Amare).

Crash

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, you see Amare is a freak of nature. He not only came back from microfacture surgery, He came back a better overall player. And as a lot of people that have had this surgery have said. It takes 1-2 years before they are "back to normal". Amare has something that a lot of players don't have. That is the drive to become the best ever. He has the work ethic to back it up also. I can only name a few player like that. I'm watching the news today and they were showing draft prospects working out at the arena. Geuss who was there working out. Amare is a basketballaholic and I expect that he will be that much better next year being that much farther away from his surgery. The Suns will be better next year even if they don't do anything.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If Marion was a primary scoring option, then I'd agree. But his main value is a as a defender, rebounder, and someone who is very good on the break. Everyone gets upset with him because he's not a Carmelo, but that's not what he's about.

If it was not for the money, I don't think Marion would get so much grief. When you compare his stats to Tayshaun Prince he compares pretty well:
3P%.386
MPG36.6

On stats alone, Marion is top-10 in NBA. But we'd have won the series against Spurs easily, had we had Prince instead of Marion on the team. Period.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
On stats alone, Marion is top-10 in NBA. But we'd have won the series against Spurs easily, had we had Prince instead of Marion on the team. Period.

And you know this how? :shrug:

Prince averaged a whopping 9.4ppg, 6.2rpg, all while shooting a blisterting 26.8% from the field... against freaking Cleveland. What was he going to do against San Antonio's defense?

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
can prince shut down or even limit the production of parker?

Much better than Marion! Prince is a better perimeter defender than Marion. And more importantly, he would abuse Parker on the low post while Marion got shut down by Parker! eek.

cly2tw

Reaction score
And you know this how? :shrug:

Prince averaged a whopping 9.4ppg, 6.2rpg, all while shooting a blisterting 26.8% from the field... against freaking Cleveland. What was he going to do against San Antonio's defense?

As I said to dodie, Parker would have to defend Nash and Bowen on Prince. That alone would have given us the series, since Nash would have been more effective without Bowen on him, Parker would have to spend more energy chasing Nash, and would face tougher defense in Prince.