Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Another article drops a hint

http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_6181525?nclick_check=1

Near the bottom of the article:
Latest Kevin Garnett trade rumor: The Wolves send the 31-year-old all-star to the Phoenix Suns in a convoluted three-way deal with the Boston Celtics that includes Shawn Marion going to Boston and Minnesota getting the No. 5 pick from the Celtics, plus several young players. The Wolves already have the No. 7 overall pick in the June 28 draft. It's unclear, though, how Garnett's $22 million salary would match up for the deal.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The three way deal is probably the most likely format, but only as a salary dump by the Wolves.

KG does not want to go to Boston. It's a better team than the Wolves (or at least in a weaker conference), but not enough to make a difference.

The Suns won't give the Wolves anything they need if Amare is off the table. Marion has no real value to a rebuilding team like the Wolves.

But a deal that sends Marion to Boston, West, Ratliff, Thomas and a bunch of picks to the Wolves, and KG to the Suns has some potential. There are other things that are needed to balance the deal for cap purposes but this is essence.

Boston gets an All Star for a pick and expiring contracts.

Minnesota gets cap relief and a bunch of picks to start over with

Phoenix gets KG and keeps its core

It's not clear McHale is ready to go down this road, but KG might give him no choice. In any case, this is the only kind of scenerio that makes much sense.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
The three way deal is probably the most likely format, but only as a salary dump by the Wolves.

KG does not want to go to Boston. It's a better team than the Wolves (or at least in a weaker conference), but not enough to make a difference.

The Suns won't give the Wolves anything they need if Amare is off the table. Marion has no real value to a rebuilding team like the Wolves.

But a deal that sends Marion to Boston, West, Ratliff, Thomas and a bunch of picks to the Wolves, and KG to the Suns has some potential. There are other things that are needed to balance the deal for cap purposes but this is essence.

It's not clear McHale is ready to go down this road, but KG might give him no choice. In any case, this is the only kind of scenerio that makes much sense.

That is exactly my prediction except Gomes instead of West in the trade, as I dont think minnesota would want another point guard.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=3960907
with #29 to boston and ATL 08 to minny if necessary

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Marion, Diaw, #24, #29, Atlanta 08 pick for Garnett...

I would jump all over that.

Not me. Way too much to give up for KG. Remove Diaw or some picks, and it gets more fair.

KG alone would not make up for the production of all those pieces (Marion + Diaw + the assumption that at least one of the 3 picks plays a useful role in an 8-10 man rotation).

Marion + another starter caliber player is more then fair value, actually, if KG wants out of Minny. Marion is younger, cheaper and has very similar stats at SF to KG. KG is bigger, has more intangibles in his favor, and is more marketable.

The other thing - folks need to stop undervaluing Diaw. Take a look at most of the SF in this years highly rated draft and look at the 'upside' NBA comparison for them on the various sites - it is often 'Boris Diaw'.

Yes - Doris had a crappy year, but if he gets his act together, he is a heck of a talent. GMs should never sell low on talent like he showed in 05-06. Folks want to dump him for cents on the dollar - big mistake. Give it another year, and the same cents on the dollar trades will be there next summer if needed. He is young enough, someone will take a flyer on him at that point.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man if we had the #4, KG would be a Sun already. Damn draft lottery.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score

Well stated. I agree with the other thought mentioned that a Boston team of Pierce/Marion/Jefferson is better then Pierce/KG.

Not to belabor the point, but I really think Marion with a decent passing PG playing in an uptempo offense is going to give SIMILAR (not identical) statistical production for a team as Garnett.

KG will provide some great intangibles that Shawn lacks, which have been discussed ad nauseum here, but if you are trying to build a winning team, it is not about assembling a roster full of all-stars. It's about fit, teamwork, balance, etc, etc.

For Boston, Pierce/Marion/Jefferson would give them a nice inside/out balance, assuming they want to run a fair amount. Jefferson can play low-post with Pierce and Shawn on the wings slashing and shooting. Shawn can do his thing with defense, rebounding and loose ball scoring. Pierce can be option #1 in crunchtime, but have Shawn as #2 option with more plays called for him.

That team makes the playoffs in the East, and probably makes it to ECF.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Well stated. I agree with the other thought mentioned that a Boston team of Pierce/Marion/Jefferson is better then Pierce/KG.

Not to belabor the point, but I really think Marion with a decent passing PG playing in an uptempo offense is going to give SIMILAR (not identical) statistical production for a team as Garnett.

KG will provide some great intangibles that Shawn lacks, which have been discussed ad nauseum here, but if you are trying to build a winning team, it is not about assembling a roster full of all-stars. It's about fit, teamwork, balance, etc, etc.

For Boston, Pierce/Marion/Jefferson would give them a nice inside/out balance, assuming they want to run a fair amount. Jefferson can play low-post with Pierce and Shawn on the wings slashing and shooting. Shawn can do his thing with defense, rebounding and loose ball scoring. Pierce can be option #1 in crunchtime, but have Shawn as #2 option with more plays called for him.

That team makes the playoffs in the East, and probably makes it to ECF.

that team looks a lot like the cavaliers, actually.

fordronken

Reaction score
If we trade Marion for Garnett, I would think that Barbosa has to be involved in that deal, which obviously kills our bench.

On the other hand, we'd have Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash and Kevin Garnett on our team. So that'd be pretty cool.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the rumors have any teeth to them, it sounds like the Suns are really dragging their heels on including Barbosa. I wonder if the Wolves, for some inexplicable reason, would actually rather have Diaw?

In any case, I'm now persuaded by the "where there's smoke there's fire" theory. I do believe something is being discussed. Now if only it could work out!

You know what will be hilarious? If Stern announces the trade during the draft and all Suns fans cheer him.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Diaw would replace Garnett on the Wolves, they are kind of similiar except Boris is 6'9 and KG is 7'. Boris is a clearly better passer, KG is a clearly better rebounder.

Man Diaw was really really good before this season.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diaw would replace Garnett on the Wolves, they are kind of similiar except Boris is 6'9 and KG is 7'. Boris is a clearly better passer, KG is a clearly better rebounder.

Man Diaw was really really good before this season.

That sounds like something dbackssunscardswhoelse would say.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, seeing the blurb in the twin cities rag just put me in the elindholm camp of actually starting to believe this is possible. but I think it take Barbs to really get it done. I would be STOKED beyond belief if it didn't, but man, I just don't know.

I do think that a host of expiring contracts, the #5 pick and Atlanta's pick is a pretty good deal for the Wolves - if only, we didn't get screwed in the lotto. If the Wolves had the chances to draft 4, 5 and 7 this year, I think the deal would be done. there's no better way to start over then with a lot of cap room and three high lotto picks in the deepest draft in 20 years. Damn the lotto! Damn it all to hell!

Nash
Bell
James Jones
Amare
KG

Grant Hill
Barbs
Diaw

Are you kidding me? That is just too good to be true right there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, seeing the blurb in the twin cities rag just put me in the elindholm camp of actually starting to believe this is possible. but I think it take Barbs to really get it done. I would be STOKED beyond belief if it didn't, but man, I just don't know.

I do think that a host of expiring contracts, the #5 pick and Atlanta's pick is a pretty good deal for the Wolves - if only, we didn't get screwed in the lotto. If the Wolves had the chances to draft 4, 5 and 7 this year, I think the deal would be done. there's no better way to start over then with a lot of cap room and three high lotto picks in the deepest draft in 20 years. Damn the lotto! Damn it all to hell!

Nash
Bell
Anybody BUT James Jones
Amare
KG

Grant Hill
Barbs
Diaw

Are you kidding me? That is just too good to be true right there.

Fixed that for you.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed that for you.

eh, I'd be okay with Jones in there - Iwould think with all the defense really being out of control, focussing on THREE HOF-type players, he'd have to be SOOOOOO wide open that he couldn't miss at the same rate he did this year. Besides, he'd be out of the game within 6 minutes, probably getting 12 max for the game, just so we could run people off the floor with the second unit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much for the RealGM source?

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_6186402?nclick_check=1

WOLVES: McHale says team has no plans to trade Garnett
BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 06/20/2007 12:29:59 PM CDT

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } Minnesota Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale said today he has had conversations with teams about all-star forward Kevin Garnett, but it is just part of normal trade talk this time of year.
"We don't have a deal for Kevin Garnett," McHale said. "At this time of year all the teams are talking to each other. Everybody talks to each other ... it's just speculation."
McHale said the team continues to have no plans to trade Garnett.
"Nothing has really changed," he said. "You always listen. Guys call up and say we'd like to look at this or that. You listen. It doesn't go very far and it hasn't gone very far right now. Who knows what is going to happen? We are not actively out shopping Kevin Garnett around the NBA, I can tell you that. We've had different phone calls every year."

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So much for the RealGM source?

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_6186402?nclick_check=1

WOLVES: McHale says team has no plans to trade Garnett
BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 06/20/2007 12:29:59 PM CDT

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } Minnesota Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale said today he has had conversations with teams about all-star forward Kevin Garnett, but it is just part of normal trade talk this time of year.
"We don't have a deal for Kevin Garnett," McHale said. "At this time of year all the teams are talking to each other. Everybody talks to each other ... it's just speculation."
McHale said the team continues to have no plans to trade Garnett.
"Nothing has really changed," he said. "You always listen. Guys call up and say we'd like to look at this or that. You listen. It doesn't go very far and it hasn't gone very far right now. Who knows what is going to happen? We are not actively out shopping Kevin Garnett around the NBA, I can tell you that. We've had different phone calls every year."

mchale is out of a job regardless of what he does. if he sits on his hands and waits for KG to walk for nothing....gone. if he trades KG for a bunch of picks and this rebuilding takes 3 or 4 years.. gone.

i think its more likely than not KG is going to get traded..now is the best time to do it with the deepest draft in recent memory being 8 days away.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the rumors have any teeth to them, it sounds like the Suns are really dragging their heels on including Barbosa. I wonder if the Wolves, for some inexplicable reason, would actually rather have Diaw?

IMO a package of Marion and Diaw would be great for a team. We all saw how well these 2 complimented each other a year ago.

If another GM bevieves that Amare was the reason for Diaw's drop off this might be appealing.