Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By the way, I did check Real GM and the salaries work, although it does mention the issue of KT's player option as being a complication.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As I said before, this works only if KG insists AND McHale decides to do a massive salary dump for picks.

Well duh. Of course the Wolves won't trade Garnett unless they believe he's as good as gone anyway. And if they do trade him, naturally the main thing they'll be looking for is a salary dump and picks. No other player on a big contract is both (a) available and (b) in a position to help them.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
well, seeing the blurb in the twin cities rag just put me in the elindholm camp of actually starting to believe this is possible. but I think it take Barbs to really get it done. I would be STOKED beyond belief if it didn't, but man, I just don't know.

I do think that a host of expiring contracts, the #5 pick and Atlanta's pick is a pretty good deal for the Wolves - if only, we didn't get screwed in the lotto. If the Wolves had the chances to draft 4, 5 and 7 this year, I think the deal would be done. there's no better way to start over then with a lot of cap room and three high lotto picks in the deepest draft in 20 years. Damn the lotto! Damn it all to hell!

Nash
Bell
James Jones
Amare
KG

Grant Hill
Barbs
Diaw

Are you kidding me? That is just too good to be true right there.

Well boys it's official! We got the pessimists/realists/cynics on board - now lets get the deal done! :thumbup:

For the record Cheese if a healthy Grant Hill is on this team there is no way Junior even gets a spot start. I also think Boris will be much more comfortable next year playing with two other go-to scorers (God willing) in the front court as he will his lack of agressivness will not be as pronounced as it is with Marion on the floor. I'm hoping Junior doesn't see the light of day actually.....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what will be hilarious? If Stern announces the trade during the draft and all Suns fans cheer him.

That would be pretty funny. I think I might actually cheer too.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The claim that Marion disappears is just a total myth. In the playoffs, Marion's rebounds per game went up and his scoring as a percentage of the total was up in the Laker series and down only 0.2% from the regular season.

Your argument is worthless.... There are so few games in the playoffs he could have scored 5 points in 1 game and 35 in another and still have a 20 point average. Bottom line you can't compare an 82 game season of averages to the 11 games he played in the playoffs

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, yes. I forgot about the one thing that could derail a trade that actually makes sense for everyone... the buffoon otherwise known as Kevin McHale. That puts me back in the "this'll never happen" camp.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Well boys it's official! We got the pessimists/realists/cynics on board - now lets get the deal done! :thumbup:

For the record Cheese if a healthy Grant Hill is on this team there is no way Junior even gets a spot start. I also think Boris will be much more comfortable next year playing with two other go-to scorers (God willing) in the front court as he will his lack of agressivness will not be as pronounced as it is with Marion on the floor. I'm hoping Junior doesn't see the light of day actually.....

I think he does, or at least he gets the nod to start the season to see if his shooting confidence ever comes back. Hill's not getting any younger, so we'd need to see if James Jones could develop the confidence on the offensive end. If not, then we know we need to look elsewhere for an eventual starting SF. We know what we get with him defensively, which is pretty solid IMO.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just to hedge my bets, I didn't say I think it's happening -- only that I suspect there have been talks.

The prospect of a starting lineup that includes Nash, Garnett, Stoudemire, and Grant Hill is, well, awesome.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Just to hedge my bets, I didn't say I think it's happening -- only that I suspect there have been talks.

The prospect of a starting lineup that includes Nash, Garnett, Stoudemire, and Grant Hill is, well, awesome.

Quite possibly the most beautiful understatement of all time.....

fordronken

Reaction score
My Solution To The Barbosa Dilemma

Minnesota Trades:
Kevin Garnett
Ricky Davis
#42 Draft Pick

Minnesota Receives:
Kurt Thomas
Leandro Barbosa
Delonte West
Theo Ratliff
Marcus Banks
#5 Draft Pick
#24 Draft Pick
#29 Draft Pick

Celtics Trade:
Delonte West
Theo Ratliff
#5 Draft Pick
#31 Draft Pick

Celtics Receive:
Shawn Marion

Suns Trade:
Shawn Marion
Leandro Barbosa
Marcus Banks
#24 Draft Pick
#29 Draft Pick

Suns Receive
Kevin Garnett
Ricky Davis
#31 Draft Pick
#42 Draft Pick

Breakdown
Celtics get their original trade desire done, except they give up their second rounder as well.

Timberwolves get a great backcourt mate for Randy Foye, a combo guard off the bench (West), cap relief and end up with four first rounders in a deep draft.

Suns get Kevin Garnett without losing Amare Stoudemire. They also have to give up Barbosa and two first rounders, but Davis is a legit bench scorer who will flourish in this system and two second rounders. They also get to dump Marcus Banks.

To me, every team almost gets exactly what they want, which is generally how most trades go in the NBA.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'm down for that trade!

My only concern is Davis' head. Remember the intentional missed shot so he could get a rebound for a triple double? He completely muffed it, if I recall correctly.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
PS - I REALLY like the 2 2nd rounders. Man, if we can come out of this with Garnett, Davis, Chris Richard and Jared Jordan, I'd be sick with joy....

Nash-Banks-Jordan
Bell-Davis
Hill-Jones
Garnett-Diaw
Stoudemire-Thomas-Richard

Yes!

fordronken

Reaction score
PS - I REALLY like the 2 2nd rounders. Man, if we can come out of this with Garnett, Davis, Chris Richard and Jared Jordan, I'd be sick with joy....

Nash-Banks-Jordan
Bell-Davis
Hill-Jones
Garnett-Diaw
Stoudemire-Thomas-Richard

Yes!

Don't forget that Banks and Thomas are gone in the trade.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think he does, or at least he gets the nod to start the season to see if his shooting confidence ever comes back. Hill's not getting any younger, so we'd need to see if James Jones could develop the confidence on the offensive end. If not, then we know we need to look elsewhere for an eventual starting SF. We know what we get with him defensively, which is pretty solid IMO.

Listen - no one is as disappointed about what happened with Diaw last season than myself but lets keep perspective here people.

Boris came to camp out of shape and struggled to adjust to a significant front court addition in Amare.

But lets not forget the player he was in the Dallas series in 2005. He has already shown this offseason a commitment to coming in to shap next year and working with Amare. And i think the addition of KG (God Willing:notworthy ) would take a lot of pressure off him and allow him to be his best.

Just like it was insane of us to think he was going to be a perennial All-Star after 2005 it just as crazy to think he can't adjust and bring his game back to the level it needs to be at for us to be successful.

I believe in Diaw. Just lay off the crossaints Boris....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ah, yes. I forgot about the one thing that could derail a trade that actually makes sense for everyone... the buffoon otherwise known as Kevin McHale. That puts me back in the "this'll never happen" camp.
I think when all is said and done McHale won't budge unless he gets Jefferson, Barbosa, and the #5. The Suns are obviously willing to trade out Marion, Barbosa, and the Atlanta pick for KG. So it comes down to Ainge believing Atlanta's 2008 pick, Marion, and whatever else the Suns are willing to throw in is worth the #5 and Jefferson.

The curse part of this trade is would have already been done had they called the Hawks name fourth to last during the Draft Lottery or if we had bothered to draft any decent prospect (or anyone in general) over the last few years.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From the boston real gm message board, eei reporting:

the new rumored out of MN is wally, theo, west, the # 5 and i think gomes for kg and hudson.

Which mchale would have to be coked up to take.

but also on minny board:

that everything is in place for KG to go to Boston, but offers are still bring tossed around..this was posted in the celtics realgm forum by a moderator

The question is, is this squeezing by everyone to get more out of the suns, or is Boston really in the driver seat?

Also I think we are discounting how much celtic fans and mangement love al jefferson. Bill simmons (who also has a column today saying it is an idiotic move for the celts) compares him to dwight howard, he averaged 16/11 his third year out of high school.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the trade above, Boston is giving up too much, just to get Marion.

I think that the Suns would need to give Minnesota the ATL pick, and Boston the #29.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think when all is said and done McHale won't budge unless he gets Jefferson, Barbosa, and the #5. The Suns are obviously willing to trade out Marion, Barbosa, and the Atlanta pick for KG. So it comes down to Ainge believing Atlanta's 2008 pick, Marion, and whatever else the Suns are willing to throw in is worth the #5 and Jefferson.

The curse part of this trade is would have already been done had they called the Hawks name fourth to last during the Draft Lottery,

No, jefferson will not be available for marion. They view jefferson very highly.

McHale is not, nor expecting, to come out of this with both jefferson and barbosa. If he is, they should just end talks and let kg play out the final year of his contract.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The #31 pick has more value than the #29, probably, so it would make more sense for Boston to send the 31 to Minnesota and let Phoenix stay at 29.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So you think McHale will take #5, Barbosa, and expiring and/or albatross K's?

If he wants jefferson/#5 he'll deal with boston, and the suns are out. Why the hell would boston give up #5/jefferson for marion?

Guess what, if #5/2008atl/19 million expiring contracts and POSSIBLY barbosa isn't enough, the suns aren't getting Garnett, period.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Ainge fleeces McHale with that crap, I'm penciling in the Celtics for the NBA Finals next year.

honestly, it doesn't make sense why Minny would do that, rather than also get more picks from us, sending him this way and sending Marion to Boston (unless the Marion to Boston for picks/players rumor was bogus, which it veery well could be).

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If he wants jefferson/#5 he'll deal with boston, and the suns are out. Why the hell would boston give up #5/jefferson for marion?

Guess what, if #5/2008atl/19 million expiring contracts and POSSIBLY barbosa isn't enough, the suns aren't getting Garnett, period.

marion/jefferson/pierce >>>>>>>>>>KG/pierce.